Home
NBA 2K17 News Post

Polygon has posted their NBA 2K17 hands-on impressions. Samit Sarkar goes over quite a few things, including freelance offenses for every team, better help defense, timed layups, 2K U with Coach K and much more.

Quote:
"If I can expect you to make a move and show the ball unprotected, I can time my button press" and knock the ball away, said Jones, who did this exact thing to me when we played each other. This applies to passes, too. Jones acknowledged that throwing the ball willy-nilly into the key was almost a "money" play last year. In about half an hour playing NBA 2K17, I saw multiple passes to the paint get deflected and even picked off. The ball just felt more live, whether on passes, steals or rebounds.

Game: NBA 2K17Reader Score: 7/10 - Vote Now
Platform: PC / PS3 / PS4 / Xbox 360 / Xbox OneVotes for game: 14 - View All
Member Comments
# 41 Alv1s @ 08/22/16 03:13 PM
Any chance there will be option to create your own plays?

# 42 hopoffthiscliff @ 08/22/16 03:15 PM
Anything involving stick skill sounds good to me

# 43 Vni @ 08/22/16 03:15 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alv1s
Any chance there will be option to create your own plays?
I think it will happen at some point. I think the issue is that it might lead to massive cheesy plays being created.

# 44 DatGD12guage @ 08/22/16 03:17 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vni
Timed layups confirmed. Pretty amazing. I had made a thread back in 2014 about that.
I'm a bit skeptical about this. Shot timing is already a headache sometimes from lag. Hopefully it's optional in all game modes and nobody is missing wide open layups. It only happens once a blue moon

# 45 hopoffthiscliff @ 08/22/16 03:17 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by DatGD12guage
In terms of separating the field, it kind of sounds like jones could possibly be alluding to a lobby type atmosphere or maybe at least grouping the higher rated players from the lower rated players in my park. I hope so bc I dnt want to be rated 95 and have to be the one matched up against a 85 player who I can easily outplay. It's like when you have a kid that called next among men and you getting matched up with the kid.

Plus alot of those lower rated players are newbies and some are just nuts so they are going to cause you to lose bc they are still learning how to play.
It shouldn't be like that. There are plenty of low overall players that can play the game

# 46 DatGD12guage @ 08/22/16 03:21 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by abuC
I have an 88 rated 6'9" center that pretty much kills people in park because I put all my skills into defense, athlete, rebounding and playmaking. With boosts he's so much faster than 7'3" centers and he can keep up with guards. You can't go just by rating, I have a playmaking Ben Wallace for all intents and purposes, and that's how I use him. Plus his dunk rating is in the 90s.
Yeh but I'm talking about in general.

# 47 Rip4ever @ 08/22/16 03:22 PM
Sadly sounds like there isn't much love for single player these days.

I for one have little interest in online e-penis modes.

# 48 stillfeelme @ 08/22/16 03:23 PM
Quote:
I'm a bit skeptical about this. Shot timing is already a headache sometimes from lag. Hopefully it's optional in all game modes and nobody is missing wide open layups. It only happens once a blue moon
True but if it happens it will be rare like a lag issue. If you are lagging on layups I am sure you are lagging on jumpers. I like that there are no more automatic layups it should balance the game out especially after offensive rebounds where it felt extra easy

# 49 The 24th Letter @ 08/22/16 03:23 PM
So we've already transistioned from 'we need information!!' to 'oh, they always say this' when information is presented...[emoji38]

All I know is a lot of wishlist items were addressed in this article...of course we wont know for sure until the game drops how effective things will be.

# 50 Mikelopedia @ 08/22/16 03:26 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by BluFu
The description about the layups and how you can choose to either create contact or go around a defender gives me hope for finishing inside with small PGs (Lowry, Thomas, Paul etc.).
Quote:
Originally Posted by phriscaul
legit. Kyrie would be unreal if this works as intended tbh. layup King.
Ah definitely forgot to include this in my original post. Very excited about the prospects of the way this sounds. Would certianly enjoy using the Celtics more lol.

