Home
NBA 2K17 News Post

2K Sports just posted a brand new NBA 2K17 trailer celebrating the Dream Team complete with current and legacy players. The trailer is 1:36 and is set to the "Star Spangled Banner" -- and might we say quite timely with the Olympics ongoing.

Quote:
As previously announced, both teams will be featured in the next iteration of the top-rated and top-selling NBA video game simulation series*, in addition to renowned Duke University and USA Basketball coach, Mike Krzyzewski, who is making his debut in the NBA 2K series. Fans who pre-order NBA 2K17 will receive the legendary 1992 USA Basketball “Dream Team”, along with a special USA Basketball MyTEAM card and MyPLAYER jersey to fully customize their USA Basketball experience.

Comprised of NBA Hall of Famers, including Michael Jordan, Larry Bird, Magic Johnson, Clyde Drexler, Karl Malone and David Robinson, the 1992 “Dream Team” is universally considered one of, if not the greatest, team ever assembled in basketball history. The 2016 USA Basketball team includes NBA 2K17 cover athlete Paul George and Team 2K athletes Kevin Durant, Draymond Green, Jimmy Butler, and Kyrie Irving.

Give it a watch and let us know what you think!

Game: NBA 2K17Reader Score: 7/10 - Vote Now
Platform: PC / PS3 / PS4 / Xbox 360 / Xbox OneVotes for game: 14 - View All
Member Comments
# 101 iLLWiLL @ 08/10/16 02:37 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by 23
Or you're okay with this

oh man when did MJ become an MMA fighter? What's with the cauliflower ears?

all jokes aside, being a Bulls fan this killed the immersion for me that I don't bother playing with classic teams. I just stick to current teams when playing 2K.

# 102 ruLEX$$ @ 08/10/16 02:50 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by DIRK41NOWITZKI
Everybody complaining about Durant's arms on twitter. I really hope they don't change them.
KD arm size/width is fine but all of the player models are missing/lacking muscle definition.

# 103 ruLEX$$ @ 08/10/16 02:53 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by trekfan
Yeah, saw that in the YouTube comments section, too. Hopefully 2K doesn't mess with that, they nailed his upper-body this year and with the increased attention KD will be getting now that he's on the Warriors, he's going to be a marquee player they really need to nail.

I feel like the YouTube and Twitter folks don't actually look at the players, just their stats ... which is depressing. Players are people, too.
KD has always been a marquee player smh he was the cover athlete 2 Yeats ago... All that's missing is muscle definition for all players

# 104 JJRuelz @ 08/10/16 02:53 PM
Can somebody tell me why we're all so focused on the little things? This is a legitimate question, and I'm not trying to sound like an *** hole, but everybody's saying stuff like:
- The crowd isn't realistic
- The jerseys aren't the right shade of white
- they're necks aren't quite long enough

Why aren't we focusing on the content or the new gamemodes? *I know 2k hasn't made it easy because they really haven't told us anything* but it seems like people are more invested in the little things we won't even notice while playing, instead of the content that will keep people playing for another few months people choose to focus on what's more pleasing to the eye when they are look at replays or whatever.

Anyway, that trailer was pretty underwhelming.

# 105 strawberryshortcake @ 08/10/16 02:55 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by JJRuelz
Can somebody tell me why we're all so focused on the little things? This is a legitimate question, and I'm not trying to sound like an *** hole, but everybody's saying stuff like:

Why aren't we focusing on the content or the new gamemodes?
Spoiler

Probably because this particular trailer only gives insight on graphics and doesn't give anyone insight on gameplay or modes.

# 106 ruLEX$$ @ 08/10/16 02:57 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by JKSportsGamer1984
Dope trailer. Body types look a little better but some players need to have more muscle definition (Pippen, Jordan, etc...)
I agree 100%

# 107 23 @ 08/10/16 02:57 PM
Quote:

Why aren't we focusing on the content or the new gamemodes? *I know 2k hasn't made it easy because they really haven't told us anything* but it seems like people are more invested in the little things we won't even notice while playing, instead of the content that will keep people playing for another few months people choose to focus on what's more pleasing to the eye when they are look at replays or whatever.

Using this logic... we should go into a My Team thread asking about the cover boy.

What is the trailer about?

It's what we've been shown. That's all we can talk about.

You nor I know nothing about gameplay, and even if we did this isn't the thread for that.

