Home
Madden NFL 17 News Post

A new commentary team featuring Brandon Gaudin (play-by-play) and Charles Davis (color commentary and analysis) will replace Jim Nantz and Phil Simms in Madden NFL 17. The team will be able to add new commentary to the game throughout the entire season.

Quote:
Today EA Tiburon revealed the new commentary team that will be calling the games in Madden NFL 17. Brandon Gaudin will be the new voice providing play-by-play, with Charles Davis adding color commentary and analysis. Thanks to unprecedented access to Davis and Gaudin, Madden NFL 17 will ship with the most commentary ever at launch. This year’s game also features the opportunity to add commentary updates throughout the NFL season on Xbox One and PlayStation®4.

Brandon Gaudin will be joining the Big Ten Network as a play-by-play announcer this fall after being the Voice of the Georgia Tech Yellow Jackets since 2013. Additionally, he has been named the lead college football play-by-play voice for Westwood One Sports, and will also call occasional NFL games for the network. Gaudin will continue to serve as one of the voices for Westwood One’s coverage of men’s basketball, including conference championship week and the NCAA Tournament.

Charles Davis is best known for his work on the NFL Network and NFL on FOX. This past season he could be seen providing analysis each week during NFL on FOX broadcasts, as well as providing extensive coverage of the NFL Draft on NFL Network. Davis is known for his meticulous and detailed knowledge of the NFL, which he will bring to the Madden NFL 17 broadcast booth.

Read more about the new Madden NFL 17 commentary team in the official blog.

Game: Madden NFL 17Reader Score: 8/10 - Vote Now
Platform: PS3 / PS4 / Xbox 360 / Xbox OneVotes for game: 17 - View All
Member Comments
# 81 fballturkey @ 06/08/16 02:33 PM
I didn't hate Simms and Nantz, I was just tired of them and tired of hearing recycled lines from years ago. This is a good move.

The weekly updates thing doesn't really do much for me though. I play franchise and unless the updates aren't specific to the actual season being played next year I doubt I'll ever hear them. I guess they'll probably trigger in online and exhibition games so there's that.

# 82 HealyMonster @ 06/08/16 02:36 PM

# 83 RexDEAFootball @ 06/08/16 02:41 PM
Brandon is amazing. You guys will not believe the difference. Here is a small taste from his college radio days:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=78NXOtJXH8I

# 84 Armor and Sword @ 06/08/16 02:48 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by RexDEAFootball
Brandon is amazing. You guys will not believe the difference. Here is a small taste from his college radio days:
Wow!!!!!

Madden is getting kicked up several notches with some excitement in the play by play/color presentation!!!

Can't wait to hear it in action.

# 85 OhMrHanky @ 06/08/16 02:49 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by SportsGamer94
I'm just happy Phil Sims is gone, that's an improvement within it's self. Fresh commentary is a welcomed addition, I like the weekly updates but I still need to hear how the commentary flows within the game, hopefully it doesn't have that dead spot of silence in between plays.

Yeah, it was interesting listening to the podcast. They mentioned this being more difficult in football than other sports (telling stories filling in action), and I have to say, I agree with that. In madden, especially, you're calling a play within 10 secs and snapping the ball. So, there's not much time. Hopefully, they've got quick 'stories' and/or they've got the technology to 'continue' their stories. I play Fifa as well as madden, and I tell u, some of the stories told in FIFA are AMAZING to me. Those guys will talk about something for like 5 mins straight. And, you're half listening because you're also constantly playing the game, of course. But, after they stop that story and move on, you're like, 'holy crap! They just gave a full synopsis of player X's entire career!!' Or, the history of that franchise or something. But, again, in soccer, u don't have to give a play by play, so u can record a scripted long conversation and plug it in wherever, in essence.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

# 86 Jershy88 @ 06/08/16 02:51 PM
I am very impressed! Is madden the first sports title to offer fluid commentary? Way to be ahead of the curve dev team, it will be the new standard!

# 87 DeuceDouglas @ 06/08/16 03:02 PM
Can't wait to hear them in action. New commentary teams are always fun at the start and Jim Nantz and Phil Simms had become way too repetitive. But Madden commentary never was terrible because of who was announcing (except with radio bunker guy), but because of how it was executed which we've yet to see. If it's still "Vikings line up at the 47.....Toss to Peterson....TOUCHDOWN!!" then it's still going to be bad no matter who's doing it. They need to find a flow that leaves as little dead space as possible while sounding good which is a very hard task. The weekly updates should hopefully help with constantly adding more and more things that are usable going forward. It might be a little rough at first but hopefully this will be the team that sticks together for a while and provides a noticable improvement year in, year out.

