Home
Madden NFL 17 News Post

Madden NFL 17 is scheduled to release on PlayStation 4, Xbox One, PlayStation 3 and Xbox 360 on August 23. EA Sports and ESPN will announce the cover athlete on May 12 at 6:00 PM ET on SportsCenter (no cover vote this year). Along with the cover athlete announcement, they also plan to show off the first gameplay trailer from the game.

Read the full press release below.

EA SPORTS Football Franchise Warms up for Its Return to the Gridiron

Today Electronic Arts Inc. (NASDAQ: EA) announced that the Madden NFL 17 cover athlete will be revealed Thurs, May 12 live during the 6pm ET/3pm PT edition of ESPN SportsCenter. Fans can tune-in to check out which NFL phenom has earned cover honors this year, and also get their first look at an all-new gameplay trailer.

EA Access* members can try Madden NFL 17 before it’s released for a limited time as part of a Play First Trial, only on Xbox One.

Madden NFL 17 is developed in Orlando, Florida by EA Tiburon and will be available for Xbox One, Xbox 360®, PlayStation®4 and PlayStation®3 on August 23. To learn more about Madden NFL 17, visit http://www.easports.com/madden-nfl.

All player participation has been facilitated by NFL Players Inc., the licensing and marketing subsidiary of the NFL Players Association (NFLPA).

Game: Madden NFL 17Reader Score: 8/10 - Vote Now
Platform: PS3 / PS4 / Xbox 360 / Xbox OneVotes for game: 17 - View All
Member Comments
# 41 jvalverde88 @ 05/09/16 03:33 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brightline
Well that would be a huge risk, given his history. Ill say Cam or Manning.
Wouldn't be the first time:

# 42 sportsfan1976 @ 05/09/16 04:22 PM
And here we go

# 43 JKSportsGamer1984 @ 05/09/16 05:11 PM
So glad there's no cover vote this year. That was starting to get so played out. I'll be watching 5/12/16 hoping to see if the sideline player models got any love (no more high socks for every player, players wearing their on field facemask, hopefully names on back of jerseys, etc..) Oh & of course I'll be looking for any gameplay improvements as well.

# 44 Mike Lowe @ 05/09/16 05:43 PM
Won't read a word of the hype until these are fixed:

Injuries away from the ball.
Fix auto subs for accelerated clock.

# 45 jfsolo @ 05/09/16 06:30 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by DeuceDouglas
I'm interested to see what they do as well. With there being no real clear cut candidate I think it would be a great year to put AI at the forefront. I highly doubt it will happen but it's a huge area that is lacking and would help all around. The thing that keeps me skeptical about the line being changed is that they just went there in M15 so it's really quick to already be redoing or rebuilding on it. But I think it would be good to see some sort of upgrades in terms of multi-lineman animations and such similar to how they did WR/DB interaction last year which would be a big change to overall gameplay.

The one wildcard is that I feel like it is going to have to be something based around user control. So I could see them trying to implement a new passing system maybe but they have to be real careful with that given how the last time went. Outside of that it's hard to say. They could really use this year to clean up multiple areas and improve animations and more across the board without having to go all in on one thing.
You make a great point about the primary gameplay improvement that they focus the marketing on being something pertaining to User control. They may not go all in on thing, but there will definitely be some User based mechanic that received a larger percentage of the resources than everything thing else did.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SageInfinite
Definitely wanna see what the gameplay focus was this year. It's the first year I actually have no idea what they could try to work on. Not that the game doesn't need major work on the field, but this is the first year that there's no elephant in room as far as gameplay. Well besides the usually request for realistic animations and ai on offense and defense.
Like you, nothing immediately comes to mind as to what that number one game focus was.

# 46 wallofhate @ 05/09/16 07:07 PM
I'm looking forward to this. I liked 16 a lot especially with some fine tuning of the sliders and patches. I'm hoping they add a lot of lil things cosmetically and presentation wise. Add better animations and clean up the falling over each other and I'd be ecstatic

# 47 Rocky @ 05/09/16 07:17 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by SageInfinite
Definitely wanna see what the gameplay focus was this year. It's the first year I actually have no idea what they could try to work on. Not that the game doesn't need major work on the field, but this is the first year that there's no elephant in room as far as gameplay. Well besides the usually request for realistic animations and ai on offense and defense.
I gotta disagree there. The line play is pretty atrocious even compared to the old 2K games. Plus I could've sworn the developers said it was a priority this year.

# 48 roadman @ 05/09/16 07:50 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rocky
I gotta disagree there. The line play is pretty atrocious even compared to the old 2K games. Plus I could've sworn the developers said it was a priority this year.
I wouldn't say atrocious, either. I would say it's ok with need for more tweaks and improvement.

Just played a game last night where the line was opening up running lanes and was picking up blitzes with no standing around.

If they are working on improving it, great.

# 49 SolidSquid @ 05/09/16 08:00 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by roadman
I wouldn't say atrocious, either. I would say it's ok with need for more tweaks and improvement.

Just played a game last night where the line was opening up running lanes and was picking up blitzes with no standing around.

