Home
MLB The Show 16 News Post

MLB The Show 16 arrives for everyone today, so we have started a new topic so everyone can join in with their impressions. Play a few games and post your impressions here!

Game: MLB The Show 16Reader Score: 8/10 - Vote Now
Platform: PS3 / PS4Votes for game: 23 - View All
MLB The Show 16 Videos
Member Comments
# 101 aldon_47 @ 03/29/16 08:44 PM
One thing that jumped out immediately to me was how smoother the fielding animations are. There were times in 15 that animations would just take too long or there would be a little bit of a stutter from when the fielder caught the ball to when he began to throw it. I havent really noticed that as much this year. I played 15 almost year round and if I get even half of that time with 16, it will have been a great purchase.

# 102 Boss Rousseau @ 03/29/16 08:46 PM
Is it normal for the text on the stat overlays to be... like.. sloppy? or jagged, I guess.

The text doesn't look smooth and clean if that makes sense.

# 103 L_Thibs @ 03/29/16 08:47 PM
I'm not liking how the batters slide backwards in the batter's box on taken pitches.

***Upon further inspection, that only happened during the install portion of gameplay.***

# 104 canadianace15 @ 03/29/16 08:48 PM
down 1 run top of 9th 2 outs, pinch hit Justin Smoak...447 ft moon shot!!!

# 105 SoxFan01605 @ 03/29/16 08:48 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by fairplayleagues
I can't figure it out but the skin tones on the players don't look right at times, not sure what it is but maybe in 15 there were more lighting or more glossy skin flesh on 15 I am not seeing this on 16.
After playing some more, I noticed this too. Almost everyone seems to have a flat, washed out (almost yellow or grayish depending on the base skin tone) look.

I was actually wondering if either the changes made last year for realistic skin tones/more variety didn't make it this time for some reason or if maybe PBR is screwing with skin, because something is definitely off compared to 15.

# 106 Herschie @ 03/29/16 08:53 PM
I have to play another game of 15 to compare. I might just play that again. I'm really not crazy about 16. I don't like the cartoonish graphics, and something just seems a little off about this.

# 107 Simaofan-20 @ 03/29/16 09:05 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by IHateDuke32
Right, but is the frame rate something they're going to be able to fix/patch? This is the impressions thread, my first impressions are that I'm disappointed in the way the game looks. It hurts my eyes everytime a ball is in play.
It's possible to fix framerate with a patch

# 108 jake44np @ 03/29/16 09:05 PM
Quote:
I do like the game as I threw a perfect game my very first game last night, but there is a few things got me scratching my head.

* I can't figure it out but the skin tones on the players don't look right at times, not sure what it is but maybe in 15 there were more lighting or more glossy skin flesh on 15 I am not seeing this on 16.

* When viewing the players player card noway to see what his jersey number is and there career stats are wrong.

* The carry over year 2 year save from 15 to 16 has missing data, a lot of players have this white player model and face for even the African American players as well. No players in that have career stats at all.

* I am very disappointed that players who played in the 2015 season last year and were on the game then are missing, and sure they can be added back in updates, but they will be added back being a created version. I just feel like this part was rushed at the end and these players got over looked. Matt Joyce - http://www.baseball-reference.com/pl...oycema01.shtml played in 93 games last year for the Angels and should be on as a real player. There are about a few dozen the same example.

Other than these things listed above this game has a lot of potential, I love what Kirby has done with Commentary and PBR is there but not as noticeable as I thought it would be but all in the right direction.
The reason players are missing is because they are not playing this year and are no longer part of the players union so they cannot be in this years game.

# 109 DanH35 @ 03/29/16 09:09 PM
Just played my first game. Overall, the game plays a lot smoother to me. The fish eye camera looks really nice, but I couldn't hit at all with it. I switched to the MLB 16 hitting camera and did pretty well. I like the hit speed in the swing feedback window. The game I played was at Busch, I absolutely love that they got the rights to a few of the players with retired numbers and that they have their numbers and pictures on the left field wall. That's much better than having current players out there like they have had for the past few years.

# 110 dalger21 @ 03/29/16 09:10 PM
Noticed that in RttS when you hit a HR, it doesn't have the number to indicate how many it is for the season. Saw it in franchise but not in RttS.

# 111 Tomba @ 03/29/16 09:12 PM
Wasnt going to get this game this year.But the streams by Millinium convinced me. His stream was clear showing the show at a better glance. The fidelity of MLB 16 is really something but many key things hold it back from me personally saying it'd be my favorite sports title.

For me sports title either have one or two things going for them aside from graphics. animations and control and then the "wrapper" of what keeps them together as far as button icons and overlays...

Because its a yearly release things can become dated and stale. One of the glaring things for me is in how the show just doesnt have the hitting and pitching feel like you are in control. aas much as they add and shows us that the show is improved in that matter i feel it isnt.

Picking up a game like pys and you'll see right away that pitching and hitting feels organic and real. in the show you have to REALLY dig and merss around with setting to get something remotely as realistic. hitting animations are amazing in mlb 16 but pitching animations are always that good. the release of the ball and how how pitchers follow thru are generally slow. YOU CAN FIX IT BUT...you have to them go thru a bagillon pitching animations to see the same type of pitching animation for the pitcher having a faster follow through and that takes away from the game because then it becomes a editing process..

Guess what im saying is this...when it works it works and when it doesnt its somewhat fixable but ultimately a drag.

Nowadays we want pick up and play but that doesnt just mean easy quick menu interaction it means everything looks real right away..no need for tweaking.

Do i recommend it to someone who is reading this now and on the fence and looking at impressions and looking for detailed info?

well yes and no. One its a no brainer if you're a fan of video game baseball and pretty much your only choice unless like me you get pys2015(heaven on bluray) but two are you really into baseball?