# 88 extremeskins04 @ 06/08/16 03:10 PM
But the updated commentary makes no sense for Franchise mode because if a player got traded to another team in real life it won't happen in an already in progress franchise mode. What if I'm already in year 3 of my franchise and one of my players were to be traded. I decide in my franchise if this player gets traded.

So I will assume this feature is just for Play Now games.

# 89 mrprice33 @ 06/08/16 03:14 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by extremeskins04
But the updated commentary makes no sense for Franchise mode because if a player got traded to another team in real life it won't happen in an already in progress franchise mode. What if I'm already in year 3 of my franchise and one of my players were to be traded. I decide in my franchise if this player gets traded.

http://www.operationsports.com/forum...5&postcount=48

# 90 DeuceDouglas @ 06/08/16 03:16 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by extremeskins04

Certain lines or additions could only apply to those. But with weekly updates it could also account for breakout players or even middle of the road players that make a name for themselves. For instance last year at launch Charcandrick West or Spencer Ware would never have been considered to have their names recorded but with injuries their play time significantly increased and they now have the ability to record and input those names into scenarios. So instead of hearing "Touchdown Chiefs" every time you score with one of them no matter what, now maybe after an update you hear "Touchdown Charcandrick West" sometimes too. Same with players like Victor Cruz where maybe later in the cycle the announcers are saying his name when at release he wasn't even on the radar.

# 91 brent3419 @ 06/08/16 03:19 PM
so glad i dont have to hear nantz say bugaboo no more

Sent from my SM-G360P using Tapatalk

# 92 Datninja619 @ 06/08/16 03:19 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by NewscasterNews4
Since Charles Davis is now part of the commentary team maybe he can really help improve Madden's NFL Draft coverage. If they were able to get him to make a draft big board/mock draft every year in CFM and maybe even provide some commentary on prospects taken in the draft franchise can improve majorly.
What if I told you they improved the Draft Coverage....

Just kidding. No idea if they did, but we shall find out when the blog is released!

# 93 mrprice33 @ 06/08/16 03:20 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by DeuceDouglas
Certain lines or additions could only apply to those. But with weekly updates it could also account for breakout players or even middle of the road players that make a name for themselves. For instance last year at launch Charcandrick West or Spencer Ware would never have been considered to have their names recorded but with injuries their play time significantly increased and they now have the ability to record and input those names into scenarios. So instead of hearing "Touchdown Chiefs" every time you score with one of them no matter what, now maybe after an update you hear "Touchdown Charcandrick West" sometimes too. Same with players like Victor Cruz where maybe later in the cycle the announcers are saying his name when at release he wasn't even on the radar.
Right. They obviously won't specifically record stuff for your CFM but happenings in your CFM might be covered by future updates. If it's done right you won't even know it happened.

# 94 DeuceDouglas @ 06/08/16 03:32 PM
Quote:
Don't get too excited until you hear how it sounds in game, remember this.
That is a great video to show just how much different the flow is between Madden and a normal broadcast. If they could achieve anywhere near that level of fluidity then it would be a ridiculous jump in quality for commentary.

# 95 undrafted @ 06/08/16 03:36 PM
I really liked the part about foley, those peeks behind the scenes with rubbed cloth, spoon meets helmet, ski pole and drenched shirt sure felt fascinating, and made me better appreciate the efforts of those who strive to "tell a story" in a videogame using sound effects.

# 96 TreyIM2 @ 06/08/16 03:41 PM
Definitely like the sound of this but execution, as always, will be key. Will it all flow or be choppy and out of place? We'll find out.

# 97 Gilley @ 06/08/16 04:00 PM
I'm just so happy I'm no longer going to have to hear Phil Simms pronounce "Jim" as "Jeem".

# 98 apollon42 @ 06/08/16 04:48 PM
Quote:
Don't get too excited until you hear how it sounds in game, remember this.

The commentary in the finished game could not sound any farther from this.

# 99 Iceman87GT @ 06/08/16 05:09 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by RexDEAFootball
So bummed that he won't be continuing at Tech. We've had 3 straight amazing play-by-play guys (Al Ciraldo, Wes Durham, and Gaudin) I fear we won't get a 4th straight.

# 100 SoxFan01605 @ 06/08/16 05:19 PM
While I'm not on the same hype train as a lot of people appear to be, I'm definitely interested in how this plays out...particularly for offline franchise. Plenty of potential here, for sure.

Post A Comment
Only OS members can post comments
Please login or register to post a comment.