Home
MLB The Show 16 News Post

MLB The Show 16 arrives for everyone today, so we have started a new topic so everyone can join in with their impressions. Play a few games and post your impressions here!

Game: MLB The Show 16Reader Score: 8/10 - Vote Now
Platform: PS3 / PS4Votes for game: 23 - View All
MLB The Show 16 Videos
Member Comments
# 21 TheWarmWind @ 03/29/16 11:23 AM
Haven't played a game yet but spent some time doing batting practice this morning trying to work out how I'll play the game this year, and I have to say I'm a little underwhelmed at the new precision input engine.

I played directional on veteran to start out. I played as Bautista with Tillman pitching. First pitch in the zone is a high inside fastball. I see it all the way and time it perfectly. Foul tipped behind the plate. At first I think "Hey, maybe that was just a fluke. After all they didn't promise ALL well timed swings would result in hard hit balls." Too bad the rest of the batting practice went the same. Perfectly timed hits resulting in fouls and choppers.

Worst part is, I went back to center swinging on zone and got much better results.

I'm going to give directional another try later when I play a full game. There are a lot of things I like about it. Hope that my experience in batting practice was just an exception.

I also noticed an incredibly broken animation from the check swing. Yikes 20 minutes playing the game and I'm catching all the worst of it. Still, looking forward to this afternoon when I can play more.

# 22 AncientDiety @ 03/29/16 12:01 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by ajblithe20
Love the new lighting, especially at night. I also think they did a much better job this year with the new batting and pitching animations.

Only problem for me so far is the framerate is pretty bad. Hopefully it gets worked out as it really hurts the gameplay. Other than that, loving it
Pretty bad?? What? I assume this is hyperbole as it's been smooth for me.

# 23 Junior Moe @ 03/29/16 12:01 PM
This game is amazing! It's so damn gorgeous and smooth. I have played 3 games strait and bout to dive into the 4th after lunch. That says a lot considering I'm a casual (at best) baseball fan. I can actually mount an offense now. I always struggled with hitting in The Show on PS3. Now, I'm putting non HR points on the board. This out of the box. Great job, devs!!!

# 24 ajblithe20 @ 03/29/16 12:07 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by AncientDiety
Pretty bad?? What? I assume this is hyperbole as it's been smooth for me.
I've never had a problem with frame rate in MLB The Show. But the frame rate is much much lower right now than I've ever experienced. I believe you though.

# 25 Culture Rot @ 03/29/16 12:24 PM
Had to check the disc to make sure I wasn't playing last years game

# 26 teebee @ 03/29/16 12:31 PM
Someone needs to explain to SCEA what a foul tip is vs a foul ball because it's screwed up again this year #TheLittleThingsWrong

# 27 half-fast @ 03/29/16 12:35 PM
The game overall is much improved. Batting, pitching, visuals, but just one thing is getting me ... The framerate is a lot lower than normal, especially on the new fisheye cam. This distracts me quite a bit, and had no problems with other next gen mlb games.

Most fields from the batting perspective look really washed out and blurry. I suspect this is because of the lower framerate... They probably had to lower the texture of the field. Tough on the eyes at times.

# 28 countryboy @ 03/29/16 12:38 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by P.A.D.
Maybe it's just me, but I've played two full games and have already had 3 comebackers hit my pitcher resulting in easy outs and no injuries. Weren't they supposed to get out of the way of these more?
I have yet to see the pitcher get hit by the ball this year. (10 games)

# 29 trey2k198003 @ 03/29/16 12:39 PM
for that trade maybe they but some value in the 5 year diffrence between the catcher and cain and maybe his potential was super high?

Anyway i love the souind and the look of the game it looks much better and the fish eye cam is awesome for me on 15 i had issue witth off speed pitches this one works for me

i didnt think i would liek conquest but it was fun still need to figure it our but a nice distraction from franchise lol
i LOVE THE DYNAMIC difficulty!!!

# 30 tabarnes19_SDS @ 03/29/16 12:47 PM
Some quick observations...

I really love the feel of the game. Hit variety and feel of the ball off the bat is great. Pitching even feels better.

The animations and feel of fielding seem much better as well. The game feels fresh. I'm not sure how I feel about fish eye yet...

I am starting to play with franchise and have started some sims.

Pros:
I see they tweaked trade frequency this year back to where it used to be. I'm averaging about 35-40 regular season trades a year. Last year after the patch it was way too nerfed. The trade slider is great because now you can crank it up or down based on preference. I'm probably going to move the slider up a few notches. I don't think the logic has been horrible at all.

