Home
NBA 2K18 News Post

NBA 2K18 will feature Shaquille O'Neal on the cover of the legend edition, marking his third appearance on an NBA 2K cover.

You can also watch the ad featuring Shaq, as he makes the announcement. Kobe Bryant is also in the ad.

Gamers who pre-order the NBA 2K18 Legend Edition will receive special Shaq memorabilia, in-game content, and Early Tip-Off Access beginning September 15, 2017; check out what's included in each edition below.

NBA 2K18 Legend Edition - $99.99
  • 100,000 VC
  • 20 Weekly MyTEAM Packs (with guaranteed Shaq and Team 2K cards)
  • Shaq Attaq Shoes
  • Shaq Jerseys & Apparel
  • Championship Ring
  • Shaq MyTEAM Stickers
  • 5 Shaq Trading Cards
  • Shaq Poster
NBA 2K18 Legend Edition Gold - $149.99
  • All Legend Edition Content
  • Additional 150,0000 VC (250,000 total)
  • 20 Additional Weekly MyTEAM packs (40 total with guaranteed Shaq and Team 2K card)
  • Shaq's Jersey Collection
  • 5 Additional Shaq Trading Cards
  • Lenticular Cover
NBA 2K18 Standard Edition: - $59.99
  • 5000 VC
  • 10 Weekly MyTEAM Packs (With Team 2K card)
  • MyPlayer Apparel
Read the full press release below.

‘The Big Aristotle’ Shaquille O’Neal Booms Back to the Court in NBA® 2K18 Legend Edition

Newly enshrined NBA Hall of Famer, dominant basketball icon and ultimate basketball big man honored on special game cover; fans to receive exclusive memorabilia and in-game content

2K today announced that NBA 2K will feature Hall of Famer Shaquille O’Neal on the cover of the NBA 2K18 Legend Edition. This special edition of the top-rated NBA video game simulation series for the last 16 years* gives the court to the big man who needs no introduction, “The Diesel…The Big Aristotle…Superman…Shaq Daddy…” with special Shaq-themed memorabilia and content, extending his legacy as the most dominant center in NBA history.

Quote:
“I want to thank NBA 2K for their continuous support of my basketball and broadcast career,” said O’Neal, whose Hall of Fame enshrinement late last year celebrates a storied 19-year career. “I’m excited to be on the cover of the NBA 2K18 Legend Edition and I hope my fans have a blast playing it up big man style and re-creating my most legendary in-game moments!”

O’Neal’s Legend Edition appearance on NBA 2K18 marks the third NBA 2K cover appearance for the 15-time NBA All-Star and 14-time All-NBA selection. O'Neal, who played 19 NBA seasons, was inducted into the Naismith Memorial Basketball Hall of Fame in 2016.

The NBA 2K18 Legend Edition and Legend Edition Gold will be available in both digital and physical formats for $99.99 and $149.99, respectively, on PlayStation®4 computer entertainment system, and Xbox One. NBA 2K18 Legend Edition and Legend Edition Gold will be available in physical format on Nintendo Switch. The NBA 2K18 Legend Edition Gold physical edition is available exclusively at GameStop.

Developed by Visual Concepts, NBA 2K18 is not yet rated by the ESRB. NBA 2K18 will be available for PlayStation®4 system and PlayStation®3 computer entertainment system, Xbox One and Xbox 360, Nintendo Switch, and Windows PC platforms on September 19, 2017.

Fans can pre-order NBA 2K18 at participating North American retail and online vendors, ensuring they receive their copy and in-game bonuses four days early beginning on September 15, 2017.

NBA 2K18 screenshot gallery - Click to view NBA 2K18 screenshot gallery - Click to view
Game: NBA 2K18Hype Score: 9/10 - Vote Now
Platform: Nintendo Switch / PC / PS3 / PS4 / Xbox 360 / Xbox OneVotes for game: 5 - View All
Member Comments
# 121 Smirkin Dirk @ 05/13/17 04:18 AM
Destiny came out with a $170 edition where you could get a replica helmet or something. Who cares. The dude at the store didn't make me buy it.

# 122 jackzagal @ 05/13/17 05:26 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by jk31
I don't get why I should want a "shaq edition" of something where I do not have anything physical because I just download it^^
I was talking about those who would prefer the physical edition, of course. Lakers' Shaq is more marketable than Heat's because he was a better player and won more Championships and whatnot; and there are way more Lakers' fans than Heat's. I'm a Lakers' fan and I won't buy that edition just because it's got one of the best players in franchise history; I did it last year with Kobe (80 €) because he had just retired but after seeing all the game's bull****, I'm only buying the standard edition, and not in launch day. But there are people who will "take the bait" and they will make a good profit from it

# 123 hesko @ 05/13/17 09:25 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Antonioshellz
Right. No one is forced to buy this version. I guess people like having something to be upset over....

