Home
MLB The Show 17 News Post

With the ongoing frustration many MLB The Show 17 fans have had online so far this year, the team has posted a quick update for the community.

While they have addressed a number of online gameplay issues, they continue to work on the outstanding issues, with plans to release a new patch soon.

Make sure to read the note below, as it contains some information on the queue process in general, online franchise changes to speed up the amount of time to process leagues and more. Due to the issues, the team promises to give in-game content to all of you, but no specifics have been announced yet.

Quote:
Our top priority every year with the MLB The Show franchise is to create the most authentic baseball game on the market. We push ourselves to include as many additions and improvements as possible, with the end goal of giving users an enjoyable experience across all game modes. We’re proud of so much that made it in this year, but we haven’t been satisfied with certain areas in The Show 17.

Since launch, we have identified and addressed a number of issues related to online gameplay – from freezes and hangs, to longer than normal wait times for the game processing queue. We’re still all hands on deck working to remedy outstanding issues.

There’s been some confusion about queue processing in general, and we’d like to provide insight into the changes we’ve made since launch to how the system works. When a game completes properly (i.e. both users finish to the end), scores should post quickly with no queue message. The back end has been refined to ensure the win/loss is updated immediately, but the rest of the stats from the game might take more time to process. When a game ends prematurely, due to a user disconnect or other abnormal action, the system is designed to take extra time to process, allowing the game to post correctly. In regards to the Online Franchise, changes are in place to help shorten the amount of time required to process leagues.

We have been and continue to work hard to resolve the remaining issues; a new patch is currently underway and we are committed to updating you as soon as we have new information to report. We appreciate all of the valuable feedback and reports the community has sent our way. Understandably, this can be a frustrating time for many of you, and in acknowledgement of that frustration we are planning to give in-game content to all of you. More info on that to come soon.

Thank you all for your patience. You are being heard, and we are truly grateful that we have such a passionate community.

Game: MLB The Show 17Hype Score: 9/10 - Vote Now
Platform: PS4Votes for game: 36 - View All
Member Comments
# 21 thekidisback @ 04/14/17 02:36 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by 335TDC
Agreed. Yay to the dev team my arse. I'm sure they're all wonderful people, I'm sure they work hard, and I'm sure they care. Just like I'm sure that when a product has issues like this a week-late apology shouldn't be celebrated as if it were an act of charity. And yes, online issues affect offline modes since the game locks and gets screwy. I love the Show and I HATE the Show. The devs need to FIX this, and then they need to make it up to their loyal customers, and not with a batch of crappy cards.
How do you know the cards will be crappy? What is a crappy card to you? I remember getting some good cards in last years 10 pack they gave us for the server issues. 1 or 2 gold players and some good silvers. I am too not annoyed with the server issues because I am the kind of gamer that plays all different kinds of games so when this game is not working, I have plenty of other games to play. Just hit the 200 hour mark in Breath of the Wild. People that only play The Show are obviously affected more but the devs have shown that they will always fix the issues and giving us some content to say sorry is a nice gesture. Of course, the game was clearly not ready for release but that's a whole different topic.

# 22 335TDC @ 04/14/17 03:13 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by thekidisback
How do you know the cards will be crappy? What is a crappy card to you? I remember getting some good cards in last years 10 pack they gave us for the server issues. 1 or 2 gold players and some good silvers. I am too not annoyed with the server issues because I am the kind of gamer that plays all different kinds of games so when this game is not working, I have plenty of other games to play. Just hit the 200 hour mark in Breath of the Wild. People that only play The Show are obviously affected more but the devs have shown that they will always fix the issues and giving us some content to say sorry is a nice gesture. Of course, the game was clearly not ready for release but that's a whole different topic.
No, it's really the same topic. Having the same server issues EVERY YEAR is part of the game not being ready for release.

And it's pathetic how customers are placated with in-game content given away as a "sorry." Like a pack of Pavlovian dogs waiting for the bell to ring...

I'll say it again: profiting massively off modes that require huge online time investments by users and then screwing those users with shoddy servers (i.e., wasting their time) is near-criminal. But it's all good if they throw you a few golds, eh?

# 23 jeffy777 @ 04/14/17 07:03 AM
I'll celebrate when they actually fix stuff. It's good they're at least finally saying stuff like this...finally.

Hopefully they learned their lesson for next year's release too (but then did they learn from last year?). I also really hope that OS, IGN, and others will acutally call them out if this happens again. They really didn't deserve a relatively free pass this year from reviewers and such.

# 24 1908_Cubs @ 04/14/17 10:12 AM
Quote:
No, it's really the same topic. Having the same server issues EVERY YEAR is part of the game not being ready for release.

And it's pathetic how customers are placated with in-game content given away as a "sorry." Like a pack of Pavlovian dogs waiting for the bell to ring...

