Home
Madden NFL 17 News Post

As you run out of field when you enter the red zone in Madden NFL 17, you have to adjust your style in order to continue to have consistent success in the passing game.

Routes like vertical routes aren't as effective when you are less than 20 yards from the end zone, and stretching the field vertically becomes more of a concern. This year, with the defense actually playing a more competent zone defense, finding softer spots to attack is harder than ever.

There are a few different things you can do to maximize red zone success:
  1. Change how you throw. Do things like High Point passing or throw it low and outside to a receiver running an out route just as a couple of ideas. A big part of red zone passing in football (especially goal line passing) is putting the ball where only the receiver can get to it. It goes without saying, but turnovers in the red zone = bad.
  2. Instead of stretching the field vertically, stretch it horizontally. In a sense, this means you try to find a lot of slants, ins, corners, crossing type of routes. Your receivers need space. You can't call plays intended for the middle of the field in the red zone. The game changes as the field shrinks.
  3. If the defense is bunched towards the middle, a quick screen may work. I've had *some* success calling a Bubble screen or even a slip screen. But it all depends on the defensive call on if a screen works (this applies to the entirety of the field).
  4. Timing routes are literally all about timing. If you are throwing a slant or an out or an in -- the receiver is most open in a short field just as they make the cut. You have to anticipate this and be ready to throw as the cut is happening.
What strategies are you using to maximize success down in the red zone in Madden NFL 17?

Video: ZFarls on YouTube

Game: Madden NFL 17Reader Score: 8/10 - Vote Now
Platform: PS3 / PS4 / Xbox 360 / Xbox OneVotes for game: 17 - View All
Member Comments
# 1 CM Hooe @ 09/07/16 01:40 PM
To go along with 1 - if you have a receiver who is tall and has a high Spectacular Catch rating, use him on a fade route in the red zone. It's a legitimately effective play this year with the right receiver on the other end of the play.

Dez Bryant, for example, is basically a power forward in the red zone on this game. When I'm inside the five, if the defense gives me a run-heavy look, I audible out and just throw Dez a high entry pass towards the sideline and as long as he's not doubled he just goes up and gets it. I imagine this will work with other big receivers in the game (Julio Jones, AJ Green, Alshon Jeffrey) as well.

# 2 Shadymamba @ 09/07/16 02:36 PM
I use lots of slants - playing with Miami and Landry and Stills i have to use their quickness - I haven't tried any fade routes with Parker as of yet - I also utilize my TE (2nd round pick) to either run seam routes or out routes - if i'm within the 5 yard line i'll just run the ball in but since this was a passing thread I usually use those methods (Slants/Seam/Out Routes)

# 3 fjackson18 @ 09/08/16 12:04 AM
Just chucking it up to Moncrief.

# 4 Bigg Cee @ 09/08/16 12:22 AM
To me the red zone feels tough this year. Passing can be tricky. M16 was kinda of easy but M17 can get hard online against good ppl.

# 5 goalieump413 @ 09/08/16 12:55 AM
Good points, but there needs to be a distinction between red zone passing and goal line passing. You CAN still stretch the field vertically anywhere outside the 15 yard line, but to do it, requires quick thinking and the correct type of pass modifier. Sometimes double moves work, but typically only if your receiver is matched up in man coverage with a slower DB.

Inside the 5 yard line, my favorite is to send two receivers on the same side of the hash marks on slants. The inside or slot receiver occupies the gap between the safety and the OLB, while the outside receiver gets single coverage. If you move the slot guy towards the wideout pre-snap, the effect is better, since the safety/OLB combo could now be pulled away from sealing the edge against a run, horizontally stretching the defense.

Bottom line: For me, it's all about what happens before the ball is snapped. I can sometimes infer what kind of defense the AI is running from moving receivers in or out, and that tells me a lot about where and how to throw the ball.

# 6 OhMrHanky @ 09/08/16 12:57 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by CM Hooe
To go along with 1 - if you have a receiver who is tall and has a high Spectacular Catch rating, use him on a fade route in the red zone. It's a legitimately effective play this year with the right receiver on the other end of the play.

Dez Bryant, for example, is basically a power forward in the red zone on this game. When I'm inside the five, if the defense gives me a run-heavy look, I audible out and just throw Dez a high entry pass towards the sideline and as long as he's not doubled he just goes up and gets it. I imagine this will work with other big receivers in the game (Julio Jones, AJ Green, Alshon Jeffrey) as well.

Yeah, it works with Julio. [emoji41]. And, yes, I posted this in another thread, but it just looks BEAUTIFUL!!! Unfortunately, the game dvr had a big pause in this clip. I apologize for the long pause, but I promise there's a wicked Julio fade catch at the end. Lolhttps://vimeo.com/181891424

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

# 7 Alfie @ 09/08/16 01:00 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by OhMrHanky
Yeah, it works with Julio. [emoji41]. And, yes, I posted this in another thread, but it just looks BEAUTIFUL!!! Unfortunately, the game dvr had a big pause in this clip. I apologize for the long pause, but I promise there's a wicked Julio fade catch at the end. Lolhttps://vimeo.com/181891424

Question: Do you throw a high lob pass (tap the button) or throw a high bullet pass (hold the button)?

# 8 OhMrHanky @ 09/08/16 01:42 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alfie
Question: Do you throw a high lob pass (tap the button) or throw a high bullet pass (hold the button)?

I threw a high double tap button. That's always been my method. But, there's another thread going on specifically about fade routes and there are some that throw bullets. So, both work from what I understand. But, I feel the 'accurate floater' (double tap button) is the best for this + LB for high pass.

Post A Comment
Only OS members can post comments
Please login or register to post a comment.