Home
Madden NFL 18 News Post

The Madden NFL 18 Creative Director, Rex Dickson has posted an image on Twitter with a brief description of each game style in the game. As noted earlier this morning, Madden NFL 18 will have 3 new game styles, Arcade, Simulation and Competitive. We should hear more details about these game styles as EA Play gets closer.

Game: Madden NFL 18Hype Score: 6/10 - Vote Now
Platform: PS3 / PS4 / Xbox 360 / Xbox OneVotes for game: 9 - View All
Member Comments
# 281 Ueauvan @ 06/08/17 06:45 AM
52 here, bring back Joe Montana on my PC

i liked madden 08 on pc and much prefer pc to consoles, given that i have hc06/09, NCAAs, Maddens ... as a Brit

# 282 roadman @ 06/08/17 09:05 AM
So far, I'm older than all of you put together. (nah, just kidding)

I started out playing with those electronic football games with the stick figures, photo electric football(think easy bake oven with a lightbulb) and talking football.

Atari started with 3 vs 3 football, kinda funny looking back. I don't play many sports games outside of football and basketball because I don't own a PS. Personally, I feel the 2k series, game play, has gone downhill for the past few years, but that is my opinion. i didn't get into the 2k football series until later on. I did enjoy the realism of the game.

I'm not much into socks or uni's either and from where I sit, I don't think they put much stock into it because it's not a back of the box item and not where they put the top resources at the moment. Could they? Sure, will they, who knows?

This year, I felt the game play was much better and kept me hooked longer. I finished 8-8 with a recent CFM with the Packers and Rodgers hit 67% of his passes with 40 Td's and 20 int's. A bit much on the INT end, but pretty much realistic on the other numbers. I finished the WC game and lost to Brees and the Saints. Also, I know someone mentioned about 5th string QB's vs 1st stringers. This year, you could tell the difference more vs previous years, but still needs improvement. In the last game, Brees missed a lot and hit 63% of his passes. Here's the thing, this game was built and tested on default sliders. If you go one click from default either way, you will have those wacky un NFL games galore.

I'm glad there are people carrying and wearing the passionate flag for CFM(it is lacking in features) and game play to hold them accountable. At my advancing age, I just don't have the time or desire to sit for a game for hours(I know there are save points) when there are other more important things happening in this so called life. My secret is that I sim the off seasons, it works for me until I get into the CPU offseason logic garbage.(happens a lot)

A look back from an "older guy."

# 283 OhMrHanky @ 06/08/17 09:20 AM
Yup. 43, here. Most jarring football video game transition of my life was from NFL 2k5 to madden 06. Lol. That was the WORST year of my life! [emoji6]. That being said, 06 was decent, actually, and as many have mentioned, the franchise was pretty good, there. But, yeah, madden really grew slowly year to year. U know, they lost a year when moving from ps1 to ps2, I believe. They lost a year when moving from Xbox to 360, as well. That first attempt on 360 was god awful and roughly unplayable. I think that might've been the time that I really got into FIFA. Lol.

But, madden started to get better. I think there may be heavy issues with the head guys, there. U know, the suits that want the 'money making' back of box features without realizing how much work needs to be done to the bare bones stuff (animation, physics, locomotion, etc). Rex's team has definitely stepped up, imo, and it's been interesting to see his vision move forward. And, I'll continue to say, their first implementation of the infinity engine with M13 was actually quite good. It had its glitches, but the animations during gameplay were actually decent. The default tuning was quite off, unfortunately, but with the right sliders, I saw all sorts of animations and truly saw an 'infinite' amount of tackles instead of the same old canned animations. I was disappointed with 25, as they kind of went away from that idea, and to be fair, a lot of people didn't like it (I still don't understand this. m13 finally moved the game in the right direction for me, lol, more physics based similar to FIFA, but c'est la vie).

But since 25, they have made improvements every year. 16 was totally solid, imo. Perfect, no, of course not. But, the fact that they added WR/CB interactions, this was a first. 17 added some extra controls to jukes and whatnot and overall, jukes work a little better. And, with 16 and 17, I think, similar to some posters, here, I finally took the attitude of 'just play football.' Lol. Don't worry about this funky animation. Don't worry about your stupid RB that just ran out of bounds for no reason after catching a ball in the flat. 'Just play football'. And, honestly, 16 and 17 both allow u to 'just play football'.