I would definitely say atrocious at times. I've seen first hand and through videos online that at times guys just refuse to block to certain players. Guards lets DTs go untouched at times almost immediately for a sack and Tackles do the same thing. As far as defensive line, ends still take weird angles at times.

Something really needs to be done with line play though as it's currently too rigid, too much win or lose. I'd like to see a DT bull rush a guard into the qbs lap and stick out an arm and grab hold of a shoulder pad or something. APF had a "reach" mechanic for things like this and I think it's something that is overlooked

# 50 Sheba2011 @ 05/09/16 08:06 PM
Cover is either going to be Peyton or Cam, and a small chance of Gronk. If it's anyone else I would be shocked.

# 51 roadman @ 05/09/16 08:10 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by SolidSquid
I would definitely say atrocious at times. I've seen first hand and through videos online that at times guys just refuse to block to certain players. Guards lets DTs go untouched at times almost immediately for a sack and Tackles do the same thing. As far as defensive line, ends still take weird angles at times.

Something really needs to be done with line play though as it's currently too rigid, too much win or lose. I'd like to see a DT bull rush a guard into the qbs lap and stick out an arm and grab hold of a shoulder pad or something. APF had a "reach" mechanic for things like this and I think it's something that is overlooked
I'll look closer, but I'm telling you, with my current sliders, I'm getting an efficient blocking game.

I'm just saying overall, it's not atrocious, if it was, I throw the game out after a few months instead of still playing on May 9th.

# 52 Dwaresacksqb @ 05/09/16 08:20 PM
Somebody mentioned in a different thread, forget who, forget which, that each lineman have only a certain zone area they are allowed to move within. They went into more detail but from what I gathered, it seemed to be the number one issue with the line play. Also how they are able to move within each zone was a problem as well. Like not turning around all the way to chase someone who got by them. It was a core mechanic that needed to be scrapped. They could improve the A.I. all they want but there will still be some issues with it unless they revamped it completely.

I'll search for the thread.

# 53 roadman @ 05/09/16 08:23 PM
Well, then shucks, I must be blind out of one eye and can't see out of the other, therefore, all blocking must be atrocious.

# 54 Rocky @ 05/09/16 08:48 PM
Quote:

I was referring more towards defensive line play and line interactions. It's waaaaay too simplistic currently.

# 55 Dwaresacksqb @ 05/09/16 08:49 PM
Quote:
Well, then shucks, I must be blind out of one eye and can't see out of the other, therefore, all blocking must be atrocious.

"1) This is largely do to using old school code that uses a static radius metric in regard/relation to the "LOS" for each blocking position on the "OL" to give a perception of a formed "pocket/arc".

- that's why "C" are rarely driven backwards, as there radius from the LOS is very small.
- G's have a slightly larger radius than C, but not much.
- T's have the greatest radius (which is why they're the only position that has blocking interaction that extends more than 4 yrds behind the LOS)

The OL will not break away from this "pocket" forming rule.
OL, TE's and RB's will slide and/or break out of blocking interactions to fulfill.
- even the RB's have a set radius and will not be driven backwards further than for the sake of the "pocket".

2) Reacting needs to be reversed.
- currently the DL/OLB's react only after the OL has moved.
- there is a very visible delay by the DL when the ball is snapped so the rule can take affect.
- even "Jump Snap" is marginalized to adhere to the rule.
- DL should lead into blocking interactions, not the OL.

3) Timing needs to be tuned (relating this with the OP)
- QB drop back is way too fast in relation to the defensive rush.
- this throws everything off because both AI and Hum QB's are "waiting" as the other aspects of the play, play catch up.

Much of the frustration is just dealing with aspects of "old code" that limit/hinder the desires they want to achieve.

Hopefully we will see a huge jump/change in M17!!!"

SportsGamer94, jfsolo and roadman like this.
khaliib is offline Report Post

You even liked the post roadman lol. But anyway, the line play this year was fine when it worked for the most part. Atrocious is a strong word I personally wouldn't use to describe it though.

# 56 Junior Moe @ 05/09/16 08:55 PM
Let's get it! Enough talk and speculation, let's see what they have in store. I like the swagger I have seen from dev comments on equipment. Hopefully whatever is fueling that permeates throughout the entire product; especially CFM.

# 57 CaliDude916 @ 05/09/16 09:09 PM
It's gotta be Von Miller or Cam Newton.

# 58 4thQtrStre5S @ 05/09/16 09:43 PM
I just hope it is a defensive player, thus indicating a focus on defense; prefer gap play.

I could see "Los Angeles Rams," QB Jared Goff.. Welcome home Rams.

# 59 SolidSquid @ 05/09/16 09:53 PM
Quote:
I'll look closer, but I'm telling you, with my current sliders, I'm getting an efficient blocking game.

I'm just saying overall, it's not atrocious, if it was, I throw the game out after a few months instead of still playing on May 9th.
Agreed. I'm not saying it's always bad but there are time when things happen and you just say "that's madden"

# 60 rkocjay @ 05/09/16 09:54 PM
Hopefully the cover boy is based on what was focused on this year offense or defense

Post A Comment
This thread has been closed for new comments.