Home
Madden NFL 17 News Post

Madden NFL 17 address all three phases of the game on offense, defense, and special teams.

Quote:
Let's start with offense and the new Ball Carrier Controls. We’ve added a tiered system to the types of special moves different players are able to pull off – depending on their attributes, ratings and speed. So now, expect your bigger bruising backs to be more effective with truck moves and stiff arms, while smaller, shiftier backs have more effective jukes and spins. Now don't worry if you’re not a magician yet on the sticks. New Ball Carrier UI Prompts help teach moves available to you, while the new Path Assist helps you navigate and anticipate down field. Additionally on lower skill levels, you can put the work on us and we will pick the appropriate moves for you, unlocking the fun for all of our players. Now, onto the defensive side of the ball.

While the new tools on offense make you a better, more creative ball carrier, the New Defensive AI System is built on up to date NFL Strategies – such as Gap Play, Force Defenders and improved Zone Coverages. It’s time to force your opponents to stop being so one dimensional. New Gap Play AI brings a new level of NFL authenticity and strategy to your defensive teammates. Each of your teammates has a gap assignment on run defense that puts them in position to better defend the run. Force defenders protect the outside of the field, pushing the ball carrier back inside allowing cut back defenders to make the big play. Finally Zone Coverage has been completely overhauled, with the addition of 8 new zone concepts never before seen in Madden. Defenders have more awareness of threats to each zone and can pattern match receivers, creating defensive counters to stop virtually every passing concept. It's our most realistic AI to date and it's across the entire field.

Special Teams, the 3rd phase of football, is where big games are often won and lost. For the first time years we’re bringing the excitement back to special teams. A New Kick Meter is designed to increase the challenge of the kicking game like we see in today’s NFL. Additionally, the ability to ice the kicker allows you to turn up the pressure on those late game winning field goal attempts. New trick plays and a new block kick mechanic add new elements to the risk and reward of Special Teams.

Some features...

GROUND GAME
All-New on Both Sides of The Ball - Experience the most balanced gameplay to date on offense making you a better, more creative ball carrier, while new defensive AI puts your teammates into position to stop the run or passing game.

FRANCHISE
Redesigned and Deeper Than Ever - Take your team all the way in the deepest Franchise mode to-date, putting you at the center of your team’s Championship run.

PRESENTATION
See It and Hear It to Believe It - Feel and experience the game from a new perspective - focused on you.

MADDEN 365
Never Miss a Beat - If it happens in the NFL, it happens in Madden. Experience fresh content daily for your football fix.

Madden NFL 17 screenshot gallery - Click to view Madden NFL 17 screenshot gallery - Click to view
Game: Madden NFL 17Reader Score: 8/10 - Vote Now
Platform: PS3 / PS4 / Xbox 360 / Xbox OneVotes for game: 17 - View All
Member Comments
# 321 Hellisan @ 05/19/16 12:29 AM
ice the kicker seems like a sweet new mode. Never heard of it before.

# 322 jpdavis82 @ 05/19/16 08:19 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hellisan
ice the kicker seems like a sweet new mode. Never heard of it before.

Similar to ncaa but I heard it's different in some ways

# 323 SolidSquid @ 05/19/16 10:33 AM
Hoping we hear more new on pass rushing/blocking. Also can't wait to hear if they did anything with the sim engine.

# 324 BrianFifaFan @ 05/21/16 11:22 AM
Dang, just when I thought I was over you! Wow....

# 325 scoobyskyline3 @ 05/22/16 12:16 PM
The ability to edit attributes within the CFM mode is an online franchise mode killer for either the entire league or the commissioners at least. I'd rather just fix regression and not kill guys speed and strength...

# 326 jpdavis82 @ 05/24/16 11:53 PM
I'm ready for these bombs to drop that Rex hinted at tonight

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

# 327 Cowboy008 @ 05/25/16 07:30 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by jpdavis82
I'm ready for these bombs to drop that Rex hinted at tonight

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Maybe his favorite feature has something to do with Franchise mode or presentation since it looks like those blogs won't be out until early June.

# 328 BezO @ 05/25/16 09:01 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by SolidSquid
I don't even care about tiered offensive play calling but if they give us tiered defense with new gap control I'll be coming up with exotic blitz looks and packages. My fingers are crossed
Most folks don't mention or request re-tiering offensive play calling, but it's tied to the reason we want/need formation subs. The playbook ties formation to personnel. It shouldn't. We should be able to select them separately. Most just want to do it Madden style... formation subs.

# 329 Reed1417 @ 05/25/16 09:17 AM
I've been playing Madden for a long time, even played that other football game for a long time too. Can someone explain to me what exactly tiered play calling is? Cause when I see that word I think of levels of whatever you are referring to. Sorry if this clutters the thread I'm just curious. This is coming from a sim guy too hahaha!

