Home
News Post

Playstation Plus, Sony's online gaming subscription service, will be getting a $10 price hike this next month.

Quote:
The price of PlayStation Plus is rising by a Hamilton. Beginning on September 22nd, the yearly fee will increase by $10 — from $49.99 to $59.99.

The new price won’t impact current subscribers until its time for renewal. So, if you’ve been considering PlayStation Plus, it would be cheaper to join this month for the next year at the lower rate. If you’re a subscriber already and would rather not continue with the new price, Sony’s blog recommends you turn off auto-renewal in your account setting by September 22nd.

On top of getting access to online functionality within games, Sony's service also offers discounts on game purchases and even some free downloads. The three-month subscription is also getting a $7 price hike to $24.99. One-month subscriptions will remain at $9.99.

Member Comments
# 1 Boogee134 @ 08/22/16 02:14 PM
The free games have been really underwhelming so far. I won't be renewing my PSplus subscription.

# 2 Scheib43 @ 08/22/16 02:17 PM
I didn't mind getting NBA2K16 in June as I didn't buy it previously. I picked up Driveclub back when it was available as well as Rocket League. Tricky Towers is a nice little game too for the family or a timekiller online. $60 is well worth it.

# 3 DBMcGee3 @ 08/22/16 03:05 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Raisnets
That's cool and all but digital games need a price slash. no digital game should cost 59.99,
Dude, you read my mind. I want so badly to have all digital games and not have to store or swap discs regularly, but damn....hard to get into that routine when I can buy the disc for $48 via Amazon and then trade it in for $10 or $15 when I'm over it.

Hard to understand the pricing logic.

# 4 Deflo_ @ 08/22/16 03:21 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by DBMcGee3
Dude, you read my mind. I want so badly to have all digital games and not have to store or swap discs regularly, but damn....hard to get into that routine when I can buy the disc for $48 via Amazon and then trade it in for $10 or $15 when I'm over it.

Hard to understand the pricing logic.
Well, they aren't going to compete with themselves by offering the same product at a cheaper price. The reason you can usually get the discs cheaper is they are either pre-owned, or for a company like Amazon, a cost of doing business. The studio itself isn't going to undercut itself to provide convenience.

# 5 Sheba2011 @ 08/22/16 03:27 PM
I actually cancelled both this and Xbox Live because I have been really underwhelmed with the selection of free games offered lately. I hardly ever play online so the free games was the only thing keeping me there. EA Access has been a much better service than both of them.

# 6 Cletus @ 08/22/16 04:25 PM
Quote:
EA Access is a very different service to XBOX Live and PSN not sure why you are comparing them.
I can see why. He is just using it for free games. if you compare it on that platform, then it smokes both services. The only free game from ps+ I play is rocket league. If it weren't for that and my EASHL team I'd cancel ps+ in a jiffy.

# 7 Cookie Puss @ 08/22/16 05:10 PM
A $10 price increase from a company that to this day has yet to implement a 2-step authorization process and the ability to change your username.

# 8 azdawgpound @ 08/22/16 05:30 PM
I agree the selection of free games isent worth the $49 now $59???

I just re uped my subscription but once it runs out I won't re subscribe not worth it I don't play games online much.

Ea just needs to get ea access .. there's no excuse why they shouldn't have it and excuse of we have ps now with bunch old games isent a excuse.

# 9 Cookie Puss @ 08/22/16 05:35 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by azdawgpound
Ea just needs to get ea access .. there's no excuse why they shouldn't have it and excuse of we have ps now with bunch old games isent a excuse.

I think EA does have EA Access.

# 10 redsox4evur @ 08/22/16 05:41 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by azdawgpound
I agree the selection of free games isent worth the $49 now $59???

I just re uped my subscription but once it runs out I won't re subscribe not worth it I don't play games online much.

Well go complain Sony. EA is more than happy to have it on PS. But Sony doesn't want it because they don't it's a good value to their customer or whatever.

# 11 SmashMan @ 08/23/16 01:14 AM
Really odd from a PR standpoint that they didn't have a 'positive' reason for raising the price alongside this news to try and soften the blow. Just doing it for ****s and giggles, I guess.

# 12 baconbits11 @ 08/23/16 10:41 AM
Now there is no reason other than the SHOW to pick PS4 over XBOX One...first EA Access and now this. And to think, when the console wars began, I was going with PS4....Thankfully there are sales on these now and then, I can't justify paying full price for XBOX Live or PS+. Biggest ripoff in gaming, the only draw is being able to play online.

# 13 Sheba2011 @ 08/23/16 10:53 AM
Quote:
EA Access is a very different service to XBOX Live and PSN not sure why you are comparing them.
All 3 of them are platforms that offer similar services:

- Monthly or yearly fee
- Selection of Free games
- Discounts on online purchases

To recap, I pay a monthly fee for each one and I only use them for the free games/discounts. Now do you see why I compare them?