Sent from my SM-G935T using Operation Sports mobile app
all day, every day. sad ain't it. smh

# 124 VAWereWolf65 @ 05/13/17 10:13 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Smirkin Dirk
They didn't. It's still $60.
I'm talking about the legend edition lol. I figured that was obvious

# 125 Smirkin Dirk @ 05/13/17 10:17 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by VAWereWolf65
I'm talking about the legend edition lol. I figured that was obvious
You don't have to buy that either.

# 126 VAWereWolf65 @ 05/13/17 11:02 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Smirkin Dirk
You don't have to buy that either.
I understand that I don't and I won't. I just don't see why they raised it $50.

Release Crappy Game = Make next game 50 bucks extra

?

# 127 Smirkin Dirk @ 05/13/17 11:11 PM
Quote:

?
Because capitalism. And because they are digital products, they have barely any manufacturing costs if this edition doesn't sell.

And it wasn't a crappy game. And 2K18 won't be 50 bucks extra.

# 128 youvalss @ 05/14/17 12:01 AM
Quote:

?
You need to think like an executive at 2K: the game sold (shipped) what? 7-8 million units? That's all that matters. Why not add extra content and sell it for $XX? Going by the numbers it's the best NBA 2K ever, doesn't matter if it doesn't make sense.

# 129 midwestking100 @ 05/14/17 12:37 AM
Hopefully there will be new shaq teams to play with at least and not fool us like they did with kobe

# 130 VAWereWolf65 @ 05/14/17 01:40 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by youvalss
You need to think like an executive at 2K: the game sold (shipped) what? 7-8 million units? That's all that matters. Why not add extra content and sell it for $XX? Going by the numbers it's the best NBA 2K ever, doesn't matter if it doesn't make sense.
Going by the content it's the worst 2k ever. I guess that doesn't matter to anyone else tho lol because people are still gonna buy it for $150 when the same thing only cost $100 last year

# 131 Junior Moe @ 05/14/17 06:21 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by hesko
all day, every day. sad ain't it. smh
Yep. The same negative posts and threads by the same people. Just don't buy the damn game and be done with it.

# 132 Gosens6 @ 05/14/17 07:42 AM
Quote:
Going by the content it's the worst 2k ever. I guess that doesn't matter to anyone else tho lol because people are still gonna buy it for $150 when the same thing only cost $100 last year
Man, I swear. "This is the worst 2K ever" is the most overused term in the history of OS.

By OS logic, every 2K that's ever been released has been the worst 2K ever. You'd think everyone would have learned their lesson by now

# 133 alecast @ 05/14/17 10:14 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gosens6
Man, I swear. "This is the worst 2K ever" is the most overused term in the history of OS.

By some OS logic, every 2K that's ever been released has been the worst 2K ever. You'd think everyone would have learned their lesson by now

This is a message for those who say 2K17 is the worst ever: DON'T BUY 2K18 BECAUSE BY YOUR LOGIC IT IS GONNA BE THE WORST EVER.

Save you some money for another game. Don't bother spending your dolars with a game you will consider the worst ever by your own logic.

# 134 VAWereWolf65 @ 05/14/17 10:37 AM
Quote:

By OS logic, every 2K that's ever been released has been the worst 2K ever. You'd think everyone would have learned their lesson by now
can you name a 2k with worse gameplay? maybe 2k13 but that's a pretty big stretch. 2k16 was one of my favorite games ever. I didn't have any major problems with it. I don't think it's that hard to see that this was the worst 2k ever content wise

# 135 Gosens6 @ 05/14/17 10:43 AM
Quote:
can you name a 2k with worse gameplay? maybe 2k13 but that's a pretty big stretch. 2k16 was one of my favorite games ever. I didn't have any major problems with it. I don't think it's that hard to see that this was the worst 2k ever content wise

2K9 and 2K10 for starters had worse gameplay. 2K14 next gen had significantly worse gameplay.

I won't even mention the PS2 and Xbox era ..

The point is, according to a handful of users on OS, every single year is the "worst 2K ever". Some people just need to stop buying the game if that's their stance.

Sent from my iPhone using Operation Sports

# 136 VAWereWolf65 @ 05/14/17 12:31 PM
Quote:
2K9 and 2K10 for starters had worse gameplay. 2K14 next gen had significantly worse gameplay.

