Home
NBA 2K17 News Post

The three point basket has changed how the game of basketball is played -- and as recently as last year, a revolution on how teams approach the shot has really taken hold throughout the NBA.

NBA 2K has understandably had a bit of difficulty in keeping up with a game that is changing before our very eyes at times. At what point are three pointers too easy vs. at what point are they unrealistically hard?

And how do you strike that balance?

I have noticed quite a bit of chatter on three-pointers in NBA 2K17 over the last couple of weeks, with many of the complaints seemingly coming down on the "they're too easy to convert" side of the debate.

It's possible that is the case, but its also possible how you are shooting the three ball could depend on which team you are using, what player you are shooting with, what mode you are playing in, and any other number of factors.

On a personal anecdotal level, I played four games of NBA 2K17 recently and averaged 40.4% from behind the three point arc with the OKC Thunder. In real life the Thunder are hitting 34.5% -- but I'm also playing with a different personnel set at this point. The Spurs lead the league at 39.9% from behind the arc and the league wide average has hovered around the 35% mark for years now.

So technically we should expect to see the three point shots we take consolidate around that sort of an average.

But I'm not so sure there's a singular answer here. Could threes be too easy for certain types of shooters and not nearly easy enough for others? Are you finding that universally three point shooting percentages are too high? Too low? Are they just about right?

Sound off in the comments about your own experiences with three pointers in NBA 2K17!

Game: NBA 2K17Reader Score: 7/10 - Vote Now
Platform: PC / PS3 / PS4 / Xbox 360 / Xbox OneVotes for game: 14 - View All
Member Comments
# 41 DomandBix @ 11/30/16 11:36 PM
I dont have aa issue with A Sharpshooter Making Every Wide Open 3 They Shoot, any G shooter In T nba Will Make A 3 With No Run Out Or Contest Whatsoever. When make A Player And Go To The Park playing A Arcade Gane Of Sorts And Whatever Y specialty Is Y should Excel At.
I do Have A Major Issue With The % On Contested 3's In My Park And The Stretch Bigs Other Abilities Seem A Bit Excessive. I think Things Are Pretty Well Balanced As Far As Park Goes. 3 Sharpshooting SG's vs. 3 Slashers/Athletic Finishers In Park will Not Always Go To The Sharpshooters, probably The Other Way All Things Equal But In The End Skill And Teamwork Will Dictate That Matchup Which Is How It Should Be

# 42 jyoung @ 11/30/16 11:44 PM
Quote:
I thought we had this discusssion and settled it years ago. The court and models are properly sized.
Mike Wang has confirmed that multiple times over the years on this forum. The dimensions of 2K's courts and 2K's player models are scaled to their real life equivalents.

The primary problems that make 2K's courts feel too small during gameplay have to do with the player speeds being too fast and the pass speeds/animations being to slow.

# 43 Jrocc23 @ 11/30/16 11:45 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by DomandBix
I dont have aa issue with A Sharpshooter Making Every Wide Open 3 They Shoot,

I'll never understand. Worries me about the future of 2K.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

# 44 Optimus James @ 11/30/16 11:51 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jordanmike6
No no no no we had this discussion but you settled it not me totally because for 2k14 on next gen, operationsports themselves said that court were too small and for my part the court have been the same since 2k14!!
And i read a lot of people who think the court is still too small.
You gotta be a fumbling klutz running out of bounds if you think the court aint big enough.

My guess is you just wanna throw full court passes down court every possession. I dont trust anybody complaining about the court size anymore.

# 45 Smirkin Dirk @ 12/01/16 12:22 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by jyoung
Mike Wang has confirmed that multiple times over the years on this forum. The dimensions of 2K's courts and 2K's player models are scaled to their real life equivalents.

The primary problems that make 2K's courts feel too small during gameplay have to do with the player speeds being too fast and the pass speeds/animations being to slow.
And many of the animations taking up too much space on the court.

A simple behind the back move can take 3-5 feet of space.

# 46 iTofu @ 12/01/16 01:59 AM
I think this is a difficult issue to address without talking about each game mode separately -or- at least MyCareer/ProAm/Park seperately.

In MyCareer the archetypes are designed to have an average to below average player with one talent, except at specific talent he's the greatest (or close to) to ever play. He's Tony Allen binging on HGH and winning every DPOY, he's Dennis Scott except he shoots better, he's smaller Magic Johnson with less defense and no rebounding, and so on. For most of the archetypes it's a struggle finding comps because players with rare talent are typically more well rounded.

So of course online there will be balance issues, it's not the game itself it's the archetypes. Not only are sharpshooters out of this world shooters, the people playing D are below average defenders because few want to play Tony Allen on offense. One s***y defensive archetype and a slew of offensive ones. Truthfully, they're all broken, but setting 3 picks up top and running around until your open requires the least brain power.