So, I'm pleased with the last several years. And, again, curious to see if I notice legacy issues cleaned up as Rex has stated they cleaned up a lot of those. I'm glad they've scrapped the '3 year plan' also. Lol. Every 3 years, getting a completely new build or engine? No thanks. Keep building on what u got. Keep cleaning the underneath junk under the hood, and add stuff when u can. As an avid FIFA player, as well, I will say, if they could drop that FIFA engine in, change some ball physics from soccer to football, I think I'd love it. Lol. FIFA 17 was totally solid, imo, and a completely enjoyable game from head to toe.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

# 284 ODogg @ 06/08/17 10:20 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by tyberious4now
Just browsing thru this forum it is amazing to me reading different comment from different generation of players. .....I'm telling my age **cough cough* 47 yrs old and still going strong with Madden since the beginning. ....

I couldn't imagine playing this type of Madden game (which is very good to me in its current state) 20 something years ago lol..I'm telling you younger cats the progression of Madden though not perfect is leaps and bounds better when I first started playing......
I too am 47 and I do think age and our background plays a bit of a role in how we view the game.

# 285 michapop9 @ 06/08/17 12:24 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by roadman
So far, I'm older than all of you put together. (nah, just kidding)

I started out playing with those electronic football games with the stick figures, photo electric football(think easy bake oven with a lightbulb) and talking football.

Atari started with 3 vs 3 football, kinda funny looking back. I don't play many sports games outside of football and basketball because I don't own a PS. Personally, I feel the 2k series, game play, has gone downhill for the past few years, but that is my opinion. i didn't get into the 2k football series until later on. I did enjoy the realism of the game.

I'm not much into socks or uni's either and from where I sit, I don't think they put much stock into it because it's not a back of the box item and not where they put the top resources at the moment. Could they? Sure, will they, who knows?

This year, I felt the game play was much better and kept me hooked longer. I finished 8-8 with a recent CFM with the Packers and Rodgers hit 67% of his passes with 40 Td's and 20 int's. A bit much on the INT end, but pretty much realistic on the other numbers. I finished the WC game and lost to Brees and the Saints. Also, I know someone mentioned about 5th string QB's vs 1st stringers. This year, you could tell the difference more vs previous years, but still needs improvement. In the last game, Brees missed a lot and hit 63% of his passes. Here's the thing, this game was built and tested on default sliders. If you go one click from default either way, you will have those wacky un NFL games galore.

I'm glad there are people carrying and wearing the passionate flag for CFM(it is lacking in features) and game play to hold them accountable. At my advancing age, I just don't have the time or desire to sit for a game for hours(I know there are save points) when there are other more important things happening in this so called life. My secret is that I sim the off seasons, it works for me until I get into the CPU offseason logic garbage.(happens a lot)

A look back from an "older guy."
I appreciate the perspective roadman,. The cpu qbs will miss and theres a slight difference between great and average, however on all pro default user qbs are plug and play, literally from a throwing accuracy standpoint it does not matter. If anyone says differently i would question their sanity.

So when ea says misses arent fun and then in the same compàny line bs says Madden 15 16 and 17 were for the hardcore simulation crowd x. I think its very reasonable to be a little upset.

Completely kills immersion.

# 286 roadman @ 06/08/17 12:39 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by michapop9
I appreciate the perspective roadman,. The cpu qbs will miss and theres a slight difference between great and average, however on all pro default user qbs are plug and play, literally from a throwing accuracy standpoint it does not matter. If anyone says differently i would question their sanity.

So when ea says misses arent fun and then in the same compàny line bs says Madden 15 16 and 17 were for the hardcore simulation crowd x. I think its very reasonable to be a little upset.

Completely kills immersion.
I agree with this, too, but the way I approach it, user experiences can be different from person to person too.

For me, Rodgers hitting 67% of his passes with 40td's with 4000 yds passing is very similar to his stats last year. (except for this user throwing 13 more picks)

Someone else that has different skills than mine may have better stats than I do with Rodgers.