I'll say it again: profiting massively off modes that require huge online time investments by users and then screwing those users with shoddy servers (i.e., wasting their time) is near-criminal. But it's all good if they throw you a few golds, eh?
Yeah, the game seems to struggle first few weeks online. And yes, it's an annoyance. I get that. But the solution for them not profiting off that mode during that time is simple: don't spend your money or play the mode until it's fixed. I don't. And I gladly accept the bonus they give: it's a free jump start on the grind. Picking up a 10-pack will give you at least a useful silver and probably 3-5 more useful cards, as well as a lot of others that will help with collections. I'll spend money on it when it's working, but I limit myself to $20-30 over the course of the game.

I guess I never understand the extreme vitriol. An annoyance? Sure. But the other major modes (RTTS and Franchise) work perfectly fine (especially if you just turn off the internet connection to stop the rewards from populating). I use those until I take the excursion of DD, which is a nice fantasy element that gives, at least a fun distraction from my favorite modes.

# 25 thekidisback @ 04/14/17 10:22 AM
Quote:

No it's not good to just throw us some golds but the bottomline is we all pre-ordered or bought the game every year already knowing they are known for having issues. I'm sure most of the devs didn't want to release the game but were forced to by Sony. Even if they thought the game was done, someone obviously screwed up.

The Griffey mission is going to be ridiculously though or impossible if they don't fix the servers and since Griffey Jr is their big selling point this year, you have to believe they are going to do everything they can to get it working 100% or the outrage we've seen so from will be small potatoes in comparison to the outrage that will follow. Again, I'm lucky that I'm a video gamer and not just a Show gamer. I'm still remaining patient because I love the series so much.

# 26 335TDC @ 04/14/17 11:02 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by thekidisback
No it's not good to just throw us some golds but the bottomline is we all pre-ordered or bought the game every year already knowing they are known for having issues. I'm sure most of the devs didn't want to release the game but were forced to by Sony. Even if they thought the game was done, someone obviously screwed up.

The Griffey mission is going to be ridiculously though or impossible if they don't fix the servers and since Griffey Jr is their big selling point this year, you have to believe they are going to do everything they can to get it working 100% or the outrage we've seen so from will be small potatoes in comparison to the outrage that will follow. Again, I'm lucky that I'm a video gamer and not just a Show gamer. I'm still remaining patient because I love the series so much.
Look, I'm a teacher, and I've taken a pay freeze before when times were tough even though my performance/numbers were stellar. In the same vein, now that the studio is flush with cash it's on THEM to invest in the infrastructure to fix the problem NOW for NEXT YEAR. They are hardline marketing an ONLINE mode that MAKES THEM MONEY while using substandard infrastructure and SCREWING WITH PEOPLE'S TIME.

Sorry for the caps.

But the argument that, yeah, this happens every year, don't get bent out of shape, just wait it out, etc., lets them off the hook. I don't even play DD, but it's the principle that's involved. I wouldn't be so upset if they had actually made substantial improvements to F and RTTS, but they haven't: they're putting all their eggs into their moneymaker mode AND IT'S BROKEN.

In other industries, there are very real consequences for crap like this.

# 27 thekidisback @ 04/14/17 11:29 AM
Well, a lot of people buy the game ever year despite knowing so yeah, a lot of people are letting them off the hook. I'm really not sure why people continue to buy the game right when it comes out and then complain about it. SDS is obviously okay with doing this every year and there doesn't seem to be any consequences for their actions but if it makes people feel better to complain about it every year, I guess that's just how this will go.

# 28 mlblover15 @ 04/14/17 01:27 PM
all they have to do is put their money where their mouths are and hire Cisco to manage the servers... they are still one of the best companies in the world at this... every game company should hire them and quit trying to do everything "IN HOUSE"

Cisco is the answer... simple as that...

there is a golden rule in business or at least it was when I was growing up... "to make money you have to spend money" it is that simple. to continue to grow you have to continue to spend money... and this is a huge issue for those that play online always have...

if they need I can call them for them and get them a price... all I need to know is how many servers and stuff... can't hurt...

I love this game so much if I had the money I personally I would hire them for them and spend my own money to make sure this game was the best for all that play it...

I'm serious... if I had the money and was rich enough to even do it... hell yes I would...

to get results in this area you can't go cut throat bottom barrell cost savings and get results... you just cant...

# 29 LastActionHero @ 04/14/17 01:40 PM
Now if they could fix all those online cheesers! I mean damn I'm not a big online player but I created a dd team and gave t a try. So many times people are trying to score when a runner is on second and the batter hits a groundball to an infielder. Easy out to first and then I just chill because the cpu never goes for home but not online players!

