Home
WWE 2K17 News Post

2K has just posted the WWE 2K17 Universe Mode details in a blog written by the designer, Cristo Kyriazis.

Quote:
If you’re not familiar with it, Universe Mode is an experience based on the WWE shows and events, with WWE Superstars competing against each other in rivalries and for championships, in settings where anything can happen all year round. Alongside the results you would expect to see on TV, we want players to also experience the “what-if” and fantasy scenarios that could happen in WWE. This could include things like a surprise underdog earning a title shot and winning the gold against the odds; a fan-favorite Superstar turning against the crowd and doing everything he or she can to make them hate him or her; or even watching tag team partners compete against each other to see if their comradery will endure the rivalry or if they’ll go their own separate ways.

What makes Universe Mode really stand out is the huge level of customization we support for the players who want to take control with their own ideas. You can create your own roster of WWE and custom Superstars, choose the championships they compete for, change up the shows and PPVs they compete on – or even create your own! The WWE 2K17 Creation Suite and Community Creations options unlock a huge level of potential for WWE Universe that are unlike anything else.

Read all about it here and post your thoughts.

WWE 2K17 screenshot gallery - Click to view WWE 2K17 screenshot gallery - Click to view WWE 2K17 screenshot gallery - Click to view WWE 2K17 screenshot gallery - Click to view
Game: WWE 2K17Reader Score: Vote Now
Platform: PC / PS3 / PS4 / Xbox 360 / Xbox OneVotes for game: 0 - View All
Member Comments
# 21 Cowboy008 @ 09/27/16 06:24 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by mosdef328
Looking forward to see what guys like Smack Talks on Youtube have to say. Apparently they can start discussing a whole bunch of stuff on Friday because they have played the complete game. As a whole the blog was underwhelming. Didn't see any good changes apart from the fact that it looks different. I really want a dev to do a detailed breakdown of Universe mode so I know how to take full advantage of it and avoid ridiculous bugs and glitches that have been in for years. I was really hoping for a way to customize rivalries so the outcome is predetermined, you know like in the real WWE
Videos will be coming out tomorrow by a bunch of Youtubers. One of them said that they will have stuff on the Promo engine and Universe mode. Not sure if that will be the first video or not but it will be shown at some point.

# 22 AirJordanFan93 @ 09/27/16 09:38 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by jvalverde88
This blog didn't really tell us much about Universe mode and like SmashMan said they spent most of it talking about how to set up PPVs and titles, really?

With it being made by 2K you would expect the blog to be much better.
These blogs compared to the NBA2K ones are so inferior. Given how detailed MyLeague is in NBA2K I would like to see Universe get a similar treatment but I doubt that will ever happen.

# 23 TigerBotHesh_23 @ 09/27/16 09:50 PM
The updates are great for the way I prefer to play Universe Mode. If Rivals don't have to wrestle each other each week and rivalries will continue even if I edit a match that'd be icing on the cake.

# 24 SmashMan @ 09/28/16 03:02 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by jvalverde88
This blog didn't really tell us much about Universe mode and like SmashMan said they spent most of it talking about how to set up PPVs and titles, really?

With it being made by 2K you would expect the blog to be much better.
I just don't know what they see Universe mode as. You can see by the effort and options that NBA2K puts into MyLeague stuff that they see it as a big sandbox for us to tweak whatever people want. Do they want Universe to be a booking simulator mode or a "watch what we put together" thing. They give you some tools to customize but not enough to do whatever you want. There's no point to anything...like real-life Raw, I guess. Maybe bring back overall show star ratings. Then people could kinda fake their way through a Raw vs Smackdown "ratings" rivalry.

I'm not expecting (or even asking for) Total Extreme Wrestling-level depth, but there's not much more being shown here in year three of 2K influence. Same rivalry setup, same title slot restrictions (not a personal issue of mine, but I've seen a lot of complaints), same calendar scheduling (why not a PPV on any night we want?). Throwing an NXT event on a Sunday isn't some gamebreaking issue, but why even restrict it? If they're going to let us customize, let us customize.

And as much as it gets swept up as a "they just didn't have time" thing, not having the new sets and titles is a big issue. Can we download custom titles from Community Creations? Sure, but why should we have to? Why is "that's the way it's always been" still a valid reason to explain away how behind the times WWE games are? New sets and belts debuted in July and August. Can't make launch because they're pressing hard to finish the game? Cool. Totally understand. They can't be added as DLC at all because they weren't in the plans when they locked every single piece of content in back in April? Come on...

