Home
MLB The Show 17 News Post

The MLB The Show 17 server issues persisted over the weekend, and many are starting to feel like there is no end in sight.

While server issues are a traditional problem with Sony and MLB The Show, last year it seemed like there was a lot of progress made towards a smoother playing experience. Unfortunately this year, it appears the series has indeed suffered a setback with the online play.

Last year, there were some rough days even a couple of weeks after launch as well, but the servers going down at the start of Easter weekend was a real low point (Sony did get them back up on the whole by Saturday). With that in mind, we thought it best to at least summarize the issues that have cropped up during this first month and sort of just encapsulate the whole saga to this point.

Read More - MLB The Show Server Issues: Detailing the Saga So Far

Game: MLB The Show 17Hype Score: 9/10 - Vote Now
Platform: PS4Votes for game: 36 - View All
Member Comments
# 121 slipkid75 @ 04/22/17 04:36 PM
Diamond Dynasty is unplayable at times. When batting the ball will do weird movements that have nothing to do with the actual pitch. The odd pause after the ball is hit when batting. Lots of other weird things that happen during games due to server issues. It's getting to be really disappointing. Luckily I'm having a lot of fun with RTTS this year so it's something else to play until these issues are hopefully fixed.

Sent from my iPad using Operation Sports

# 122 kehlis @ 04/22/17 04:59 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Artman22
Almost a month this game been out and the servers are still an issue. SDS hasn't been too vocal either since release. Many of us haven't been able to start our online leagues due to the terrible servers. Since SDS isn't saying much it's even more disappointing. Next year I will not buy this game on release date until I hear the servers are good.
Serious question.

What would you like them to say at this point? What could they say that they haven't already said that would put you in a different state than you are currently in?

They've acknowledges the obvious problems on multiple occasions. EVERYONE knows it's a problem.

Is there anything they can say at this point that would "ease your pain"?

# 123 Caulfield @ 04/22/17 05:24 PM
I thank the maker everyday that I have zero interest in online.
Quote:
Originally Posted by kehlis

I assume for a lot of people this is the message behind their inquiry...
Attachment 134525
... or something similar.

I'm not judging, I'm just sayin'.

# 124 Artman22 @ 04/22/17 05:43 PM
Quote:
Serious question.

What would you like them to say at this point? What could they say that they haven't already said that would put you in a different state than you are currently in?

They've acknowledges the obvious problems on multiple occasions. EVERYONE knows it's a problem.

I follow them on twitter and 3 days ago they said they were completing a server maintenance and on the 13th they addressed the issue on twitter. Correct me if i'm wrong, but I haven't seen Ramone here since launch to address this. I remember them being very vocal here before release and that's not the case anymore.

To me and many others here the one statement addressing the server issues and two stating they're doing servers maintenance in 3 weeks isn't something some of us here are happy with. They had sever issues last year too but it didn't take this long to resolve. I thought by now games wouldn't be freezing. I think many people have the right to be upset with this. Question, and I mean no disrespect by this, but is there something wrong with me being upset because this is still going on?

# 125 kehlis @ 04/22/17 05:56 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Artman22
I follow them on twitter and 3 days ago they said they were completing a server maintenance and on the 13th they addressed the issue on twitter. Correct me if i'm wrong, but I haven't seen Ramone here since launch to address this. I remember them being very vocal here before release and that's not the case anymore.

To me and many others here the one statement addressing the server issues and two stating they're doing servers maintenance in 3 weeks isn't something some of us here are happy with. They had sever issues last year too but it didn't take this long to resolve. I thought by now games wouldn't be freezing. I think many people have the right to be upset with this. Question, and I mean no disrespect by this, but is there something wrong with me being upset because this is still going on?
Not at all nor did I infer you were wrong to be upset.

My question was vastly different though.

About a week ago they acknowledged they were aware of the problem and were working to fix it.

I'm genuinely curious as to hear what not just you, but everyone wants to hear that would make it better?

Do you want a daily, every other day, weekly update saying the same thing?

Again, genuine question and in no way am I saying you're wrong for being upset.

# 126 TheDarkKnightRises @ 04/22/17 06:34 PM
Question:

Are the servers for Online Franchise working yet? I want to play my friend in a game tonight, but I don't want the game crashing in the 3rd inning.

# 127 MLB14 @ 04/22/17 06:39 PM
Quote:

I'm genuinely curious as to hear what not just you, but everyone wants to hear that would make it better?