Sent from my SM-G920P using Tapatalk

# 330 BezO @ 05/25/16 10:23 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Reed1417
I've been playing Madden for a long time, even played that other football game for a long time too. Can someone explain to me what exactly tiered play calling is? Cause when I see that word I think of levels of whatever you are referring to. Sorry if this clutters the thread I'm just curious. This is coming from a sim guy too hahaha!

Tiering would allow us to select front, blitzes/stunts and coverage independently, opposed to picking from the pre-packaged combinations EA provides.

Defense is more about concepts than "plays". Madden provides plays instead of letting us create those concepts.

# 331 BezO @ 05/25/16 10:34 AM
Quote:

Tiering would allow us to select front, blitzes/stunts and coverage independently, opposed to picking from the pre-packaged combinations EA provides. Defense is more about concepts than "plays". Madden provides plays instead of letting us create those concepts.

Similar on offense. Madden ties formations to personnel. You select Spread, for example, and Madden gives you 4 WRs. But that look can be run with any personnel... base, 3 WRs, 3 TEs, etc. Most want formation subs to address that short coming, but re-tiering offense play calling, allowing independently selection of personnel and formation would give the freedom that NFL coaches have.

# 332 BezO @ 05/25/16 10:43 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Big FN Deal
Lol, I just was asking you about this in another thread and I thought that might be the gist of your point, ask for fundamental fixes not bandaids. We've had that discussion in the past and I still say something is better than nothing, ie I don't think most people want it Madden style but if that's the best we can get right now, we'll take it, with regard to certain things.
I'll check for that post.

But developers listen to thier fans, we hope. We ask for formation subs, more hot routes, etc, they're likely to deliver that. Let's ask for what it should be and let them take baby steps on the way to that if necessary. I see so few folks talking about the problems with the offensive play calling (a few more regarding defense) that I'm not sure developers are aware there's a problem. They acknowledge the desire for form subs. I've not seen a developer talk about the tiering since I visited them in 2010.

# 333 Reed1417 @ 05/25/16 10:45 AM
Ah I gotcha. I think I understand it more now. I was always more of a baseball guy, never played football so that would explain why I'm not too familiar with all this stuff. It's sorta like creating a play based on the stunts, blitzes and coverages all put together? You know what I mean?

Reed is comin' atcha!!

# 334 mrprice33 @ 05/25/16 10:46 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by BezO
I'll check for that post.

But developers listen to thier fans, we hope. We ask for formation subs, more hot routes, etc, they're likely to deliver that. Let's ask for what it should be and let them take baby steps on the way to that if necessary. I see so few folks talking about the problems with the offensive play calling (a few more regarding defense) that I'm not sure developers are aware there's a problem. They acknowledge the desire for form subs. I've not seen a developer talk about the tiering since I visited them in 2010.
I think it would require such a fundamental rewrite of basically everything that it's going to be a while before we see tiered play calling on either side of the ball.

# 335 BezO @ 05/25/16 11:30 AM
Quote:
...It's sorta like creating a play based on the stunts, blitzes and coverages all put together? You know what I mean?
Exactly.

Offensive coordinators do it to some degree as well. You could put any combination of pass routes together, but some make more sense and accomplish certain things. Mike Martz of the 99, 00 & 01 Rams was famous for creating new plays every week. I would never expect Madden to get on that level.

# 336 BezO @ 05/25/16 11:40 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrprice33
I think it would require such a fundamental rewrite of basically everything that it's going to be a while before we see tiered play calling on either side of the ball.
Agreed. I was told that by devs back in 2010. Something they should've done when they supposedly "rebuilt Madden from the ground up" for this generation.

The problem was/is that the offensive assignments are tied to the defensive calls. Giving that freedom to the defense would break those assignments. With offensive players supposedly blocking areas instead of assignments this year, maybe it's coming in the near future.

They need to at least add to the pre-existing combinations and make similar versions available in all similar fronts. 4-3 base, over, under, etc, for example, should all have the same/similar "plays" available.

# 337 NoleFan @ 06/01/16 12:54 PM
This is the first information I've read about Madden 17 and if this pans out, it could be a good year for football gaming.

# 338 CyberRudy25 @ 06/02/16 11:05 PM
Hopefully franchise mode is updated with a sports ticker and espn integration or cbs .

# 339 Shadymamba @ 06/03/16 09:36 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cowboy008
I really like what I hear but I need to see it in action.
exactly - every year it sounds great - lets play it and be the judges ourselves

# 340 Diehardfan @ 06/06/16 06:54 PM
Yep....it's the same old song that's played every year at this time. I'll believe it when I see. I'll believe it when Pass Interference is called more than once every millennium.

Post A Comment
Only OS members can post comments
Please login or register to post a comment.