Home
NBA 2K16 News Post

Steph Curry will have an overall 99 rating for 30 hours, starting May 12 at 6PM ET, making him the greatest shooter in NBA 2K history. The update will also unlock a brand new MVP colorway of the Curry Two's in the game. Check out the screenshots here.

STEPHEN CURRY EARNS TOP LEAGUE HONOR FOR SECOND STRAIGHT YEAR

Under Armour Celebrates Curry’s Second Consecutive Kia NBA MVP Award with NBA 2K16 and Limited Edition Back-to-Back Shoe Pack

Stephen Curry’s impression on the sport of basketball is a lesson in the power of perseverance, through sheer will and hard work. In the 2014-2015 season, we thought we saw pinnacle Curry, as he broke the three-point season record, claimed the 2014-15 Kia NBA MVP Award, and captured his first Larry O’Brien World Championship trophy. Then during the 2015-2016 season, he helped to lead the Warriors to the single-season record for wins, shattered his own three-point record, led the league in scoring, and joined the prestigious 50-40-90 shooting club en route to the 2015-16 Kia NBA Most Valuable Player Award, presented today.

Stephen is the 11th player (third point guard) in league history to earn the award in back-to-back seasons.

“Stephen Curry’s impact on the game of basketball is immeasurable,” said Kip Fulks, Chief Marketing Officer, Under Armour. “His game, coupled with his WILL to dominate, is unlike anything we’ve ever seen in the NBA. Stephen’s cultural reach off the court is equally transcendent. At Under Armour we are thrilled and humbled to be alongside Stephen on this journey, and look forward to his continued perseverance in making himself a better athlete every single day.”

In the 2015-2016 season, Stephen was not only the first player ever to hit 300 three-pointers in a season, but he also incredibly reached the 400 mark in April. Over the course of the year, people marveled at his ability to hit shots; off the dribble, in traffic, and from incredible distance, with many dubbing him otherworldly in a way that couldn’t even be replicated in video games.

To celebrate his accomplishments, Under Armour is teaming up with 2K Sports and the preeminent simulation basketball video game, NBA 2K16, to honor this achievement by returning Stephen’s character to the game with a 99 overall rating making him the all-time highest shooter ever for an exclusive 30-hour window this week.

Beginning at 3 pm PST / 6 pm EST on Thursday, May 12, NBA 2K16 players will be able to download a roster update that brings Stephen’s rating to 99 for 30 continuous hours, a reference to his jersey number. The update will also unlock a brand new MVP colorway of the Curry Two in game, which will be an equippable shoe going forward. To promote Stephen’s rating update, a video, created by Under Armour and advertising agency Droga5 titled “The New Level,” can be viewed here.

In addition to the NBA 2K16 roster update, Under Armour is celebrating Stephen’s outstanding achievement with the re-release of the Curry One MVP and a new Curry Two MVP colorway. The Curry MVP Back 2 Back Pack commemorates the signature footwear Stephen wore in back-to-back MVP seasons. Pre-orders are live now on UA.com, and will be available at Under Armour Brand Houses and select retailers nationwide on June 24. Images of the footwear can be found here. A graphic t-shirt is also available now on UA.com.

NBA 2K16 screenshot gallery - Click to view NBA 2K16 screenshot gallery - Click to view
Game: NBA 2K16Reader Score: 8/10 - Vote Now
Platform: PC / PS3 / PS4 / Xbox 360 / Xbox OneVotes for game: 45 - View All
NBA 2K16 Videos
Member Comments
# 61 The 24th Letter @ 05/13/16 08:35 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by GSW
Pretty sure the marketing departments entire job is to figure out a way to increase sales of the game...how else do you think we are about to get NBA 2k17+?

Some of yall act like marketing is some evil team looking to steal your money and slap your mothers.
Promoting and making money off of your product isn't sim man..

Back in the day the budget was based off of simulation, not money

# 62 Mauer4MVP @ 05/13/16 09:11 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by SpeedyClaxton
Main quality of the game should be its gameplay, after all it's the core of all modes. Marketing team surely isn't some evil team but they choose cheap stuff to promote game rather than to focus on core gameplay.

It's like promoting car with faulty engine but hey buy it anyway it have top notch 20'' rims..lol come on...don't make me laugh
You realize all your favorite companies/products in life do this, right?

# 63 Mbunn1993 @ 05/13/16 10:41 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mauer4MVP
You realize all your favorite companies/products in life do this, right?
This is true beyond belief lol. Everything around you is marketing. From the location of items in a store, to the colors of signs.. (Anyone ever notice the amount of red signs/company logos? Basically every fast food logo has red in it)

# 64 Mauer4MVP @ 05/13/16 11:48 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mbunn1993
This is true beyond belief lol. Everything around you is marketing. From the location of items in a store, to the colors of signs.. (Anyone ever notice the amount of red signs/company logos? Basically every fast food logo has red in it)
Hell, it isn't even just products/companies. Even your favorite athletes are brands now and have been for a while.