# 51 DatGD12guage @ 08/22/16 03:28 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by hopoffthiscliff
It shouldn't be like that. There are plenty of low overall players that can play the game
I never said it wasn't I'm speaking about most that I've come in contact with from ratings of about 70 to 85 they get lost on defense and they ballhog alot or are just completely nuts.

With that said sometimes you have the exceptions who are better than the 99 legends.

# 52 Vni @ 08/22/16 03:28 PM
Quote:
I'am not worried. 2K still wants to be user friendly (to a fault sometimes).

# 53 Mintsa @ 08/22/16 03:30 PM
Love all the info and the centre point being defense/physical play.

Love the timed lay ups. Can I finally attack and use Lowry properly (he's the hardest damn player to play with in 2k history!).

Lastly. 2K.....please, please, please, please. DO NOT PATCH OUT/TWEEK these changes like last season.

The first 3 tweeks of 2k16 online were incredible, possible the best 2k has ever been online and then all of that amazingness was "tweaked" out for Timmy toothpaste and friends....

That initial 2k16 release and first 3 weeks of online play were amazing. Imagine having it like that for the whole season.

That is all.

# 54 GuwopGeezus @ 08/22/16 03:33 PM
I've been asking for a layup shot meter/timing for a few years now. Glad that seems to be in.

# 55 The 24th Letter @ 08/22/16 03:35 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vni
I'am not worried. 2K still wants to be user friendly (to a fault sometimes).
Im interested to see exactly how that works

If im wide open on a fast break by myself will I still have to time my layup? Seems like a lot to think about, lol

# 56 Mikelopedia @ 08/22/16 03:39 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mintsa
Love all the info and the centre point being defense/physical play.

Love the timed lay ups. Can I finally attack and use Lowry properly (he's the hardest damn player to play with in 2k history!).

Lastly. 2K.....please, please, please, please. DO NOT PATCH OUT/TWEEK these changes like last season.

The first 3 tweeks of 2k16 online were incredible, possible the best 2k has ever been online and then all of that amazingness was "tweaked" out for Timmy toothpaste and friends....

That initial 2k16 release and first 3 weeks of online play were amazing. Imagine having it like that for the whole season.

That is all.
There is NO bigger incentive to preorder the game than this right here, the impending fear of removing the dummy proofing tools. I LOVE those first couple weeks.

Should be 2k's marketing approach, pre-sales would skyrocket. You're welcome lol

#THISISNOTAGAME #EARLYTIPOFF #EARLYFIRE #UNTILTHEFIRSTPATCH #THENITSAGAME #UNITE

# 57 GuwopGeezus @ 08/22/16 03:41 PM
Also, I hope they bring back the play calling system from 2K15 for MyCareer. It took a major step back in 2K16.

# 58 alabamarob @ 08/22/16 03:43 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vni
I think it will happen at some point. I think the issue is that it might lead to massive cheesy plays being created.
Cheesy plays already exist.

The timed layups if done properly will change the game.
1. Wide open layups should have a huge window.
2. Contested layup windows should depend on the player shooting and person/people contesting.
3. When you trigger the mid air change shot, you should not get a new window, but your original window should shrink. So if you hit a perfect release and hit mid air shot change you should still get the layup percentage for a perfect mid air contested shot release.
4.You should still be able to block a perfect layup release though.
5. Huge layup window players should be able to shoot quick, reg, or late timed layups because the window is different. That would add a large variety of layup release points. Like a young tony parker.
6. Poorly rate layup guys would have limited release points.

# 59 Vni @ 08/22/16 03:46 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by The 24th Letter
Im interested to see exactly how that works

If im wide open on a fast break by myself will I still have to time my layup? Seems like a lot to think about, lol
I bet wide open layups will still be almost automatic. I feel like the timing will have a pretty minimal impact on the success rate. Like even if you were to time it as bad as you possibly could that would only lower the success rate by a small amount. But I definately woudn't mind it being harder.

# 60 The 24th Letter @ 08/22/16 03:47 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by alabamarob
Just make the window huge.
Thats kind of what I am picturing in my head....just a huhe window to fill the meter...

Post A Comment
Only OS members can post comments
Please login or register to post a comment.