# 108 sva91 @ 08/10/16 02:58 PM
Quote:

Because we can see the imperfections in aesthetics in these videos. Nothing is mentioned about game modes, we have no idea what they're working on in that department. These art designers has so much going on, they sometimes will miss a detail in uniforms or court design etc. We are a resource for them to help fix these non coding issues. Inaccurate uniforms and colors drive me crazy because it ruins the immersion. Also, it's a much quicker fix than gameplay issues. If you don't care about the artistic stuff, you should prob comment on gameplay threads.

# 109 JJRuelz @ 08/10/16 02:58 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by strawberryshortcake
Probably because this particular trailer only gives insight on graphics and doesn't give anyone insight on gameplay or modes.
Yeah but generally not just in this trailer.

# 110 Vni @ 08/10/16 02:58 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Goffs
Sooooo what can they max out? The ones I'm thinking aren't graphically heavy.

Towels on the sidelines
Player warm-ups
Actual hair (might be heavy)

Only thing I can think of is a resolution bump to 4k.

Sent from my SM-G930T using Tapatalk
You don't expect the X1 and PS4 to run 4K 60fps games right ? Theses consoles aren't like the previous generation where it took time for developpers to get the max out of em, they are litteraly like mini PC's. They are already completely outdated and maxed out. It will all be about details.

# 111 scottyp180 @ 08/10/16 03:05 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by 23
How is this for emotion

Or you're okay with this

Lmao. But see I don't recall goofy faces like that last gen. I think some where in the gen switch there was a change to the facial expression/animation engine that has caused problems for legends and nonscanned faces.

But I've been around this site long enough to know that I'm a lot less critical than some of you guys on this site. For me, once I'm playing from a gameplay camera, I won't notice a lot of the inaccuracies in the details.

I do applaud you guys though. You are the ones that are pushing 2k and other developers to continue to pursue perfection. You guys will notice and pick up on anything that looks off while I'm more easily satisfied.

# 112 tmac747 @ 08/10/16 03:06 PM
Olympics just got going in Rio...therefore you get the USA national anthem and the USA Olympic teams. All about USA...USA...USA

# 113 23 @ 08/10/16 03:10 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by scottyp180
Lmao. But see I don't recall goofy faces like that last gen. I think some where in the gen switch there was a change to the facial expression/animation engine that has caused problems for legends and nonscanned faces.

But I've been around this site long enough to know that I'm a lot less critical than some of you guys on this site. For me, once I'm playing from a gameplay camera, I won't notice a lot of the inaccuracies in the details.

I do applaud you guys though. You are the ones that are pushing 2k and other developers to continue to pursue perfection. You guys will notice and pick up on anything that looks off while I'm more easily satisfied.

So we're being critical because MJ looks like a bad rendition of Jared Laredo's joker?

Or how they put MJ in the game and he had a black tongue?

Or how guys look like they're lugging up the court because the uniforms are too big?

It's like blatant things, we're not saying fingernails suck or whatever.

They are more than capable. Maybe those pics were just mock ups. Maybe they were early builds...but c'mon man

Ronnie 2k telling up they maxed out the graphics... because what? They gave Durant a neck this year?

# 114 scottyp180 @ 08/10/16 03:16 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by strawberryshortcake
You don't need to distort a person's expression-less facial features to have accurate expressions. It doesn't really work that way. Someone creates the model and either the same person or another person will rig that model. Rigging allows the model's body part to move. You don't need to alter the model's initial facial features for rigging facial expressions.

Just look at Draymond Greens and Paul George's face and their respective emotions. Green and George still looks like Green and George. NBA2k17 Michael Jordan on the other hand doesn't exactly look like Michael Jordan.

In addition, getting a person's head and facial features proper pretty much all that is required is a side and front view and a professional 3D modeler should be able to create a properly proportioned face.

Random face rig videos from youtube.

But my thinking is that there is some kind of issue between the players that are face scanned (modern players) and the players that aren't (mostly legends). The scanned players typically look great whether emoting or not. The legends tend to look awkward especially when emoting or showing facial movements.

I have no idea what type of technology 2k uses for the faces or how art is done for their faces but it's clear that there is something off when it comes to the legends (though there are some that look pretty accurate). Seeing as how the legends, particularly Jordan, looked better last gen I feel like there is some type of issue in translating these faces with the new tech.

