Home
Madden NFL 17 News Post

EA Sports has continued revealing their Madden NFL 17 player ratings today, as they announce the top 5 running backs in the game. More detailed ratings can be seen in the official blog.

Check them out and post your thoughts!
  • Le'Veon Bell (Overall 94)
  • Adrian Peterson (Overall 91)
  • Doug Martin (Overall 90)
  • Jamaal Charles (Overall 89)
  • Lamar Miller (Overall 88)
Previously released Madden NFL 17 player ratings:

Madden NFL 17 screenshot gallery - Click to view Madden NFL 17 screenshot gallery - Click to view Madden NFL 17 screenshot gallery - Click to view Madden NFL 17 screenshot gallery - Click to view Madden NFL 17 screenshot gallery - Click to view
Game: Madden NFL 17Reader Score: 8/10 - Vote Now
Platform: PS3 / PS4 / Xbox 360 / Xbox OneVotes for game: 17 - View All
Member Comments
# 81 angels eclipse7 @ 07/22/16 08:44 PM
Gurley and Freeman are definitely better than Miller. I would even throw Jonathan Stewart in the category of running backs better than Miller. Miller would suffice at a 85 overall, in my opinion.

# 82 waynefontes @ 07/22/16 09:46 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Godgers12
But ever so often I wonder what could've been had the Packers drafted Barry Sanders instead of that lineman who shall remain nameless. We probably would have won 3-5 SB's in the 90's with Favre and Barry.
I was at or watched on TV, every game that Barry played. Barry on turf was absolutely amazing with an uncanny ability to juke, start and stop and then accelerate past helpless defenders but Barry on grass was a totally different player. He didn't have that same electric ability to make them miss on grass, like he did on turf so I don't think he would have made as great as impact for GB like he did for Detroit.

Barry wasn't a one cut and run through the hole player, his game was dancing behind the LOS and looking for the home run play which often resulted in many negative yard carries. He also wasn't a good pass catcher or blocker which would also diminish his value in a West Coast offensive scheme. However, as a pure running back, he probably had no peer, maybe Gale Sayers but I never saw him play live.

# 83 TheGentlemanGhost @ 07/22/16 10:02 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kwarren3
No problem. You couldn't pay me to attempt to tackle the guy (as cool as it would be to be able to say I got steam rolled by one of the greatest). Vikings fans will always passionately argue for AP because for years we've never had a real QB or passing attack. AP has had the team on his back since he came into the league. Can you just imagine what a team like the Patriots or Packers would have been like over the last decade with a back like AP?
As a Viks fan, if the ratings are properly overhauled, he should be a 91. He doesn't block all that well and not a good receiving RB. Higher overalls should mean the player is an all out threat in every aspect of his position.

# 84 KANE699 @ 07/22/16 10:12 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by gr18
I'm not really concerned about ratings because I'll change them as I see fit but am a little surprised that more people don't express the feeling of being deceived by the calculation of the overall rating being lower despite all attributes in general being higher.

I know the tuning of the game makes a difference but we are taught, to look at a players individual attributes not the overall yet are told how great it is that the overalls are a few points lower than before.I don't really see how that helps anything.
You're seeing the top guys, and yet you think nothing has been stretched out because your expecting low ratings for top tier players?

😦

# 85 charter04 @ 07/22/16 10:21 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by KANE699
You're seeing the top guys, and yet you think nothing has been stretched out because your expecting low ratings for top tier players?

[emoji46]

I think he's concerned that the only thing that seems changed is how the overall is calculated to get a lower number but, the individual ratings seem the same if not higher.

If that's true then what's the point of the so called stretched out ratings?

If a 86 overall this year would have been a 92 with the same ratings last year what has changed other than how the overall is calculated?

To be clear I like the new way it's being calculated. Seems to give a more clear number.

# 86 KANE699 @ 07/22/16 11:13 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by charter04
I think he's concerned that the only thing that seems changed is how the overall is calculated to get a lower number but, the individual ratings seem the same if not higher.

If that's true then what's the point of the so called stretched out ratings?

If a 86 overall this year would have been a 92 with the same ratings last year what has changed other than how the overall is calculated?

To be clear I like the new way it's being calculated. Seems to give a more clear number.
We have done both, more was done to the overall to give a better representation of what that player truly is and we have spread the ratings some as well, it's a two part system, we didn't drop everyone by 10-20 points or anything.

# 87 Ampking101 @ 07/22/16 11:19 PM
I'm actually really disappointed that Martin and Miller are above Gurley and Freeman. Gurley is obvious but I actually think for the time Freeman was healthy and played, the numbers he put up were ridiculous (he was beating AP early in the season in stats and it took some time for anyone to take second after AP surpassed him even when he was injured). So those two omitted from the list is very surprising to me.

Sent from my SM-G935T using Tapatalk

# 88 grodbetatted @ 07/22/16 11:47 PM
best running back is adrian peterson period... adrian peterson can carry a team le'veon bell can't

# 89 gr18 @ 07/23/16 12:37 AM
Quote:

😦
I said nothing about stretched out ratings or expecting lower ratings.Charter gets my point about the higher player attributes but lower overall.I don't know what's behind the calculation but I'm not naive enough to be excited about it either because I know not to only look at a players overall.Many do though and they'll be the ones to say how great it is that we don't have as many 90+.

I'm not saying the ratings are bad or haven't improved to a degree with being stretched out or that anyone isn't doing something right.Not many people will agree with all ratings or ways of doing things so at least it's at our discretion this year.

# 90 charter04 @ 07/23/16 12:42 AM
Quote:
We have done both, more was done to the overall to give a better representation of what that player truly is and we have spread the ratings some as well, it's a two part system, we didn't drop everyone by 10-20 points or anything.

