Home
Madden NFL 17 News Post

The trial version of Madden NFL 17 is available now for EA Access subscribers.

NOTE: It appears as though it isn't showing up for everyone in the EA Access hub. If you don’t see Madden NFL 17 in the hub, try searching for it in the Store, then download the trial or try a few tips from OS readers in this thread.

UPDATE: (8-18) It looks like users that pre-ordered and pre-downloaded are having issues accessing it. Hopefully EA and Microsoft can get that fixed sometime today.

REMINDER: You get 10 hours of gameplay, so make sure you exit out of the game if you are not playing. Don't pause and lose those precious minutes.

For those of you that can download it, play a few games and let us know what you think!

Game: Madden NFL 17Reader Score: 8/10 - Vote Now
Platform: PS3 / PS4 / Xbox 360 / Xbox OneVotes for game: 17 - View All
Member Comments
# 41 DirtyMagic5 @ 08/18/16 06:38 AM
In the same boat ... Crazy

# 42 Hunkerdown @ 08/18/16 08:13 AM
worked for me fine

Sent from my SM-N920P using Tapatalk

# 43 scottyp180 @ 08/18/16 09:09 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by jfsolo
After a little while with the training videos jumped right into a 15 minute quarter, 13 second rundown accelerated clock full game Rams vs Titans.

I won 38-17, and really enjoyed most of the aspects of the game. I'll start off with what could be problem areas.

As seen in some of the GC videos, the CPU QB doesn't move around in the pocket to escape pressure on a few too many plays. I got two short fields inside the 20 because Mariota just stood there and let himself get sacked and fumbled. He didn't try and Scramble once.

CPU offensive play calling. It's a lot better than it has been, but they still call a few too many 4 verts, that combined with the statue QB's is a issue.

CPU defensive play calling. They like to call too many, what seems like Cover 0 plays, in the wrong spot. These long scores came on plays where they were way too aggressive at the wrong time, IMO.

Not liking how the CPU receiver fall out of bounds on passes on the flat way too often.

Hope I can turn off the Red and Green in the box squares that tell you where or if you should run. I turned off all the other visual aids, but could see how to turn that off.

There were other issues of course, but they seem like they can be handled with sliders.

Some things I liked:

Dorial Green-Beckham, The Titans are gong to miss him in my CFM, lol. He had 11 catches for 141. The CPU has never that many receptions to an outside WR to against me in Madden. The catches were nice plays, it wasn't where my D was just clueless.

Rams front 4 made it tough on Murray, but he still had some nice 5-7 yard power runs that the CPU never use to get on default.

Forgot to call any FB dives, but no other runs seem OP.

When he didn't hold the ball too long or call 4 verts, Mariota made good decisions with the ball.

Me and the CPU both had backspin punts land inside the 5.

"Hope I can turn off the Red and Green in the box squares that tell you where or if you should run. I turned off all the other visual aids, but could see how to turn that off. "

I couldn't find this setting either but I also gave up looking after a couple minutes because I didn't want to waste my trial time.

On a settings note I like some of the additional options we have this years. I'm not much of a sliders guy some I'm not sure exactly what's new but it looks like there are more options than last year (was game speed changeable last year?). I like that there is a brightness and contrast setting. I put the brightness down a level and thought it looked a little better.

Random notes from my playthrough. Played 1 1/2 games as Pats vs Steelers, not going to include the intro game (which I really enjoyed despite the two teams fearured.

-BLOCKED A PAT AND RAN IT BACK FOR 2! I don't think I've ever blocked a field goal in my Madden career. Can't say I did anything special. Chose one of the new fg block options, timed the snap right (which guarantees nothing) and got through for the block with sheard.

-speaking of FGs, I'm liking the new kicking mechanic. Difficult at first, not sure how to correctly perform onside kicks, but it just feels more intuitive.

-Ball physics, subtle but noticeable. You might notice it on some catches and drops. Again subtle but just enough difference to make it look more realistic. I almost feel like the ball is a little smaller. Maybe it was Brady's accuracy but I hit receivers through some small windows and there was a sense of satisfaction when the ball was caught. Ball physics are most noticeable on punts. Had a punt land between the 10 and goal line, bounced and died at the 1. Any other year is would have hit the ground and flew out of the endzone. A little change that goes a long way to improving the game.

