Home
MLB The Show 17 News Post

GameSpot has posted a new MLB The Show 17 video featuring a full game between the Toronto Blue Jays and New York Yankees.

Post your thoughts!

Game: MLB The Show 17Hype Score: 9/10 - Vote Now
Platform: PS4Votes for game: 36 - View All
Member Comments
# 101 Junior Moe @ 03/15/17 07:22 PM
There wasnt one particular thing about the video that jumped out at me as different from MLB16. Yet, somehow it looks and feels (even though I obviously haven't played it) different and new. Everything just flows so well together.

# 102 WhiteBunny @ 03/15/17 07:54 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by thaSLAB
Ramone specifically commented on this in the video, stating that they were playing on Veteran difficulty.

Sent from my htc 10 using Tapatalk
If i remember well, he was referring to hitting. Maybe Tessl is right, i don't know and it's difficult to point out gameplay aspects from a youtube video or live streams. But i got a similar feeling, honestly.

# 103 thaSLAB @ 03/15/17 07:59 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by tessl
He did but I'll stick with my impression of human AI until I see differently because I doubt difficulty changes it because it is animation. I have yet to see an infield hit. I'll get fast SS and 2B, a good 3B in manage mode and I'll bet there are tons of double plays. The key will be to get infielders who can get a glove on the ball and let the animation do the rest. That's the plan.
Quote:
Originally Posted by WhiteBunny
If i remember well, he was referring to hitting. Maybe Tessl is right, i don't know and it's difficult to point out gameplay aspects from a youtube video or live streams. But i got a similar feeling, honestly.
Ok.

Sent from my htc 10 using Tapatalk

# 104 bronxbombers21325 @ 03/15/17 07:59 PM
The Yankees numbers seemed to be higher on the back of the jersey. Maybe not exactly where they need to be, but much much better.

# 105 Impetuous65 @ 03/15/17 08:05 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by adh5199
Can we assume that tomorrow will be the pro version since it's partly a graphics stream?

Sent from my iPhone using Operation Sports
I don't know why people thinking showing the Pro version on a twitch or youtube stream when the stream is capped at 1080p and add bitrate compression to degrade the image. It was one of the reasons that Mark Cerny gave at the PS4 pro Presentation, you will not see the difference on those streams, it is a waste of time. If they show the Pro version people will say it looks no different.

Sony should just upload an inning of the Pro on YouTube 4K, it will still take a hit graphically, but for those who can view it on a 4K TV will get some inkling as to how it looks.

# 106 Blzer @ 03/15/17 08:24 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Impetuous65
I don't know why people thinking showing the Pro version on a twitch or youtube stream when the stream is capped at 1080p and add bitrate compression to degrade the image. It was one of the reasons that Mark Cerny gave at the PS4 pro Presentation, you will not see the difference on those streams, it is a waste of time. If they show the Pro version people will say it looks no different.

Sony should just upload an inning of the Pro on YouTube 4K, it will still take a hit graphically, but for those who can view it on a 4K TV will get some inkling as to how it looks.
You're talking about 4K and HDR, though. There can be boosts in framerate (though from the videos one might argue that the framerate is already pretty good, actually) or anti-aliasing, etc. PS4 games that are using downsampling are looking significantly better in 1080p for that reason. They just come off much cleaner.

I don't know if things like load times improve though as well. I'm not just talking about loading a game, I even mean transitions from image to image. You know when The Show (and other sports games) have to pause and blend to the next image at times? Maybe the Pro can cut that part out.

I was not even close to considering a PS4 Pro before getting a 4K television, but getting closer to the release of The Show is getting me excited about the possibility of a bundle and some upgrades for the 1080p crowd that might be in store. Maybe it even improves my Vita Remote Play performance, who knows?

At any rate, I hope we hear something tomorrow! It'll make grading exams that much easier, believe it or not.

# 107 WhiteM5 @ 03/15/17 08:33 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter_OS
Player faces and ball physics look great!

Didn't like how the replay doesn't show the full play at times. That Pearce double on the top of the 7th for example, only show's the player hitting and where the ball places in the outfield. It doesn't show the close play at second. Hope they can fix this before the game is released.
This brings up a wish of mine. I'd like to just position a camera in the stadium and make it a permanent replay camera. For me it would be a full field cam showing ball flight and all players. I can do without the cutting btwn scenes.

# 108 Impetuous65 @ 03/15/17 08:37 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blzer
You're talking about 4K and HDR, though. There can be boosts in framerate (though from the videos one might argue that the framerate is already pretty good, actually) or anti-aliasing, etc. PS4 games that are using downsampling are looking significantly better in 1080p for that reason. They just come off much cleaner.

I don't know if things like load times improve though as well. I'm not just talking about loading a game, I even mean transitions from image to image. You know when The Show (and other sports games) have to pause and blend to the next image at times? Maybe the Pro can cut that part out.

