Home
Madden NFL 17 News Post

A new commentary team featuring Brandon Gaudin (play-by-play) and Charles Davis (color commentary and analysis) will replace Jim Nantz and Phil Simms in Madden NFL 17. The team will be able to add new commentary to the game throughout the entire season.

Quote:
Today EA Tiburon revealed the new commentary team that will be calling the games in Madden NFL 17. Brandon Gaudin will be the new voice providing play-by-play, with Charles Davis adding color commentary and analysis. Thanks to unprecedented access to Davis and Gaudin, Madden NFL 17 will ship with the most commentary ever at launch. This year’s game also features the opportunity to add commentary updates throughout the NFL season on Xbox One and PlayStation®4.

Brandon Gaudin will be joining the Big Ten Network as a play-by-play announcer this fall after being the Voice of the Georgia Tech Yellow Jackets since 2013. Additionally, he has been named the lead college football play-by-play voice for Westwood One Sports, and will also call occasional NFL games for the network. Gaudin will continue to serve as one of the voices for Westwood One’s coverage of men’s basketball, including conference championship week and the NCAA Tournament.

Charles Davis is best known for his work on the NFL Network and NFL on FOX. This past season he could be seen providing analysis each week during NFL on FOX broadcasts, as well as providing extensive coverage of the NFL Draft on NFL Network. Davis is known for his meticulous and detailed knowledge of the NFL, which he will bring to the Madden NFL 17 broadcast booth.

Read more about the new Madden NFL 17 commentary team in the official blog.

Game: Madden NFL 17Reader Score: 8/10 - Vote Now
Platform: PS3 / PS4 / Xbox 360 / Xbox OneVotes for game: 17 - View All
Member Comments
# 61 redsox4evur @ 06/08/16 12:38 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by dietdoubledew
He's on NFL Network quite a lot too. I mean I'm from England and know him...

I also haven't had the NFL Network that long. The past 4 years I have been at college, so didn't have it. And before that Verizon had it with their sports package which I don't pay for. So...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

# 62 jfsolo @ 06/08/16 12:51 PM
I'm one who always turns off the commentary, but with this fresh start, I will give in a shot. What I like best about this scenario is how these guys are embedded into the development team. They are invested in the quality of the product. It is not just a paycheck for them. When making games, that kind of thing shows up in the finished product.

Their energy and enthusiasm far outweigh the network/brand name value of established announcers, IMO.

# 63 boxboy99 @ 06/08/16 12:52 PM
Always thought EA needed to hire their own commentators that can commit to the job. Shocked they did it, well done.

# 64 Dazraz @ 06/08/16 12:54 PM
This certainly is an interesting & unique direction for EA to go. I have my doubts the weekly commentary updates will have much impact on Franchise Mode but we'll have to see. At the end of the day EA have tried numerous commentary teams over the years with no overall big improvements at the end of the day so hopefully this will work better.

# 65 BadAssHskr @ 06/08/16 12:56 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by BrandH
I love that they can add new lines all the time, but there is not one announcer I dislike more than Charles Davis which probably is on an unhealthy level considering many people probably couldn't even tell you who he is, lol. He always seems to be framing his analysis as a question to his Partner as he ALWAYS calls who ever he works with to avoid catching any criticism if he is wrong. "Partner, don't you think they should run the ball here" he says as they throw a bomb for a touchdown right after he says it, lol. "This looks like a good time for them to punt it away and play deffense, right Partner?" As the team goes for it an converts. Rant over haha.
i really couldn't disagree with this any more than i do right now. He's a great football mind, expresses his point clearly, and provides outstanding analysis.

he's an asset to football commentary when on tv, and he's going to be a huge asset to the Madden franchise.

# 66 Marino @ 06/08/16 01:00 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by redsox4evur
Being a Pats fan I am usually watching CBS during the year. And I am not subject to hearing the 8th string commentators. And I don't watch college football.

7th string*

Ronde Barber's crew is 8th string for FOX. (He sucks, get him all the time, hates the Panthers, blah blah blah)

# 67 dietdoubledew @ 06/08/16 01:03 PM
Quote:
I also haven't had the NFL Network that long. The past 4 years I have been at college, so didn't have it. And before that Verizon had it with their sports package which I don't pay for. So...

He also posts articles on NFL.com quite a lot. You'd seriously have to avoid Fox football, NFL Network and NFL.com to not know he is.