You are entitled to question my sanity all you want.

I didn't say whether different people could or can't be upset, I specifically recall stating to wear the banner with whatever passion you have.

Sorry if you misinterpreted my post.

# 287 michapop9 @ 06/08/17 12:52 PM
I didnt mean any offense by my post, my frustration is directed at ea.

My experience has been that you could take any qb and plug him in and get those same Rodgers like numbers. Experiences may vary, but i doubt by very much.

# 288 roadman @ 06/08/17 12:55 PM
Quote:

My experience has been that you could take any qb and plug him in and get those same Rodgers like numbers. Experiences may vary, but i doubt by very much.
Ok, I understand, I wouldn't know because I only use one team, but I might try a different team now.

# 289 Lexicon @ 06/08/17 12:59 PM
I've seen a few people on here say that Franchise Mode is fine the way it is, and that they're happy with it, sans some tweaking needed, but they often focus on Gameplay.

I'm actually the other way around. I think the Gameplay is just fine. It's not where it needs to be and it could use more improvements, but it's fun to play and it's dynamic, which is all I can really ask for on that front. Am I having fun actually playing the on-field game? Yes. I've put in over 250 hours since February in my 32-team controlled Franchise.

On the Franchise Mode end, however, I think they could be doing a lot better. And it's not even a features thing at this point for me. It's the UI, it's the lifeless feeling of the mode, and it's also the underwhelming feeling of it being way behind where I think it should be, having played these games for as long as I have. The thing that keeps me playing is the gameplay, and I enjoy playing the game, but I can't honestly say I enjoy Franchise Mode.

When I look at the NCAA Football 14 Dynasty Mode... I never heard a word from that team on Twitter or anywhere (I personally didn't), but I can FEEL the passion in the mode itself. I don't feel that with Madden's Franchise Mode. I feel it in MUT. I feel it in the gameplay. But it seems to be devoid in FM.

I'm 29 and have been playing since about Madden 95. I long for the day that FM gets its day in the sun again.

# 290 JoshC1977 @ 06/08/17 01:37 PM
Quote:

I must be crazy then...because I think that there is a definite difference in user qb play from qb to qb. But, it is very dependent on how you play; I would hardly classify user qbs as plug and play.

However I think madden 15&16 did a much better job with the qb inaccuracy compared to 17 and there is still room for improvement....

# 291 R1zzo23 @ 06/08/17 01:50 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lexicon
I've seen a few people on here say that Franchise Mode is fine the way it is, and that they're happy with it, sans some tweaking needed, but they often focus on Gameplay.

I'm actually the other way around. I think the Gameplay is just fine. It's not where it needs to be and it could use more improvements, but it's fun to play and it's dynamic, which is all I can really ask for on that front. Am I having fun actually playing the on-field game? Yes. I've put in over 250 hours since February in my 32-team controlled Franchise.

On the Franchise Mode end, however, I think they could be doing a lot better. And it's not even a features thing at this point for me. It's the UI, it's the lifeless feeling of the mode, and it's also the underwhelming feeling of it being way behind where I think it should be, having played these games for as long as I have. The thing that keeps me playing is the gameplay, and I enjoy playing the game, but I can't honestly say I enjoy Franchise Mode.

When I look at the NCAA Football 14 Dynasty Mode... I never heard a word from that team on Twitter or anywhere (I personally didn't), but I can FEEL the passion in the mode itself. I don't feel that with Madden's Franchise Mode. I feel it in MUT. I feel it in the gameplay. But it seems to be devoid in FM.

I'm 29 and have been playing since about Madden 95. I long for the day that FM gets its day in the sun again.
I couldn't agree more with this post! I've been a franchise guy through-and-through. I've dabbled in MUT and online competitive play years ago, but at this point of my life single player, offline franchise is what I'm all about. I can't stand the UI of franchise mode from Madden lately and I think it is very clunky and unattractive. On top of that, it feels lifeless.

I have played NCAA 14's dynasty mode ever since it has been released and never get bored of it. It feels as if it has a life of its own and keeps me coming back for more.

I'm 30 and also have a Texas avatar so I think this makes us brothers or something?

