Home
Madden NFL 17 News Post

Madden NFL 17 is scheduled to release on PlayStation 4, Xbox One, PlayStation 3 and Xbox 360 on August 23. EA Sports and ESPN will announce the cover athlete on May 12 at 6:00 PM ET on SportsCenter (no cover vote this year). Along with the cover athlete announcement, they also plan to show off the first gameplay trailer from the game.

Read the full press release below.

EA SPORTS Football Franchise Warms up for Its Return to the Gridiron

Today Electronic Arts Inc. (NASDAQ: EA) announced that the Madden NFL 17 cover athlete will be revealed Thurs, May 12 live during the 6pm ET/3pm PT edition of ESPN SportsCenter. Fans can tune-in to check out which NFL phenom has earned cover honors this year, and also get their first look at an all-new gameplay trailer.

EA Access* members can try Madden NFL 17 before it’s released for a limited time as part of a Play First Trial, only on Xbox One.

Madden NFL 17 is developed in Orlando, Florida by EA Tiburon and will be available for Xbox One, Xbox 360®, PlayStation®4 and PlayStation®3 on August 23. To learn more about Madden NFL 17, visit http://www.easports.com/madden-nfl.

All player participation has been facilitated by NFL Players Inc., the licensing and marketing subsidiary of the NFL Players Association (NFLPA).

Game: Madden NFL 17Reader Score: 8/10 - Vote Now
Platform: PS3 / PS4 / Xbox 360 / Xbox OneVotes for game: 17 - View All
Member Comments
# 141 CM Hooe @ 05/11/16 10:42 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by NateDogPack12
It's not a "white lie" to suggest EA has stepped off the gas since achieving exclusivity in the NFL arena.
You're right, this in particular is not a white lie, this is now flat-out false.

Tiburon has released no fewer than nine title updates for Madden NFL 16 - unprecedented in the AAA sports gaming space. Two of these updates have added new ways to play the game in Draft Champions Play A Friend and MUT Salary Cap Ranked, and one added much-clamored for options for hardcore players in XP sliders for Connected Franchise. This is also unprecedented as no other major sports game is adding entire game modes post-launch. Heck, not many other video games period are doing this. And actually, Madden Ultimate Team was introduced the same way - a free post-release patch - in Madden NFL 10, so really Tiburon's only precedent is their own history with the Madden NFL series which people are accusing them of putting low effort into.

Anecdotally we also know that Tiburon has doubled the size of their dev team over the past several years, and when NCAA Football was put on the shelf many of those assigned to that series were brought into the Madden fold rather than let go outright.

The idea that Tiburon has "stepped off the gas" doesn't match the amount of resources they are putting back into the series. This effort is evident in the ascending quality of the game over the past several years, both critically in the mainstream (Metacritic scores, etc.), the perception of the game on the careful and detail-oriented critical eye that is this website, and also with the amount of effort they continue to put into Madden 16 post-launch.

If you want to look at a sports game series that's actually complacent, that's actually low-effort, look at the WWE 2K series, whose yearly efforts compared to what Madden and literally every other major sports game has accomplished over the past several years (besides maybe the RBI Baseball re-make) have been pretty laughable, especially with respect to post-release support where Madden is currently running laps around most of the competition.

Does everything they do for Madden align with what OS wants? Obviously that's not the case. They have many interest groups to cater to. Do they always succeed with what they set out to do? They have a better track record now than in the past, but also obviously there are things to improve. But let's be real here when evaluating the effort level, especially the current effort level.

# 142 SageInfinite @ 05/11/16 11:02 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dwaresacksqb
Glitches and money plays are going to be in every sports game. Way to many plays for players who want to abuse the system to find and exploit. Now it's up to EA to include patches to fix this stuff when it rears it's ugly head or remove the play from online use.
What I mean it's more about playing Madden than simulating the sport. They omit certain parts of football for the culture of "Madden" they've created.

# 143 Dwaresacksqb @ 05/11/16 11:07 AM
When they announced this news it was also reported that you'll get to play Madden 17 first on xbox one. For anyone who cares.

# 144 jmurphy31 @ 05/11/16 11:10 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dwaresacksqb
When they announced this news it was also reported that you'll get to play Madden 17 first on xbox one. For anyone who cares.
Its been the same for the past few years with EA access.

# 145 SageInfinite @ 05/11/16 11:12 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by CM Hooe
The idea that Tiburon has "stepped off the gas" doesn't match the amount of resources they are putting back into the series. This effort is evident in the ascending quality of the game over the past several years, both critically in the mainstream (Metacritic scores, etc.), the perception of the game on the careful and detail-oriented critical eye that is this website, and also with the amount of effort they continue to put into Madden 16 post-launch.
He said since they acquired the license. You even admitted yourself those games were not great efforts at all. The end of last gen and this generation has been EA/Tiburon finding it's footing and it's identity, and they're just now getting the game to where it's hitting it's stride. They had nowhere to go but up.

I know you love to throw that cape on for Tiburon for whatever reason, but it's not always necessary.