I'd say people are wondering if they even know what is actually wrong yet. It could be the programming powering the servers or the servers themselves.

sent from a mobile device

# 128 kehlis @ 04/22/17 07:04 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by MLB14
I'd say people are wondering if they even know what is actually wrong yet. It could be the programming powering the servers or the servers themselves.

sent from a mobile device
Very fair question but I'm not sure we should realistically expect any response answering that specific question.

# 129 335TDC @ 04/22/17 07:06 PM
Quote:
Not at all nor did I infer you were wrong to be upset.

My question was vastly different though.

About a week ago they acknowledged they were aware of the problem and were working to fix it.

Again, genuine question and in no way am I saying you're wrong for being upset.
Nothing can "make it better" until it's fixed. And maybe it's silly to take moral stances on a buyer-beware consumer issue, but....

...they have yet to release a statement APOLOGIZING for this mess.

Their "Note to Our Community" did not use the words "sorry" or "apologize" and was written in that passive-voice legalese that seeks to avoid taking responsibility.

And that was over a week ago. I am disgusted by that.

We live in an age of one-click social media -- there is simply no excuse for their not having issued a sincere apology to this point, and that they probably will when everything is fixed doesn't excuse the fact that they haven't yet.

# 130 kehlis @ 04/22/17 07:18 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by 335TDC
Nothing can "make it better" until it's fixed. And maybe it's silly to take moral stances on a buyer-beware consumer issue, but....

...they have yet to release a statement APOLOGIZING for this mess.

Their "Note to Our Community" did not use the words "sorry" or "apologize" and was written in that passive-voice legalese that seeks to avoid taking responsibility.

And that was over a week ago. I am disgusted by that.

We live in an age of one-click social media -- there is simply no excuse for their not having issued a sincere apology to this point, and that they probably will when everything is fixed doesn't excuse the fact that they haven't yet.
An apology is owed, I agree.

The timing of the apology to me is debatable.

An apology accomplishes what at the moment? Does it give comfort? Solve the problem? Put the community at ease?

It would just incite more disgust with people that can't play the game the way they want to play it.

It goes back to your first sentence. The only way to solve this is to fix the problem.

Statements and apologies at this point are placeholders that won't do anything to put the community at ease.

# 131 335TDC @ 04/22/17 07:27 PM
Quote:
An apology is owed, I agree.

The timing of the apology to me is debatable.

An apology accomplishes what at the moment? Does it give comfort? Solve the problem? Put the community at ease?

It would just incite more disgust with people that can't play the game the way they want to play it.

It goes back to your first sentence. The only way to solve this is to fix the problem.

Statements and apologies at this point are placeholders that won't do anything to put the community at ease.
An valid apology is never meant to "accomplish" ANYTHING. You offer one because it's the right thing to do, and you do it in good time. You can say that the timing of one is debatable, but it's just human nature: the longer it takes for an apology to come, the less it means to the offended party.

And I have to say, you keep asking things like, "Will it give comfort? What will it accomplish?" That comes off as condescending. There is NOTHING "practical' or "outcome-based" about a sincere apology. It's given because it's owed.

# 132 kehlis @ 04/22/17 08:39 PM
Quote:
An valid apology is never meant to "accomplish" ANYTHING. You offer one because it's the right thing to do, and you do it in good time. You can say that the timing of one is debatable, but it's just human nature: the longer it takes for an apology to come, the less it means to the offended party.

And I have to say, you keep asking things like, "Will it give comfort? What will it accomplish?" That comes off as condescending. There is NOTHING "practical' or "outcome-based" about a sincere apology. It's given because it's owed.

I've been condescending and I know what condescending means and none of those questions are it.

They were asked genuinely which is specifically why I even went out of my way to qualify them as such.

Yes, apologies are always the right thing to do, but my question still remains, does it solve the problem?

You opened your last post with the statement that the only true solution is to fix the problem.

When it comes to that, you and I agree 100%.

# 133 335TDC @ 04/22/17 09:04 PM
Quote:
I've been condescending and I know what condescending means and none of those questions are it.

They were asked genuinely which is specifically why I even went out of my way to qualify them as such.

Yes, apologies are always the right thing to do, but my question still remains, does it solve the problem?

You opened your last post with the statement that the only true solution is to fix the problem.

When it comes to that, you and I agree 100%.
We share a lot of common ground on this, so all respect.

