Home
NBA 2K17 News Post

Polygon has posted their NBA 2K17 hands-on impressions. Samit Sarkar goes over quite a few things, including freelance offenses for every team, better help defense, timed layups, 2K U with Coach K and much more.

Quote:
"If I can expect you to make a move and show the ball unprotected, I can time my button press" and knock the ball away, said Jones, who did this exact thing to me when we played each other. This applies to passes, too. Jones acknowledged that throwing the ball willy-nilly into the key was almost a "money" play last year. In about half an hour playing NBA 2K17, I saw multiple passes to the paint get deflected and even picked off. The ball just felt more live, whether on passes, steals or rebounds.

Game: NBA 2K17Reader Score: 7/10 - Vote Now
Platform: PC / PS3 / PS4 / Xbox 360 / Xbox OneVotes for game: 14 - View All
Member Comments
# 121 MarkWilliam @ 08/23/16 12:17 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by The 24th Letter
Im interested to see exactly how that works

If im wide open on a fast break by myself will I still have to time my layup? Seems like a lot to think about, lol
Probably, but maybe its like 99% probability for success or something....

# 122 MarkWilliam @ 08/23/16 12:17 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by 23
Had a freelance but there were only about 21 which pretty much was tied to the team if im not mistaken
Ok thanks man.

# 123 MarkWilliam @ 08/23/16 12:21 AM
Sorry for giving similar responses guys. I'm responding to comments and then seeing the same response has already happened....

(trying to play catch up while I'm at work here!)

# 124 Black Bruce Wayne @ 08/23/16 12:53 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by phriscaul
nah. ive not once said how bad its going to be. what i have done, is point out all the glaring mechanics issues in the game. something that nobody ever wants to talk about. and ive stated multiple times that should they fix these issues, i'd be happy as all hell.....but they gotta fix these issues because they just add up.

as far as things i like? i like the presentation. I like that they attempt to really give you an authentic nba experience, in terms of presentation. but for me, the gameplay comes first. somebody here made the point that 2K likes to make it flashy but ignore legacy issues. and literally, everything i talk about here on this forum are legacy issues that people willfully ignore(which is fine if just having a basketball game suffices....to which i respect). but i was under the impression that 'sim' was the end goal here, and if so, then lets have an honest convo without all the condescending retort.
As long as I've been here, nobody ignores legacy issues. Just because we continue to play the game doesn't mean we don't notice them. And just because we enjoy the game doesn't mean we don't notice.

# 125 Mikelopedia @ 08/23/16 01:21 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkWilliam
Anyone else think the freelance comment was odd? Unless I am crazy, every team in 2K16 had their own free lance (and then even more extras again...) right?

Or am I mistaken?
Remember how some teams simply had a generic 3 out or 4 out freelance system? I'm taking it to mean that all 30 will have their own team specific freelances.

Definitely cool. 2 things I do hope for this year is that the team specific ones from 2k16's lesser teams such as the Sixers motion were expanded upon (we all know some awesome detail will go into the Warriors and Spurs swing).

The 2nd thing is I hope that freelances are no longer tied to the team. Yes you can change yours in game, but not the CPU obviously. And say 5 years into a MyLeague, a team will still run the same system, no matter if they are on their 2nd or 3rd different coach.

# 126 Trackball @ 08/23/16 02:08 AM
Look at all the top comments on Chris Smoove's video on the new shot meter.

We are so screwed.

Because the cheesers are so loud, the first patch will appease them, like always. Bye bye sim.

# 127 TheFinalEvent97 @ 08/23/16 02:19 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by DatGD12guage
In terms of separating the field, it kind of sounds like jones could possibly be alluding to a lobby type atmosphere or maybe at least grouping the higher rated players from the lower rated players in my park. I hope so bc I dnt want to be rated 95 and have to be the one matched up against a 85 player who I can easily outplay. It's like when you have a kid that called next among men and you getting matched up with the kid.

Plus alot of those lower rated players are newbies and some are just nuts so they are going to cause you to lose bc they are still learning how to play.
It could also mean some sort of Dynamic Rating system for your MyPlayer.

# 128 MarkWilliam @ 08/23/16 02:35 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trackball

We are so screwed.