# 146 Dwaresacksqb @ 05/11/16 11:17 AM
Will operation sports be doing a rewind trailer video talking about everything they see? If not, I think it would be a great idea. I like what ign does with their rewind trailers. It sometimes helps you notice things that might have gone unnoticed at first. It's fun seeing something for a split second that could spark speculation and intrigue.

# 147 redsox4evur @ 05/11/16 11:24 AM
Quote:
You're right, this in particular is not a white lie, this is now flat-out false.

Tiburon has released no fewer than nine title updates for Madden NFL 16 - unprecedented in the AAA sports gaming space. Two of these updates have added new ways to play the game in Draft Champions Play A Friend and MUT Salary Cap Ranked, and one added much-clamored for options for hardcore players in XP sliders for Connected Franchise. This is also unprecedented as no other major sports game is adding entire game modes post-launch. Heck, not many other video games period are doing this. And actually, Madden Ultimate Team was introduced the same way - a free post-release patch - in Madden NFL 10, so really Tiburon's only precedent is their own history with the Madden NFL series which people are accusing them of putting low effort into.

Anecdotally we also know that Tiburon has doubled the size of their dev team over the past several years, and when NCAA Football was put on the shelf many of those assigned to that series were brought into the Madden fold rather than let go outright.

If you want to look at a sports game series that's actually complacent, that's actually low-effort, look at the WWE 2K series, whose yearly efforts compared to what Madden and literally every other major sports game has accomplished over the past several years (besides maybe the RBI Baseball re-make) have been pretty laughable, especially with respect to post-release support where Madden is currently running laps around most of the competition.

Does everything they do for Madden align with what OS wants? Obviously that's not the case. They have many interest groups to cater to. Do they always succeed with what they set out to do? They have a better track record now than in the past, but also obviously there are things to improve. But let's be real here when evaluating the effort level, especially the current effort level.

I couldn't agree more...also not to do more comparing but at least with Madden I know who I can reach out to request changes and actually interact with the Devs. If I wanted to that for WWE, I would have no idea who to reach out to. And I have NEVER seen a Dev for the game on here.

# 148 CM Hooe @ 05/11/16 11:31 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by SageInfinite
He said since they acquired the license. You even admitted yourself those games were not great efforts at all. The end of last gen and this generation has been EA/Tiburon finding it's footing and it's identity, and they're just now getting the game to where it's hitting it's stride. They had nowhere to go but up.
I freely admit right now that I didn't enjoy at all any Madden game on the 360 until Madden 09. I didn't even buy a Gen-3 Madden game until 08, and I thought it was quite bad.

Of what relevance today, however, is how Tiburon handled things eight years ago? Not only Tiburon but the entire video game industry has changed dramatically since then. Does the admittedly poor transition from the last console generation - not even the current one - magically negate everything that Tiburon has done in the past 12, 24, and 36 months? Personally I don't think so and I also find such a suggestion ridiculous.

Quote:
I know you love to throw that cape on for Tiburon for whatever reason, but it's not always necessary.
And the ad-hominem attacks from you are neither necessary or desired on this forum so you'd be wise to change your line of posting, stat.

# 149 SageInfinite @ 05/11/16 11:53 AM
Quote:
I freely admit right now that I didn't enjoy at all any Madden game on the 360 until Madden 09. I didn't even buy a Gen-3 Madden game until 08, and I thought it was quite bad.

Of what relevance today, however, is how Tiburon handled things eight years ago? Not only Tiburon but the entire video game industry has changed dramatically since then. Does the admittedly poor transition from the last console generation - not even the current one - magically negate everything that Tiburon has done in the past 12, 24, and 36 months? Personally I don't think so and I also find such a suggestion ridiculous.

And the ad-hominem attacks from you are neither necessary or desired on this forum so you'd be wise to change your line of posting, stat.
Tiburon's change is debatable, and one I won't continue here for obvious reasons. Also you can "threaten" me all you want, I'm just speaking the truth.

Can't wait for that trailer to drop though. I'm actually very interested to find out what they've been working on for on the field.

# 150 roadman @ 05/11/16 12:13 PM
More pitter-patter on Twitter:

Ryan Grande ‏@GrandeRyan 47m47 minutes ago
@RexDEAFootball @business madden 16 was good. But it's the last @EAMaddenNFL I buy without REAL effort put into improving CFM

Rex Dickson
‏@RexDEAFootball
@GrandeRyan @business @EAMaddenNFL We got you covered bro.

# 151 Dwaresacksqb @ 05/11/16 12:38 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by roadman

@RexDEAFootball @business madden 16 was good. But it's the last @EAMaddenNFL I buy without REAL effort put into improving CFM

Rex Dickson
‏@RexDEAFootball
I liked how last year, when Rex and the crew were playing Madden 16 live on twitter on release day, Rex spotted an animation with the DB/WR that made no sense and acknowledged live, they needed to look into that to correct the issue. I am pretty sure they removed the animation completely. He seems like a pretty honest, stand-up guy.