Why am I up at 2am typing this much about this game?

# 25 jvalverde88 @ 09/28/16 03:44 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by SmashMan
I just don't know what they see Universe mode as. You can see by the effort and options that NBA2K puts into MyLeague stuff that they see it as a big sandbox for us to tweak whatever people want. Do they want Universe to be a booking simulator mode or a "watch what we put together" thing. They give you some tools to customize but not enough to do whatever you want. There's no point to anything...like real-life Raw, I guess. Maybe bring back overall show star ratings. Then people could kinda fake their way through a Raw vs Smackdown "ratings" rivalry.

I'm not expecting (or even asking for) Total Extreme Wrestling-level depth, but there's not much more being shown here in year three of 2K influence. Same rivalry setup, same title slot restrictions (not a personal issue of mine, but I've seen a lot of complaints), same calendar scheduling (why not a PPV on any night we want?). Throwing an NXT event on a Sunday isn't some gamebreaking issue, but why even restrict it? If they're going to let us customize, let us customize.

And as much as it gets swept up as a "they just didn't have time" thing, not having the new sets and titles is a big issue. Can we download custom titles from Community Creations? Sure, but why should we have to? Why is "that's the way it's always been" still a valid reason to explain away how behind the times WWE games are? New sets and belts debuted in July and August. Can't make launch because they're pressing hard to finish the game? Cool. Totally understand. They can't be added as DLC at all because they weren't in the plans when they locked every single piece of content in back in April? Come on...

Why am I up at 2am typing this much about this game?
This right here is why I couldn't get far in a universe mode in 2K16. I didn't mind throwing a NXT PPV on a Sunday but it would throw the rivalries out of whack (sometimes I wouldn't get a single rivalry cutscene) I'm going to be very disappointed if we can't do a Takeover on a weekday.

It's very sad that a game based on a genre of entertainment that heavily relies on creativity is still lacking in options that allow you to try to replicate some of the things that you see in pro wrestling. Oh and they better have fixed the location glitch where I put a show to be based on one city but it would still say a different city.

# 26 AirJordanFan93 @ 09/28/16 03:45 AM
Quote:
I really don't see what they've done for 2K15 or 2K16 that would give you this idea. They'll address bugs or glitches in updates but adding content isn't really their thing.

They generally (with the exception of the Four Horsewomen news last year) stay quiet on things. Easily one of the most closed-in development teams around today.

---

As it is, Universe mode info sounds...who knows? They spent a third of the blog explaining how to set up a PPV, when that's been in for years.
Content updates have never been a thing for WWE games. I assumed when 2K picked up the license that they would implement it given what they do with NBA2K and all the updates they provide through an NBA season. Yet 3 years in they have yet to do such a thing and I doubt they ever will at this point. The fact the game is several months outdated by release year after year is just a huge pain. Still least it wont be as outdated as Smackdown vs. Raw 2010 was.

# 27 IowaAJ @ 09/28/16 08:24 AM
I guess I'm the only one who enjoyed the blog. I'm happy to see multiple save universes. Also I like the fact that the commentary and presentation will be better. I'm intrigued by the Promo's because the WWE is all about those. I mean is it disappointing they don't have the brand split but it's super simple to create.

# 28 truckstick30 @ 09/28/16 09:49 AM
I think the little additions added this year are good. It's still an improvement, not a major improvement like i was hoping for when they announced they'd drop showcase to focus more on universe and mycareer. I'm banking on the mycareer mode this year. I do think the blog focused too much on telling us how to make the game more up to date by creating everything. I dont see why they cant just add a couple more belts and at least 2 new arenas in an update, it seems like it'd be so simple for a company as big as 2k but i have no idea i guess

# 29 Nature_Boy @ 09/28/16 10:23 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by CM Hooe
As far as I can tell, in WWE 2K17:

- Smackdown is still on Thursday
- no brand split by default, you have to do it yourself
- no Universal title unless you create it
- no Smackdown Women's or tag titles unless you create them
- RAW and Smackdown have outdated presentation graphics
- Smackdown-specific PPVs like Backlash literally do not exist in the game unless you create them
- SD commentary team not in game
- Byron Saxton not on RAW commentary team
- Corey Graves not on RAW commentary team

Someone tell me why I should buy this again?
I already have this paid off at GameStop. I am really having second thoughts on spending 60 bucks on a game that's hugely outdated right out of the box.

