Home
NBA 2K16 News Post

Steph Curry had a heck of a night last night.

Not only did he score the most points in an OT effort ever (17), but he also single handedly took a playoff game over and delivered a big W for Golden State -- putting the Warriors up three games to one and certainly clinching their ticket onwards.

Quote:
"Perhaps the best way summarize Curry's performance on Monday is with this stat: Curry missed his first nine 3-pointers and later scored 17 points in overtime -- an NBA record."

Curry can catch fire like few players in the history of the game, and when he does -- it almost seems like he may actually encapsulate what it may look like to see a player with skills beyond what we typically see.

With that in mind, are Curry's attributes (especially his offensive attributes) properly captured in NBA 2K16? Do you think that Curry should be considered for something higher than a 99 overall rating?

Sound off in the comments!

Game: NBA 2K16Reader Score: 8/10 - Vote Now
Platform: PC / PS3 / PS4 / Xbox 360 / Xbox OneVotes for game: 45 - View All
NBA 2K16 Videos
Member Comments
# 61 TheVinylHippo @ 05/11/16 04:25 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by DEEBOFIOUS
NOT BEFORE PLAYERS LIKE KAREEM, WILT, JORDAN, AND RUSSELL. DON'T BE PRISONERS OF THE MOMENT 2K. STEPH AS THE 1ST 100 RATED PLAYER WOULD BE BLASPHEMOUS RIGHT NOW IN HIS CAREER.
Calm down, Stephen A. Smith. It's not that serious.

# 62 SpeedyClaxton @ 05/11/16 09:54 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mauer4MVP
This is just getting embarrassed for you...

"Knicks beat the Bulls in 93 with Jordan they are clearly not much weaker without him."
Bulls managed their first 3peat in 93, after then Houston took it twice and then another 3peat for Bulls. You guys don't understand that Curry needs in game just extra long range not thousands of badges or 100 rating lol..my god

# 63 iki319 @ 05/11/16 10:50 AM
I don't think Curry deserves a 99 overall. He's a great offensive player but that's it. Overall should account for everything from offense, defense, athleticism, and rebounding (maybe not for guards though).

He deserves a 99 in shooting but I he's not near 90 in defense in my books. Yes he gets his steals but he isn't even the biggest threat on D on his team. Watching the playoff recently, i noticed Thompson is the one assigned on Lillard during clutch moments. To me, he's the 6th best defensive player on the Warriors behind Green, Iggy, Bogut, Klay, and Barns. His Speed and athleticism is good but noting compared to Westbrook and Wall.

I believe a 99 overall should go to an all around player. Curry is an amazing shooter that i think it (along with the right teammates) masks his weaknesses on the court.

# 64 DocHolliday @ 05/11/16 11:06 AM
The Curry D hating has gone too far. He is excellent at stealing the ball and is also a pro at harassing other dribblers as they pass him. He is also always in the right spot and switches perfectly.

Just because he doesn't man up the best player doesn't make him a BA defender. Dude is 6'2" and 180. Of course a guy like klay or iggy will be better at manning up super athletic wings and guards.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

# 65 SpeedyClaxton @ 05/11/16 11:56 AM
99 OVR player in reality means perfect all-around player, that shoots well, rebounds at excellent rate, is super athletic, great lockdown defender and to sum it up a player that has literally no flaws. Player like that obviously doesn't exist nowadays and these 99 myplayers are some fictional 2K picture how would look like one such player.

According to 2K rating mechanism 99 player must be severely overrated in many aspects to compesate such high rating. Now let's see 95 & 96 speed and acceleration is overrated in first place and visible by naked eye. You can't compesate such things just so one player becomes 99 or whatever rating developer is targeting to present.

Westbrook on other hand have 97 speed and acceleration, so he is only 2 points higher in speed and 1 point better in acceleration where in reality he is miles away more athletic than Curry. What is even more insane John Wall rates 97 in speed and 90 in acceleration, in which universe Curry accelerates faster than John Wall i would like to know.

Furthermore Dennis Schröder probably with Wall fastest point guard in league rates laughable 84 in speed and 90 in acceleration.

To sum it up 99 OVR should NOT exist, Curry do have flaws just like any other player has, have and will have in future. Like one NBA scout wrote scouting report.