# 115 scottyp180 @ 08/10/16 03:26 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by 23
So we're being critical because MJ looks like a bad rendition of Jared Laredo's joker?

Or how they put MJ in the game and he had a black tongue?

Or how guys look like they're lugging up the court because the uniforms are too big?

It's like blatant things, we're not saying fingernails suck or whatever.

They are more than capable. Maybe those pics were just mock ups. Maybe they were early builds...but c'mon man

Ronnie 2k telling up they maxed out the graphics... because what? They gave Durant a neck this year?
Dude are you even reading my whole post or just stopping when you see something you want to comment on?

The definition of critical: expressing or involving an analysis of the merits and faults of a work of literature, music, or art.

So yes some of you are more critical than some like me. I'm not saying that it's and issue or that it's a negative quality (if you read my whole post you would see I compliment people like you) just stating a fact. Some of you pick up on things like jersey collars and shoulders being off, shoes being inaccurate, a player's legs not being right, etc. Things like this go by me. Maybe I'm not as observant, maybe I just don't care enough (Truthfully a combo of both) but we just share different views on this stuff.

# 116 23 @ 08/10/16 03:29 PM
Quote:
Dude are you even reading my whole post or just stopping when you see something you want to comment on?

The definition of critical: expressing or involving an analysis of the merits and faults of a work of literature, music, or art.

So yes some of you are more critical than some like me. I'm not saying that it's and issue or that it's a negative quality (if you read my whole post you would see I compliment people like you) just stating a fact. Some of you pick up on things like jersey collars and shoulders being off, shoes being inaccurate, a player's legs not being right, etc. Things like this go by me. Maybe I'm not as observant, maybe I just don't care enough (Truthfully a combo of both) but we just share different views on this stuff.

Yes I read it and I understand.

I just don't feel pointing out something obviously off is being critical, although you're right many people here are way critical of stuff.

Like... when the real complaints start rolling in, most of us you see now aren't involved in that. There is usually an influx of new posters and onliners who have all the complaints in the world.

This is just something we've talked about for a couple of years but the more the game improves the more it sticks out.

# 117 JODYE @ 08/10/16 03:39 PM
*Yawn*

# 118 ChrisBurnette68 @ 08/10/16 03:41 PM
After the wait we've had in just thankful we got something! This looks great. You can tell they are still pushing the envelope graphically when they really don't need to. No sports game looks better. Great job 2k, I'm just hoping they've made the necessary tweaks to gameplay, customization, etc. but either way I'm buying. Only 37 days!

# 119 MBhoops @ 08/10/16 03:47 PM
I have two complaints.

1. Jerseys are terrible. Too thick. Bulky. Look stuck on.

2. Not american enough.

# 120 strawberryshortcake @ 08/10/16 03:48 PM
Quote:
But my thinking is that there is some kind of issue between the players that are face scanned (modern players) and the players that aren't (mostly legends). The scanned players typically look great whether emoting or not. The legends tend to look awkward especially when emoting or showing facial movements.

I have no idea what type of technology 2k uses for the faces or how art is done for their faces but it's clear that there is something off when it comes to the legends (though there are some that look pretty accurate). Seeing as how the legends, particularly Jordan, looked better last gen I feel like there is some type of issue in translating these faces with the new tech.
It doesn't matter if the person is scanned or a 3D artist sits down to model a players face using a front and side view. In order to animate the character, the artist or computer program still needs to retopology or create a topology (or proper mesh/grid) for the model so that the model can be rigged for animation. The end result is to create "facial bone movers (armatures)" so that the animator can do his/her work. And this definitely does not require changes to the 3D model.

It honestly comes down to the graphic modeler on 2k's team when we're talking about legends and players they haven't scanned. It boils down to the talents execution. You don't need to fiddle with someone's face to make the animations work.

Did you watch the video in the above link. You don't need to deform someones natural emotionless face to get them to properly animate. The 3D modeler doesn't model a character around how the rigger/animator chooses to animate the character. The rigger/animator needs to work with the presented character model.

Plus, Clyde Drexler looks more like Clyde Drexler than Jordan does Jordan. Ask yourself this question, why do some legends resemble themselves more than others. If it's a matter of rigging their face for animation, then ALL legends should look like Jordan with big ears and completely off. It comes down to the talent of the 3D modeler and how he/she models the legends.

Post A Comment
Only OS members can post comments
Please login or register to post a comment.