Home
NHL 17 News Post

EA Sports has just released their NHL 17 franchise mode trailer, along with plenty of details in their latest blog. The team has re-branded Be A GM mode to Franchise Mode this year. Check them both out and post your thoughts!

Quote:
Fan-favorite Be a GM mode expands to complete control of an entire franchise with the addition of unique team owners. Control your favorite club as the team president and lead them to Stanley Cup glory by managing the team and the business behind the scenes. Make game changing decisions from player personnel, ticket prices, marketing, arena upgrades, and even relocation – all from under the watchful eye of a demanding owner with challenging goals.

Game: NHL 17Reader Score: 8/10 - Vote Now
Platform: PS4 / Xbox OneVotes for game: 5 - View All
NHL 17 Videos
Member Comments
# 61 half-fast @ 08/13/16 12:02 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by actionhank
Mine has always been defensive AI in general, which is kind of exacerbated by the lack of neutral zone pressure.

Since the AI can just skate in at will, it really highlights the AI's inability to pick up open players, or cover a play.

Too many times I get burned by two guys checking the same guy, defenders standing still and leaving backdoor plays open, and more importantly defenders chasing for physical checks as opposed to using their sticks once they're in close range.
I couldnt agree more. The thing is, the stuff you mentioned does happen IRL, the problem is, it happens too often in this game, and whats even more aggravating, is it happens to conveniently as well.

# 62 BurghFan @ 08/13/16 12:58 AM
I feel like I'm in the minority here when I say that I don't like that they keep adding all this things to make the franchise/BAGM more and more in depth without giving us the option to have a basic franchise. The only things I care about are playing the games, keeping track of stats, and developing players from a strictly on-ice standpoint. That is having older players retire at the end of the season and having to draft young guys and develop them in the AHL. As it is, I don't pay any attention to the GM Tracker in BAGM. In fact, the only times I've ever gone in there were either to see what exactly it was or by accident.

So basically I'm left with 2 options

1. Do a franchise that is way more in depth than anything I want and have to worry about being fired by he owner when all I want to do is play the games and have the ability to develop AHL players and eventually move them up to the NHL.

2. Do a basic season mode that just repeats the same season over and over again with no player progression/retirement and only using 1 league at a time (i.e. no bringing up young guys from the AHL.)

# 63 Vikes1 @ 08/13/16 12:16 PM
There's a lot to be said for, less is more. Especially if its done well.

# 64 CubFan23 @ 08/13/16 01:26 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by onlybygrace
An overlay that shows a player has 3 goals in 7 games since being traded and potentially cool in game stat stuff does nothing for you as an offline franchise guy? It's possible that there is a lot more of that stuff which would really bring the mode to life. Dynamic attendance would be cool if it was visually reflected in the stands in game.
This sort of thing should have been in years ago. Without decent game play the rest is garbage to me.

# 65 shanev @ 08/14/16 09:54 PM
It's all about the 100 point sliders. If they work, I'll be pretty happy.
I agree with others that I'd prefer to see hockey improvement like drafting, scouting, training camp, and development. But I like the extra stuff too.

Baby steps I guess

# 66 Splitter77 @ 08/15/16 10:24 AM
Im hoping we can finally view all boxscores for all games on the calendar in franchise mode. Not sure how this is not in the game yet.

# 67 AdamJones113 @ 08/16/16 05:33 AM
It's good to see some of the owner-GM combination worked on; how well it works and whether it will enhance the game remains to be seen. I have solid hope on both accounts.

Notwithstanding gameplay:
I hope, for next year, that the GM-coach combination gets some love. By that I mean more coach feedback on who he thinks is playing well, who he thinks you should draft (draft process should get a major overhaul, I believe I posited a system a while back for scouting but if not I'll do so again), and even maybe some possible trade targets. Agents negotiating in-season, which doesn't even have to mean actual contract negotiations; agents could send in how much their prospective free agent is interested in coming back, for how much, etc... All based on fluctuation player and team performance of course. Suggestions from the AHL coach on who to bring up. Maybe a prospect report once a month à la FIFA.

And all this customizable to a player's depth desires.

# 68 actionhank @ 08/16/16 11:47 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by AdamJones113
It's good to see some of the owner-GM combination worked on; how well it works and whether it will enhance the game remains to be seen. I have solid hope on both accounts.

Notwithstanding gameplay:
I hope, for next year, that the GM-coach combination gets some love. By that I mean more coach feedback on who he thinks is playing well, who he thinks you should draft (draft process should get a major overhaul, I believe I posited a system a while back for scouting but if not I'll do so again), and even maybe some possible trade targets. Agents negotiating in-season, which doesn't even have to mean actual contract negotiations; agents could send in how much their prospective free agent is interested in coming back, for how much, etc... All based on fluctuation player and team performance of course. Suggestions from the AHL coach on who to bring up. Maybe a prospect report once a month à la FIFA.

And all this customizable to a player's depth desires.
It would be great to be able to hire and fire coaches and scouts (but also delegate it if you don't care about them).

Just thinking in more recent years, the Blues goaltending saw a pretty nice bump in performance when they brought Jim Corsi in with the Miller trade. He stuck around, and I think he was a big part in helping to shape Allen's play.

Similarly, it would be great to hire and fire coaches (if you're a GM) and have them leave for other teams. Maybe you have to find a new powerplay coach after your assistant leaves, and this could hurt your powerplay numbers (poor coaches drag attributes down while on the powerplay, and good coaches provide a boost). I think it would be a lot of fun to manage your staff and almost have an RPG type level of interaction where you try to find the perfect parts for your organization.