However, you say your question remains, but I already addressed it: apologies aren't MEANT to "ACCOMPLISH" anything. But just because they don't help solve the problem doesn't mean they're not owed. I don't know how that can be made any clearer.

I also already said that my stance in this is MORAL, not practical, like yours. I KNOW the game will be fixed -- for #@$%'s sake, I don't even play online! -- and I don't get upset or lose sleep about this. I simply think it's deplorable for SDS not to have issued a real, valid apology to its customers. I mean, come on, man -- your parents taught you when you were a little crapper that you apologize when you do wrong, and you do it right away. They didn't teach you that you only apologize if it helps solve the problem or to wait until everything is 100% cool to apologize. At least, I hope they didn't...

And granted that tone is very tricky to imply and infer in writing, but asking if an apology will "give comfort" reads, at least to me, as quite condescending.

I'm off to play Franchise. Offline. Peace!

# 134 Jaysonguy @ 04/23/17 12:06 AM
Quote:

It solves what is now their biggest problem.

Broken game is broken game, eventually you would hope it's fixed.

Their relationship with the customers is another thing completely.

They have been tone deaf when it comes to the people who are facing these problems. There's more to it then understanding that people are having problems. That's like running over someone's dog and only coming back with "I understand your dog is dead". They now have a very negative light on them when it comes to places like this and other gaming sites but also social media sites.

Once you say "I'm sorry we messed up" it's over. You line up, take your lumps, and go forward. Yes, you're going to have a lot of angry people and vitriol but then it's going to stop. The avoidance of ownership of this comes off as somewhere between not caring and condescending. The fact that they have failed to do that to this point is mind boggling. That whoever is in charge of their PR is doing this is unthinkable.

# 135 Caulfield @ 04/23/17 07:44 AM
I realise they are important to a lot of folks but call me crazy, call me cynical, I'm just not into apologies, heartfelt or otherwise. Results are what I prefer. Still, when one refuses to apologise, they have to accept the future consequence of that. I guess Sony has thought it over and decided no apology is their best course of action. Now, they await the consequences.

# 136 Razor7787 @ 04/23/17 10:49 AM
I am from Germany and online play is unplayable for me. Input delay is killing it for me. I didn't even see the batter swinging and hit the ball. Is this a general problem or just that I am Germany based?

Gesendet von iPhone mit Operation Sports

# 137 335TDC @ 04/23/17 11:17 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Caulfield
I realise they are important to a lot of folks but call me crazy, call me cynical, I'm just not into apologies, heartfelt or otherwise. Results are what I prefer. Still, when one refuses to apologise, they have to accept the future consequence of that. I guess Sony has thought it over and decided no apology is their best course of action. Now, they await the consequences.
I guess I'm the Apology Guy at this point, but I really don't care in the end. I don't think there WILL be any lasting consequences so long as the issue gets fixed in the next week or two. Any longer and I think Sony will be risking DD players moving on to other games.

I guess I simply don't understand how anyone at Sony/SDS could think that a simple apology would do anything negative -- bashers gonna bash regardless, right? A simple "sorry" with a tell-nothing update ("we're working overtime to fix this") is so easy to do, and it's an all upside move.

Oh, well.

# 138 kehlis @ 04/23/17 11:21 AM
Quote:
I guess I'm the Apology Guy at this point, but I really don't care in the end. I don't think there WILL be any lasting consequences so long as the issue gets fixed in the next week or two. Any longer and I think Sony will be risking DD players moving on to other games.

I guess I simply don't understand how anyone at Sony/SDS could think that a simple apology would do anything negative -- bashers gonna bash regardless, right? A simple "sorry" with a tell-nothing update ("we're working overtime to fix this") is so easy to do, and it's an all upside move.

Oh, well.
I guess you and me are pretty much in the same place, you said it well when you said just morally you think it's the right thing to do and that makes sense.

I guess to me, where I stand, the best apology is to just fix it (obviously easier said than done).

# 139 mikeq672 @ 04/23/17 05:15 PM
I guess yesterday was a fluke, back to things not counting today. Yay.

Why is there a queue? Ive literally never had a game count once it went to queue.

# 140 Dolenz @ 04/23/17 05:51 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikeq672
I guess yesterday was a fluke, back to things not counting today. Yay.

Why is there a queue? Ive literally never had a game count once it went to queue.
I don't play H2H so I can't say anything about that but I have had all my vs CPU games that went to the queue count.

Post A Comment
Only OS members can post comments
Please login or register to post a comment.