The hype for this trailer is crazy!

# 152 SageInfinite @ 05/11/16 12:39 PM
Quote:

Rex Dickson
‏@RexDEAFootball
Again everyone has to come in with tempered expectations. Alot of things have sounded great or logical in pre-release, but when they come to functioning in game in real world situations, have not lived up to the claims or the functionality.

I found ways to enjoy Madden 16, so I'm tip toeing in with optimism.

# 153 Junior Moe @ 05/11/16 12:56 PM
Quote:

Rex Dickson
‏@RexDEAFootball
The fact that he acknowledged and answered that, knowing how savage the Internet is, only furthers my suspicion that they have something up their sleeve with regard to franchise/CFM.

# 154 DeuceDouglas @ 05/11/16 01:03 PM
Quote:

Rex Dickson
‏@RexDEAFootball
I'm in the same boat as him. They need to come up big this year in CFM. I go back and read their deep dive about CFM's new features last year and it is just laughable. And when I mean come up big I don't mean something like new daily goals where our players get 100 XP for eating an orange before practice. I don't want to be overly negative because I like the gameplay and I'm willing to see what happens first and give them a chance but if deep dive time comes around and I'm reading about new goal mechanics, score tickers, and draft presentation I just might lose my mind.

# 155 SolidSquid @ 05/11/16 01:04 PM
Quote:
Again everyone has to come in with tempered expectations. Alot of things have sounded great or logical in pre-release, but when they come to functioning in game in real world situations, have not lived up to the claims or the functionality.

This. I'm glad Rex and other devs are active on Twitter but you have to remember is another form of marketing so take it with a grain of salt. Would you expect a sizzle/release trailer to say something like "minimal improvements from last years release" or "no new content but newer fresher menus"? I'm not saying the game will have no improvements but what is a dev supposed to say when asked a question on Twitter like the one posted "you'll be bored don't buy this one"

Again I'm not bashing the game it just seems like there are people in here who argue that everything a dev says on Twitter is gospel, these things must be taken with a grain of salt.

# 156 roadman @ 05/11/16 01:05 PM
Quote:

Just pointing out that a person can add the math starting with Rex's interview after 16 came out, the cover of Madden yesterday with the caption "Franchise Mode started in 1999 and the affirmations concerning customers concerns or reservations.

That's half of it, the other half, like you mention, is how well it's implemented in late August.

Hope for the best.

SS- Not saying it's gospel, but confirming a customers request is(plus other evidence), shall we say, fairly positive from one of the lead Developers that CFM will be improved. I really don't think that is a stretch, wouldn't you agree?

# 157 Dwaresacksqb @ 05/11/16 01:11 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by SolidSquid
This. I'm glad Rex and other devs are active on Twitter but you have to remember is another form of marketing so take it with a grain of salt. Would you expect a sizzle/release trailer to say something like "minimal improvements from last years release" or "no new content but newer fresher menus"? I'm not saying the game will have no improvements but what is a dev supposed to say when asked a question on Twitter like the one posted "you'll be bored don't buy this one"

Again I'm not bashing the game it just seems like there are people in here who argue that everything a dev says on Twitter is gospel, these things must be taken with a grain of salt.
I just don't think he has to say anything at all. The fact that he has said multiple times now, CFM is an area of focus for them this year, has me believing CFM got some much needed attention. Will I like what they come up with? I don't know, but I do know, it's good news, not bad.

# 158 georgiafan @ 05/11/16 01:13 PM
Great news on the last tweet from rex about franchise mode

# 159 DeuceDouglas @ 05/11/16 01:14 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Junior Moe
The fact that he acknowledged and answered that, knowing how savage the Internet is, only furthers my suspicion that they have something up their sleeve with regard to franchise/CFM.
Picture this. Thursday comes. Sportscenter is on. They're telling you what a storied franchise the Madden video game is while standing in front of an enlarged cover telling you how this cover is like nothing you've ever seen before. For the first time ever the cover guy is someone who has never even appeared in a Madden game before and then the current drops and it's....

Spoiler

# 160 Toupal @ 05/11/16 01:17 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by DeuceDouglas
I'm in the same boat as him. They need to come up big this year in CFM. I go back and read their deep dive about CFM's new features last year and it is just laughable. And when I mean come up big I don't mean something like new daily goals where our players get 100 XP for eating an orange before practice. I don't want to be overly negative because I like the gameplay and I'm willing to see what happens first and give them a chance but if deep dive time comes around and I'm reading about new goal mechanics, score tickers, and draft presentation I just might lose my mind.
Ditto. I have been, and always will be a franchise guy. I hear they are putting a ton of effort into CFM this year, and I sure hope so. I hope I just don't get my heart broke again by getting my hopes too high. All I want is the ability to play CPU vs CPU, ability to edit rosters, and create a draft class... Two of things were in Madden 12, so I am hoping they wise up and start adding back some of the old features.

Post A Comment
This thread has been closed for new comments.