Home
WWE 2K17 News Post

2K has just posted the WWE 2K17 Universe Mode details in a blog written by the designer, Cristo Kyriazis.

Quote:
If you’re not familiar with it, Universe Mode is an experience based on the WWE shows and events, with WWE Superstars competing against each other in rivalries and for championships, in settings where anything can happen all year round. Alongside the results you would expect to see on TV, we want players to also experience the “what-if” and fantasy scenarios that could happen in WWE. This could include things like a surprise underdog earning a title shot and winning the gold against the odds; a fan-favorite Superstar turning against the crowd and doing everything he or she can to make them hate him or her; or even watching tag team partners compete against each other to see if their comradery will endure the rivalry or if they’ll go their own separate ways.

What makes Universe Mode really stand out is the huge level of customization we support for the players who want to take control with their own ideas. You can create your own roster of WWE and custom Superstars, choose the championships they compete for, change up the shows and PPVs they compete on – or even create your own! The WWE 2K17 Creation Suite and Community Creations options unlock a huge level of potential for WWE Universe that are unlike anything else.

Read all about it here and post your thoughts.

WWE 2K17 screenshot gallery - Click to view WWE 2K17 screenshot gallery - Click to view WWE 2K17 screenshot gallery - Click to view WWE 2K17 screenshot gallery - Click to view
Game: WWE 2K17Reader Score: Vote Now
Platform: PC / PS3 / PS4 / Xbox 360 / Xbox OneVotes for game: 0 - View All
Member Comments
# 1 Reed1417 @ 09/27/16 10:38 AM
Looks like they made a lot of good changes. Shame we didn't get a breakdown of the promo engine though. I'm really excited now regardless.

Reed is comin' atcha!

# 2 jromero120 @ 09/27/16 11:13 AM
Looks awesome! Only thing I am curious about is what "Status Effects" means in the Superstar editing page.

# 3 Cowboy008 @ 09/27/16 11:33 AM
I'm disappointed with the blog. Since they didn't do a Showcase mode this year I thought that Universe mode would get a lot of attention but there was only minimal improvements to the mode.

# 4 Thrash13 @ 09/27/16 11:37 AM
As I've stated before, I've done very little in Universe Mode since the game debuted on PS4 a couple years ago. So everything will be pretty new to me this year, and it looks like they've added some good things to an already fun Universe Mode.

I'm excited to dive deep into the mode this year and have some fun!

# 5 redsox4evur @ 09/27/16 11:53 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cowboy008
I'm disappointed with the blog. Since they didn't do a Showcase mode this year I thought that Universe mode would get a lot of attention but there was only minimal improvements to the mode.
We shouldn't being these saying these things until we get this:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reed1417
Shame we didn't get a breakdown of the promo engine though.

# 6 CM Hooe @ 09/27/16 12:00 PM
As far as I can tell, in WWE 2K17:

- Smackdown is still on Thursday
- no brand split by default, you have to do it yourself
- no Universal title unless you create it
- no Smackdown Women's or tag titles unless you create them
- RAW and Smackdown have outdated presentation graphics
- Smackdown-specific PPVs like Backlash literally do not exist in the game unless you create them
- SD commentary team not in game
- Byron Saxton not on RAW commentary team
- Corey Graves not on RAW commentary team

Someone tell me why I should buy this again?

# 7 Cowboy008 @ 09/27/16 12:06 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by CM Hooe

- Smackdown-specific PPVs like Backlash literally do not exist in the game unless you create them

It was way too late in the cycle for them to include the brand split so I wasn't surprised that the changes Raw and Smackdown made didn't make it into the game.

The created Universal title, Smackdown Women's title, and the Smackdown tag titles actually look pretty good.

# 8 michaelhawj @ 09/27/16 12:18 PM
2k need to delay this game to have extra times for add things like this

# 9 BDKiiing @ 09/27/16 12:39 PM
Quote:

You don't have to buy it...

# 10 CM Hooe @ 09/27/16 12:41 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cowboy008
It was way too late in the cycle for them to include the brand split so I wasn't surprised that the changes Raw and Smackdown made didn't make it into the game.

The created Universal title, Smackdown Women's title, and the Smackdown tag titles actually look pretty good.
I'm sorry, but the "it's too late" excuse doesn't work for me anymore. Not when other sports games are updating their content year-round:

- every major team sports game has delivered free roster updates for years
- Madden NFL literally adds new commentary to the game every week
- Madden NFL and NBA 2K have delivered free cosmetic updates to team uniforms and arenas many times over the past several years
- EA Sports UFC has delivered a couple dozen free fighters into the game over the past two titles
- non-sports games such as Mortal Kombat X have delivered free character attire updates in addition to paid DLC characters (and MK X DLC characters are obviously more unique and labor-intensive to make than anything ever produced for WWE 2K, speaking to both assets and moveset / gameplay mechanics).