# 65 GSW @ 05/13/16 02:51 PM
Starting to see that people just like to complain for the sake of complaining.

If you don't like taking one of the cover boys and two time MVP someoen who has had one of the greatest seasons we have ever SEEN and doing something FUN in a VIDEO GAME with his character...for 30 hours because he is #30...

What would you suggest Speedy Claxton (Hofstra represent!!) the marketing team do to increase awareness and drive more sales?

I'm interested in your insights on this since you are so vocal about it.

# 66 TalenT @ 05/13/16 02:58 PM
Quote:
Main quality of the game should be its gameplay, after all it's the core of all modes. Marketing team surely isn't some evil team but they choose cheap stuff to promote game rather than to focus on core gameplay.

It's like promoting car with faulty engine but hey buy it anyway it have top notch 20'' rims..lol come on...don't make me laugh
I'm gonna have to agree w/ Speedy on this one. There was a time where the company relied solely on being a better sim game. Gameplay was KING. Now, IMO, it seems as though they have the market sewed up and they're trying to think of more ways to get into more people's pockets...which is all fine with me but don't claim sim anymore. This move is laughable to me. A temporary boost? C'mon son!

# 67 KingTocco @ 05/13/16 03:07 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by GSW

If you don't like taking one of the cover boys and two time MVP someoen who has had one of the greatest seasons we have ever SEEN and doing something FUN in a VIDEO GAME with his character...for 30 hours because he is #30...

What would you suggest Speedy Claxton (Hofstra represent!!) the marketing team do to increase awareness and drive more sales?

I agree with this, I would also add that while some of the people on here like to complain just to complain, others also like to defend/argue just to defend/argue.

The event is more than half over at this point, it was a thing they did to honor their cover boy for an amazing season and unanimous MVP, and to do something fun. They made him a 99 which is honestly not even that big of a deal, he was already a 97.

It's kind of gimmicky and was somewhat unexpected, but now that it's here I think it's kind of fun and cool. Some of you reading into it like "oh this doesn't make them sim anymore" are just thinking about it way too much.

This game still has a lot of "sim" elements and a lot of other more casual elements as well. Just wanted to add my two cents, it's been painful reading this stuff. Maybe let it go and just enjoy what's in front of you.

# 68 HowDareI @ 05/13/16 04:17 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by KingTocco
I mean...he only had a historic season with the first ever unanimous MVP win in NBA History...he also led his team to the greatest single season record in NBA History.

Also, it says they will raise his overall rating to a 99 (not all his ratings) which he is almost at anyway so I'm not really sure why people are freaking out about how amazing he will be.

I don't really get the point of this move but to question him deserving it is just silly.
I mean....it was a joke....kinda just sarcasm but my point still remains.

Go boost some other players too. Honestly maybe Curry plays more like he does irl now, so maybe if they boost other people's ratings they'll do things more like themselves as well.

I was never a fan of the ratings system this year since I felt it limited players' abilities...maybe this'll open some eyes.

# 69 SpeedyClaxton @ 05/13/16 08:04 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by GSW

First of all i am very happy that i live in this era to witness such season, as much as i was happy when i witnessed 81 pts from Kobe. Yes i talked about this maketing thing in this thread because it's so gimmicky, cheap, corny..call it however you want. 2K represent game as pure sim but can you tell me how much sim 2K16 really is ? Is it at least 50% sim ? As long time 2K fan i am aware that much more effort gameplay wise was put into last gen titles, agree with me or not it was like that.

I enjoy sim basketball that's why i played 2K all these years first and foremost. 2K was always miles ahead in front of Live regarding gameplay quality but in recent years that quality dropped my dude, because it lacks competition. Just like Curry is unanimous MVP this season, 2K is anonimous simulation basketball for years now regarding of gameplay/bugs/flaws. I have feeling they are not interested anymore in making super quality sim basketball anymore because they are nr.1, so obviously main goal now is to use things like this one to boost sales even more, one last time this year.

Devs started to cater to every little complain, especially from casual folks that aren't interested in realism. You think casual average Joe notices how flawed is transition defense ? To him is just important to chuck some treys, win some games online, pimp out myplayer to 99 and that's it.

Bottom line: If you're making some product that was praised for it's quality for years and you end up without real competition, you will over time focus on quantity not quality anymore.

# 70 jeebs9 @ 05/13/16 08:38 PM
Is this over yet?

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

# 71 GSW @ 05/13/16 08:54 PM
Quote:
First of all i am very happy that i live in this era to witness such season, as much as i was happy when i witnessed 81 pts from Kobe. Yes i talked about this maketing thing in this thread because it's so gimmicky, cheap, corny..call it however you want. 2K represent game as pure sim but can you tell me how much sim 2K16 really is ? Is it at least 50% sim ? As long time 2K fan i am aware that much more effort gameplay wise was put into last gen titles, agree with me or not it was like that.

I enjoy sim basketball that's why i played 2K all these years first and foremost. 2K was always miles ahead in front of Live regarding gameplay quality but in recent years that quality dropped my dude, because it lacks competition. Just like Curry is unanimous MVP this season, 2K is anonimous simulation basketball for years now regarding of gameplay/bugs/flaws. I have feeling they are not interested anymore in making super quality sim basketball anymore because they are nr.1, so obviously main goal now is to use things like this one to boost sales even more, one last time this year.