Awesome. that's great to here. I overall like the way it's looking and hope we get some ratings guide or something at some point.

It's great to have you guys involved with the community on here and Twitter.

# 91 KANE699 @ 07/23/16 12:50 AM
I always love these conversations, people get all worked up over where players rank in ovr which isn't even a rating that does anything, we adjusted it to better represent what a player truly is, I don't see that being deceiving at all, if anything our old ovr formulas were what was deceiving.

# 92 SamDezzy43 @ 07/23/16 12:50 AM
Lamar Miller might have top 5 ability, but whether it is his talent or how the Dolphins (mis)used him(more probable), he hasn't been top 5.

He might end up that way after next season, but from the time being I think somebody who proved it on the field should be number 5, like our rival's back Devonta Freeman.

Gurley is going to be 1st or 2nd for the rest of his career, patience fellas. Besides, he will probably be top 5 3 roster updates in.

# 93 Ky3217 @ 07/23/16 01:07 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by waynefontes
I was at or watched on TV, every game that Barry played. Barry on turf was absolutely amazing with an uncanny ability to juke, start and stop and then accelerate past helpless defenders but Barry on grass was a totally different player. He didn't have that same electric ability to make them miss on grass, like he did on turf so I don't think he would have made as great as impact for GB like he did for Detroit.

Barry wasn't a one cut and run through the hole player, his game was dancing behind the LOS and looking for the home run play which often resulted in many negative yard carries. He also wasn't a good pass catcher or blocker which would also diminish his value in a West Coast offensive scheme. However, as a pure running back, he probably had no peer, maybe Gale Sayers but I never saw him play live.
Barry stats on grass compared to turf.

Grass
Games: 44
ATT: 849
Yards: 4,254
Yards per carry: 5.0
Avg yards per Game: 96.7
Long: 85
Td's: 24

Turf
Games:109
Att: 2,213
Yards: 11,015
Yards Per carry:5.0
avg yards per Game: 101.1
Long: 84
Td's: 75

I'm pretty sure he would have been just as great (If not better) had Green Bay drafted him.

Anyway, on topic, I do believe that Bell is the best back in the game when healthy and not suspended (Though I'm biased). There aren't many backs who have his combination of power and agility.

# 94 jfsolo @ 07/23/16 01:14 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by SamDezzy43
Lamar Miller might have top 5 ability, but whether it is his talent or how the Dolphins (mis)used him(more probable), he hasn't been top 5.

He might end up that way after next season, but from the time being I think somebody who proved it on the field should be number 5, like our rival's back Devonta Freeman.

Gurley is going to be 1st or 2nd for the rest of his career, patience fellas. Besides, he will probably be top 5 3 roster updates in.

I think Gurley's rating may end up going down after a few updates. Not because of his talent of course, but because his production may be low after facing 9 in box every play. The line and the receiving core of the Rams are both projected to be in the bottom two in the league. Throw in a rookie QB and that makes it very likely that yards are going to be tough to come by.

# 95 Ruben2424 @ 07/23/16 01:34 AM
Adrian Peterson is STILL the best running back in the league. Le'veon Bell is the next best thing and Todd Gurley is the future but AP is still the best.

# 96 Kwarren3 @ 07/23/16 02:16 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by roadman
For a short stint, you had HOF Favre at QB and one win from the SB.
And our offense was lights out that year because of having an elite QB to pair with AP. Can you imagine if Brett and the Packers had a back of his caliber throughout the Favre era... 3 rings minimum. 5 or 6 might have been doable.

# 97 Smallville102001 @ 07/23/16 02:40 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by JKSportsGamer1984
EA stays crapping on AP smh. He should be rated higher. He's still the most dominant RB in the game (as voted by the players). His overall should reflect that (and I know the overall isn't the end all be all) just sayin....

Him not being number 1 and not being at least a 90 is a flat out joke. Maybe when it is week 9 and he is leading the NFL in rushing he will be moved up. Not only is he the best in the NFL he is a top 10 all time RB.

# 98 The JareBear @ 07/23/16 02:54 AM
APs actual ratings, not the ovr but the individual ratings, seem pretty fantastic and I think better than what they were last year.

Same thing as with Gurley who we know has 92 speed and 92 speed to go along with whatever his power back ratings are.

The overall isn't gonna mean anything when you guys are beasting on people with Gurkey and AP week in and week out

Edit

I get caught up on ovr of my favorite players too, I totally get it.

# 99 jsteele14 @ 07/23/16 08:53 AM
The issue I have with the ratings is that simply lowering ratings across the board does not accomplish anything. Only the magnitude of rating differences matter. All players being a 99 rating would be the same as all being rated 50. The very top 1 or 2 RBs should be a 99 with some pretty quick drop off in the next tier and then a big drop off at the next tier. I feel EA just lowered ratings for everyone and feels they accomplished something.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

# 100 JKSportsGamer1984 @ 07/23/16 10:03 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruben2424
Adrian Peterson is STILL the best running back in the league. Le'veon Bell is the next best thing and Todd Gurley is the future but AP is still the best.
AP is the best pure RB in the game no doubt, but Le'veon is a little more versatile & may be a better all around RB (catching, blocking, etc..). I don't have a problem with Bell's rating, I just think AP's rating should be higher. They both should be rated a 94 overall in my opinion.

As far as Gurley is concerned, he has a lot more to prove before we start saying he's a top 3 back. The potential is definitely there, but talk to me after he's done it for a few years consistently. And I'm a huge Gurley fan btw. I knew he was going to be a beast watching him at Georgia. Too bad he plays for one of my teams rivals lol.

Post A Comment
Only OS members can post comments
Please login or register to post a comment.