If you don't then fair enough but I struggle to believe a big NFL fan wouldn't know who he is.

# 68 redsox4evur @ 06/08/16 01:08 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by dietdoubledew
He also posts articles on NFL.com quite a lot. You'd seriously have to avoid Fox football, NFL Network and NFL.com to not know he is.

If you don't then fair enough but I struggle to believe a big NFL fan wouldn't know who he is.

I may have read his articles on NFL.com but honestly don't remember half of the guys that have wrote the articles that I have read. I pay more attention to the content then the writer honestly. Also not really a big NFL fan. I follow my team and that's it. Only neutral game I will watch is the SB. I'd call me a super casual fan. I'll check stats every now and then. Follow the draft, offseason, play Madden, etc. But I'm not the guy that goes out and buys Sunday Ticket or Red Zone to watch every game or see scoring plays.

# 69 kehlis @ 06/08/16 01:10 PM
Yet decided to call everyone hypocritical for being excited about this without even knowing who he was?

# 70 redsox4evur @ 06/08/16 01:14 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by kehlis
Yet decided to call everyone hypocritical for being excited about this without even knowing who he was?

No I did a quick google of both of them. As I stated earlier I read his Wikipedia page and it hadn't said he had done NFL games. Just was the lead College Football Analyst for Fox. And then did some college stuff for the NFLN with the Combine and Senior Bowl. So I figured that he was a college guy that hadn't called any NFL. But as Price and Marino among others pointed out I was wrong about him not doing NFL games.

# 71 scottyp180 @ 06/08/16 01:17 PM
Damn the improvements to this game are getting better and better. I have to give EA credit, over the last few years they have been doing a solid job of making this game better and better.

The new commentary team and announcement of updated commentary isn't exactly game changing but it will help keep the game feeling fresh and alive throughout the season. Group it with the other various improvements this year and it's sounds like a game that will definitely be worth a purchase.

This is coming from someone who was initially planning on skipping this year or at least holding off on that game at first but the more I hear about this game the more anticipated it becomes.

# 72 mrprice33 @ 06/08/16 01:18 PM
Quote:
No I did a quick google of both of them. As I stated earlier I read his Wikipedia page and it hadn't said he had done NFL games. Just was the lead College Football Analyst for Fox. And then did some college stuff for the NFLN with the Combine and Senior Bowl. So I figured that he was a college guy that hadn't called any NFL. But as Price and Marino among others pointed out I was wrong about him not doing NFL games.

So you called people hypocritical based on...nothing?

# 73 redsox4evur @ 06/08/16 01:21 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrprice33
So you called people hypocritical based on...nothing?

No it was old and not updated information as I said before...I admit I jumped the gun and I should have done more research.

# 74 charter04 @ 06/08/16 01:27 PM
Presentation and accessories are low on my priority list behind gameplay/strategy and CFM but, I'm all for these changes.

I usually don't notice presentation or commentary much unless it's bad. If they can really make this good I'm sure it will add to the overall immersion so that's great

# 75 Datninja619 @ 06/08/16 01:54 PM
I loved the part about supplemental players names being in the game.

I could only imagine a undrafted or late round player commentary being "#85 with the TD"

Then after 10 weekly updates the commentary is "It's hard to believe #85 Antonio Gates was just an undrafted free agent"

These weekly updates have a chance to keep the game fresh.

Now, if only they can transition that into franchise mode also. Sort of a commentary that the starting QB was injured or benched (if the starting QB isn't injured)

# 76 NewscasterNews4 @ 06/08/16 01:59 PM
Since Charles Davis is now part of the commentary team maybe he can really help improve Madden's NFL Draft coverage. If they were able to get him to make a draft big board/mock draft every year in CFM and maybe even provide some commentary on prospects taken in the draft franchise can improve majorly.

# 77 bad_philanthropy @ 06/08/16 02:07 PM
Was that the updated Miami stadium (with the roof/canopy)in the video?

# 78 mrprice33 @ 06/08/16 02:20 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by bad_philanthropy
UHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH HUH

# 79 Marino @ 06/08/16 02:22 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by bad_philanthropy
From a video I saw that had Brandon Marshall in it, I think so.

# 80 Sheba2011 @ 06/08/16 02:23 PM
This is one of the biggest and best updates for me this year. I would rather pour battery acid in my ears than sit through another year of Phil Simms.

Post A Comment
Only OS members can post comments
Please login or register to post a comment.