# 30 mlblover15 @ 04/14/17 06:23 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by LastActionHero
Now if they could fix all those online cheesers! I mean damn I'm not a big online player but I created a dd team and gave t a try. So many times people are trying to score when a runner is on second and the batter hits a ground ball to an infielder. Easy out to first and then I just chill because the CPU never goes for home but not online players!

and people wonder why I don't play online... wonder why... oh that is right this is why..respect, as been lost... treat others as you demand to be treated, is a thing of the past... online bullies rule the internet... and that is what cheesers are... bullies... they need to be banned from ever competing on any level on any online game...

# 31 GisherJohn24 @ 04/15/17 02:04 PM
I'm not playing online, but I do feel for the people that do. I can relate, 2k has never fixed most of their glaring issues for online. I Just come to expect it. IT's too bad, I won't expect all the problems to go away, they just release these games unfinished, or it's simply too many people playing at once.

# 32 GisherJohn24 @ 04/15/17 02:05 PM
I'm not playing online, but I do feel for the people that do. I can relate, 2k has never fixed most of their glaring issues for online. I Just come to expect it. IT's too bad, I won't expect all the problems to go away, they just release these games unfinished, or it's simply too many people playing at once.

# 33 cktheproblem @ 04/15/17 02:41 PM
Its been good for me today, one conquest game and two ranked seasons games both processed immediately (no queue).

Sent from my ASUS_Z00TD using Tapatalk

# 34 myghty @ 04/16/17 01:28 AM
I'm done with online till its fixed. Another game freeze up & another into the "Bsrmuda Triangle" of queues. Good thing im really enjoying RTTS or else i would've traded this game in already.

# 35 kehlis @ 04/16/17 10:30 AM
Quote:
Look, I'm a teacher, and I've taken a pay freeze before when times were tough even though my performance/numbers were stellar. In the same vein, now that the studio is flush with cash it's on THEM to invest in the infrastructure to fix the problem NOW for NEXT YEAR. They are hardline marketing an ONLINE mode that MAKES THEM MONEY while using substandard infrastructure and SCREWING WITH PEOPLE'S TIME.

Sorry for the caps.

But the argument that, yeah, this happens every year, don't get bent out of shape, just wait it out, etc., lets them off the hook. I don't even play DD, but it's the principle that's involved. I wouldn't be so upset if they had actually made substantial improvements to F and RTTS, but they haven't: they're putting all their eggs into their moneymaker mode AND IT'S BROKEN.

How flush with cash are they exactly at the moment? I guess I missed the numbers.

# 36 Caulfield @ 04/16/17 01:53 PM
Quote:

Sony isnt immune, they are as vulnerable as any other industry. we may not be immediately privvy to finding out those consequences but I have no doubt the free market will have a direct impact from this years failures to next years bottom line. the bad thing is it will then impact the rest of us consumers who havent had the problems a lot of people have had this year

# 37 kamackeris76 @ 04/17/17 11:08 AM
i hope they are looking at the wild pitches equal stolen base pretty much every time....the catcher's reaction time is excruciating

# 38 335TDC @ 04/17/17 12:54 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by kehlis
How flush with cash are they exactly at the moment? I guess I missed the numbers.
Nice snarky comment. They're as flush with cash as they will be all year, post-launch with the market running. You don't need hard numbers to know that.

My larger point was that any business with a legacy problem this big needs to make fixing that problem an immediate priority for next cycle. I'm not saying they're NOT doing this right now -- who knows? -- but what the past has taught us is that it's at least probable they won't -- they'll just band-aid it. I do think and hope, however, that this absolute FUBAR launch might force their hand, which it just might IF they think it will impact their bottom line going forward.

# 39 Cod @ 04/17/17 04:07 PM
I believe the patch caused me to have frame rate drops ala MLB 16. Every thing was running at a smooth 50-60 fps before the patch, cut scenes included. Now, I'm getting constant drops.

I'm not blaming the patch, but I haven't seen fps drops in any other games. So that rules out any "issues" with my PS4 (memory clogged, dusty, etc.).

# 40 kehlis @ 04/17/17 06:50 PM
Quote:
Nice snarky comment. They're as flush with cash as they will be all year, post-launch with the market running. You don't need hard numbers to know that.

My larger point was that any business with a legacy problem this big needs to make fixing that problem an immediate priority for next cycle. I'm not saying they're NOT doing this right now -- who knows? -- but what the past has taught us is that it's at least probable they won't -- they'll just band-aid it. I do think and hope, however, that this absolute FUBAR launch might force their hand, which it just might IF they think it will impact their bottom line going forward.
You can take my post however you would like. There was no ill intent but it's important to point out that making an assumption without knowing the facts is never a safe thing to do.

Right now, your claim was that they are cash heavy which as evidence by you not actually answering my question you really have no knowledge of.

We have no idea what their budget looks like and there is no doubt that their budget includes getting a boost in revenue this time of year so to assume they can just extend that to something they may not have budgeted for is a heavy assumption.

And not one you or I can make not knowing what their budget looks like...

« Previous 12Next »

Post A Comment
Only OS members can post comments
Please login or register to post a comment.