I was not even close to considering a PS4 Pro before getting a 4K television, but getting closer to the release of The Show is getting me excited about the possibility of a bundle and some upgrades for the 1080p crowd that might be in store. Maybe it even improves my Vita Remote Play performance, who knows?

At any rate, I hope we hear something tomorrow! It'll make grading exams that much easier, believe it or not.
Trust me, none of that will come across in the stream, the compression is just too prevalent. I have seen this far too many times with PS4 Pro games. Guerrilla understood this with Horizon Zero Dawn. What they did to remedy the compression problem is they made available a 4K download with caveats of HDR not available because we have no HDR capture device and to get the file to a manageable size it took a little compression hit. I downloaded that file and what a difference it made compared to what was being seen on youtube and other places.

# 109 Blzer @ 03/15/17 08:42 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Impetuous65
Trust me, none of that will come across in the stream, the compression is just too prevalent. I have seen this far too many times with PS4 Pro games. Guerrilla understood this with Horizon Zero Dawn. What they did to remedy the compression problem is they made available a 4K download with caveats of HDR not available because we have no HDR capture device and to get the file to a manageable size it took a little compression hit. I downloaded that file and what a difference it made compared to what was being seen on youtube and other places.
Oh, I wasn't stating that streams are anything compared to source files (trust me, I've uploaded enough videos to YouTube to know how hard compression hits), but I was just saying that although we may not get 4K and HDR benefits, there are more benefits to the PS4 Pro that we could get as the 1080p consumer. Will it be night-and-day in a stream? Heh, not very much. But you can bet that it can sell me a Pro system if it's substantial enough for the home version!

# 110 Cowboy008 @ 03/15/17 08:51 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by adh5199
Can we assume that tomorrow will be the pro version since it's partly a graphics stream?

Sent from my iPhone using Operation Sports
That would be nice but I don't think they are going to do that. They will probably either just release a video before the game releases showing the improvements the Pro will have or release a article on them.

# 111 NDAlum @ 03/15/17 09:25 PM
I know they like that hanging curve inside backwards K on Sanchez in the 1st...

but as a pitcher that pitch makes me want to vomit. Like that a huge mistake pitch. It's an "OMG I got away with one right there" and IMO I would love to see those misses not be called strikes.

I know video game vs real life...BUT...like that's not a pitch you ever ever call.

# 112 aguero90 @ 03/15/17 09:36 PM
I've got an 80 inch 4k tv, but can't justify buying the ps4 pro. Lol, plus, I might not be able to see a difference!

# 113 JaFFiTh @ 03/15/17 09:52 PM
Ah my beloved Jays! It's looking good.. can't wait for March 28th!

One minor thing.... with me being a deaf gamer and probably one of very few who uses subtitles during the games. Last year the subtitles were horrible, they shrunk and got harder to read. Looks like they fixed it this year, much more clean and easier to read. So that's another minor improvement along with million other stuff in game 👍 can't wait for release day.

Sent from my SM-G900W8 using Tapatalk

# 114 WaitTilNextYear @ 03/15/17 09:59 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Buddha73
I mean 33:25
Thank you, Enlightened One. Hearing Ramone say they've gotten rid of all the suction-into-wall animations was music to my ears.

# 115 bronxbombers21325 @ 03/15/17 10:31 PM
One minor thing I noticed. The Yankees have their numbers on the bill of their helmets. Those were missing in this video. I know it's a work in progress, so hopefully it's fixed in the final build.

# 116 tessl @ 03/15/17 10:40 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Junior Moe
There wasnt one particular thing about the video that jumped out at me as different from MLB16. Yet, somehow it looks and feels (even though I obviously haven't played it) different and new. Everything just flows so well together.
You could see the human AI - shortstop a couple times running full speed toward the foul line got to the ground ball and threw out the runner easily. Big change from last year.

You also saw multiple examples of new ball spin and on balls which got to the outfield wall the outfielder no longer automatically goes to the correct spot.

Gameplay is clearly different.

# 117 yungkingston @ 03/15/17 10:50 PM
Don't know if this was mentioned but aren't the yankees supposed to be wearing matte batting helmets?

# 118 The Kid 24 @ 03/15/17 11:13 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by bronxbombers21325
One minor thing I noticed. The Yankees have their numbers on the bill of their helmets. Those were missing in this video. I know it's a work in progress, so hopefully it's fixed in the final build.
Im sure this was gone gold version of game.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G920A using Operation Sports mobile app

# 119 rovert22044 @ 03/15/17 11:20 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Russell_SCEA
We've shown nothing on Pro, every assets has been captured using a PS4.
Hey Ramone. When can we expect to find out more info on the benefits of owning The Show on the PS4 Pro?

# 120 Russell_SCEA @ 03/15/17 11:26 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by rovert22044
Hey Ramone. When can we expect to find out more info on the benefits of owning The Show on the PS4 Pro?

At the end of the graphics portion

Post A Comment
Only OS members can post comments
Please login or register to post a comment.