Better Scouting Directors means fewer scouts get you better results. Better coaches provide better on ice play and positioning. Goalie coaches help your rookies to develop, and provide slight boosts to your goalies. Finding good training and fitness coaches will help get better results in your injured players, and help prevent future injury.

# 69 spoofrice11 @ 08/16/16 03:02 PM
Didn't read all of the posts, but can you import a logo on to a jersey like NBA 2K?
There weren't very many custom logos to choose from and with the talk of moving teams and stuff I thought there'd be a lot more.

Also, does anyone know if you can create and replace a team, or only move yours in the future if approved (that's how it sounds). There are some logos/colors of teams I think are ugly. So if I want to get rid of the Devils and/or another team or 2, I don't want to have to play a year or 2 with them 1st.

I want it to be like MyLeague in NBA 2K, where I can replace teams, customize what I want, and do what I want in my Offline League.

Thanx for any help!

# 70 actionhank @ 08/16/16 06:51 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by spoofrice11
Didn't read all of the posts, but can you import a logo on to a jersey like NBA 2K?
There weren't very many custom logos to choose from and with the talk of moving teams and stuff I thought there'd be a lot more.

Also, does anyone know if you can create and replace a team, or only move yours in the future if approved (that's how it sounds). There are some logos/colors of teams I think are ugly. So if I want to get rid of the Devils and/or another team or 2, I don't want to have to play a year or 2 with them 1st.

I want it to be like MyLeague in NBA 2K, where I can replace teams, customize what I want, and do what I want in my Offline League.

Thanx for any help!
In terms of customization, it doesn't look like you'll be able to import anything. As far as replacing teams, that's a question mark too.

# 71 T5063 @ 08/17/16 09:47 AM
I don't know why there's an argument about gameplay in a franchise mode thread... anyways, I like what I've seen so far, the stat banners, menus, relocation all look good. I'm glad GM firing is back and that you can put all the non-hockey related stuff on auto.

# 72 BigBadAss33 @ 08/17/16 10:52 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Money99
This. Oh Lord, this x 100000.

I would love to hear the explanation as to how a 25YO video game could have out of town highlights on a 16-bit system but the new hardware can't.

On a different note, I haven't played the GM mode on any NHL game for a long time.
I've heard that the scouting, drafting and general CPU AI is really poor in NHL 16.
Good prospects are UFA's after 2 seasons.
Scouting makes almost no difference in getting detailed information on a prospect.
And I read somewhere that certain regions will stop producing prospects after 3 or 4 seasons.

Can anyone provide more information on that?
Hopefully some of this stuff is fixed for '17.
I really like the additions to the Franchise Mode. It would be a shame of bugs prevented me from having a good time with it.
I disagree with you 100%. Dont believe everything you read. I only play OFFLINE BeaPro and GM. Both of these modes have their issues but overall the GM mode is GREAT. Your forgetting that this is a video game and not real life. There are bound to be issues. Im 10 years into my GM and have never once run into the issues you refer too. The only thing i noticed is the prospects total went down in most regions. With the correct sliders and playing the game correctly and not just trying to skate north to south. Use your team mates this game is phenomenal and i cant wait for NHL 17 changes

# 73 spoofrice11 @ 08/17/16 11:34 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by actionhank
In terms of customization, it doesn't look like you'll be able to import anything. As far as replacing teams, that's a question mark too.
Thanx for the response.

Anyone else know more about replacing teams in Franchise Mode?

# 74 G12 @ 09/05/16 03:41 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by spoofrice11
This Info actually makes me go from thinking of buying my first Hockey game in a few years to leaning towards not.

I want Freedom and Customization, but instead it's controlling everything. Hopefully Franchise mode is just one mode and there is another version that is GM mode. Or there are lots of options to turn off/on.
I don't want to worry about being fired if I am stuggling at first. I don't want to mess with concession prices. And it sounds like you can't create and replace a team, but can only move in the future if approved.

You can turn on auto assign for concessions and stuff.

# 75 Northernwolf @ 09/12/16 02:42 AM
I found a lot of info on franchise through this youtuber:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uuLKyN6SEJo

Most important stuff for me:

- You can substitute teams from the start of your franchise!
- You can turn off owner mode, or just play with some of the options on.
- Turn on or off morale

# 76 actionhank @ 09/12/16 09:30 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Northernwolf
I found a lot of info on franchise through this youtuber:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uuLKyN6SEJo

Most important stuff for me:

- You can substitute teams from the start of your franchise!
- You can turn off owner mode, or just play with some of the options on.
- Turn on or off morale
I'm really hoping someone checks on moving teams and if it changes their conference when you relocate. I asked EA, but got crickets from them, which makes me think that they didn't really plan our team relocation, and you'll just be stuck in the same conference with your new team. So if I move Carolina to Seattle, I'm going to play in the East despite being on the opposite side of the map. I hope I'm wrong.

# 77 il_tedesco @ 09/12/16 09:42 AM
"I'm really hoping someone checks on moving teams and if it changes their conference when you relocate"

You can only move west teams to west cities and vice versa. So there is no need for adjusting conferences. IE Phoenix cant move to Quebec and Carolina cant relocate to Seattle... Some Cities in the middle of the US are open for both.

# 78 NinthFall @ 09/12/16 09:45 AM
What bothers me is the potential system.

You can have a player score 50 goals a season after another, but he can be stuck at 83 overall, because of his potential. If a player doesn't develop based on performance, then it's just pointless.

That was my main issue in NHL 16 and I'm wondering if they still have the same issue in NHL 17.

Also in NHL 16 the face off rating for every player was stuck, it never developed. I wonder if that's still the case.

Post A Comment
Only OS members can post comments
Please login or register to post a comment.