Because the cheesers are so loud, the first patch will appease them, like always. Bye bye sim.
Ahhhh.......why don't they just get a SNES and game NBA Jam - Tournament Edition!? That ain't complicated....

# 129 coachcolbert @ 08/23/16 09:22 AM
Quote:

We are so screwed.

if thats the case hopefully they only change park. being honest (sorry guys) most of the whining comes from that player base because its mostly younger guys (just saying, please put the pitch forks down).

i hope they keep all other modes (including pro am) as sim as i hope day 1 will be

# 130 alabamarob @ 08/23/16 09:28 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by coachcolbert
if thats the case hopefully they only change park. being honest (sorry guys) most of the whining comes from that player base because its mostly younger guys (just saying, please put the pitch forks down).

i hope they keep all other modes (including pro am) as sim as i hope day 1 will be
I am starting to wish they make mypark, mycareer, and proam their own game. I think the actual 5 v 5 gameplay with real teams would be alot further along if those modes were their own game.

# 131 MarkWilliam @ 08/23/16 09:38 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by alabamarob
I am starting to wish they make mypark, mycareer, and proam their own game. think the actual 5 v 5 gameplay with real teams would be alot further along if those modes were their own game.
Interestingly enough I have NEVER played 1 minute of any of those modes....

# 132 alabamarob @ 08/23/16 09:41 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkWilliam
Interestingly enough I have NEVER played 1 minute of any of those modes....
Neither have I, but you do have point forward in your title. Ha.

Requiring timing for every shot seems like a good idea. Ther should be no free points.

# 133 MarkWilliam @ 08/23/16 09:47 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by alabamarob
Neither have I, but you do have point forward in your title. Ha.

Requiring timing for every shot seems like a good idea. Ther should be no free points.
Haha see I don't even understand that "point forward" reference.

I just grew up a BIG Scottie Pippen fan.....

# 134 Vni @ 08/23/16 09:56 AM
Quote:

We are so screwed.

Arcade nation is already in tears, damn.

# 135 TheDuggler @ 08/23/16 10:21 AM
I kind of like the shot stick change, as long as the stick has a reasonable interpretation of "straight up" it gives the game another level of skill to master. If you have to raise it perfectly at 90 degrees its kind of dumb, but I bet 2K will give some wiggle room on that.

# 136 Goffs @ 08/23/16 10:57 AM
Quote:

We are so screwed.

God dammit....welp if smoove can't be bothered to learn stuff then what's the point for 2k to even try something new. IMMA CRY NOW SO THEY WILL PATCH IT FIRST DAY!

# 137 Vni @ 08/23/16 11:50 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Goffs
God dammit....welp if smoove can't be bothered to learn stuff then what's the point for 2k to even try something new. IMMA CRY NOW SO THEY WILL PATCH IT FIRST DAY!
We can't have nice things.

# 138 stillfeelme @ 08/23/16 11:54 AM
Quote:

We are so screwed.

Thanks for posting this. I see where they are going with it now with the shot stick. They are trying to separate guys by placing actual stick skill into every shot you take.

This sounds like they may have a different skill level control that is select-able online. So they can force this by either lobbies or a PNO filtering option. So the person using what I call skill stick control scheme should be rewarded with more bonuses for winning playing against someone who isn't.

So if they are trying to go e-Sports then they need some advanced control schemes to separate guys with stick skills.

Something as simple like timing a layup might even separate guys lol this is going to be hilarious. At first I was thinking I wouldn't use this but I think I will now as long as I don't think the CPU is getting some crazy advantage. This is equivalent to hardcore or elite modes in shooters in a sports game, driving games without driving assist or slip assist

# 139 The 24th Letter @ 08/23/16 11:59 AM
Its crazy to me that the idea that you have to learn something in a game is so frightening to some..

Thats a huge part of the fun/challenge for me.

# 140 Vni @ 08/23/16 12:03 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by The 24th Letter
Its crazy to me that the idea that you have to learn something in a game is so frightening to some..

Thats a huge part of the fun/challenge for me.
Exactly man. New mechanics, deeper gameplay, new things to get used to it's all I'am about. Keeps the experience fresh and interesting.

Post A Comment
Only OS members can post comments
Please login or register to post a comment.