Home
NBA Live 17 News Post

As we reported on just a bit ago, NBA Live is definitely not coming to consoles this fall -- and may be going through a complete overhaul according to a new message posted by Sean O'Brien on EA's website.

Quote:
Hey LIVE fans:

I want to share some important updates on what’s next for NBA LIVE and give you an overview of where we’re going with the franchise over the course of this year.

It’s important that you know that we are committed to NBA LIVE in the console space. While we won’t be shipping a product this Fall, we will be back on the courts with something new and exciting for you to experience in early 2017.

Our focus this year is to deliver an amazing, high-quality basketball game to a global audience. The best way to do that is through the fastest growing, largest, and most accessible gaming platform…mobile. As a team, we’re really excited about taking the franchise to new places with the worldwide release of our mobile game later this year.

More details to follow in the coming months!

Sean O’Brien
Executive Producer, NBA LIVE

Game: NBA Live 17Hype Score: 6.5/10 - Vote Now
Platform: PS4 / Xbox OneVotes for game: 3 - View All
Member Comments
# 21 KennyJ1976 @ 05/10/16 10:01 PM
Just give up EA Sports, its over as far as basketball is concerned. They might as well scrap the Live franchise and bring back baseball. It can't sell any worse than Live and they have the Xbox market all to themselves.

# 22 P-Dub @ 05/10/16 10:27 PM

Yeah. Disappointed before the game is even announced. By the time it gets released I will probably be knee deep in the other game or even the mobile version if it turns out better than the current one to even consider Live 17.

Is it going to be too little too late? Or are they going to take advantage of the potential extra time to add depth to the game and have features that have the user base have been requesting for 3 years?

# 23 RoyalBoyle78 @ 05/10/16 11:37 PM
I will say this news kinda upsets me, as I really enjoyed LIVE this year.

Oh well I guess

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

# 24 Rockie_Fresh88 @ 05/10/16 11:45 PM
I thought live 16 was a decent game this year . Wonder what's this new and exciting thing .

# 25 NaVonn_Jose @ 05/10/16 11:47 PM
I feel EA should just give up and join forces with 2K and visual concept. EA just getting dry, boring, and the focus on their games seems poor. Admit it a MyCareer mode for a football game would be by far interesting, and personally NFL 2k5 was one of the best football video games of all-time. Like EA produce a game and once it release its like they don't care anymore. I'm big on gameplay and little things such as accessories. Madden has had the same cleats, gloves, and equipment since like 12' & Live 16 doesn't have any current player signatures shoes or newer hoop shoes. Things like that are important to me not only do I want to play the game like its real life I also want newer looks.

# 26 zello144 @ 05/10/16 11:53 PM

Remember what happened last time?

# 27 The 24th Letter @ 05/11/16 12:13 AM
Not even a release date for the 2017 release in place...I seriously doubt they're going to drop a full fledged NBA game heading into the playoffs...I can see them strictly focusing on Pro Am tbh, that got the most play.

Not surprised by the news unfortunately. I never bought into the whole 'sure the sales are terrible, but we'll just keep on a shippin em out' idea they were selling. Money's always a factor and they went where the $ is, mobile.

# 28 noshun @ 05/11/16 12:45 AM
The truth is the real blame lies on NBA Live fans. You guys cant be honest with yourselves; straight up when it comes to Live. Well, most of you anyways. You fans never see anything wrong with the product or you start blaming 2k for Lives issues. The few of you on this, and various other forums say a sideslick comment about 2k, then say something else on Twitter, and when you get called out for it, you wont man up. Too many Harvey Dents on this side of the forums.

Also you Live fans didn't support the product.. the sales speak for Live. You wanted competition, you got it. Blame yourselves. I said this last year in October to quote myself:

Quote:
Originally Posted by noshun
Live fans want: 2k fans to buy 2k and Live using "choice" as a crutch.
Live diehards: will only buy Live, saying they have their game.
Live fans get upset at the sales for Live then blame 2k fans for not giving Live a chance.
Live fans that don't see anything wrong, get up go to the bathroom and stand in front of the sink and look in the mirror. Theres your problem with Live.

Edit: blame goes to the devs as well. How many years in a row do you have these surveys asking what our opinions are etc, then ask about 2k, and if 2k is an answer the survey is over. ow many wishlist going back years have the same request on them consecutively? Live still has the same issues I found when I was doing QA on Live 07/08.. the main issues are still there as far as animations, believable human movement, etc. Stuff I complained about back in 2006. Its still there.. I said in my letter to David Gardner I wont buy Live until I see changes, and its been that way since that email. Stop this saying Live is from the ground up. It isn't.

You cut corners reusing the same bad animation assets from 2 generations ago, optimize old bad code, post blogs about patting yourselves on the back, tea light candle sessions, blogs about pictures and videos with no pictures or videos in them, have your PR guys take swipes at 2k, when you don't have your stuff together etc... Its sad really... all this was self guillotine style by EA, and Live fans(boy) to a degree...

# 29 Playmakers @ 05/11/16 01:31 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by noshun
The truth is the real blame lies on NBA Live fans. You guys cant be honest with yourselves; straight up when it comes to Live. Well, most of you anyways. You fans never see anything wrong with the product or you start blaming 2k for Lives issues. The few of you on this, and various other forums say a sideslick comment about 2k, then say something else on Twitter, and when you get called out for it, you wont man up. Too many Harvey Dents on this side of the forums.

Also you Live fans didn't support the product.. the sales speak for Live. You wanted competition, you got it. Blame yourselves. I said this last year in October to quote myself:

Live fans that don't see anything wrong, get up go to the bathroom and stand in front of the sink and look in the mirror. Theres your problem with Live.

