Home
NBA 2K17 News Post

Polygon has posted their NBA 2K17 hands-on impressions. Samit Sarkar goes over quite a few things, including freelance offenses for every team, better help defense, timed layups, 2K U with Coach K and much more.

Quote:
"If I can expect you to make a move and show the ball unprotected, I can time my button press" and knock the ball away, said Jones, who did this exact thing to me when we played each other. This applies to passes, too. Jones acknowledged that throwing the ball willy-nilly into the key was almost a "money" play last year. In about half an hour playing NBA 2K17, I saw multiple passes to the paint get deflected and even picked off. The ball just felt more live, whether on passes, steals or rebounds.

Game: NBA 2K17Reader Score: 7/10 - Vote Now
Platform: PC / PS3 / PS4 / Xbox 360 / Xbox OneVotes for game: 14 - View All
Member Comments
# 21 Rockie_Fresh88 @ 08/22/16 02:28 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hustle Westbrook
This is music to my freaking ears. Thank you 2K!
Our threads/posts paid off Bruh ! Lol

# 22 DC @ 08/22/16 02:28 PM
Quote:
. In about half an hour playing NBA 2K17, I saw multiple passes to the paint get deflected and even picked off. The ball just felt more live, whether on passes, steals or rebounds.
I can see the tears now. "Too many deflections." 2K, hold your ground. Don't dumb the game down for Little Timmy and his Sandbox Crew.

# 23 ViolenceFight @ 08/22/16 02:28 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hustle Westbrook
This is music to my freaking ears. Thank you 2K!
This x1,000.

Hopefully I can punish kids who do the same predictable dribble sequence with timing now. This sounds like it specifically caters to my brand of defense.

Actually everything sounds too good to be true...so it'll probably be amazing the first month, and get nerfed to hell

# 24 eko718 @ 08/22/16 02:44 PM
Sounds interesting... I look forward to more specifics. Hopefully we get some more Dev Blogs soon.

# 25 Hustle Westbrook @ 08/22/16 02:45 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rockie_Fresh88
Our threads/posts paid off Bruh ! Lol
I know man haha. I must have made about a million gifs this year.

# 26 Vni @ 08/22/16 02:46 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by The 24th Letter
I mostly agree with you...

Hopefully the focus on control was maintained when developing these things...
Can't wait for the day when you will be able to break someone's uncle (funny typo I leave it) without turbo, when you will be able to turn the corner without turbo, when people will have to react to your jabs and respect your first step, when moving the ball will not only be to get an open shot but get the defense on their toe, when you will be able to attack the closing out defenders who will be caught going the wrong way. I feel like most of theses things weren't in 2K16.

# 27 DatGD12guage @ 08/22/16 02:53 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by twebb5896
"In about half an hour playing NBA 2K17, I saw multiple passes to the paint get deflected and even picked off."

"The new system in NBA 2K17 is designed to penalize people who lay on the sprint button all the time, because that’s simply not a realistic way to play basketball"

‘Hey, I’m [rated] 95, so I’m good’ — you want to be able to separate that field, and really start bringing out the guys who really know what they’re doing versus the others."

I'm gonna cry

Sent from my SM-G935T using Tapatalk
In terms of separating the field, it kind of sounds like jones could possibly be alluding to a lobby type atmosphere or maybe at least grouping the higher rated players from the lower rated players in my park. I hope so bc I dnt want to be rated 95 and have to be the one matched up against a 85 player who I can easily outplay. It's like when you have a kid that called next among men and you getting matched up with the kid.

Plus alot of those lower rated players are newbies and some are just nuts so they are going to cause you to lose bc they are still learning how to play.

# 28 Khaos_Kiwi @ 08/22/16 02:55 PM
Quote:
Now you’ll need to time layups properly as well, and aiming is a factor in addition to timing — a jump shot will fly true only if you pull straight back on the right stick.

Hmmmm I'm not sure about this. Would be a disadvantage that those who shoot using square/X wouldn't have to deal with.

