Home
NBA 2K17 News Post

Polygon has posted their NBA 2K17 hands-on impressions. Samit Sarkar goes over quite a few things, including freelance offenses for every team, better help defense, timed layups, 2K U with Coach K and much more.

Quote:
"If I can expect you to make a move and show the ball unprotected, I can time my button press" and knock the ball away, said Jones, who did this exact thing to me when we played each other. This applies to passes, too. Jones acknowledged that throwing the ball willy-nilly into the key was almost a "money" play last year. In about half an hour playing NBA 2K17, I saw multiple passes to the paint get deflected and even picked off. The ball just felt more live, whether on passes, steals or rebounds.

Game: NBA 2K17Reader Score: 7/10 - Vote Now
Platform: PC / PS3 / PS4 / Xbox 360 / Xbox OneVotes for game: 14 - View All
Member Comments
# 161 stillfeelme @ 08/24/16 12:11 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by prhiam
Now this is coming from a "casual" gamer. I don't understand the need for distinguishing. What is the purpose? I just want to play the game and have a good time, I don't want to have to take my video games so seriously. I've never truly been able to adapt to the shot stick completely, in fact, I rarely use it because I just can't get myself to use it as easily as square. I hate that this has taken some of my options away in game. Because I also like to have a realistic game when it comes to sports games. I've learned that you can still "lean" with the left stick to get some of those shot stick options, but I still can't figure it out.

Just a real question, why do we care about distinguishing between types of players? I consider myself casual because I do not touch My Team, or play any online games. I dislike and fully despise online gameplay, so I am never on it. I would venture that those that consider themselves casual do the same. Please keep in mind, I'm not hating on your comment or attacking it, just wondering seriously why we want to separate players, it feels a little alienating to me.
I would say you are mostly unaffected if you don't play online mode or against a human local. I think he is saying you will get to see who really is skilled on the sticks vs. who is a casual gamer when you play against another player because now stick skills actually play a larger role. The hardcore player is going to learn all the moves, shot stick etc. to give them the advantage to try to win. The casual player will just keep it simple. They are placing more stick skill in the user hands to determine to outcome.

If you are playing against the CPU you may not care as much or if you are a casual gamer you might not care.

# 162 Vni @ 08/24/16 03:36 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by VinsanityLives
I long for this as well. I felt 2k11 was pretty reactionary. But nothing lately. 15/16 was really heavy on the animations too

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk
And animations were quick too. Layups were quick, stepbacks were quick, jumpshots were quicker. Some passing animations litteraly takes 1 second and a half to play out sometimes. Nba 2K on the moon.

# 163 drugsbunny @ 08/25/16 06:58 AM
I loved 2K16. I hope they keep the control scheme going for 2K17. Give me tattoo's for created players, player portraits for created players and better intergration of created or relocated teams and we are good money.

# 164 raiderphantom @ 08/25/16 09:53 AM
Yeah I can't deal with the input delay or long drawn out animations you can't break out of. It really kills the game for me. As bad as the defensive ai was, this is my number #1 issue. Layup timing sounds like a good addition but it's another thing Im worried about as well.

# 165 Barncore @ 08/25/16 01:32 PM
Curry might actually end up being too good in the game, which is mildly concerning. 2k do have a habit of over-compensating for complaints of casual fans. The fact that Curry didn't shoot threes like Curry was a big one last season.

A lot of this article is fluff and buzz words. I've been playing NBA videogames for a looong time. It's the same old promises and spinster talk every time.

Quote:
Jones told me that Visual Concepts did a lot of work on AI for coaches and players in NBA 2K17. That manifests itself in coaching decisions like the personnel on the court, and in the action itself, it means that players move with intent — they go to a spot on the floor for a particular reason, such as to help out with defense in the paint or to set a screen.
That's...not a new concept to 2k games.
Quote:
Jones pointed out that blocks are more realistic this year in the way they come about
More realistic than ever before! Wow!
Quote:
"If I can expect you to make a move and show the ball unprotected, I can time my button press" and knock the ball away, said Jones, who did this exact thing to me when we played each other. This applies to passes, too. Jones acknowledged that throwing the ball willy-nilly into the key was almost a "money" play last year.
What? No it wasn't. It never has.
Quote:
last year, the player’s release timing only mattered for jump shots and shots in the post. Now you’ll need to time layups properly as well.
That's actually an interesting idea. I never thought of that.
Quote:
and aiming is a factor in addition to timing
And aiming too? Oh god. I can already see myself getting frustrated at all my missed layups. :|
Quote:
You’ve been able to select a layup type before, but couldn’t truly convey whether you wanted to use a straight-ahead power move or go around someone. In NBA 2K17, the direction in which you move the left stick will make a difference, so contact won’t necessarily come from the defensive side alone.
Another interesting one. Looks like you can draw contact then? That's cool.
Quote:
The new [fatigue] system in NBA 2K17 is designed to penalize people who lay on the sprint button all the time, because that’s simply not a realistic way to play basketball
This pleases me.
Quote:
At some point, everyone who plays NBA 2K online seriously is going to have a high-rated player, just from having put in the time to upgrade their character’s attributes. So the way Visual Concepts sees it, giving players more control on the court is the only way to determine who has more skills on the sticks.
And also because E-Sports is a huge market and would be a huge opportunity for 2k.
Not complaining though. Gearing the game towards control over gameplay rather than the attributes/cpu sounds like a great initiative. I wonder if they can pull it off.

# 166 prhiam @ 08/25/16 02:03 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by stillfeelme
I would say you are mostly unaffected if you don't play online mode or against a human local. I think he is saying you will get to see who really is skilled on the sticks vs. who is a casual gamer when you play against another player because now stick skills actually play a larger role. The hardcore player is going to learn all the moves, shot stick etc. to give them the advantage to try to win. The casual player will just keep it simple. They are placing more stick skill in the user hands to determine to outcome.

If you are playing against the CPU you may not care as much or if you are a casual gamer you might not care.
Very cool, just wondering. I can understand that for the online set.

# 167 prhiam @ 08/25/16 02:10 PM
I'll say that for the fatigue and how it is going to be used this year and saying that it will punish those who lay on the turbo. I think that is a result of the gameplay and I hope that they countered that with fixing player movement. Player movement in the current game is extremely slow, all the players look like they are toddlers learning to dribble and move for the first time, without turbo. Unless you're using size-ups, most dribble moves look like they are hurting the players.

# 168 hornetfan75 @ 08/28/16 06:27 PM
looks like their will be some interesting improvements in defense

# 169 killaxxbearsxxx @ 08/28/16 09:31 PM
In regards to the fatigue system, does this mean it will be easier to slowly and more fluently?

Post A Comment
Only OS members can post comments
Please login or register to post a comment.