Edit: blame goes to the devs as well. How many years in a row do you have these surveys asking what our opinions are etc, then ask about 2k, and if 2k is an answer the survey is over. ow many wishlist going back years have the same request on them consecutively? Live still has the same issues I found when I was doing QA on Live 07/08.. the main issues are still there as far as animations, believable human movement, etc. Stuff I complained about back in 2006. Its still there.. I said in my letter to David Gardner I wont buy Live until I see changes, and its been that way since that email. Stop this saying Live is from the ground up. It isn't.

You cut corners reusing the same bad animation assets from 2 generations ago, optimize old bad code, post blogs about patting yourselves on the back, tea light candle sessions, blogs about pictures and videos with no pictures or videos in them, have your PR guys take swipes at 2k, when you don't have your stuff together etc... Its sad really... all this was self guillotine style by EA, and Live fans(boy) to a degree...

No need for me to say anything you nailed it

# 30 SeaTownGamer @ 05/11/16 05:18 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by NaVonn_Jose
I feel EA should just give up and join forces with 2K and visual concept. EA just getting dry, boring, and the focus on their games seems poor. Admit it a MyCareer mode for a football game would be by far interesting, and personally NFL 2k5 was one of the best football video games of all-time. Like EA produce a game and once it release its like they don't care anymore. I'm big on gameplay and little things such as accessories. Madden has had the same cleats, gloves, and equipment since like 12' & Live 16 doesn't have any current player signatures shoes or newer hoop shoes. Things like that are important to me not only do I want to play the game like its real life I also want newer looks.
Please heavens no. They'll just ruin 2K if they join forces.

# 31 Junior Moe @ 05/11/16 06:37 AM
Damn Live. I would say that I'm surprised but I'm not. They put on a brave face this year but anyone looking at the sales knew some change was coming. Regardless of the assurances of Live 17 coming. Still, it's terrible to actually read the news. I think they may find a more friendly market on mobile and that's where they can carve out their niche. 2K has console basketball locked down for the foreseeable future.

# 32 Gosens6 @ 05/11/16 07:15 AM
Damn, Live. By the time this game releases on consoles, everyone will be knee deep in 2K.

Maybe a slashed/reduced price will help drive sales, but I don't see this turning out too well for EA Sports.

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk

# 33 Barbatrucco @ 05/11/16 07:21 AM
A year stop it never mattered. In each business area.
What produced a year stop after Nba Elite 11? The disaster: no Nba Live 12 and even cancellation of Nba Live 14. Every time it's the same story.
The problem is that they dont want to change the way they work. It's clear that it takes a complete reboulding the way they are working, but seem too proud to do it.
It is even more incredibile that they dont realize, in the year of building the Nba Live product, which is much lower even compared to an Nba 2 k 8.
How can they not realizing it while they are working on it?

# 34 cthurt @ 05/11/16 08:44 AM
Damn I really miss the old PS2 sports gaming days, never did I think the sports video gaming world would be so blah in the year 2016.

Back on subject I cant say im surprised, just getting tired of Ea as a company at this point, they dont have the same golden touch they had from two console generations ago.

# 35 CEOHaize @ 05/11/16 09:34 AM
With the game releasing in early 2017 I can't see it being Sim. I may be wrong but releasing a game in that time frame would be perfect for an arcade style game.

# 36 iFnotWhyNoT @ 05/11/16 09:44 AM
Jesus Bynum...

Live 16 isn't terrible, If your truly committed to consoles how about an olive branch...patch update dynasty mode and some new game play animations with updated rosters for live 16 in Nov for like 9.99 for those who purchased Live 16. Give us a taste of what to expect. The demo for live 16 with pro-am was definitely the right direction, you won me over because i played the demo continuously all year every time there was an update and i could feel the difference.

P.s. no more letters please.

Good Luck.

# 37 CMH @ 05/11/16 09:51 AM
Nah. Never considering a purchase in the future.

It's smart to take your development time but nothing in that statement tells me that EA, the actual company, is going to support the developers.

If any of those guys are reading this - doubt they are - I know the industry is tough but don't do it to yourselves. You'll spend months being unsupported by the big company and you'll release a title you're proud of because you put thousands of hours into it each, but the product will be poor, it won't match up against 2K (it's warts and all) and you'll feel like crap when you see the reviews.

Save yourselves the individual suffering and find peace in leaving the company that doesn't care about you.

This series was done but now it's non existent, literally. Good bye Live.

# 38 Mrcabone @ 05/11/16 09:52 AM
I was looking forward to seeing how much progress Live has made at E3,i doubt they'll be any useful information about the console version.

# 39 Rhouston @ 05/11/16 09:59 AM
I do not understand how Sean O'Brien manages to keep his role as executive producer of the Live franchise. In my opinion, he should have been cut loose after the sham of a game that was NBA Live 14... it's not like NBA Live 15 and 16 were masterpieces either (far from it actually). There has to be something else going on here...

# 40 Tonyattia @ 05/11/16 10:52 AM
I thought live 16 was almost decent. Lacked depth in modes and customization but I thought they'd address those and get the game back to respectability. I'm assuming they'll eventually extend the 2017 spring release and end up just releasing it in the fall for the start of the season. It does feel like they need 2 development cycles to get to where they want to be anyways considering how far live 16 is from 2k16 in pretty much every aspect. I've always liked live so I have irrational hope even though EA had burned me since the debacle of elite 11. Hope whatever they eventually put out is good

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Post A Comment
Only OS members can post comments
Please login or register to post a comment.