Home
MLB The Show 17 News Post

Polygon has posted a new MLB The Show 17 article on the improved player faces and lighting we will see in the game this year. These improvements will also be seen in Road to the Show, as the team has bumped up from 17 heads to over 40.

Quote:
It's all about the lighting on the faces, how light affects the skin tone and how light affects the skin tone when it's being shadowed by a ballcap," Russell said. "The lighting we had last year wasn't perfect, and we were basically dimming everything and giving you too much energy from nowhere, for a guy with a ballcap on. Now in real life, if you have a ballcap on, that shadow is being created, but you still have light energy coming from the ground.

They have also included a couple of screenshots showing off the faces of Clayton Kershaw and José Altuve from MLB The Show 16 vs. MLB The Show 17.

Game: MLB The Show 17Hype Score: 9/10 - Vote Now
Platform: PS4Votes for game: 36 - View All
Member Comments
# 1 adh5199 @ 02/14/17 09:11 AM
Freaking wow!!! I love the Dev team.

Sent from my iPhone using Operation Sports

# 2 Willis135 @ 02/14/17 09:11 AM
"Note, the image on the right is not some PlayStation 4 Pro-only version"

So glad to get confirmation that the images we are seeing are not PS4 pro only images

# 3 tree3five @ 02/14/17 09:12 AM
Kershaw looks awesome. And the gold necklace has a more realistic look to it compared to last year.

# 4 adh5199 @ 02/14/17 09:15 AM
The H on Altuve's hat actually looks like white embroidered thread. It has a 3D pop to it.

# 5 adh5199 @ 02/14/17 09:17 AM
Look at Kershaw's eyes. He has a soul in there if that makes sense.

# 6 adh5199 @ 02/14/17 09:19 AM
Can anyone from the Dev team say if the same skin lighting technology has been applied to the crowd at all? I know you don't always see them, but they are in a few of the zoomed in pitcher shots.

# 7 Cory4AU @ 02/14/17 09:24 AM
Man it looks awesome! It's going to take March 28th forever to get here.

# 8 tnixen @ 02/14/17 09:57 AM
Honestly the upgraded faces in MLB The Show 17 are so good it makes MLB The Show 16 faces look like they are from PS3 version

Player faces in 17 on PS4 finally look next gen!!!

Maybe not up to NBA 2K standards but there getting there

# 9 BirdlandBenji8 @ 02/14/17 10:06 AM
I thought I saw where Ramone posted that the faces aren't updated with new facescans, they just updated the lighting to make it look better and that they did. It's crazy how such a small detail can take the game to the next level

# 10 ShowTyme15 @ 02/14/17 10:11 AM
Like someone mentioned earlier logos on hats actually look 3Dish/stitched on like real life which is good to see.

Faces are on par with next gen for sure now. Facial hair looks a lot better now as well.

# 11 baseball_fever @ 02/14/17 10:25 AM
Incredible work by the dev team! These are the faces we have been waiting for since the game hit the PS4. The only issue is, it's going to make it tough to play The Show 16 for the next month and a half after seeing these new faces. I can't go back to seeing the old Lindor and Thor...(and about 200 other players)

# 12 Cowboy008 @ 02/14/17 10:33 AM
The player models look great this year. I wonder for those who play franchise mode if the generated players will look just as good?

# 13 Aensland @ 02/14/17 10:33 AM
lol so much for MLB 17 looking exactly the same as 16.

I'll admit, those facial improvements look a lot better than what I was expecting.

# 14 countryboy @ 02/14/17 10:40 AM
The faces look absolutely amazing!

# 15 Scott @ 02/14/17 10:41 AM
Huge improvement, really looking forward to getting my hands on this game.

# 16 The Kid 24 @ 02/14/17 10:43 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by ShowTyme15
Like someone mentioned earlier logos on hats actually look 3Dish/stitched on like real life which is good to see.

Faces are on par with next gen for sure now. Facial hair looks a lot better now as well.
Dodger blue color looks so much better!

I wonder if this amazing work the fellas are doing will help with Red Sox red jersey, Pirates black jersey, etc.?

# 17 Russell_SCEA @ 02/14/17 10:51 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by BirdlandBenji8
I thought I saw where Ramone posted that the faces aren't updated with new facescans, they just updated the lighting to make it look better and that they did. It's crazy how such a small detail can take the game to the next level
They aren't non of players freatued in the side-by-sides have new face scans. I'll talk about it more at IGN in a few hours.

# 18 tnixen @ 02/14/17 11:36 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Russell_SCEA
They aren't non of players freatued in the side-by-sides have new face scans. I'll talk about it more at IGN in a few hours.
Russell any chance you guys can make the number on the front of player jerseys higher to match real life? As you can see in these 4 example photos the front number should be higher and closer to the team name. This affects all team jerseys with numbers on the front.

It's a pretty big difference so if it's to late for 17 Which I am guessing it is then please fix it for 18

Thanks you guys are the best!

# 19 Stolm @ 02/14/17 12:00 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Russell_SCEA
Is the IGN interview live like last year, or will it come out at a later date?

# 20 tnixen @ 02/14/17 12:05 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stolm
Is the IGN interview live like last year, or will it come out at a later date?
I hope it will be archived.

« Previous1234567Next »

Post A Comment
Only OS members can post comments
Please login or register to post a comment.