I have less experience in other modes, but the experience I have had with real NBA players has been satisfactory so far.

# 47 hokimkim @ 12/01/16 06:10 AM
I'm pro 2k in the court size issue.

What's the benefit of making it smaller or bigger than real life? Only if one day court size is related to VC, otherwise, i don't see the point.

# 48 Gosens6 @ 12/01/16 07:23 AM
The court size in 2k is to accurate scale. There shouldn't even be a discussion about it at this point lol

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk

# 49 hanzsomehanz @ 12/01/16 01:34 PM
Quote:
The distance between the logo and the paint doesn't need to be shoot in the same angle to show that there is more space to put a big shoe.
Try to make a zoom you will see what i mean.

Whatever the angle, you can't see the difference between the mark of the paint, or if the inner half circle is smaller than the reality. But the space between the paint and the logo is easily visible.

And to come back to the comparison with modern video game court to the modern court in reality, Bulls 96 court pic comes from 2k16 game and the size is the same than a modern court. So i think it is a good example.

I'm studying the 2k12 2001 kings, i don't know why i thought of this team, maybe because 2k previded us to use it, i find it suspect, so much suspect that NBA changed a lot of paint, the "modern paint", to cover up the tracks.
We can see the same difference than for the bulls between the logo and the paint.

For the modern court the only difference i found are the word stretched by 2k on the sideline. For example for the magic you can see in real life, "FANDUEL" but in the game it is still written, "orlando magic".
You say the logos are the same size but I disagree.

Look at the baseline font for Chicago Bulls.

The font is larger in real life compared to 2k in respect to how everything is formatted together.
Quote:
Thank you for your answer!!!
The size of the logos are the same on the 3 pics! only the place is different.
Everybody knows that the court of 2k are too small!!
When i'm trying to compare the modern video game court to the modern court in reality i find nothing!
But when i watch the 2nd pic of the video "how to run a triangle offense" it stings my eyes!!
Watch the gap between the paint and the logo in real compare to 2k!! it is huge, you can put a shoes of Shaquille Oneal, not in 2k!
I think it is one of the biggest clue we can't overlooked!!
Again, the logo size is impairing your judgment.

The 2k logo looks narrower than the real life Kings logo.

The font and logo size differences do not prove that the video game court is not formatted to fit NBA regulations.

A computer program with ability to scale to fit technology would prove how accurate the video game court is to real life otherwise what you're doing is speculating and pushing an agenda with no concrete proof.

Again, I'm open to the idea that the court is smaller than NBA regulates but these photos do not convince me that this is the case.

You see on the Bulls court comparison that the baseline font is clearly not the same so same can be said for the logos. Some of the video games court logos are too small or too large and are thus not occupying the right amount of space.

As you said yourself, these are the two courts that stood out to you. You couldn't find any clear discrepancies in other photos. It could very well be the font and logo sizes that are impairing your judgment but you're already convinced the courts are not equal in size.

You say the logos are the same size but do you know what you mean by that? I can clearly see in the Kings court that the 2k Kings logo is much narrower. It's possible to have the right size t shirt and the wrong size logos. Does it hurt the authenticity? Sure it does but so long as the 3pt line is the appropriate distance and the paint is the appropriate size and the court length is appropriate: it becomes a small matter of attention to detail after that. I saw numerous things off in the Bulls court but nothing that told me straight away the court is 2-5 inches smaller or 2-5 ft smaller than real life.

In your opinion, how much smaller is the court to you based on the Bulls and Kings comparisons? Based on your observations, what do you have charted that needs to be adjusted to reflect the video game court authentically matches the NBA court?

*The Kings logo should also be starting lower in the first block of the paint beginning with the first left point side of the crown. By accurately lowering the position of this logo you're able to push it back away more from the paint as you have more space between the paint and 3pt line there. In the right position your case would weaken because your basing your conclusion on how open space is used / created.

Sent from my SM-T330NU using Tapatalk

# 50 awg811 @ 12/01/16 05:06 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by hanzsomehanz

The font is larger in real life compared to 2k in respect to how everything is formatted together.

The font and logo size differences do not prove that the video game court is not formatted to fit NBA regulations.

A computer program with ability to scale to fit technology would prove how accurate the video game court is to real life otherwise what you're doing is speculating and pushing an agenda with no concrete proof.

Again, I'm open to the idea that the court is smaller than NBA regulates but these photos do not convince me that this is the case.

You see on the Bulls court comparison that the baseline font is clearly not the same so same can be said for the logos. Some of the video games court logos are too small or too large and are thus not occupying the right amount of space.

