Home
Madden NFL 17 News Post

EA Sports has just posted a quick Madden NFL 17 video featuring the new hurdle move.

If you missed the new juke moves and score bug/banner, click here.

Game: Madden NFL 17Reader Score: 8/10 - Vote Now
Platform: PS3 / PS4 / Xbox 360 / Xbox OneVotes for game: 17 - View All
Member Comments
# 21 4thQtrStre5S @ 05/26/16 11:58 PM
The hurdle and the running animation looked improved; I think some people spend too much time diagnosing things and not noticing that many football players has some different ways in how they swing their arms while running - much of it seems to have to do with where they are in relation to defenders.

When in close proximity to defenders there is more exaggerated arms movement, but when a player gets into the open, they seem to tighten up their motion..

Anyway, here is a video of punt returns: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jal9l6oX28s

It appeared to me that the other players looked good in their motions.

But as it is been said for a very long time, you can never please everyone..

# 22 4thQtrStre5S @ 05/27/16 02:05 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by SportsGamer94
Too bad the running in Madden doesn't look anything like those. AB was not near any defenders when he first started running. To me the main issue is arms/elbows are too far away from the body and the free arm swings back too far.
The swing is a little exaggerated in regards to the relationship to the body, but the basic motion seems sound..

Here is AB on some big catches; his #2 best catch show a similar arm motion, though yes, in Madden the arm is a bit too far from the body:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kMnK6LnWF9I

# 23 Ampking101 @ 05/27/16 03:21 AM
Alright so I'm very mixed on this...

On one hand, the hurdle looks clean and it looks like it might have a use in this madden. I think I had a single successful hurdle in all of my time with 16 and that was with Darren Waller. I used to love the ability to hurdle defenders in Madden 25 in situations that called for it and it is nice to see that it might not be horribly nerfed anymore.

On the other hand...I hate that in each instance of the hurdle being used that we have seen so far, it's a clean hurdle with absolutely no contact and then directly after the hurdle they are able to execute yet another maneuver. I'm hoping that is just flavor footage and isn't the norm, but I'm genuinely worried. When you have Gronk and Brown shown being able to execute the exact same hurdle with the exact same efficiency, that bothers me. Most hurdles should have some form of contact to them, usually a hurdle will involve the ball carrier either using their foot to push off the defenders head or shoulder to get completely over them or dragging a knee or leg over them to clear the space, an absolutely clean, untouched hurdle is extremely rare. On top of that, in both instances we have seen of the hurdle, they then execute a move directly after it and succeed. These are high risk maneuvers and the hurdle is at the top of that list. Look at the Gurley highlight in the Rams/Seahawks game where he hurdles Earl Thomas, he makes a perfect hurdle like the one in the video, however he is then immediately hit by Shead and loses the ball resulting in a fumble, sure the Rams recovered but the point still stands.

So I'm not entirely sure how I feel about this yet and I won't make a judgement until I see the game in action or get my hands on it myself. I just tend to have my worries about the implementation of this mechanic.

# 24 EzMacK15 @ 05/27/16 04:17 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by apollon42

Hurdles are nothing new
Right! And Madden recycles something old and calls it new every year smh. They always take something old and claim its some new innovative improvement. I've been playing Madden since Madden 2000 and it kills me how much they have taken out just to put back in only to claim its new. We getting hype over jukes and hurdles that were already in the game in the past. new cleats and gloves that should have been in the game. A single arm sleeve that was in NCAA years ago. so called defensive adjustments that stop money plays that will eventually get exploited. Gap assignments that should have been in the game when they so called worked on the defensive side of that ball years ago. They bragged about wr/db interaction like on the old system you couldn't jam the receiver and really mess up the play. All madden does is recycle and half the people complain, while the other half either call people trolls or eat the new stuff up like its a huge improvement.

# 25 buggee @ 05/27/16 08:12 AM
The hurdle itself looks good. The main problem is the transition from the running to the hurdling. Way too sudden. Just doesn't happen that way in real life. I can understand however, this may have been done to give more control responsiveness to the user. e.g. Press the hurdle button = the runner hurdles, which some players would prefer, not shuffling of feet leading to a hurdle which would have made the animation more realistic. Tough decision to make for a developer.

