Home
Madden NFL 17 News Post

Another Madden NFL 17 blog has just arrived going over defensive gaps, run fits and so much more. This one is filled with great information.

Let's go over a bit:

Quote:
"When implementing the run fits system, we installed it the same way the defensive coordinators install their defenses in the NFL – Alignment, Assignment and Technique – and what this amounts to is every defender on the field having a specific job to do on each play the user calls."

This is a much needed change in the series. For too long we've called defensive plays like they're offensive plays -- which was completely inaccurate. To be moving in a more sim direction is always welcome, especially in an area most every football game hasn't been close to right on since the dawn of gaming.

Quote:
"The AI will automatically flip your defense when the offense flips so that your defense aligns to the proper strength in relation to the offensive formation they are seeing after the huddle break. When your defense has been flipped, you will see visual feedback in the Score HUD to tell you that your defense has been flipped, as well as what part of the defense was flipped (Entire defense, Coverage, Front)."

This is a nice touch and completely awesome (and much welcome).

Quote:
"The next step in the Run-Fits system is Defensive Gap assignments. All defenders, both in the NFL and Madden 17 have a specific responsibility on each play – this includes gap integrity for ‘run-fit’ defenders and coverage responsibility plus run-support for coverage defenders – making the play-calling experience more engaging and strategy-based than in previous iterations. "

This is a great layer that, when combined with the previous assignment/flip options makes for a compelling layer of defensive strategy that you must go into. Compare this to previously calling a play and hot routing defensive players and you can instantly see why this is a huge upgrade.

Quote:
"Just because a defender is assigned to a gap pre-snap doesn’t mean he’s locked to that gap for the remainder of the play. Each defender has AI that allows him to update his gap and react to the war in the trenches to fill the open lanes created by the blockers as the play develops. This AI relies heavily on the Play Recognition Rating.

Based on the PRC rating, defenders will be faster or slower in reading the play and finding the right gap to fill."

I'm not 100% certain how this will fully play out, but it sounds promising and certainly deeper than what we've seen out of Madden when it comes to line play over the past several years. The PRC rating sounds like a nice touch and addition.

For more information on Madden's defensive improvements, including techniques as well as improvements to blocking, check out the full blog post at the link.

Source - Madden 17 Gameplay Deep Dive - Defensive Gaps and Run Fits

Game: Madden NFL 17Reader Score: 8/10 - Vote Now
Platform: PS3 / PS4 / Xbox 360 / Xbox OneVotes for game: 17 - View All
Member Comments
# 101 JPBeBeast @ 05/19/16 07:44 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cowboy008
No Defense Assignments

So painful

Sent from my SM-N920P using Tapatalk

# 102 Trick13 @ 05/19/16 08:02 PM
Quote:
No Defense Assignments

I hope "new concepts" includes double teams, non press reroutes (chucking within 5 yards) and finally the ability to bump the TE without having to manually do so...

# 103 MajorSupreme @ 05/19/16 08:12 PM
Quote:
No Defense Assignments

Darn! It seemed like the perfect complement to the in-depth defensive upgrades. Quite a letdown, really.

I mean, you always want your best player covering the opponent's best player. Seems rough. And this does not make hopeful for formation subs in CFM...

# 104 2_headedmonster @ 05/19/16 08:17 PM
i vaguely remember prior to the release of 16 when news was being released and they said no defensive assignments that they said something along the lines that it almost made the cut, but they wanted to do it right.....how did it manage to get left out this year?

Formation subs are an absolute must at this point.

# 105 redsox4evur @ 05/19/16 08:38 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by MajorSupreme
Darn! It seemed like the perfect complement to the in-depth defensive upgrades. Quite a letdown, really.

I mean, you always want your best player covering the opponent's best player. Seems rough. And this does not make hopeful for formation subs in CFM...

Might wanna tell that to Seattle...

# 106 MajorSupreme @ 05/19/16 08:41 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by redsox4evur
Might wanna tell that to Seattle...
Hey man, same team here haha. They've learned their lessons I'm sure

# 107 redsox4evur @ 05/19/16 08:42 PM
Quote:
Hey man, same team here haha. They've learned their lessons I'm sure

I know you're a Pats fan. Was just saying they only play Sherman on one side of the field. And I don't think they have.