As you said yourself, these are the two courts that stood out to you. You couldn't find any clear discrepancies in other photos. It could very well be the font and logo sizes that are impairing your judgment but you're already convinced the courts are not equal in size.

You say the logos are the same size but do you know what you mean by that? I can clearly see in the Kings court that the 2k Kings logo is much narrower. It's possible to have the right size t shirt and the wrong size logos. Does it hurt the authenticity? Sure it does but so long as the 3pt line is the appropriate distance and the paint is the appropriate size and the court length is appropriate: it becomes a small matter of attention to detail after that. I saw numerous things off in the Bulls court but nothing that told me straight away the court is 2-5 inches smaller or 2-5 ft smaller than real life.

In your opinion, how much smaller is the court to you based on the Bulls and Kings comparisons? Based on your observations, what do you have charted that needs to be adjusted to reflect the video game court authentically matches the NBA court?

*The Kings logo should also be starting lower in the first block of the paint beginning with the first left point side of the crown. By accurately lowering the position of this logo you're able to push it back away more from the paint as you have more space between the paint and 3pt line there. In the right position your case would weaken because your basing your conclusion on how open space is used / created.

My opinion is, regardless of court size, player speed it too fast.
This is especially noticeable on close outs.
Someone should not be able to be standing under the rim when I catch the ball in 3pt range and be able to close out and contest the shot before I can release it.

# 51 Black Bruce Wayne @ 12/01/16 09:38 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Smirkin Dirk
What are you seeing in your season BBW?
Well its subjective. In my Myleague I set the CPUs 3point slider to 50. However the contact shot is set to 30, so good defense usually shuts them down. As far as wide open, the CPU makes them if the player shooting is actually good. For example terrible shooting big men who attempt 3s have no chance. Its fairly balanced for me.

# 52 Black Bruce Wayne @ 12/01/16 09:40 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by GuwopGeezus
More than ever is still accurate. I think 1995 is when they moved the 3 point line in so percentages went up for a couple years.
Its insane what some real NBA players are shooting from 3. I thought 40% was great but you see guys in the 50s. Thats amazing to me

# 53 UravenzownU @ 12/01/16 10:52 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jrocc23

I'll never understand. Worries me about the future of 2K.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Exactly, its gotten way to mainstream, to many casual non basketball playing/watching players now, missed it back in the day when everyone that played were hardcore basketball fans

# 54 MavsManiac4Life @ 12/01/16 11:14 PM
I don't think so at all. I played the Cavs vs Clips game earlier today and shot like 3-10 with JR Smith. I think I made 18/44 threes, hot to start, cold in the 2nd and 3rd, then I made 7 in the 4th I think. It just flowed. In a game before against Philly, I think I made 5 with JR, I really like that it just seems up to chance in a way, guys will be hot and cold. The one thing I don't like is people like Luc Mbah Moute STILL pulling up for 3s on fast breaks.

# 55 Smirkin Dirk @ 12/01/16 11:23 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by MavsManiac4Life
The one thing I don't like is people like Luc Mbah Moute STILL pulling up for 3s on fast breaks.
I agree this shouldn't happen out of the box. But it is fixed by lowering pull up in transition tendency for these types of player.

# 56 Jordanmike6 @ 12/02/16 06:26 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by hanzsomehanz

if you think 2k logo looks narrower, it reflects my view, because i take the real logo, and i put it on 2k, it will be worst and at this moment, it would be clear that the size court is too short!!

Don't use the letter of the baseline. Of course it is smaller than the reality (i have ever seen that....) and it is too difficult to study.

I think the 3 pt line is not at 23.9 but maybe 23.5 or maybe less.
Of course it is impossible to mesure, it is a feeling, and yes, i'm not the only one, this small small small difference is choking a lot of people every year!!
And you haven't got the proof to tell me that it is 23.9!!

http://www.operationsports.com/featu...e-of-nba-2k14/

"The court size feels too small when compared to the players' proportions and their movement speed."

IMO it is too easy to say that movment speed is no good!
Remember 2k14, it was disgusting!
But From what i have seen 2k didn't change the size court in 2k17. This is why i'm still thinking it.

# 57 jWILL253 @ 12/05/16 12:07 AM
I think the issue is more about balance, defensive AI issues, and tendencies being out of wack.

2K17 gives a boost for players being super open, so even mediocre shooters will get a boost by the CPU if you back off them. The defensive AI issues add to this problem, as rotating & collapsing defenders will leave a player wide open, even if there was nothing to cause that rotation.

There's also way too many shots being taken. In 2K17, the AI of every team plays like the Warriors, regardless of personnel or ability. I once played a game in my MyGM run through against the Cavs, and Kyrie Irving shot 20 3's, made 13 of them.

« Previous 123Next »

Post A Comment
Only OS members can post comments
Please login or register to post a comment.