-saw some nice catching animations. Amendola had a nice grab along the sidelines where he leaped to grab the ball and looked like he landed on his side (hip, thigh, knee first) to stay in bounce

-feel is definitely noticeable. In fact the first play of the intro game was a run with Gurley and immediate I was like "woah. That felt more realistic." Ad other have stated just more weighty. It's like the players have a bounce and balance to them. I liked the juke moves and spins. Just seemed a bit more realistic and not arcadey, especially the spin.

-tackling, whether being tackled or performing tackles, feels a little better. There are still some canned looking tackles but a lot of wrap tackles feel like they are just set animations and they can result in the tackle being executed or the runner breaking free. Part of it is do to the new break tackle Mechanic (forget the actual name but an icon will appear during certain tackles that dictates the play). Note that just because the runner wins this tackle battle doesn't mean he is automatically breaking free. If there is a gang tackle taking place chances are he is still going down oppose to performing a Marshawn lynch, beast mode type run.

-punt and kick returns feel better. I didn't run and back and didn't have any big runs but I felt like my runner had a little bit more freedom. I could typically beat the first tackler in 1 on 1 situations.

-penalties were called at a decent rate. Saw a few during my gameplay. Hard to tell how much variance from last year though

-defensive backs. I thought they were a little more responsive when defending the pass. If you are in good position and time the pass defend right the defensive back should challenge the ball. There was 1 instances in specific where I felt my corner back or safety ignored my prompt to challenge the ball but it could have been a timing error on my part.

That's all I can think of at the moment.

# 44 Balllikedrose1 @ 08/18/16 10:51 AM
Still no trial for me wtf ea

# 45 spoofrice11 @ 08/18/16 11:45 AM
Got mine downloaded; took 8 hours (is that normal?).

A few of things thoughts/questions...

- I started a Franchise (that's pretty much all I play on sports game). But only I was only able to control 1 team, how do you control more than 1? Also, are there no options? (Settings were very limited.) Can we not re-arrange Fantasy Draft order, Force trades (couldn't trade 2 better players and a pick for a lower rated player rated in the 80s), what about relocating teams? I guess I am used to NBA 2K and haven't played Madden in a few years but was considering getting this year's game.

- Saving... How can you save when you want? Sometimes I like to sim to the future just to see how things might go and then quit without saving (because I play my games). But it seems to auto save, and don't see how you could even make a duplicate save of your Franchise.

- Disappointed that there was no Create a team (replace a team)? Think it will be in there next year, more like MyLeague in NBA 2K?

- Had Mariota at QB, I could take off early and run for yards, but if there was pressure it was like I was like he was P Manning with no chance to get away.

- I didn't feel like I had much control on defense and ended up simulating the possessions in the 2nd half of my game.

- Anyone else find it annoying to hold down A to skip cutscenes, instead of it skipping quickly? I don't ever watch that stuff, I want to play the when I'm playing and not waste time.

# 46 TexInOrd @ 08/18/16 12:00 PM
Does qb sac, mac, and dac make a huge difference this year?

Is it possible to take a guy like Cardale Jones or Hackenberg and put up 350 yds, 3 tds and 0 ints a game like last year?

Is the confidence mechanic still in, and if it is in, is it as dramatic as last year?

Sorry if this has already been asked and answered. I have limited time to peruse the forums with a 6 month old and home.

Cheers

# 47 XxSpiritHunterX @ 08/18/16 01:35 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by cdub71323
For those that have it downloaded, could you upload a video scrolling through the free agents at each position? I'm a nerd and want to see all my options for my CFM.

Thanks in advance

Also sorry for repeating this request, just want my day at work tomorrow to be enjoyable lol
Would've uploaded this earlier, but I had troubles with downloading the game last night. Anyway, for you and anyone else wondering about free agency, here it is.

https://youtu.be/uMgReuTroGk

# 48 phantomremix @ 08/18/16 02:01 PM
I thought that CPU vs CPU was an option for franchise this year. I cannot just watch the games? I know i can do coach mode, but i read that AI vs AI was in franchise this year... Anyone know if i am missing something?