# 26 Big_Blue @ 05/27/16 08:28 AM
My god that running animation is ugly

# 27 cthurt @ 05/27/16 10:06 AM
I hate to be that guy but here's one of the things I hate about the way EA and Madden do things, ok the hurdle looked clean and that's fine, BUT I rather have ran into this animation while playing the game and had that "wow did that just happen" factor kick in, but instead I have the I hope this hurdle feature wont be overpowered in the game feel, because we all know anything new in Madden will be beat over our heads over and over to make sure everyone gets to see the new feature in the game.

Oh and the ugly running animations has always been a problem in Madden so I wont even speak on it any further.

# 28 Speedy @ 05/27/16 10:35 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by EzMacK15
Right! And Madden recycles something old and calls it new every year smh. They always take something old and claim its some new innovative improvement. I've been playing Madden since Madden 2000 and it kills me how much they have taken out just to put back in only to claim its new. We getting hype over jukes and hurdles that were already in the game in the past. new cleats and gloves that should have been in the game. A single arm sleeve that was in NCAA years ago. so called defensive adjustments that stop money plays that will eventually get exploited. Gap assignments that should have been in the game when they so called worked on the defensive side of that ball years ago. They bragged about wr/db interaction like on the old system you couldn't jam the receiver and really mess up the play. All madden does is recycle and half the people complain, while the other half either call people trolls or eat the new stuff up like its a huge improvement.
Get off the soap box and be constructive; I get that there are several features/things in Madden that have regressed BUT there are several things that have improved over the years as well.

This thread is specific about hurdles so stay on point.

# 29 talucchesi @ 05/27/16 11:55 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crunky
The running motion reminds me of Woody from Toy Story.
This is too accurate Lol

# 30 4thQtrStre5S @ 05/27/16 01:20 PM
I do not know how to post this new video, but on Facebook, on the EA Sports Madden NFL page, there is a new video on the SPIN move; was posted about 25 minutes ago.

# 31 Yanks1408 @ 05/27/16 08:21 PM
Quote:
lol, this year it's the "new" kick meter.

# 32 PVarck31 @ 05/27/16 08:46 PM
You guys have been wanting a new kicking interface for years, they give it to you and people complain that they had a similar interface in the past.

There are a lot of things in Madden that deserve our criticism, but complaining about them adding a new kicking interface because it is similar to one in the past is pretty petty to be honest.

# 33 phenom2311 @ 05/29/16 12:36 AM
Inexcusable to have bad and unnatural looking running animations at this point.

# 34 EzMacK15 @ 05/29/16 03:55 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Speedy
Get off the soap box and be constructive; I get that there are several features/things in Madden that have regressed BUT there are several things that have improved over the years as well.

This thread is specific about hurdles so stay on point.
Do you really care about a "new" hurdle when we've been able to hurdle people for multiple games. The point I was making and responding to is that they always hype some stuff that shouldn't be hyped. A new hurdle, wow I really want to buy the game now. If you get that hype over stuff that's been in the game that's your opinion but I'd rather them do something actual worthwhile than showing us stuff that's been in the game. Those new jukes were in the last gen, I used to do them all the time. New swats? When haven't we been able to do a swat. Better zone coverage? Don't we hear that every year? The D line finally doing what they should have been doing (following where their gaps are) has been complained about for years. Blocked kicks will probably be complained about being OP within weeks of the release. Still no formation subs? That's crazy. New single sleeves that have been in ncaa for years is nice but not super exciting. Finally upgraded cleates and gloves? It's about time. I love football and Madden is all we have so I want them to do all they can, not just recycle and claim stuff as new. I just want the game to actually improve rather keep feeling like the same every year. As many madden games I've bought over the years I have the right to complain. I get bored of the game in like a month every year but I love football so i buy it anyway. Not saying the game might not be better, but I doubt it will be drastically better. There is a reason people criticize EA so much.