# 29 23 @ 08/22/16 02:55 PM
Very anxious to try out the new defense.

Also want to see how the scottie pippen tip steals feel which basically happens when you show the ball too much to the defense.

previously you'd only go for a swipe steall

# 30 Csmooove32 @ 08/22/16 02:56 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by BluFu
Better help defense.. for real this time? Lol

Hopefully when he says that teammates left their assignments, it wasn't one pass away and/or somebody rotated over to the guy that was left.
Yes this! Rotating on defense was a big problem in 2k16.

# 31 Vni @ 08/22/16 02:56 PM
Timed layups confirmed. Pretty amazing. I had made a thread back in 2014 about that.

# 32 lakers24 @ 08/22/16 02:57 PM

# 33 Cowboyfan_19 @ 08/22/16 02:57 PM
So are the freelances EXCLUSIVE to the team you are using, or are they all in a sub menu like they were last year when you could pick 3-2 offense, Pace, Triangle, etc.?

If so, they're gonna need to rework the whole selection process because scrolling through 7 pages of offenses last year was a pain during the middle of a possession that often went wasted.

# 34 jbthegreat @ 08/22/16 02:58 PM
So happy that they finally addressed the randomness of steals and the unresponsive unintuitive sizeup moves

# 35 BA2929 @ 08/22/16 03:01 PM
This sounds great and everything and I'm getting slightly excited, but actually seeing all this in action would be better than just reading about someone hyping it all up.

Having teammates leave their assignment to stop someone in the paint sounds wonderful, but if they're constantly leaving shooters wide open on the perimeter then that's going to make so many people on here rage. The same goes with deflected passes. Are they happening 25 times a game or at an actual reasonable rate?

Seeing all the "thanks 2k!" comments in here means the honeymoon period of 2k17 has officially begun. I give it until late Sept/early October before it changes back to the old, classic OS 2k board.

#DebbieDowner

# 36 tt500 @ 08/22/16 03:02 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cowboyfan_19
If so, they're gonna need to rework the whole selection process because scrolling through 7 pages of offenses last year was a pain during the middle of a possession that often went wasted.
I really hope they let you set up those options before the game starts. Would be cool if we can set the defensive settings on players also, rather than having to pause the game or call timeouts at the start of the game.

# 37 Vni @ 08/22/16 03:04 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vni
Timed layups confirmed. Pretty amazing. I had made a thread back in 2014 about that.
http://www.operationsports.com/forums/nba-2k-last-gen/617731-timing-layups-hook-shots-2.html

Czar said he'd love that in 2013. I bet he played a role in that. Man where is Sundown.

edit : Strange the link doesn't seem to work.

# 38 BluFu @ 08/22/16 03:08 PM
The description about the layups and how you can choose to either create contact or go around a defender gives me hope for finishing inside with small PGs (Lowry, Thomas, Paul etc.).

# 39 stillfeelme @ 08/22/16 03:08 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cowboyfan_19
So are the freelances EXCLUSIVE to the team you are using, or are they all in a sub menu like they were last year when you could pick 3-2 offense, Pace, Triangle, etc.?

Have to agree with this the freelance should be select-able prior to starting a game and during any timeout. It would be nice to be able to pick a playbook prior to starting a game but I don't know may not happen.

# 40 VDusen04 @ 08/22/16 03:09 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve_OS
Samit told me you can still use X/Square to shoot, for those that were curious.
Great news there, still love my button shooting.

Dribble moves and shooting on the same stick has always been an issue for me. Not only that, but ultra precision with the right stick has never been a strong suit for me in any game, ever. Even in Tiger Woods, when I was just able to sit there and take my time, I often struggled keeping the right analog in a straight line. I can't imagine trying to perfect it on the run over and over during a basketball game.

A lot of the other stuff sounds good in theory, but it's tough for me to say considering my limited experience with 2K16 and 2K15. Nothing really knocked my socks off here, but theoretical refinement is always nice.

Post A Comment
Only OS members can post comments
Please login or register to post a comment.