I love that players seem to hit free agency this year and are not all resigned in the exclusive period. I'm starting year 5 now in a sim.

Team stats seem pretty good. After year 4 no teams have sub 3.00 era's and no teams have over a .277 team average.

Cons.

I do not see any place to enable trade delay. I know some guys(Knight) are going to be disappointed that trades seem to be instant this year. Unless I'm missing something.

I don't like that some guys still get traded multiple times in a year.

I think there are too many sub 3 ERA guys
2016 had 25 2017 had 20 2018 had 20

.300 hitters
2016 had 15 2017 had 8 2018 had 15

My biggest beef is budgets right now. It appears that every team gets a budget increase each year no matter the record. It took to the 2019 season before I even got 2 teams to have a budget unchanged. It kind of defeats the purpose of budgets if everyone is getting 7-15% increases a year and teams have surpluses of money.

After 2018
budget surpluses in millions
mil 47mil tor 23 tex 27
stl 36 was 27 atl 24
ari 45 cle 25.5 phi 35
nyy 27 oak 61 cubs 20.5
tb 21 sea 34 cin 31

After 2019
9 teams 30+
2 teams that were 50+

This is definitely something that gets patched. It was similar last year until a patch tightened it up.

Going to stream the franchise testing if anyone is interested.
https://www.twitch.tv/tabarnes19

# 31 ATLiott @ 03/29/16 12:54 PM
Why did they take out GameWatch for RTTS? This is almost a game breaker for me. I pretty much only play RTTS and like to watch EVERY pitch of EVERY at bat of EVERY player. Why would they remove my ability to do this?

# 32 KennyJ1976 @ 03/29/16 12:55 PM
I'm loving the new fisheye cam. Some of the low pitches were hard to pick up at first but hey, that's baseball. My only small complaint so far is I wish they got more shoe brands this year. The generics are an eyesore compared to the name brands.

# 33 decga @ 03/29/16 01:06 PM
I picked up my MVP Edition today. I actually won't pop in the PS4 until after work at 11:30 p.m. & its all good!

# 34 hoosierjoe @ 03/29/16 01:07 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by ATLiott
Why did they take out GameWatch for RTTS? This is almost a game breaker for me. I pretty much only play RTTS and like to watch EVERY pitch of EVERY at bat of EVERY player. Why would they remove my ability to do this?
You are probably in the extreme minority there... the only time I have ever done that is in the 9th inning to see if a no-hitter is completed or to see the end of a series cinching game, etc. I can't imagine that many people spectate the entire game. Low user engagement with a feature = cut to make room for new improvements.

# 35 chris68pj @ 03/29/16 01:19 PM
Getting ready to start a game soon. Not sure why I was optimistic that the startup music would finally be changed after what, 4 years? Obviously it has nothing to do with gameplay, but at this rate I'm pretty sure we'll be hearing the same theme in MLB The Show 2025.

# 36 Simaofan-20 @ 03/29/16 01:34 PM
The framerate is a little odd. When the ball is in field and pitching its at 60 but batting for some reason seems to be running at a lower framerate.

Game is great though as usual, just something I noticed.

# 37 tabarnes19_SDS @ 03/29/16 02:01 PM
Here is a few examples of budgets taking off. With increases every year for all teams...There are a couple teams at budget over half of league has 20 million plus. Most of the rest have 13 million or more.

# 38 ozcore @ 03/29/16 02:09 PM
all in all this is an awesome game. i just played a couple of `` play now`` cause im waiting for osfm rosters to come out before i launch my d-backs franchise. 1st game i hit back to back taters with goldy & peralta and greinke had 16 strikeouts which was a 1st for me. graphics are amazing and the bat sound is just incredible. tried fisheye cam at 1st was not very familiar but after 2-3 games i got hooked,IMO i see the ball better with that cam.

kudos again to all the SCEA team.

# 39 DickDalewood @ 03/29/16 03:17 PM
Amazing game.

The new lighting, fish eye batting cam, and presentations are all fantastic. I'm also, surprisingly, really enjoying RTTS. Showtime is great and the added RPG elements are very engrossing.

This game easily trumps 15 which I absolutely loved. SCEA does it again.

# 40 Cowboy008 @ 03/29/16 03:34 PM
The game is great. It plays real smooth and the fisheye camera is awesome.

Post A Comment
Only OS members can post comments
Please login or register to post a comment.