# 49 GisherJohn24 @ 08/18/16 02:26 PM
Really like what I see. The animations after broken up passes are incredible to watch and the collision detection, while not perfect is finally coming to form. Replays are truly worth watching again. I now have no doubts. Pre-ordered with no worries.

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk

# 50 Airdrop01 @ 08/18/16 06:32 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lilmintz
Can someone please help me!!!! I downloaded the game and i have ea access but it keeps saying "youre too early"
Same here. 1732 hrs CDT.

# 51 bigmixx @ 08/18/16 06:35 PM
I've now finished 2 games playing with the Falcons and the game feels a little different than 16 but not drastic. Played against Cam Newton and he never attempted to scramble. No designed runs called. I think someone else mentioned that the COU QB's are statues in the pocket. I like the feel of the running game more than I did in 16. Cutback lanes develop on the zone reads more realistically.

Pass defense is definitely improved in the secondary but LB's are still a liability on crossing patterns and underneath stuff. They just don't play the pass well IMO but my sample size is small.

Still feels like Madden with a few improvements. Not super excited about it but like most I'll still probably buy it at some point. I'll use up this trial and try to get in as many games as I can and see if my feelings change.

# 52 Gerg04 @ 08/18/16 06:41 PM
I'll never understand why EA feels the need to make this game so fast by default...

Sent from my Nexus 5X using Tapatalk

# 53 Skyhook71 @ 08/18/16 07:48 PM
Does anybody know that if I decide to out right purchase the full game through EA Access. Will I still have to wait until the release date to keep playing Madden? Or am I going be able to keep playing after my 10 hour trial is done?

Thanks.

# 54 Gerg04 @ 08/18/16 08:01 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Skyhook71
Does anybody know that if I decide to out right purchase the full game through EA Access. Will I still have to wait until the release date to keep playing Madden? Or am I going be able to keep playing after my 10 hour trial is done?

Thanks.
You'll have to wait. You won't have to download it again tho.

# 55 vtcrb @ 08/18/16 08:29 PM
How does the 10 hour time period work. 10 hours from time of download or 10 hours of actually gameplay or edits? Also is there a countdown clock so e where to see how much time remaining. Thanks in advance this is first time I have done the fre trial.

# 56 phantomremix @ 08/18/16 08:39 PM
figured out CPU vs CPU - you go to super sim and set the speed of super sim to slow. it changes to a broadcast view of the game and you can watch the whole thing! awesome!!!

# 57 grgmths1433 @ 08/18/16 08:50 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by vtcrb
How does the 10 hour time period work. 10 hours from time of download or 10 hours of actually gameplay or edits? Also is there a countdown clock so e where to see how much time remaining. Thanks in advance this is first time I have done the fre trial.
As you you hit Madden you will see the hours you have left. Don't know about your other question. I think i heard someone say 1 hour equals 3 games. Don't know if that's true tho.

# 58 kehlis @ 08/18/16 09:01 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by vtcrb
It's time spent in game so make sure to close the application when done.

I'm not sure where the one hour equals three games comes from but that is definitely not a true blanket statement.

# 59 hofields @ 08/18/16 09:47 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gerg04
You'll have to wait. You won't have to download it again tho.

Are you sure? I know that was the case before but the wording on the new welcome prompt has me wondering if they've made a change it presents two options:

Play Trial
Or
Upgrade to full version

🤔🤔🤔🤔

# 60 Gerg04 @ 08/19/16 08:31 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by hofields
Are you sure? I know that was the case before but the wording on the new welcome prompt has me wondering if they've made a change it presents two options:

Play Trial
Or
Upgrade to full version

🤔🤔🤔🤔
Not 100% sure. They probably have that worded that way because the trial can be played/downloaded after the game releases.

Post A Comment
Only OS members can post comments
Please login or register to post a comment.