Even if the devs can't get 100% up-to-date on disk, fine, that's completely understandable. However, a live service component is requirement for entry for a AAA sports game nowadays. Every other sports game has one, I expect WWE 2K to have one at this point. Nevertheless, they don't, and WWE 2K has been out-of-date before we even get preview media for it for several years without recourse. The only way we ever get content updates is by paying extra for them and thanking 2K for the opportunity to give them money or by doing the work ourselves to get as close as we can with their robust but limited content creation toolset (not to mention using any custom content at all significantly increases load times).

I would speak to gameplay improvements for Universe to balance out my criticism, but as far as I can tell, there are none. The blog spent more time telling me how to fix for all the content that isn't there rather than telling me about what is new this year compared to the half-baked Universe experience which existed in WWE 2K16 and many years prior.

# 11 Gramps91 @ 09/27/16 01:11 PM
I like a lot of the changes but I want to know if tag teams will break up on their own. I don't like simulating 10 years into the future and still seeing New Day as a tag team.

# 12 redsox4evur @ 09/27/16 01:19 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by eaterofworlds888
I like a lot of the changes but I want to know if tag teams will break up on their own. I don't like simulating 10 years into the future and still seeing New Day as a tag team.
At this rate I still see New Day as champions 10 years later.

# 13 Mercury112491 @ 09/27/16 01:32 PM
How close the community can get to recreating the new sets is what's going to be the determining factor for me. Game looks like a lot fun. But not enough huge upgrades to get me to be a definite day 1 purchase

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

# 14 scottyp180 @ 09/27/16 01:37 PM
Quote:

I wouldn't be surprised if some things get patched in. I could see them updating things like show presentations and title belts. I could possibly see them releasing graphics and arenas for new ppvs as well.

No faith in them adding new commentary since this has been an area in need of improvement for as long as I can remember. Also not sure if they'd be able to release an update for the brand switch.

I'd atleast like them to discuss and address this issue publicly, if they haven't already. If they came out and said "unfortunately we do not have the assets or means to update these areas post release" I could forgive them a bit. But if they just flat out ignore the issue I'd be disappointed.

# 15 scottyp180 @ 09/27/16 01:46 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mercury112491
How close the community can get to recreating the new sets is what's going to be the determining factor for me. Game looks like a lot fun. But not enough huge upgrades to get me to be a definite day 1 purchase

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I'll have to play it before I purchase the game. The past two years I didn't even complete the showcases because I got bored with the gameplay too quickly.

Maybe this year will be different. The gameplay does look improved and a bit quicker overall but I'm not convinced it will result in a more enjoyable game. Luckily I have a friend that buys the game day 1 every year. I'll just give it a try once he gets the game.

# 16 SmashMan @ 09/27/16 02:01 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by scottyp180
I wouldn't be surprised if some things get patched in.
I really don't see what they've done for 2K15 or 2K16 that would give you this idea. They'll address bugs or glitches in updates but adding content isn't really their thing.

Quote:
I'd atleast like them to discuss and address this issue publicly, if they haven't already. If they came out and said "unfortunately we do not have the assets or means to update these areas post release" I could forgive them a bit. But if they just flat out ignore the issue I'd be disappointed.
They generally (with the exception of the Four Horsewomen news last year) stay quiet on things. Easily one of the most closed-in development teams around today.

---

As it is, Universe mode info sounds...who knows? They spent a third of the blog explaining how to set up a PPV, when that's been in for years.

# 17 Bard @ 09/27/16 03:02 PM
Pretty bummed out. Not much added in outside intros and promos. I'll miss the real superstars, but the CAWs will appear better...I understand that move.

Just underwhelming is all, still excited!

# 18 AirJordanFan93 @ 09/27/16 05:29 PM
Not all the excited with that they added. Really only seems like they made some interface changes and have made it so you have to play through a match card in order now. I doubt rivalries will work since they have never worked like they are meant to. The biggest issue I have is they have always been way too focused on adding cosmetic things to the mode and enhancing the customization. It is nice they added the promo feature into the mode since it makes it more realistic to have promos throughout your show and not just 6-7 matches one after the other. But maybe I am just disappointed because unless your spending hours booking stuff on your own the AI logic in the mode has been poor for a very long time and it never gets improved upon.

# 19 jvalverde88 @ 09/27/16 06:11 PM
This blog didn't really tell us much about Universe mode and like SmashMan said they spent most of it talking about how to set up PPVs and titles, really?

With it being made by 2K you would expect the blog to be much better.

# 20 mosdef328 @ 09/27/16 06:18 PM
Looking forward to see what guys like Smack Talks on Youtube have to say. Apparently they can start discussing a whole bunch of stuff on Friday because they have played the complete game. As a whole the blog was underwhelming. Didn't see any good changes apart from the fact that it looks different. I really want a dev to do a detailed breakdown of Universe mode so I know how to take full advantage of it and avoid ridiculous bugs and glitches that have been in for years. I was really hoping for a way to customize rivalries so the outcome is predetermined, you know like in the real WWE

« Previous12Next »

Post A Comment
Only OS members can post comments
Please login or register to post a comment.