Home
MLB The Show 17 News Post

GameSpot has posted a new MLB The Show 17 video featuring a full game between the Toronto Blue Jays and New York Yankees.

Post your thoughts!

Game: MLB The Show 17Hype Score: 9/10 - Vote Now
Platform: PS4Votes for game: 36 - View All
Member Comments
# 81 Armor and Sword @ 03/15/17 03:27 PM
Wow the new humanity AI is going to be huge. The slow, non urgency throws look like they will be a thing of the past on plays that demand urgency.

# 82 merchant1874 @ 03/15/17 03:51 PM
I like the idea of what they are trying to do with the grass but in effect it looks like a blurry texture soup (even more so than usual)

Hopefully the Pro sorts the AF issues (assuming that's the cause)

# 83 WaitTilNextYear @ 03/15/17 04:03 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dannyray64
Will grass tech be on display during actual gameplay, or would we only notice it in replay?
Good question. It'll probably be different depending on PS4 vs PS4 Pro also.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MetsFan16
Let's not forget that Ramone mentioned they removed all of those long running into the wall animations in the outfield!

Sent from my iPhone using Operation Sports
Could you point out where in the stream that was mentioned? The tagging up and scoring from 2nd base on these animations was probably the most offensive piece of gameplay left.

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhilliesFan13
The chalk lines at home plate were disappearing near the end of the game in this video.

Sent from my LGLS991 using Operation Sports mobile app
Even if it's a problem, wasn't this a patch-able issue in previous years? I don't think it's a big deal to fix.

# 84 Speedy @ 03/15/17 04:09 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by WaitTilNextYear
Even if it's a problem, wasn't this a patch-able issue in previous years? I don't think it's a big deal to fix.
I thought this was a good thing?

# 85 WaitTilNextYear @ 03/15/17 04:15 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Speedy
I thought this was a good thing?
You misunderstood. Some people were complaining about seeing no chalk degradation. The post I responded to mentioned that he did see chalk degradation. My post adds on that whether it's working or not at this moment, the developers have been able to patch in chalk degradation in previous games.

# 86 breakfastcat @ 03/15/17 04:18 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by merchant1874
I like the idea of what they are trying to do with the grass but in effect it looks like a blurry texture soup (even more so than usual)

Hopefully the Pro sorts the AF issues (assuming that's the cause)
I agree somewhat. The colors and lighting on the grass this year look great and much improved, don't get me wrong. But, in the far away shots that show the whole field, the grass texture still doesn't look great. Kind of splotchy and lo-res like they've been for years. Hopefully this is something that can be worked on for The Show 18.

# 87 WaitTilNextYear @ 03/15/17 04:20 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by breakfastcat
I agree somewhat. The colors and lighting on the grass this year look great and much improved, don't get me wrong. But, in the far away shots that show the whole field, the grass texture still doesn't look great. Kind of splotchy and lo-res like they've been for years. Hopefully this is something that can be worked on for The Show 18.
I'd like to see the grass with the 4K/HDR/PS4 Pro combo. One has to imagine it'll make some sort of difference with the colors, resolution, and textures.

# 88 WaitTilNextYear @ 03/15/17 04:26 PM
Quote:
Here is a screenshot I took.
And this is compared with much earlier in the game...

You can see the chalk as well as 'dirt degradation' compared to the pic above.

# 89 @legendm0de @ 03/15/17 04:36 PM
Quote:
Here is a screenshot I took.
I think what he was saying is how minimal the degradation is, for example, that screen shot is after 8 innings. In the past I remember it not taking as long and being alot more noticeable also.

# 90 adh5199 @ 03/15/17 04:51 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Russell_SCEA
We've shown nothing on Pro, every assets has been captured using a PS4.

Can we assume that tomorrow will be the pro version since it's partly a graphics stream?

Sent from my iPhone using Operation Sports

# 91 MrChainsaw @ 03/15/17 04:55 PM
That first groundout 2 minutes or so into the video...such silky smooth fielding animations.

# 92 Blzer @ 03/15/17 04:58 PM
I wonder if jerseys "flap" with strong winds at all, ala MLB 2K7 (not quite that extremely though, of course).

I'm assuming they would have shown it by now if they do, but I really love the animated uniform cloth physics they have this year, and hope this is but one of those "year one of many" things that they keep improving on over time.

# 93 WhiteBunny @ 03/15/17 05:02 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by breakfastcat
It's probably LOD, so to not stress too much the Ps4 hardware the grass is rendered at lower resolution in the distance. It's not about laziness ( i'm not assuming you're saying that, of course ), it's a pretty common workaround and The Show have already a ton of details to render ( no other sport game have such a beautiful crowd, for example ). Probably on Ps4 Pro grass will look better because of a better LOD. By the way, even on Ps4 standard grass is much improved this year so i'm fine and pretty happy.

# 94 Buddha73 @ 03/15/17 05:28 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by WaitTilNextYear
Could you point out where in the stream that was mentioned? The tagging up and scoring from 2nd base on these animations was probably the most offensive piece of gameplay left.
It's about the 3:25 mark

# 95 Buddha73 @ 03/15/17 05:29 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Buddha73
It's about the 3:25 mark
I mean 33:25

# 96 tessl @ 03/15/17 05:31 PM
My jump to a conclusion, small sample size impression of the videos I've seen so far is graphics and animations look great, ball spin looks realistic. Regarding gameplay it appears "human AI" has turned every infielder in to a gold glove candidate and I have yet to see an infield hit and most runs scored are via the home run.

My strategy as a manage mode user will be to get fast middle infielders who can get a glove on ground balls and let the human AI do the rest.

# 97 breakfastcat @ 03/15/17 05:43 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blzer
I wonder if jerseys "flap" with strong winds at all, ala MLB 2K7 (not quite that extremely though, of course).

I'm assuming they would have shown it by now if they do, but I really love the animated uniform cloth physics they have this year, and hope this is but one of those "year one of many" things that they keep improving on over time.
Not really sure what new cloth physics you're seeing, it looks the same to me as it has since the game first came to PS4. And better cloth physics is something I've wanted for a few years now. I would love for jerseys to move around in the wind and when players run/jump, but I'm not seeing that this year. Hopefully next year.

# 98 thaSLAB @ 03/15/17 07:07 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by tessl
My jump to a conclusion, small sample size impression of the videos I've seen so far is graphics and animations look great, ball spin looks realistic. Regarding gameplay it appears "human AI" has turned every infielder in to a gold glove candidate and I have yet to see an infield hit and most runs scored are via the home run.

My strategy as a manage mode user will be to get fast middle infielders who can get a glove on ground balls and let the human AI do the rest.
Ramone specifically commented on this in the video, stating that they were playing on Veteran difficulty.

Sent from my htc 10 using Tapatalk

# 99 nemesis04 @ 03/15/17 07:18 PM
Yankee stadium looks great, nice upgrades!

# 100 tessl @ 03/15/17 07:18 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by thaSLAB
Ramone specifically commented on this in the video, stating that they were playing on Veteran difficulty.

Sent from my htc 10 using Tapatalk
He did but I'll stick with my impression of human AI until I see differently because I doubt difficulty changes it because it is animation. I have yet to see an infield hit. I'll get fast SS and 2B, a good 3B in manage mode and I'll bet there are tons of double plays. The key will be to get infielders who can get a glove on the ball and let the animation do the rest. That's the plan.

Post A Comment
Only OS members can post comments
Please login or register to post a comment.