Assets
- Simply an offensive wizard with the ball. Elite and otherwordly as a pure shooter, from both far beyond the arc and from the charity stripe. Has mesmerizing one-on-one scoring moves and highly creative passing skills. Does a fantastic job of reading the 'D' and making the play.

Flaws
- Small for an NBA guard and struggle at times as a defender in post-up/one-on-one situations against bigger, stronger opponents. Gets turnover-prone for stretches. Ankle injuries were an issue early in his career and his durability is questionable.

# 66 CM Hooe @ 05/11/16 12:11 PM
The only players with a better single-season win shares per 48 than Steph Curry in 2015-16 are Kareem Abdul-Jabbar (three times), Wilt Chamberlain (once), LeBron James (twice), and Michael Jordan (once).

I don't know about "greater than 99 OVR", but he's clearly having one of the best seasons of all-time by that metric and certainly deserves an elite rating. His total impact on games this season is indomitable.

# 67 Bernte @ 05/11/16 01:01 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by RyanFitzmagic
No, they don't. They have the Limitless Range badge for that.

This is what people don't get. OVERALL RATING ISN'T THE ONLY INDICATOR OF HOW GOOD A PLAYER IS.

Player A: 98 overall, 50 badges
Player B: 99 overall, 20 badges

Player A is OBVIOUSLY better.
the limitless range badge is a joke on curry. i would agree if there would be your regular limitless range badge and the steph curry limitless rang badge.

# 68 cima @ 05/11/16 01:03 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by DocHolliday
The Curry D hating has gone too far. He is excellent at stealing the ball and is also a pro at harassing other dribblers as they pass him. He is also always in the right spot and switches perfectly.

Just because he doesn't man up the best player doesn't make him a BA defender. Dude is 6'2" and 180. Of course a guy like klay or iggy will be better at manning up super athletic wings and guards.

But he's not an elite defender and that's the issue. How can you give a guy a 99 overall rating when he's average/good on defense but not elite? He's a product of this generation of small ball too. He gets a good amount of boards but that's a huge benefit from today's players being smaller. He wouldn't be getting that many boards in the 90s, which in 2K you have to account for since it has players from all eras.

I think we can all agree that Curry should be a 99 or close to it with his shooting and ball handling ratings. Passing can be 90s as well but definitely not 99. Rebounding and defense though? Nowhere near the 90s. Therefore, you can't justify making him a 99 overall.

# 69 E The Rhymer @ 05/11/16 01:19 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by SpeedyClaxton
99 OVR player in reality means perfect all-around player, that shoots well, rebounds at excellent rate, is super athletic, great lockdown defender and to sum it up a player that has literally no flaws. Player like that obviously doesn't exist nowadays and these 99 myplayers are some fictional 2K picture how would look like one such player.

According to 2K rating mechanism 99 player must be severely overrated in many aspects to compesate such high rating. Now let's see 95 & 96 speed and acceleration is overrated in first place and visible by naked eye. You can't compesate such things just so one player becomes 99 or whatever rating developer is targeting to present.

Westbrook on other hand have 97 speed and acceleration, so he is only 2 points higher in speed and 1 point better in acceleration where in reality he is miles away more athletic than Curry. What is even more insane John Wall rates 97 in speed and 90 in acceleration, in which universe Curry accelerates faster than John Wall i would like to know.

Furthermore Dennis Schröder probably with Wall fastest point guard in league rates laughable 84 in speed and 90 in acceleration.

To sum it up 99 OVR should NOT exist, Curry do have flaws just like any other player has, have and will have in future. Like one NBA scout wrote scouting report.

Assets

- Simply an offensive wizard with the ball. Elite and otherwordly as a pure shooter, from both far beyond the arc and from the charity stripe. Has mesmerizing one-on-one scoring moves and highly creative passing skills. Does a fantastic job of reading the 'D' and making the play.

Flaws

- Small for an NBA guard and struggle at times as a defender in post-up/one-on-one situations against bigger, stronger opponents. Gets turnover-prone for stretches. Ankle injuries were an issue early in his career and his durability is questionable.

And Jordan was perfect in every way and had absolutely no weakness or area of his game he wasn't the best at? Don't get me wrong I'm not saying Jordan wasn't great and all but by the logic u are using no one should be a 99 not even Jordan.

