Home
Madden NFL 17 News Post

A new Madden NFL 17 blog has just arrived going over many new details on the running game, including special moves, takeout interaction system and much more.

Quote:
"Madden NFL 17 will feature a broad cast of new Ball Carrier mechanics to keep all Madden players engaged, from beginners to the hard core. Using modifiers, there are now four unique tactics available to customize the running game. In combination with the Fakeout Interactions, all carry their own risks and rewards. The four special-move types are: Standard, Speed (RT/R2), Precision (LT/L2) & Steerable (RT/R2 + LT/L2)."

I won't lie, I'm worried some of this stuff is getting a bit too complicated (think: fighting games and their convoluted control schemes) -- as there are a lot of different combinations to now memorize. Thankfully, the Madden team has thought about this with a couple of smart design decisions.

Quote:
"There’s some new tools available in Madden NFL 17 to make the user a better and more creative ball carrier, including recommended special-move prompts, projected path indicator, special-move feedback text and a setting-specific ball-carrier threat cone."

This will obviously be something which is able to be toggle on/off (On by default in Rookie/Pro modes). This on-screen feedback will help you figure out what you are doing right and wrong which should, in theory, make you better at using the moves. That's a nice little touch.

NOTE: Tackle Battle is on for all difficulty levels with no way to turn it off.

Quote:
"There are three unique ways to experience running the ball via the Ball Carrier Special Moves setting, which allows the user to customize the ground-game experience to his or her own liking (Auto, Assist, Manual)"

These three settings will allow anyone to take advantage of the new moves and not feel overwhelmed. Auto will be what it sounds like, the AI will make the moves as you simply steer the player. Assist will be a nice mix between full manual and full auto control.

The special moves sound like they're taking every level of Madden user into account, which makes them more appealing on the surface. What do you think? Read the full post and leave a comment below!

Source - Madden NFL 17 Gameplay Deep Dive - Ball Carrier Special Moves

Game: Madden NFL 17Reader Score: 8/10 - Vote Now
Platform: PS3 / PS4 / Xbox 360 / Xbox OneVotes for game: 17 - View All
Member Comments
# 141 CM Hooe @ 05/19/16 01:51 PM
At this point in Madden's dev cycle - I have to guess they are deep into alpha by this point - I'm going to guess there's not a whole lot of time to change anything for the boxed release. Changing course in a big software project is like steering an aircraft carrier; nothing happens quickly or without extensive coordination.

If an option to disable tackle battles ever appears - and that's certainly no guarantee right now - I wouldn't expect one until after the game launches.

# 142 therealsmallville @ 05/19/16 02:08 PM
I used to like button mashing at the 'ol Arcade. 25 cents per play, button mash with Lui Kang in Mortal Kombat. Good times. The button mashing always immersed me into the world of supernatural ninjas & demon warriors :P

Spoiler

# 143 theEDGE5 @ 05/19/16 02:44 PM
I like the sound of this, especially more animations. I am not much of an american football fan anymore but I do love the running game, which is pretty much the only thing I do in Madden so I like all this.

# 144 Kodii Rockets @ 05/19/16 02:49 PM
I think it may be time for OS to give 'immersion' the ***** treatment, it's getting out of hand...

That being said, as I've said many times before, I LOVE the direction Rex and the team are taking this game. Incredible strides, kudos gentlemen.

I don't like the idea of an icon popping up, I don't like the idea of said icon being a random button. I do like what they're implementing with this, even 'if' the execution of it isn't perfect.

I also agree with those that say that this particular feature should be a tapping of 1 dedicated button every time this instance appears, as has been said, I think that portrays the foot pumping vs. physical strength aspect of it a bit better.

Either way, if what the dev team is doing is still on par with the improvements that were made last year, I'll be satisfied with this iteration. Just please don't let me go another year without formation subs and defensive assignments. But again, since OP already confirmed that 'In my head', I'm good to go.

# 145 SIR924 @ 05/19/16 02:50 PM
Really interested to see how DB's and LB's new coverage plays out. If gap assignments work well, these games should come down to right strategy at right time for best outcome.

# 146 DeuceDouglas @ 05/19/16 03:02 PM
I don't know. I'll wait until the blog on it drops and we see it in some gameplay before making any more judgement. It's small potatoes compared to everything else we've gotten and are getting and it's obviously something that was geared towards online play which isn't me. We'll see how it looks and I have a vision in my head of something this could be that I'd actually enjoy but I don't feel like that's what it will end up being at least this year.

# 147 Armor and Sword @ 05/19/16 03:04 PM
Looks great. No doubt I will use manual. I want no visual aides when I play Madden. Clean screen for me.

But I love the new move types and tackle battle looks very interesting. It looks and sounds like a second effort mechanic to me.

# 148 Allball76 @ 05/19/16 03:17 PM
Smitty:
Madden 17: Ground Game Deep Dive Thoughts

https://youtu.be/tNyAD7CIvFs

More great feedback !