# 30 AirJordanFan93 @ 09/28/16 06:58 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by truckstick30
I think the little additions added this year are good. It's still an improvement, not a major improvement like i was hoping for when they announced they'd drop showcase to focus more on universe and mycareer. I'm banking on the mycareer mode this year. I do think the blog focused too much on telling us how to make the game more up to date by creating everything. I dont see why they cant just add a couple more belts and at least 2 new arenas in an update, it seems like it'd be so simple for a company as big as 2k but i have no idea i guess
I think a lot of the lack of content updates in these games the last 10 years is more down to Yukes than either THQ and 2K. Since Yukes is the common thread between the two companies I think it is more to do with them than either the US companies. Im sure if 2K dropped Yukes when they got the license and handed the WWE license off to Visual Concepts then I doubt we would be here discussing how out of date the game is year in,year out.

# 31 woodjer @ 09/30/16 04:08 PM
So...what am I missing with the whole brand split sidebar in this article? Can't all of the things that he outlines be done in 2k16? Of course, the ability to have multiple universes is nice but I'm just confused about the brand split stuff.

I really wish he would have covered the Promo stuff more because that seems like the biggest change in this year's version.

# 32 Reed1417 @ 09/30/16 05:12 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by woodjer
So...what am I missing with the whole brand split sidebar in this article? Can't all of the things that he outlines be done in 2k16? Of course, the ability to have multiple universes is nice but I'm just confused about the brand split stuff.

I really wish he would have covered the Promo stuff more because that seems like the biggest change in this year's version.
I've seen videos of the promo engine and it looks like it's really simple to understand. It's all pre made text based but that opens up options for lots of lines without repeats. CMPulse has a video, DenkOps has one too. So those are places to look if you haven't seen it in action yet.

Reed is comin' atcha!

# 33 d23x @ 09/30/16 08:02 PM
I think the game will be really good, just way too outdated for my liking. Would be nice if they could add the new arenas/logos through dlc. I'd probably even pay because these are too much of an eye sore.

# 34 SmashMan @ 09/30/16 11:11 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by woodjer

Yes, everything outlined there can be done in 2K16. There actually wasn't much mentioned that wasn't already in the game.

As Reed mentioned, there are some videos of the promo scenes out there. I don't have the link handy because I'm on my ipad, but the top sticky on the WWE2K forums has links to a bunch of stuff that's come out.

# 35 jvalverde88 @ 10/01/16 03:08 AM
I saw a video showing the promo feature in universe mode and I gotta say it really adds alot to universe mode. Now hopefully they fixed some the universe mode glitches I hate because if so this the first time sense SVR's GM mode where I'm heavily invested in a WWE game.

# 36 SmashMan @ 10/01/16 04:15 AM
Yeah, the promo thing seems decent. Obviously depends on how many lines they have written but with the different combos you can string together it should add some lasting power to Universe this year. The only thing I wasn't sure of from videos was if we could button through to the next line, because they seemed to stay on screen for a while. Or I just read too quickly?

# 37 Reed1417 @ 10/01/16 05:12 PM
Quote:
Yeah, the promo thing seems decent. Obviously depends on how many lines they have written but with the different combos you can string together it should add some lasting power to Universe this year. The only thing I wasn't sure of from videos was if we could button through to the next line, because they seemed to stay on screen for a while. Or I just read too quickly?
Yeah i know how you feel man! So i found a video by Tony the Pizza guy that shows a few promos. So here's the link for those who want to see it.
https://youtu.be/JZeO09w9aXE

Reed is comin' atcha!

# 38 bababooey76 @ 10/02/16 10:29 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by TigerBotHesh_23
The updates are great for the way I prefer to play Universe Mode. If Rivals don't have to wrestle each other each week and rivalries will continue even if I edit a match that'd be icing on the cake.
Yes. It appears that there will also be random run ins that will not always be related to a current rivalry like it was in 2k15. That was the main thing lacking for me in 2k16, that and no Hollywood Hogan.

« Previous 12Next »

Post A Comment
Only OS members can post comments
Please login or register to post a comment.