I won't even mention the PS2 and Xbox era ..

The point is, according to a handful of users on OS, every single year is the "worst 2K ever". Some people just need to stop buying the game if that's their stance.

Well I don't think it's really fair to compare a PS2 game to a PS4 game...

The gameplay was good for the time period when it came out.

2k9 and 10 were bad but not as sloppy as 2k17

This is all my opinion though. You're obviously entitled to believe whatever you want but this is what I believe.

# 137 Gosens6 @ 05/14/17 12:35 PM
Quote:
Well I don't think it's really fair to compare a PS2 game to a PS4 game...

The gameplay was good for the time period when it came out.

2k9 and 10 were bad but not as sloppy as 2k17

This is all my opinion though. You're obviously entitled to believe whatever you want but this is what I believe.

I said in my post I won't even mention the PS2 and Xbox games ..

You're absolutely right about opinions, but let me ask you this. In your honest opinion, name ONE thing 2K9 , 2K10 and 2K14 did that were superior to 2K17.

# 138 Comduklakis @ 05/14/17 12:39 PM
I think our expectations grow though. So what we found acceptable in 2k4 and 2k5 is not what is acceptable in 2k17. At this point I don't know how much of it is me and how much of it is 2k but I haven't been really happy with a 2k since 2k12. I think my frustration lies less in the game not being perfect and more in legacy issues that never get fixed (e.g. guys playing with 3 and 4 fouls in the 1st half) and in the fact that 2k spends more time creating new modes and new fancy features than fixing existing features, fine tuning gameplay, and most of all beta testing the game instead of releasing it with basic, obvious flaws.

That said, I get it. VC makes money. Shiny new features attract casual gamers. Advertising "better free agent logic and rotations" is hardly somehting you put in a press release. So with the economics what they are, I'm long ago become comfortable with 30 team control to take care of issues in franchise mode. I realize as an offline player who doesn't spend a dime over the 60 bucks that I am the least of 2k's concerns. Ultimately I make the decision each year whether I want the game or not. For the last 3 years I've said to myself I probably shouldn't buy but then I hear enough good stuff here to take a shot. And ultimately if I get enough enjoyment out of the game despite the frustrations of moving screens, being sucked into animations, turbo AI players running down John Wall, etc. then it was worth it.

In a perfect world a well funded game with rights to the NBA players would present itself as competition. But I wouldnt' hold my breath so that leaves two choices: buy or don't buy. The latter may send a message to 2k. However, just because I do buy I don't give up my right to criticize the game and to be unhappy with certain aspects.

# 139 VAWereWolf65 @ 05/14/17 12:44 PM
Quote:
I said in my post I won't even mention the PS2 and Xbox games ..

You're absolutely right about opinions, but let me ask you this. In your honest opinion, name ONE thing 2K9 , 2K10 and 2K14 did that were superior to 2K17.

I hardly remember those games that in depth, 2k9 was almost 9 years ago. Maybe it was just because I wasn't as big of a gamer back then, but I don't remember being nearly as frustrated with little things that could have easily been fixed if a little more time was put into it

# 140 Gosens6 @ 05/14/17 12:52 PM
Quote:
I hardly remember those games that in depth, 2k9 was almost 9 years ago. Maybe it was just because I wasn't as big of a gamer back then, but I don't remember being nearly as frustrated with little things that could have easily been fixed if a little more time was put into it
By no means am I saying 2K17 is the perfect game, heck, go look at my post history and you can see I was very very critical of the game this year.

My thing is, and this is what's so frustrating is the borderline agenda posting by certain users here every single day about how horrible the game is, it's the worst game ever, etc.

Instead of that, why not threads and posts on how these things that are so bad can be improved on? How can we help the devs implement better defensive rotations? What suggestions can we give to improve the flawed shooting system?

No one wants to do that, everyone wants to bash and complain. The devs who create this game are as talented as any game developer out there, but they're also human. They owned up to 2K17 as not their best work, hell, they pretty much confirmed they were disappointed with the final product. These guys admittedly make mistakes, which is why they come to this board for interaction.

Hell, they look to us for advice and they take it in stride. How many members of this community work for them now? This community used to be the place to go for advice, help, workarounds, working with devs to improve the game. Now the cool thing is to complain, moan, offer no advice and tell the devs hot terrible they are.

Look, this isn't a personal attack on you, or anyone else. My whole point is that we as a community need to take a hard look and see what hell is being posted here every single day. In the end, 95% of us want a good, sim basketball game.

Post A Comment
Only OS members can post comments
Please login or register to post a comment.