Devs started to cater to every little complain, especially from casual folks that aren't interested in realism. You think casual average Joe notices how flawed is transition defense ? To him is just important to chuck some treys, win some games online, pimp out myplayer to 99 and that's it.

Bottom line: If you're making some product that was praised for it's quality for years and you end up without real competition, you will over time focus on quantity not quality anymore.
You didn't answer my question about marketing. Instead you chose to rant about how "not sim" the game is. That's ok.

I'm going to bow out from the conversation now. But I will say, we have community members who work for 2k now whose entire goal is to make the game "Sim". Hold on...I said game. I am repeating this because through all this talk about sim...we forget sometimes we are playing a GAME. So boosting someone who is having a supernatural season for 30 freakin hours is not really that big of a deal.

There has NEVER and will NEVER be a 100% sim game, though this game does a FANTASTIC job and continues to do so year after year of moving towards that direction.

What is "SIM"????...SIMULATION...Simulating real life...let's see. Authentic player likeness, shoes, dribble styles, Tendencies, plays, shooting forms, etc etc...if that's not moving in the direction of SIMULATING REAL LIFE...then I really don't know what is.

In fact, if you don't think that is SIMULATING REAL LIFE...then you should probably just play a different game my man.

# 72 MoneyOvaHuds @ 05/13/16 09:09 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeebs9
Is this over yet?

No it's forever tbh , Curry gonna go back down to a 97 but he's been patched and still going to be the best shooter in the game . So trying to avoid online is pretty much pointless .

# 73 jeebs9 @ 05/13/16 09:10 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by MoneyOvaHuds
No it's forever
Be careful.....lol

# 74 MoneyOvaHuds @ 05/13/16 09:11 PM
You really messed up my post [emoji24][emoji24]

# 75 SpeedyClaxton @ 05/13/16 09:21 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by GSW
You didn't answer my question about marketing. Instead you chose to rant about how "not sim" the game is. That's ok.

I'm going to bow out from the conversation now. But I will say, we have community members who work for 2k now whose entire goal is to make the game "Sim". Hold on...I said game. I am repeating this because through all this talk about sim...we forget sometimes we are playing a GAME. So boosting someone who is having a supernatural season for 30 freakin hours is not really that big of a deal.

There has NEVER and will NEVER be a 100% sim game, though this game does a FANTASTIC job and continues to do so year after year of moving towards that direction.

What is "SIM"????...SIMULATION...Simulating real life...let's see. Authentic player likeness, shoes, dribble styles, Tendencies, plays, shooting forms, etc etc...if that's not moving in the direction of SIMULATING REAL LIFE...then I really don't know what is.

In fact, if you don't think that is SIMULATING REAL LIFE...then you should probably just play a different game my man.
Aight, you got your opinion on that i got mine but why then consoles keep getting better and stronger if we will just settle for simulation GAME that can't be i won't say perfect because it can't be perfect but nearly perfect.

PS: Nothing personal, i like creative discussion and exchange of different opinions. Going now to watch Raptors @ Heat 2nd half

# 76 GSW @ 05/13/16 11:19 PM
OF course yo this is a discussion forum. Nothing personal at all.

Peace.

# 77 MoneyOvaHuds @ 05/14/16 01:37 PM
Wait what .......

Patch 6 has given curry the ability to stretch his 3 point range and hit more off the dribble shots . This was a way to make sure Curry play like he does in real life in terms of Range .

The 99 overall mini roster update has nothing to do what that . And it's basically no different from him being a 97 overall just better defense which is more credited to him getting a 99 rating .

Curry still been the best shooter in this game this entire season regardless of the mini update , what they meant by limit him is they didn't know if they wanted to patch him . But they did patch him so that makes your entire post about limiting him kind of irrelevant now .

Pretty sure in 2k17 Curry will have his new patched ability from out of the box maybe some new ratings added to the game who knows

The lil roster update for 30 hours was just a min tribute for having one of the greatest shooting seasons ever and winning his 2nd back to back MVP awards . That combine with him being a cover athlete , just something for marketing .

# 78 MoneyOvaHuds @ 05/14/16 04:16 PM
Unreal

This

Guy

Is

https://youtu.be/gaCMNxSMQc0

# 79 Johnnythelegend @ 05/15/16 04:19 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by MoneyOvaHuds
Unreal

This

Guy

Is

https://youtu.be/gaCMNxSMQc0
I got bored after watching a few minutes of this. I could watch Hakeem's or Duncan's or Kobe's post moves highlights for hours and really enjoy it. But i don't know, i am probably in a very minority but i simply don't enjoy this long range bombing as much as i enjoy mid range and back to the basket game

# 80 Themayorofawsometown @ 05/15/16 08:31 AM
SMH at some of the people who are so obsessed with sim they don't want something fun in a freaking video game that's near the end of it's cycle anyway and act like this is a evil marketing ploy to burn our homes and take our first borns

Sent from my N9130 using Tapatalk

Post A Comment
Only OS members can post comments
Please login or register to post a comment.