# 14 mcmax3000 @ 08/23/16 11:05 AM
The Xbox One is my primary platform, I rarely ever play online on PSN, and apparently the price hike is $20 in Canada, so I think I'll pass on renewing my subscription (or maybe renew once soon before the price increase, then pass the next time I'm set to renew after that).

I can probably buy the occasional "free" game that appeals to me, and spend less than $70 per year.

# 15 Sheba2011 @ 08/23/16 01:50 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by mcmax3000
The Xbox One is my primary platform, I rarely ever play online on PSN, and apparently the price hike is $20 in Canada, so I think I'll pass on renewing my subscription (or maybe renew once soon before the price increase, then pass the next time I'm set to renew after that).

I can probably buy the occasional "free" game that appeals to me, and spend less than $70 per year.
This was my reasoning as well, the "free" games that actually interested me I could buy preowned for cheaper and have the added ability to trade them in later. Both services used to be so much better in the past.

# 16 Sheba2011 @ 08/23/16 06:09 PM
Quote:
The base of PS Plus isn't "FREE GAMEZ!!!!!!" they aren't the same service.
For the third time, For MY usage PS+/Xbox Live is ONLY for FREE Games and discounts. For ME online play is NOT a factor. So for ME all 3 of them are competing services that offer free games and discounts. And EA Access is the best value among the 3 of them for ME. Does that make more sense to you now?

# 17 Focused One @ 08/24/16 01:03 PM
I don't get why everyone is acting like this is a big deal...

Xbox Live went up $10 from $50 to $60 in 2011... No one cared... Those who used XBL found it justifiable- those who didn't had PS3s or were PC Master Race dudes before that was cool.

Sony was actually being very competitive to offer PS+ for $50 for the first 3 years... Not to mention there are TONS of discounts in the PS Store in addition to the free games every month for PS+ subscribers.

Yes, I would like to change my username every now and then. Yes, I think a 2-Step verification process is vital. And yes, it was stupid to not have an appear offline function for the first 2.5 years, but all in all, I would much rather pay a small premium to have a seamlessly integrated online experience versus a free service where cross game chat and other features don't exist (PSN) or are all 3rd party and have to be patched together with inconsistent reliability (Steam + take your pick apps/ programs).

# 18 ericromain @ 08/24/16 06:34 PM
I wish developers would put out more games i want to play to justify my PS+ cost. Currently I play NHL online, and enjoy maybe 3 fun games a year. I don't value that at $60 when i'm already paying $60 for NHL.

# 19 Sheba2011 @ 08/24/16 08:07 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Focused One
I don't get why everyone is acting like this is a big deal...

Xbox Live went up $10 from $50 to $60 in 2011... No one cared... Those who used XBL found it justifiable- those who didn't had PS3s or were PC Master Race dudes before that was cool.

Sony was actually being very competitive to offer PS+ for $50 for the first 3 years... Not to mention there are TONS of discounts in the PS Store in addition to the free games every month for PS+ subscribers.

Yes, I would like to change my username every now and then. Yes, I think a 2-Step verification process is vital. And yes, it was stupid to not have an appear offline function for the first 2.5 years, but all in all, I would much rather pay a small premium to have a seamlessly integrated online experience versus a free service where cross game chat and other features don't exist (PSN) or are all 3rd party and have to be patched together with inconsistent reliability (Steam + take your pick apps/ programs).
It's a big deal for me because of the level of service doesn't justify a price increase. Yes it is only $10, but at the same time the selection of free games has been horrendous this year outside of NBA 2k16. And Sony seems to have a new outage every month.

# 20 brianski71 @ 08/26/16 01:44 AM
Honest question (I swear I'm not trolling)...how many guys here would jump ship from PS4 to Xbox One if Microsoft simply made NCAA 14 backwards compatible? I know I would. As someone who owned both the 360 and PS3, (not simultaneously, at opposite ends of the generation) I had no console preference entering the generation. All I knew was I wasn't tying up $800 in consoles to own both. I settled on PS4 because of The Show. After hearing about EA Access, I thought it was just a matter of time before it hit PS4, but I guess it was dead wrong. I've somewhat soured on The Show, and literally barely play it between NHL and Madden/(still) NCAA season. RBI would give me plenty of a baseball fix throughout late summer. EA Access is a game changer, coming from a livid PS4 owner who can't get it. The ability to play the games I skipped out on, play the games I care about early, and trade my discs in earlier to maximize getting my money's worth would be more than worth it. I'm curious to see if I'm the only one here. It would literally cost Microsoft $0 to unlock NCAA 14 for us. I know I'm at least one person who would jump ship in a heartbeat. I'd trade my PS3 and PS4 in in a heartbeat to be able to still play NCAA, play UHD movies, and gain EA Access all in one system.

« Previous12Next »

Post A Comment
Only OS members can post comments
Please login or register to post a comment.