SimFBallCritic :
Madden 17 Run Fits, Defensive Gaps, Ball Carrier Moves Deep Dive | Hands On Experience

https://youtu.be/cq5GNHxXMOA

Another good feedback !

# 149 Allball76 @ 05/20/16 02:47 PM
SimFBallCritic :

Madden 17 Tackle Battles | How Does It Work?

https://youtu.be/cDDihpwMuFM

Madden 17 Run Fits, Defensive Gaps, Ball Carrier Moves Deep Dive | Hands On Experience

https://youtu.be/cq5GNHxXMOA

Smitty:
Madden 17: Ground Game Deep Dive Thoughts

https://youtu.be/tNyAD7CIvFs

More great feedback !

# 150 DeuceDouglas @ 05/20/16 03:25 PM
One thing that I hope got improved as well with all of these additions is the RB's contextual awareness when it comes to O-Lineman. It was better last year but there are still too many times where you get caught on arms or legs of lineman and kind of go into that zombie mode or bounce off and shoot away in a random direction.

# 151 ggsimmonds @ 05/21/16 09:28 AM
Compared to the improvements to defense I am not really that excited for these changes.

The RB special moves do not sound very good in my opinion. The blog says smaller guys will be better at jukes while larger guys will have more effective trucks and stiff arms. That sounds completely reasonable, until you read how they are achieving this. It is not by size but by rating, and there are only 3 "tiers." But in effect there will only be 2 -- those above 90 and those between 70-89.

So they are saying a RB with a juke rating of 71 is largely the same as one with a rating of 89? That doesn't work for me.

The icons and prompts don't bother me as they can be turned off. Which is exactly what I will do from day one so for me that is a useless addition.

Then we have the tackle battle. Don't like it at all. Reminds me of the fight for the fumble mechanic from several years back. It is a QTE inserted into a sports game.

What will matter for me when it comes to the run game is the AI. Actually that is near the top of my list in general so I would love to see a blog devoted to the game's AI.

# 152 jpdavis82 @ 05/21/16 09:31 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by ggsimmonds
Compared to the improvements to defense I am not really that excited for these changes.

The RB special moves do not sound very good in my opinion. The blog says smaller guys will be better at jukes while larger guys will have more effective trucks and stiff arms. That sounds completely reasonable, until you read how they are achieving this. It is not by size but by rating, and there are only 3 "tiers." But in effect there will only be 2 -- those above 90 and those between 70-89.

So they are saying a RB with a juke rating of 71 is largely the same as one with a rating of 89? That doesn't work for me.

The icons and prompts don't bother me as they can be turned off. Which is exactly what I will do from day one so for me that is a useless addition.

Then we have the tackle battle. Don't like it at all. Reminds me of the fight for the fumble mechanic from several years back. It is a QTE inserted into a sports game.

What will matter for me when it comes to the run game is the AI. Actually that is near the top of my list in general so I would love to see a blog devoted to the game's AI.

You need to watch the videos from people who actually played the game, tackle battle doesn't sound like it's even that noticeable and it only happens in certain situations and it's tied to ratings (tak vs brk tak), if a players ratings are not close there won't even be a battle.

# 153 ggsimmonds @ 05/21/16 09:47 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by jpdavis82
You need to watch the videos from people who actually played the game, tackle battle doesn't sound like it's even that noticeable and it only happens in certain situations and it's tied to ratings (tak vs brk tak), if a players ratings are not close there won't even be a battle.
I know that, still don't like it though.

Exactly how much I dislike it will come down to frequency though. And you don't know the frequency either. We all know it is tied to tak vs brk tak, but we don't know the range for it to trigger.

# 154 jpdavis82 @ 05/21/16 10:23 AM
Clint is watching

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

# 155 jpdavis82 @ 05/21/16 10:24 AM

# 156 MajorSupreme @ 05/21/16 10:43 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by jpdavis82

That was my only worry with the tackle battle feature, I'm good now. Madden sounds killer right now

# 157 DeuceDouglas @ 05/21/16 04:37 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by ggsimmonds
It's kind of crazy to think about what Madden could look like a few years down the road in regards to all the on-screen button prompts and now a little QTE.

# 158 Reed1417 @ 05/21/16 09:46 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by DeuceDouglas
It's kind of crazy to think about what Madden could look like a few years down the road in regards to all the on-screen button prompts and now a little QTE.

I can see it now, the whole game becomes one big QTE event! It'll be like Heavy Rain.....but FOOTBALL! xD

Reed is comin' atcha!!

# 159 SamDezzy43 @ 05/21/16 09:57 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by SportsGamer94
I really hope quick ball carriers can split between two defenders.
Got the answer for you mate!

Attachment 120490

# 160 TheBleedingRed21 @ 05/21/16 10:03 PM
Shame some of you are so quick to complain without even seeing or hearing more of a feature. Some of the absurd hyperbole statements about it is just ridiculous.

If and when more info on it is released, then we can pass judgement. As I stated before, the way this series has shifted in last few years, this dev team has earned our patience.

Post A Comment
Only OS members can post comments
Please login or register to post a comment.