Home
MLB The Show 17 News Post

Polygon has posted a new MLB The Show 17 article on the improved player faces and lighting we will see in the game this year. These improvements will also be seen in Road to the Show, as the team has bumped up from 17 heads to over 40.

Quote:
It's all about the lighting on the faces, how light affects the skin tone and how light affects the skin tone when it's being shadowed by a ballcap," Russell said. "The lighting we had last year wasn't perfect, and we were basically dimming everything and giving you too much energy from nowhere, for a guy with a ballcap on. Now in real life, if you have a ballcap on, that shadow is being created, but you still have light energy coming from the ground.

They have also included a couple of screenshots showing off the faces of Clayton Kershaw and José Altuve from MLB The Show 16 vs. MLB The Show 17.

Game: MLB The Show 17Hype Score: 9/10 - Vote Now
Platform: PS4Votes for game: 36 - View All
Member Comments
# 21 CoiaNY @ 02/14/17 12:06 PM
Good lord... its incredible how much these faces have improved. Well done SDS, cheers

# 22 Turbojugend @ 02/14/17 12:08 PM
Man, SDS is killin' it this year. I'm always happy with whatever they put out, but 17 addresses a lot of the issues I've had over the years. I cannot wait to get my hands on this.

# 23 Speedy @ 02/14/17 12:33 PM
Holy cow...Altuve's eyes look so life like now.

# 24 tnixen @ 02/14/17 12:38 PM
Better zoomed in look and WOW what an improvement!!!

And I wonder how much better if any this will look on the PS4 Pro?

Man if we get HDR and Native 4K/60 wow look out!!!!

# 25 Armor and Sword @ 02/14/17 01:00 PM
Not sure of the answer but with Y2Y saves will all my official SCEA players update to the new faces, models etc?

Like for example Francisco Lindor. Will I get the updated Lindor on 17 on my 16 franchise I am transferring over? Will I get these awesome face scans? Updated equipment etc?

The new faces are looking incredible.

# 26 tnixen @ 02/14/17 01:04 PM
I was just wondering will only the big name stars have the much improved faces or will a lot of the lesser known players also get facelifts?

Like bench players and so on?

# 27 Jeter2 @ 02/14/17 01:08 PM
Even the chain on Kershaw's neck looks more realistic. Well Done fellas

# 28 thaSLAB @ 02/14/17 01:08 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by tnixen
I was just wondering will only the big name stars have the much improved faces or will a lot of the lesser known players also get face lifts?
It's the rendering of the faces that give the improved results. So anyone with a face scan will look as improved.

For example, Altuve, Kershaw are the existing scans for those players.

Created players should look better in general, as well.

Sent from my htc 10 using Tapatalk

# 29 Caulfield @ 02/14/17 01:11 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by tree3five
Attachment 131098

Who broked Kershaws nose?

# 30 baseball_fever @ 02/14/17 01:20 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Armor and Sword
Not sure of the answer but with Y2Y saves will all my official SCEA players update to the new faces, models etc?

Like for example Francisco Lindor. Will I get the updated Lindor on 17 on my 16 franchise I am transferring over? Will I get these awesome face scans? Updated equipment etc?

I was wondering this exact same thing!

# 31 Caulfield @ 02/14/17 01:25 PM
Quote:

I'm about 101% positive your Lindors and Kershaws and Altuves will have improved faces but the equipment I cant even venture a guess.

# 32 MetsFan16 @ 02/14/17 01:26 PM
Jaw has dropped each time I look at these side-by-side comparisons.

These improvements effect every player in the game... This game is going to look unbelievable. Coming off '16 which was a good looking game in its own right.

# 33 viperman240 @ 02/14/17 02:01 PM
If these are just the faces with new skin tones and other effects, I can't wait to see the faces that also got an updated face scan.

Great work SDS!

# 34 jimmy13 @ 02/14/17 02:35 PM
Omg this looks amazing. Hope it's not just for pa4 pro

# 35 Willis135 @ 02/14/17 02:40 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimmy13
Omg this looks amazing. Hope it's not just for pa4 pro
"Note, the image on the right is not some PlayStation 4 Pro-only version"

This is from an interview with Ramone( I think it was Ramone)

# 36 Russell_SCEA @ 02/14/17 02:59 PM
Quote:

Your Y2Y save file doesn't include art assets. Just ID's so everyone who was created by us gets the new assets.

# 37 Russell_SCEA @ 02/14/17 03:01 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Caulfield
I'm about 101% positive your Lindors and Kershaws and Altuves will have the new and improved faces but the equipment I cant even venture a guess.
They do not have new faces all the improvements are from this year's graphical improvements feature suite. None of those guys have new face scans.

# 38 bp4baseball @ 02/14/17 03:03 PM
These look amazing. Do the new graphics apply to arms and hands, in addition to the faces?

# 39 tnixen @ 02/14/17 03:03 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Russell_SCEA
They do not have new faces all the improvements are from this year's graphical improvements feature suite. None of those guys have new face scans.
That is simply astonishing!!!

# 40 skrody @ 02/14/17 03:04 PM
are we getting fat pablo sandoval or trim pablo sandoval this year?

Post A Comment
Only OS members can post comments
Please login or register to post a comment.