Home
Madden NFL 17 News Post

MBL Network has posted their Madden NFL 17 4 Verts Podcast with Madden NFL 17 developer, Dustin Smith.

Quote:
Part 2 of our interview with Madden developer Dustin Smith. We talk about the process for building ratings for rookie as well as decreasing the ratings as stars age. We get into a discussion about the new OVR formula and it's potential effect on the game.

If you missed the first podcast on Everything You Need to Know About Equipment, click here.

Game: Madden NFL 17Reader Score: 8/10 - Vote Now
Platform: PS3 / PS4 / Xbox 360 / Xbox OneVotes for game: 17 - View All
Member Comments
# 1 T4VERTS @ 07/06/16 08:12 AM

MBL Network has posted their Madden NFL 17 4 Verts Podcast with Madden NFL 17 developer, Dustin Smith.

Quote:
Part 2 of our interview with Madden developer Dustin Smith. We talk about the process for building ratings for rookie as well as decreasing the ratings as stars age. We get into a discussion about the new OVR formula and it's potential effect on the game.

If you missed the first podcast on Everything You Need to Know About Equipment, click here.

# 2 underdog13 @ 07/06/16 10:50 AM
Love that below average starters will be in the low 70s or high 60s.

Sent from my VS980 4G using Tapatalk

# 3 T4VERTS @ 07/06/16 10:54 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by underdog13

Yes, it kind of fits in with the thread about ratings spreading out more.

# 4 jfsolo @ 07/06/16 12:02 PM
This ratings piece was a nice coup interview wise. This information hasn't really been discussed anywhere else. It's like they're letting the ratings be puffed up in MUT, or DC, while tuning the "real" ratings for CFM now.

It seems like we're all going to have make a mental adjustment to thinking of mid 70's players as solid starts, as opposed to those guys being our back ups. Also, not thinking of rookies that come in as 65's as being busts.

This is like a pretty big change that they're keeping on the DL.

Ideologically I agree with Kane's thinking on creating and adjusting ratings, people on the opposite ends of the spectrum, the ones who are too enamored with big plays, as well as those who are hard core into analytics, may hate how he approaches things, but I'm down with his methodology.

# 5 T4VERTS @ 07/06/16 12:10 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by jfsolo
This ratings piece was a nice coup interview wise. This information hasn't really been discussed anywhere else. It's like they're letting the ratings be puffed up in MUT, or DC, while tuning the "real" ratings for CFM now.

It seems like we're all going to have make a mental adjustment to thinking of mid 70's players as solid starts, as opposed to those guys being our back ups. Also, not thinking of rookies that come in as 65's as being busts.

Ideologically I agree with Kane's thinking on creating and adjusting ratings, people on the opposite ends of the spectrum, the ones who are too enamored with big plays, as well as those who are hard core into analytics, may hate how he approaches things, but I'm down with his methodology.
Yea it was interesting when we got talking. I had heard some rumors out of EA Play that they were redoing overalls, but when he started discussing it a bit I was intrigued.

# 6 Allball76 @ 07/06/16 01:39 PM
Quote:

Now this is going in the right direction

# 7 Allball76 @ 07/06/16 01:42 PM
Quote:

It's one of them things that will improve gameplay , but I think they know the casuals will react diffrent and not be open minded .So keep it on the DL and wait till it drops let ppl try it out first .

# 8 jfsolo @ 07/06/16 02:59 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Allball76
It's one of them things that will improve gameplay , but I think they know the casuals will react diffrent and not be open minded .So keep it on the DL and wait till it drops let ppl try it out firsts .
Yep, I feel like this was a very shrewdly calculated move, and one that should work out, because the mindset of most CFM players is different than that of the folks who primarily play those other modes, IMO.

# 9 briz1046 @ 07/06/16 03:46 PM
Quote:
Yep, I feel like this was a very shrewdly calculated move, and one that should work out, because the mindset of most CFM players is different than that of the folks who primarily play those other modes, IMO.

Don't really see any need to suggest any kind of * conspiracy theory * to account for the timing of the release of the ratings as it's been pretty much the same for years that ratings are the last things to be discussed

# 10 T4VERTS @ 07/06/16 03:54 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by briz1046
Don't really see any need to suggest any kind of * conspiracy theory * to account for the timing of the release of the ratings as it's been pretty much the same for years that ratings are the last things to be discussed
I think he means them not being very vocal about the changes to OVR yet. They'd rather deal with it when all ratings are released rather than make it well known and deal with blow back for another month before ratings release.

# 11 briz1046 @ 07/06/16 04:13 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by T4VERTS
I think he means them not being very vocal about the changes to OVR yet. They'd rather deal with it when all ratings are released rather than make it well known and deal with blow back for another month before ratings release.
I understand that and you may be correct however I really don't see any difference in how ratings have been discussed this year as opposed to recent history .Maybe that is your point though if they regard this as a major change ?

# 12 roadman @ 07/06/16 04:21 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by briz1046
I understand that and you may be correct however I really don't see any difference in how ratings have been discussed this year as opposed to recent history .Maybe that is your point though if they regard this as a major change ?
I think the point is that even though ratings come out towards the street date, they are keeping things low key on the OVR's more spread out than normal.

No real big announcements at EA Play and probably no back of the box feature.

# 13 sir psycho @ 07/06/16 04:38 PM
Spread out ratings?

# 14 UtahUtes32 @ 07/06/16 04:52 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Allball76
Now this is going in the right direction
Agreed. Greater disparity is better

# 15 Allball76 @ 07/06/16 05:26 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by sir psycho
Spread out ratings?

Yes Dustin said Donny Moore was try to spread ratings and lower the speed before he left ala lower speed in Madden 16 . And that Dustin like what Donny was doing and he's gonna move Foward with it ala Madden 17 .

# 16 majesty95 @ 07/06/16 06:10 PM
Love the podcast Sonny. You do a great job!

# 17 Cowboy008 @ 07/06/16 08:39 PM
Good interview. I'm glad they have worked on the OVR rating.

# 18 khaliib @ 07/06/16 09:37 PM
In many ways, I wish they would just do the ratings in the intervals/tiers they've programmed that the player will animate/play differently during gameplay.

If it takes a 15pt difference before we will see a WR route run less sharper than another, then set the editing intervals at that.

All these in-between numbers that show no visual difference during gameplay, is a waste of time if said player will still play the same (AI wise) even after a couple pts have increased/decreased.

With whatever they're doing/going to do, there has to be a greater visual "gameplay" display of player differentiation in M17.

# 19 TheBleedingRed21 @ 07/06/16 10:08 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by khaliib
In many ways, I wish they would just do the ratings in the intervals/tiers they've programmed that the player will animate/play differently during gameplay.

If it takes a 15pt difference before we will see a WR route run less sharper than another, then set the editing intervals at that.

All these in-between numbers that show no visual difference during gameplay, is a waste of time if said player will still play the same (AI wise) even after a couple pts have increased/decreased.

With whatever they're doing/going to do, there has to be a greater visual "gameplay" display of player differentiation in M17.
Baby steps. They only have so much time per cycle. This is going in the right direction it seems.

# 20 Joshua1207 @ 07/06/16 10:31 PM
Quote:

I personally hate it. Hopefully one day they will use a true 0-100 scale and below average starters will be in the 30s (like how Front Office Football does their ratings). This is a start though, so I am happy for that.

« Previous12Next »

Post A Comment
Only OS members can post comments
Please login or register to post a comment.