Home
NHL 17 News Post

For the first time in EA Sports NHL history, play for national pride in a full International Tournament Mode. Featuring all of the official World Cup of Hockey teams, players and uniforms, take to the ice on a world stage as your national team and heroes. Watch the trailer here, along with some more details in their latest blog.

Quote:
Enter The World Cup of Hockey mode from the NHL 17 main menu. From there select how many national teams you want to control and jump into the offline tournament to experience more end-to-end control with Authentic Goaltending, all-new Net Battles for offensive and defensive zone play, and over 50 thrilling new goal celebrations that capture the excitement of scoring the biggest goals on game night.

From the press release...

Quote:
The World Cup of Hockey is one of three all-new playable modes in NHL 17, delivering brand new ways to live out your hockey fantasy in the most exciting EA SPORTS NHL® to date. Featuring all eight World Cup of Hockey teams with authentic player rosters and jerseys, fans can lace up as their national hockey heroes and compete in the best-on-best international tournament.

Game: NHL 17Reader Score: 8/10 - Vote Now
Platform: PS4 / Xbox OneVotes for game: 5 - View All
NHL 17 Videos
Member Comments
# 1 wenkaz @ 08/16/16 01:13 PM
Really annoying that this won't be integrated into the Franchise and Be A Pro modes... It would increase the immersion a lot to be able to represent your country as either a coach or a player. A missed opportunity that now results in everyone only playing the World Cup once and then continue our Franchise/be a pro modes as usual

# 2 IAmNotPrimetime @ 08/16/16 01:28 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by wenkaz
Really annoying that this won't be integrated into the Franchise and Be A Pro modes... It would increase the immersion a lot to be able to represent your country as either a coach or a player. A missed opportunity that now results in everyone only playing the World Cup once and then continue our Franchise/be a pro modes as usual
I completely agree here. The biggest example is obviously FIFA, where as a player or franchise, you can go out and play for your country.
Even 2K is jumping on this bandwagon, and if NHL is also now integrating a country vs. country feature (in this case, through the World Cup of Hockey), the gold standard is to have it integrated into other features.

# 3 billman29 @ 08/16/16 01:40 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve_OS
For the first time in EA Sports NHL history, play for national pride in a full International Tournament Mode.
Not to ~nitpick~, but this isn't entirely accurate.

NHL 2005, which came out 12 years ago, also had a World Cup of Hockey mode.

# 4 ozcore @ 08/16/16 01:43 PM
thats what EA always does. bring back old features or modes and saying they are new.

# 5 GetThePuckOut @ 08/16/16 01:55 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by billman29

THIS!!!!!!!!!!

# 6 actionhank @ 08/16/16 02:04 PM
Quote:

That is one of the things they do that drives me the most insane. Just say improved, or revamped.

It's like boardplay and the net-front battles. You don't have to convince me it's a brand new idea. Plenty of things have been done before.

I guess at the end of the day, it's just splitting hairs, but it does drive me a bit crazy.

# 7 Honome @ 08/16/16 02:37 PM
Quote:

Lol, i bet the actual developers didn't even know about that!!

# 8 Moose Factory @ 08/16/16 05:00 PM
Well that was underwhelming. Ya know sometimes I wish this development team would just take a year off to revamp and reflect about what they could really do that's innovative... oh wait. They did that didn't they?

It's frustrating to see them focus on stuff like this and not other glaring issues. Like head scanning more of the league! Almost every response from these guys is "yeah, we looked into that but it would require resources that we don't have..." How about getting more "resources" ? Trust me there are hungry developers looking for work.

# 9 TDKing @ 08/16/16 05:14 PM
So is this an offline mode only? Would be nice to have online tournaments with friends but i guess thats to much to ask for from this small dev team.

Sent from my VS985 4G using Tapatalk

# 10 actionhank @ 08/16/16 06:41 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moose Factory
"yeah, we looked into that but it would require resources that we don't have..." How about getting more "resources" ? Trust me there are hungry developers looking for work.
In regards to that specific part, I assume that's purely a money issue.

EA likely isn't giving the NHL team a ton of funding, so I bet a lot of what they do is work with what they have and can improvise.

That said, it would be nice if they just gave us a way to create and share our own rosters, with some sort of improved tool for creating faces and player features, similar to The Show.

# 11 intrepid @ 08/16/16 08:52 PM
Quote:

Did you want them to keep it in the game for 12 years when the real NHL hasn't staged the tournament at all since then until now? At least we had international teams we could play a somewhat real tournament with (although we couldn't do it in 15/16 for current gen). I've never been a huge EA fan, but to say this is one of those cases where they are adding a feature they already had and are calling it new doesn't seem entirely correct.

# 12 BlacknBlue @ 08/16/16 10:47 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by intrepid
Did you want them to keep it in the game for 12 years when the real NHL hasn't staged the tournament at all since then until now? At least we had international teams we could play a somewhat real tournament with (although we couldn't do it in 15/16 for current gen). I've never been a huge EA fan, but to say this is one of those cases where they are adding a feature they already had and are calling it new doesn't seem entirely correct.
Except that is exactly what they are doing. The same exact feature was in the game already and now they are bringing it back, but are saying "for the first time ever" this feature is in an EA hockey game. Which is wrong. So either they don't know their own history, or they are flat out lying to their consumers; again.

# 13 Caniac94 @ 08/16/16 11:13 PM
Quote:

Ha! Now that was when EA was making great hockey games that I often looked forward to.

# 14 jake19ny @ 08/16/16 11:40 PM
Not for nothing but these trailers do very little for me. It's not gameplay I'm seeing it's just cut scenes and hype. I'm not crapping on the game at all and I understand they market video games like movies these days but not sure I get it. I'm a huge fan of the Uncharted series but the trailer for the game was all cut scene movie like clips that, while in the game and entertaining, have little to do with the playing experience. Despite all EAs impressive looking trailer I still have no idea what gameplay looks like. I'm still interested in NHL17 but not because of a single trailer I've seen but because of the increased sliders and 0-100 sliders. I know us NHL guys can be greedy with our wants but I narrowed my wants to 3 things....
Roster share
Better Neutral Zone AI
More slider control (that works)
Looks like this year I'm only getting one (remains to be seen if they work)
No cut scene flashy trailer can give me any insight to wether or not they have this right.

# 15 Södy @ 08/17/16 02:12 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Caniac94
Ha! Now that was when EA was making great hockey games that I often looked forward to.
NHL 2005 definetly was the worst game (especially after the stellar 2004).

# 16 bmantz65 @ 08/17/16 03:54 AM
It grates me that they threw in the whole "50 new goal celebrations" spiel for this mode. Is that necessary? Would someone be on the fence about this mode and read that and think, "oh cool, I have to play it now"? I'd rather it integrated with BAP or Franchise than it displaying unrealistic new goal celebrations.

# 17 BSDShoes @ 08/17/16 04:32 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve_OS
For the first time in EA Sports NHL history
Uh... facepalm.

Post A Comment
Only OS members can post comments
Please login or register to post a comment.