Home
MLB The Show 17 News Post

The MLB The Show 17 server issues persisted over the weekend, and many are starting to feel like there is no end in sight.

While server issues are a traditional problem with Sony and MLB The Show, last year it seemed like there was a lot of progress made towards a smoother playing experience. Unfortunately this year, it appears the series has indeed suffered a setback with the online play.

Last year, there were some rough days even a couple of weeks after launch as well, but the servers going down at the start of Easter weekend was a real low point (Sony did get them back up on the whole by Saturday). With that in mind, we thought it best to at least summarize the issues that have cropped up during this first month and sort of just encapsulate the whole saga to this point.

Read More - MLB The Show Server Issues: Detailing the Saga So Far

Game: MLB The Show 17Hype Score: 9/10 - Vote Now
Platform: PS4Votes for game: 36 - View All
Member Comments
# 61 striker3771 @ 04/20/17 02:22 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by N51_rob
I like the game, I like the guys at SDS that I have interacted with, but this is two years in a row of major server issues on release....fool me once...As a consumer its unacceptable. On hardcore sites like this one SDS get a pass, because for the most part their gameplay has been stellar for a while. If a certain football game had issues like this in back to back releases the forums would burn. SDS needs to do a much better job communicating, but doing their due diligence to prevent this from happening again. Two years in a row has moved this game from a Day 1 to a "wait for the kinks to be worked out" purchase.

Totally agree. This is no longer a yearly purchase from me after this mess. I only play this game online. There is no reason for me to buy this game every year if they don't invest in fixing their servers.

# 62 thekidisback @ 04/20/17 02:58 PM
I'm still puzzled as to why there are no real coaches or managers in DD. It's jarring to see generic versions of the real guys when the real mangers and coaches are in franchise. I almost don't want to play DD games because of this. What's the reason?

The server issues have to be apart of a bigger issue they aren't telling us about. It's been going on for too long. A lot of cards this year are behind a paywall but the server issues make it to where you can't get those cards even if you pay extra for PSN+. It's almost like a bad joke they are playing on us.

# 63 848 @ 04/20/17 03:13 PM
Servers appear to be down again....

# 64 seasprite @ 04/20/17 03:45 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by thekidisback
I'm still puzzled as to why their are no real coaches or managers in DD. It's jarring to see generic versions of the real guys when the real mangers and coaches are in franchise. I almost don't want to play DD games because of this. What's the reason?

The server issues have to be apart of a bigger issue they aren't telling us about. It's been going on for too long. A lot of cards this year are behind a paywall but the server issues make it to where you can't get those cards even if you pay extra for PSN+. It's almost like a bad joke they are playing on us.
What cards are behind a paywall? Honestly asking

# 65 ODogg @ 04/20/17 03:52 PM
I love this game and think it's one of the best, if not possibly THE best sports game, in a long time. Will not only be buying it next year but I plan to buy the $99 version to get the extra stubs.

# 66 mikeq672 @ 04/20/17 04:00 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by ODogg
I love this game and think it's one of the best, if not possibly THE best sports game, in a long time. Will not only be buying it next year but I plan to buy the $99 version to get the extra stubs.
The game doesnt work.

# 67 seasprite @ 04/20/17 04:10 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikeq672
The game doesnt work.
The game does indeed work................the online portion is a mess right now, but to say the game doesn't work is hyperbole.

# 68 mikeq672 @ 04/20/17 04:34 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by seasprite
The game does indeed work................the online portion is a mess right now, but to say the game doesn't work is hyperbole.
By a mess do you mean its broken and unplayable? Oh ok...

Half the game is completely broken and unplayable. Its the half of the game that they market and promote for months leading up to release. Its the half of the game where all preorders are focused on. Its the half of the game that they sell higher priced editions for. Its the half of the game that they actually make money on.

So to say the game isnt broken is hyperbole.

# 69 rbaker1979 @ 04/20/17 04:34 PM
Quote:
The deafening silence from Ramone, and all their various twitters and so on is by far the must frustrating thing. The game is literally unplayable right now because 95% of games dont count but they havent even apologized or said they are working on it. Horrible PR.
Agreed

In prior years the issues were understandable and Ramone/other SDS employees here and on Twitter were open about what the problems were and how they were working to resolve it. For example, last year Ramone mentioned how sales far exceeded what they expected and servers were getting hammered as a response. Annoying at the time yeah, but understandable.

