Home
NBA 2K17 News Post

Mentioned back in June, it is now official. Fans of NBA 2K17 on the Xbox One and PlayStation 4 will be able to scan their faces into the game with the upcoming mobile companion app, MyNBA2K17. Scheduled to arrive on September 8, the app also includes the collectible NBA 2K themed card game, MyTEAM Mobile, which allows players to collect their favorite NBA player cards and legends to challenge other competitors across the world in quick games, season tournaments, and weekly special events including Rivals Clash and Road to the Championship.

No official word for PC users, but we will update this post if we hear more. You can read the full press release below.

UPDATE: We received confirmation that the face scan app is exclusive to PlayStation 4 and Xbox One users, no support for PC users.

NBA 2K Announces 2016 NBA Rookie of the Year Karl-Anthony Towns as MyNBA2K17 App Icon Cover Athlete

2K today revealed that 2016 NBA Rookie of the Year and Minnesota Timberwolves superstar Karl-Anthony Towns will appear as the app icon cover athlete for MyNBA2K17, the new mobile companion application to NBA 2K17 set to launch on September 8, 2016. Available for free in the App Store for iOS and on Google Play for Android, MyNBA2K17 directly connects players to the console version of NBA 2K17, with a variety of features that enhance the game experience including the debut of all-new facial simulation technology, enabling fans to bring their visual appearance to Xbox One and PlayStation 4 versions of NBA 2K17 through their mobile device. MyNBA2K17 also includes the collectible NBA 2K themed card game, MyTEAM Mobile, which allows players to collect their favorite NBA player cards and legends to challenge other competitors across the world in quick games, season tournaments, and weekly special events including Rivals Clash and Road to the Championship.

Additional features include:
•​ Ability to earn Virtual Currency daily for NBA 2K17
•​ Pick and win mini-games leveraging live NBA game stats
•​ Shop for console items while on-the-go from an expanded MyPLAYER Store
•​ Buy and sell cards on the Auction House
•​ Watch 2KTV anytime on your mobile device

“I’ve been a dedicated NBA 2K fan since I was young, and being selected as the face of MyNBA2K17 is an incredible milestone this early in my career,” said Karl-Anthony Towns, who was also selected to the All-NBA Rookie First Team, as a result of stellar play during his first year with the Timberwolves. “Playing MyNBA2K and NBA2K is an essential part of my offseason and keeps me grounded during the season with all my travel. I love that I will have the opportunity to connect further with my fans through MyNBA2K17.”

The new app will be available for free in the App Store for iOS and on Google Play for Android with the opportunity for additional in-game purchases on September 8, 2016.

Game: NBA 2K17Reader Score: 7/10 - Vote Now
Platform: PC / PS3 / PS4 / Xbox 360 / Xbox OneVotes for game: 14 - View All
Member Comments
# 81 Americas Team @ 09/07/16 05:04 PM
Not going to be able to get any natural light at 12am, Ill probably wait til the morning or afternoon to scan mine.

# 82 Insight23 @ 09/07/16 05:10 PM
I believe Ronnie said the same technology is being used. So although it should be easier, some of the same problems will still exist. Honestly, I'm not expecting what Live provided. I do expect better than what we've received previously though.

# 83 MontanaMan @ 09/07/16 05:19 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Insight23
I believe Ronnie said the same technology is being used. So although it should be easier, some of the same problems will still exist. Honestly, I'm not expecting what Live provided. I do expect better than what we've received previously though.
Wel Ronnies scan looked better than years past

# 84 Ghostly15 @ 09/07/16 05:29 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by MontanaMan
Wel Ronnies scan looked better than years past
Who said he used the app? Come on he works for 2k

# 85 Saro1 @ 09/07/16 05:35 PM
In Europe (Italy) in 30 minutes?

# 86 NARFALICIOUS @ 09/07/16 08:53 PM
What time will it release? Midnight? 8AM? Which time zone??

# 87 CaCHooKa Man @ 09/07/16 09:29 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by NARFALICIOUS
What time will it release? Midnight? 8AM? Which time zone??
Probably around 9 AM PDT

# 88 lilteapot @ 09/07/16 09:52 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by CaCHooKa Man
Probably around 9 AM PDT

So that would be Noon EST.

Hopefully the face scanning this year is way better than last year. Last year's face scanning took a huge step back from 2k15.

Hopefully this is easier and more accurate.

# 89 LeBlonde James @ 09/07/16 10:21 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by lilteapot
So that would be Noon EST.

Hopefully the face scanning this year is way better than last year. Last year's face scanning took a huge step back from 2k15.

Hopefully this is easier and more accurate.
Hoping so, with the phone app it should be much easier to find a spot and get good lighting at least

Sent from my SM-N910P using Tapatalk

# 90 Inzombniac @ 09/07/16 10:56 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by hargroverichie
Hoping so, with the phone app it should be much easier to find a spot and get good lighting at least

The pain I had with a TV that was to the side of my window in my room and trying to aim the Kinect in the right place to get a proper scan in while seeing the instructions was ridiculous. Hours of different angles, setting it on top of various places trying to level it and attempting to get the Kinect to even get the face scanning started were nightmares.

I never tried Live's app to know how it is with a phone but like you said, it's a lot easier to carry around than a Kinect to find that lighting balance.

# 91 lilteapot @ 09/07/16 11:12 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Inzombniac
The pain I had with a TV that was to the side of my window in my room and trying to aim the Kinect in the right place to get a proper scan in while seeing the instructions was ridiculous. Hours of different angles, setting it on top of various places trying to level it and attempting to get the Kinect to even get the face scanning started were nightmares.

I never tried Live's app to know how it is with a phone but like you said, it's a lot easier to carry around than a Kinect to find that lighting balance.
Even though I never had NBA Live, I downloaded the app anyway and it took me not even 3 minutes to get a good, accurate face scan. It was brilliant.

# 92 LeBlonde James @ 09/07/16 11:16 PM
Quote:

Yeah it was a struggle lol I just made the best player I could without a scan but i can get fairly close to my appearance with the creator.

The live app was pretty decent and easy to use...here's how mine turned out.

# 93 MoneyOvaHuds @ 09/07/16 11:45 PM
How many dead bodies do you have locked away Richard jk

# 94 CaCHooKa Man @ 09/07/16 11:47 PM
Quote:

Me and my friends used studio lighting with the Kinect on a tripod and the scans still didn't come out as good as they should've. I tried the Live app for the demo last year and it only took 2 tries to get a better scan than hours of using the one in 2K.

# 95 LeBlonde James @ 09/07/16 11:51 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by MoneyOvaHuds
How many dead bodies do you have locked away Richard jk
¯\_(ツ)_/¯

# 96 antdoggydogg @ 09/08/16 12:10 AM
Ronnie just tweeted that we won't be able to see how our scans look till the actual prelude comes out. I hope they give us a preview and re-scan option before starting our 1-and-done Prelude.

# 97 TeamHawkins @ 09/08/16 12:15 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by antdoggydogg
Ronnie just tweeted that we won't be able to see how our scans look till the actual prelude comes out. I hope they give us a preview and re-scan option before starting our 1-and-done Prelude.
Huh? Okay this is sounding suspect now. I agree here. There HAS to be a preview feature.

# 98 Hopsin @ 09/08/16 12:17 AM
I saw that as well and thought how is there no preview option? I'm sure you have too see if it comes out right?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

# 99 orlandofan123 @ 09/08/16 12:20 AM
of course he would say that last minute lol.

# 100 hopoffthiscliff @ 09/08/16 12:25 AM
I knew this would mess up somehow

Post A Comment
This thread has been closed for new comments.