MLB The Show in my eyes has ALWAYS been the system seller esp now on PS4 and its probably the best game on it so in that respect you getting would mean youre getting the best game on Ps4.

Game is Great this year but i would improve these 5 things

1) SCEA have done a fantastic job getting sponsors for player equipment. NOW get real life ad sponsors in stadiums lets make it look like their advertised in real life...get that deal with Budweiser guys! LOL

2) grass. although marginally improved the outfield grass is blurry. I dont like blurry it should be somewhat clean like it is in around. its been improved this year just not enough

3) slow down the pulse meter or completely revamp it as it has HUGE potential. id love a mechanic where where you release the ball that circular meter has a threshold you can press to or hold until it fills. very much like pys or mlb 2k mechanic i miss that here with the show...

4) Add a bat style cursor to hitting. you guys have the 'wedge" but it just doesnt feel like i can take that wedge and place it where the ball would or should make contact...hate to say it but just rip the mechanic from pys

5) achieve TRUE 60FPS... it stutters still and feel no better than MLB 15 or 14... its shame

and thats it.

I wont mention the obvious issue with player models alot are having, but i have a comprised..make it so that WE CAN edit their body types at lease? alot of players look squished

# 112 Speedy @ 03/29/16 09:14 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by mastershake88
This is MLB 15: The Show just with a few more gimmicks and buttons and features added to it.

-Zero upgrade to Camden Yards and zero upgrades to made to Minuite Maid Park. Like don't bother asking me to help in making improvements to the stadium through email if all what they did was just issue the same problems in another game.

-Same mundane uniforms. What is the use of helping the team with uniform suggestions when all what they're going to do is just put the same uniforms in the game year in and year out.

I'm done. Like if you want to repackage the same game over again that's fine. Just don't give me the illusion of "helping out".
So...

Your favorite team doesn't have the ballpark 100% correct or the jerseys aren't entirely perfect so it immediately ruined the game? I don't get it.

Turner field was incorrect for around 3 years (seats behind homeplate). It somewhat bothered me but enough to put the game down.

You do have a voice, at least on OS. Myself and another user posted in one the stadium threads about it in January of this year and suddenly it got added in 2016. We'll have a stadium missing feature thread soon enough for OS to point out the upgrades or missing features for 2017.

# 113 raneman85 @ 03/29/16 09:23 PM
Man the load time is terrible. Logo vault doesn't work and it takes forever to scroll the roster vault. Played a few innings and currently this is a huge letdown.

# 114 Stolm @ 03/29/16 09:27 PM
Just had my 3rd hard freeze in the last few hours.

Had this happen twice now while nearing completion of my RTTS character.

# 115 countryboy @ 03/29/16 09:31 PM
The more I play this game the more I absolutely enjoy it. I am now 15 games into Spring Training and every game has felt different.

# 116 mikeq672 @ 03/29/16 09:35 PM
Game was running fine this morning, but its unplayable right now, its taking minutes to just change screens, unbelievably disappointing.

# 117 Houston @ 03/29/16 09:36 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by jake44np
The reason players are missing is because they are not playing this year and are no longer part of the players union so they cannot be in this years game.
Matt Joyce made the Pirates and played 93 games for angels last year and made the pirates team this year, he should not be a created player made by them he should have his real player model as same goes for about 79 other players. I think what happen is they put all the legends this year into FREE AGENT 3 and that holds 60+ slots when free agent 1 & 2 only hold 40 so those being now in free agent 3 are taking slots from players that would be on the game etc...The legends should have there own area some where instead of free agent 3, same as last year real players started getting taken off the game because they had nowhere to put them when they had to add newer rookies onto the game.

# 118 strawberryshortcake @ 03/29/16 09:37 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tomba
Spoiler

Picking up a game like pys and you'll see right away that pitching and hitting feels organic and real. in the show you have to REALLY dig and merss around with setting to get something remotely as realistic. hitting animations are amazing in mlb 16 but pitching animations are always that good. the release of the ball and how how pitchers follow thru are generally slow. YOU CAN FIX IT BUT...you have to them go thru a bagillon pitching animations to see the same type of pitching animation for the pitcher having a faster follow through and that takes away from the game because then it becomes a editing process..
Spoiler
:
Wait, how do you change the pitcher's animation follow through for all players? This is one of the major things holding me back from buying mlb the show 15 and 16 this year, and probably the forseeable future. I still have 14. (The two other things I still have concerns with are player modelsalong with the outfielder and infielder throwing animations, and this includes cpu controlled players so it's not simply a matter of user controlled error).

The only reason why I might actually consider buying 16 is to use it as a resource to piece together real footage of pitchers and their counterpart to create a constructive massive image thread that will give SCEA visual evidence of how all pitchers follow through are simply too slow.

# 119 Simaofan-20 @ 03/29/16 09:43 PM
Quote:
Matt Joyce made the Pirates and played 93 games for angels last year and made the pirates team this year, he should not be a created player made by them he should have his real player model as same goes for about 79 other players. I think what happen is they put all the legends this year into FREE AGENT 3 and that holds 60+ slots when free agent 1 & 2 only hold 40 so those being now in free agent 3 are taking slots from players that would be on the game etc...The legends should have there own area some where instead of free agent 3, same as last year real players started getting taken off the game because they had nowhere to put them when they had to add newer rookies onto the game.
If you're not apart of the MLBPA you aren't apart of the game. Barry Bonds wasn't in several video games because of it.

# 120 Glenn33 @ 03/29/16 09:47 PM
Is it just me or are the menus extremely sluggish? Diamond dynasty especially?

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

Post A Comment
Only OS members can post comments
Please login or register to post a comment.