# 108 MajorSupreme @ 05/19/16 08:46 PM
Quote:
I know you're a Pats fan. Was just saying they only play Sherman on one side of the field. And I don't think they have.
I'll give you that, recent results don't indicate that much was learned.

Oh well, sucks nonetheless that defensive assignments are out.

# 109 SolidSquid @ 05/19/16 08:56 PM
Quote:
That's one team that runs a zone scheme, a man team might play differently. All depends on the coach

# 110 noplace @ 05/19/16 08:59 PM
Impressive EA team....

# 111 SolidSquid @ 05/19/16 09:20 PM
Does anyone have any ideas how pattern matching will be able to keep my number one corner on their number one wr when my opponent puts him in the slot?

# 112 MajorSupreme @ 05/19/16 09:25 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by SolidSquid
Does anyone have any ideas how pattern matching will be able to keep my number one corner on their number one wr when my opponent puts him in the slot?
Perhaps match-ups are already set up via the depth chart, not tied to a side of the field necessarily?

# 113 jpdavis82 @ 05/19/16 09:40 PM
Strip sacks are in and qb hits are greatly affected by the ball physics on them, Sim just got permission from Rex to say this tonight on the show

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

# 114 Tatupu_64 @ 05/19/16 10:57 PM
Quote:
I'll give you that, recent results don't indicate that much was learned.

Oh well, sucks nonetheless that defensive assignments are out.
Revis played something like 93% of his snaps on one side of the field as well with you guys

# 115 MajorSupreme @ 05/19/16 11:00 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tatupu_64
Revis played something like 93% of his snaps on one side of the field as well with you guys
Hey hey hey, we're not talking about us haha

# 116 SolidSquid @ 05/20/16 11:53 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by SportsGamer94
My favorite part was when the guy talked about people who control the safety will be in big trouble this year because they will no longer be able to cover the entire field with one safety. I gotta see that to believe it! Because that's one of the oldest legacy issues in Madden, hopefully the same goes for people who play linebacker.
This. It really takes away from the game when guys are able to roam the whole field with a safety. It's even worse when that safety isn't even good IRL. Earl Thomas is a center fielder, I'm fine when he does it, but when people do it with Chris conte it's a problem

# 117 OhMrHanky @ 05/20/16 12:03 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Big FN Deal
If I'm understanding correctly, then that means stuff like this should be fixed now? If so that's definitely a good thing.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TkWykzClOxE

Silly, madden. Trix r for kids! Lol. Yeah, those are the tough ones to deal with 4 sure.

# 118 ggsimmonds @ 05/20/16 01:02 PM
Great stuff but the thing I wanted the most (Sam/Will backers) did not make the cut. That sounds about right.

I like playing a 4-3 under so those positions matter a great deal in my defense.

My expectation for CFM is that there will be a lot of awesome additions, but the thing I want the most (custom draft classes) will likewise not make it in.

# 119 sebennayx @ 05/20/16 01:22 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by ggsimmonds
Great stuff but the thing I wanted the most (Sam/Will backers) did not make the cut. That sounds about right.

I like playing a 4-3 under so those positions matter a great deal in my defense.

My expectation for CFM is that there will be a lot of awesome additions, but the thing I want the most (custom draft classes) will likewise not make it in.
I get the distinct impression they would have to effectively rewrite the entire code not only behind the positions themselves, but also the play design, team and position scheme breakdowns, potentially even player traits given new positions, etc. It seems this would be no small feat.

All are needed at some point anyway to take the game to the next level, so given the direction they're going that may end up being a focus for 18...fingers crossed!

# 120 DeuceDouglas @ 05/20/16 04:53 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Big FN Deal
I listened to the show recently and he didn't go into specifics about why it's different in M17 though. I get that defenders now have assignments, so I'd imagine that will effect this "tactic" which is a good thing, yet I always felt this tactic was a result of lack of realistic movement. So I wonder were they just talking about this tactic will now rattle your defense's assignments or were they also referring to just covering that much ground being harder or not possible anymore.

Maybe people could tweet them about elaborating on this because this has been a legacy issue.
The bold has always been my thought as well. The only reason it's been possible is the ability to run full speed all over without ever having to slow down. I'd like it to suggest that True Step has made it to all 22 players or at the very least the players you're controlling but I'm starting to feel like that may still be a long way out.

Post A Comment
Only OS members can post comments
Please login or register to post a comment.