# 35 roadman @ 05/29/16 07:53 AM
Quote:
Do you really care about a "new" hurdle when we've been able to hurdle people for multiple games. The point I was making and responding to is that they always hype some stuff that shouldn't be hyped. A new hurdle, wow I really want to buy the game now. If you get that hype over stuff that's been in the game that's your opinion but I'd rather them do something actual worthwhile than showing us stuff that's been in the game. Those new jukes were in the last gen, I used to do them all the time. New swats? When haven't we been able to do a swat. Better zone coverage? Don't we hear that every year? The D line finally doing what they should have been doing (following where their gaps are) has been complained about for years. Blocked kicks will probably be complained about being OP within weeks of the release. Still no formation subs? That's crazy. New single sleeves that have been in ncaa for years is nice but not super exciting. Finally upgraded cleates and gloves? It's about time. I love football and Madden is all we have so I want them to do all they can, not just recycle and claim stuff as new. I just want the game to actually improve rather keep feeling like the same every year. As many madden games I've bought over the years I have the right to complain. I get bored of the game in like a month every year but I love football so i buy it anyway. Not saying the game might not be better, but I doubt it will be drastically better. There is a reason people criticize EA so much.
Trouble is, EA isn't hyping these 17 second trailers as a new addition from scratch. If people are hyping 17 second trailers, that is on them. I think most of us are under the impression they are enhancing on what they have in the game now.

On paper, this game doesn't appear the same as 17. We'll find out soon enough.

I just think your message has been pounded several times in the past and it starts to sound like the dreaded beating horse.

You would be in the minority of people on OS who gave up on 16 within a month, a lot of us are still playing 16 because of the much improved game play.

# 36 EzMacK15 @ 05/29/16 02:42 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by roadman
Trouble is, EA isn't hyping these 17 second trailers as a new addition from scratch. If people are hyping 17 second trailers, that is on them. I think most of us are under the impression they are enhancing on what they have in the game now.

On paper, this game doesn't appear the same as 17. We'll find out soon enough.

I just think your message has been pounded several times in the past and it starts to sound like the dreaded beating horse.

You would be in the minority of people on OS who gave up on 16 within a month, a lot of us are still playing 16 because of the much improved game play.
I still play it, I've done 10 seasons three times in CFM but that feeling of it being a new game wears of fast. In the end I get tired of the way the players run the most. I really hate that ice skating feeling when I do running plays. I keep playing madden because I love football but there are always so many things that they could have done to make the game better. I'll admit that 16 does feel better than 15 but I just see so much potential Madden could have and just wish they would go all out.

# 37 ch46647 @ 05/29/16 08:20 PM
Running animations and locomotion (acceleration, de-celeration, footplanting, etc) has been Maddens #1 glaring weakness since Madden 06' came out for XBOX 360.

The Madden team has never found a way to fix this without breaking the engine. I will not get excited for another Madden, no matter how great the new features are, until the running animations and locomotion are completely overhauled.

Interesting thing is FIFA has one of the better locomotion engines in gaming. Really wish they could apply that to Madden. It would be a gamechanger.

# 38 Crunky @ 05/29/16 09:43 PM
It doesn't make sense that you have such a large development team but the running motions seem to regress yearly. The running motions should of superseded all the new features and been number 1 on developers priority. I haven't purchased a madden in over 10yrs this just won't cut it to bring me back. I don't know how the same developers who created madden 04 can come up with such an abomination as with what we see in this clip. Madden will sell regardless but its a shame cause the game could be so much better if they fixed the running motion.

# 39 mrprice33 @ 05/29/16 09:48 PM
Live ball physics, gap play, and modern zone technique are all more important than running animations IMO.

Hopefully they change them soon though, as they do look awkward from time to time.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

# 40 Crunky @ 05/29/16 09:56 PM
Yes I know those features should be more important than running motions which makes me a part of the small minority that are reluctant to make a purchase based on that. Hopefully the devs read this forum and make running motions a priority for next year.

Post A Comment
Only OS members can post comments
Please login or register to post a comment.