# 70 cima @ 05/11/16 01:30 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by E The Rhymer
And Jordan was perfect in every way and had absolutely no weakness or area of his game he wasn't the best at? Don't get me wrong I'm not saying Jordan wasn't great and all but by the logic u are using no one should be a 99 not even Jordan.
Not really, Jordan was above average at everything other than 3 point shooting. We're talking about a guy who once averaged 32.5/8/8 in a season. Arguably the greatest scorer of all-time and he is also arguably a top 5 defender. He makes perfect sense for 99 overall. Within their current scale and how a player is rated 99, MJ as a 99 works. To make Curry a 99, you'd have to rate him higher than his actual ability and that's not right.

# 71 GradyMac @ 05/11/16 01:42 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by jcmreds
If prime MJ played in today's soft *** NBA he would average 45 and shoot 60%.
Just don't forget that you couldn't play defense in a zone when Jordan played. I understand hand checking was legal; but if Jordan played today he would face some type of help zone constantly.

He would still be great; but people often forget about zone defense being legal now.

# 72 GradyMac @ 05/11/16 01:47 PM
Quote:
There is no perfect player.

And he's a good defender, rebounder for his size/position, and a really good ball handler/passer.
Where did I say anything about perfect. I simply explained that Curry doesn't need a higher ranting than 99 because he isn't the best player in the game.

Why are you qualifying his rebounding skills ("for his size"); size doesn't matter when we are talking about the best. period. Now if we are talking about the best short PGs...okay.

# 73 SpeedyClaxton @ 05/11/16 01:53 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by E The Rhymer
No, Jordan is GOAT period. He was above average at anything you could ask from player except 3pt and even so he managed to score ridiculous numbers. I am only saying how 2K compensate and overrates Curry weak sides just for the sake of the number 99.

# 74 Mauer4MVP @ 05/11/16 03:40 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by GradyMac
Where did I say anything about perfect. I simply explained that Curry doesn't need a higher ranting than 99 because he isn't the best player in the game.

Why are you qualifying his rebounding skills ("for his size"); size doesn't matter when we are talking about the best. period. Now if we are talking about the best short PGs...okay.
Well he was 3rd in rebounding among point guards.

# 75 Mauer4MVP @ 05/11/16 03:43 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by cima
Not really, Jordan was above average at everything other than 3 point shooting. We're talking about a guy who once averaged 32.5/8/8 in a season. Arguably the greatest scorer of all-time and he is also arguably a top 5 defender. He makes perfect sense for 99 overall. Within their current scale and how a player is rated 99, MJ as a 99 works. To make Curry a 99, you'd have to rate him higher than his actual ability and that's not right.
And current Curry IS the greatest offensive player ever with good defense.

# 76 Mauer4MVP @ 05/11/16 03:45 PM
Quote:
No, Jordan is GOAT period. He was above average at anything you could ask from player except 3pt and even so he managed to score ridiculous numbers. I am only saying how 2K compensate and overrates Curry weak sides just for the sake of the number 99.
No one is debating that Jordan is the GOAT. But that implies entire career. We're talking about an individual season and Curry was as dominate as that Jordan.

# 77 cima @ 05/11/16 03:55 PM
Quote:
And current Curry IS the greatest offensive player ever with good defense.
Good Lord, get off Curry's nuts man. No, he is not the greatest offensive player ever. He is the greatest shooter ever, but he is not the greatest offensive player ever.

# 78 E The Rhymer @ 05/11/16 04:14 PM
Quote:

All I'm saying is that by the logic you are using to justify why Curry isn't worthy can be used to say Jordan is either and none should be above a 98. No player out there EVER has been prefect in every facet of the game including Jordan which you yourself even admitted. If the argument for Curry not being 99 is that he isn't a perfect player in every way the. Neither was MJ or any other player to hit the court so far.

# 79 E The Rhymer @ 05/11/16 04:18 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by cima

Your missing my point I'm saying that if you want to say Curry isn't worth 99 because his game isn't perfect all around then I don't see how u can make one for Michael Jordan to be 99 yes 3pt shorting may have been his only problem but it was still a area of the game he was below average in and being below average in something means you are not perfect and using the logic some of you are using Jordan shouldn't be 99 either and the highest in the game should be 98. NO ONE in the game if basketball is a "perfect player" that's all I'm saying

# 80 cima @ 05/11/16 04:22 PM
99 isn't perfect though, 100 is perfect. And that rating can't be achieved. Therefore, I have no issue with MJ being 99

Post A Comment
Only OS members can post comments
Please login or register to post a comment.