This year is just...*crickets*

Sadly it seems like SDS is in "take the money and run" mode. While servers continuously have issues, there is no communication other than advertising limited time packs for sale to promote events that you won't be able to complete because servers are either down or every game goes to queue and your stats wind up not counting toward the mission.

It's crazy.

# 70 jeffy777 @ 04/20/17 05:03 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by ODogg
While I'm happy for you, your comment is basically just salt in the wound for people that have been struggling with the servers.

# 71 Speedy @ 04/20/17 05:05 PM
Quote:

Half the game is completely broken and unplayable. Its the half of the game that they market and promote for months leading up to release. Its the half of the game where all preorders are focused on. Its the half of the game that they sell higher priced editions for. Its the half of the game that they actually make money on.

It's according to what you play most that you're deeming unplayable. Online is indeed broken but the offline components are not. He's not that far off from saying the game being broken is hyperbole...parts of the game is broken but the entire game is not.

In any event, we're veering off-topic as the thread here is focusing on the online issues, as jeffy noted above, not what is playable vs. what isn't.

# 72 mikeq672 @ 04/20/17 05:43 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Speedy
In any event, we're veering off-topic as the thread here is focusing on the online issues, as jeffy noted above, not what is playable vs. what isn't.
Which, funny enough, further illustrates how correct my statement was...

# 73 thekidisback @ 04/20/17 06:31 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by seasprite
What cards are behind a paywall? Honestly asking
Any cards that require you to play against others online to unlock means you must have a PSN+ subscription which means those cards are behind a paywall. For example, the 99 overall Ken Griffey Jr. card is behind a paywall.

# 74 335TDC @ 04/20/17 07:11 PM
Quote:

I play offline exclusively -- never DD, never online -- but I support those that call the game broken because it is in fact very heavily marketed as an online DD/card collecting experience, and it's almost a certainty that many more people buy the game for those modes than for offline modes.

It has to be frustrating if you're one of the people who bought it for those reasons to hear one of us offliners say, "It's hyperbole" or "Just play offline until the servers are fixed."

SDS dug their own hole on this.

# 75 335TDC @ 04/20/17 07:14 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by thekidisback
Any cards that require you to play against others online to unlock means you must have a PSN+ subscription which means those cards are behind a paywall. For example, the 99 overall Ken Griffey Jr. card is behind a paywall.
This is a good point, especially if someone doesn't realize that SDS is a Sony studio. But I honestly doubt that many people at all who play DD online wouldn't already have a PS+ subscription.

# 76 mikeq672 @ 04/20/17 08:17 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by 335TDC
I play offline exclusively -- never DD, never online -- but I support those that call the game broken because it is in fact very heavily marketed as an online DD/card collecting experience, and it's almost a certainty that many more people buy the game for those modes than for offline modes.

It has to be frustrating if you're one of the people who bought it for those reasons to hear one of us offliners say, "It's hyperbole" or "Just play offline until the servers are fixed."

Thank you. I dont get why its so hard for some to understand. If franchise was broken, I wouldnt just go to page talking about it and say too bad, play online. That would make me a pretty big jerk.

# 77 Bullit @ 04/20/17 08:27 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by 335TDC

Not to fan the flames here, but even offline modes are being affected. I have had several crashes in both my franchise and RTTS that can be blamed on the servers locking up my games. One of several reasons why I have stopped playing. So while some modes "work" the game as a whole does not.

# 78 mikeq672 @ 04/20/17 08:34 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bullit
Not to fan the flames here, but even offline modes are being affected. I have had several crashes in both my franchise and RTTS that can be blamed on the servers locking up my games. One of several reasons why I have stopped playing. So while some modes "work" the game as a whole does not.
Just a tip, you can disconnect from the servers to play offline, of course you wont get rewards or anything but you wont freeze up either.

# 79 Bullit @ 04/20/17 08:42 PM
Quote:
Just a tip, you can disconnect from the servers to play offline, of course you wont get rewards or anything but you wont freeze up either.
Thanks. Well aware of all the "work arounds" but I appreciate the look out.

# 80 myghty @ 04/20/17 11:10 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bullit
Need more people to think this way so the servers can lighten up & I could play without hiccups...

Post A Comment
Only OS members can post comments
Please login or register to post a comment.