# 292 OhMrHanky @ 06/08/17 01:56 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by JoshC1977
I must be crazy then...because I think that there is a definite difference in user qb play from qb to qb. But, it is very dependent on how you play; I would hardly classify user qbs as plug and play.

However I think madden 15&16 did a much better job with the qb inaccuracy compared to 17 and there is still room for improvement....

I'm in my 5th or 6th season, I think, with the Falcons. I MISS Matty Ice SO MUCH!!!! Lol. I picked a QB in the 1st or 2nd round 1 year early (before Ryan's contract was over, cause I figured I'd start a new QB career since Ryan would still want money and whatnot). I picked a decent guy. He's only 78 ovr, but he's got like 88/85/65 for short/med/deep accuracies. And, he's mobile. He started throwing deep ints with that low deep acc, so I had picks to play with, and took another QB that based on scouting, I thought might be a little better in the next draft. This guy is slightly different. Same ovr, roughly, but he is 85/89/76.

So, I decide to bench the first guy for some ints and make the season interesting with a little QB controversy. Lol. Which is real, because, legit, my offense isn't gangbusters right now and he's throwing too many picks. I'm 8-1, but still, u know? Why not? My D is totally solid. Anyways, I put this other guy in, and he's able to hit more deep throws, but, legit, he's overthrowing some short throws!!!! For incompletions on 3rd and 5's and ints short/med. lol. So, I am absolutely seeing different play from Ryan to my 1-2 year QBs. Maybe, their awareness is bringing them down even more, I haven't checked that. So, for me, I really have to figure out, do I want someone who can throw all the short balls and change my gameplan to all short passes? Or, do I pick the guy who's better deep and deal with some missed short throws. So, anyways, overall point being, I have def seen differences in my own QB play between those 3 QBs.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

# 293 illwill10 @ 06/08/17 03:08 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by rhs_rizzo
I couldn't agree more with this post! I've been a franchise guy through-and-through. I've dabbled in MUT and online competitive play years ago, but at this point of my life single player, offline franchise is what I'm all about. I can't stand the UI of franchise mode from Madden lately and I think it is very clunky and unattractive. On top of that, it feels lifeless.

I have played NCAA 14's dynasty mode ever since it has been released and never get bored of it. It feels as if it has a life of its own and keeps me coming back for more.
I completely agree. I haven't really a big issue with gameplay last to iterations. I had a good time playing '16 & '17 as far as gameplay. Yeah surely gameplay has it flaws. But it wasn't like it was unplayable.
But, Franchise doesn't have any luster to it. It just feels so bare. It feels like there could be so much more in Franchise mode. Franchise as it is now just feels like a set of exhibition games with just Scouting/Draft/FA. That's it, doesn't feel like there isn't any storylines, no true NFL atmosphere, no pressure, no outside influences from other games around the league.
NCAA 14's mode was great. Part of it comes from Presentation and sounds , but It felt like a Saturday. The college atmosphere was there. Recruiting and Coach Carousel made it re-playable.

# 294 ODogg @ 06/09/17 11:02 AM
Quote:

What game are you playing? I see a huge difference in top tier QBs like Rodgers versus scrubs like Shaun King. Lower tier QBs throw way more off base passes, are intercepted more and cannot usually throw deep with any sort of accuracy.

Is it as much of a disparity as it should be? No, but QBs are certainly not completely interchangeable like they were years in the past Maddens.

# 295 Retropyro @ 06/09/17 11:07 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lexicon

This, a million times this!

# 296 Playmakers @ 06/09/17 02:30 PM
Quote:
You are not alone man...

For years Madden has never been able to separate qb play especially on default gameplay settings as you pointed out in an earlier post.

Every guy is virtually the same guy in terms of accuracy out of the box

That's why you see so many sliders every year posted on OS and very rarely will you ever see a slider set with QBA at default 50 for USER on any level of Madden

That's because EA has yet to come up with a solution or a SIMULATION setting that captures the QB's close to their Real LIfe counterparts

Brandon Weeden on Default setting human controlled could play like Tom Brady and we all know that ain't right but it's exactly the type of QB we've witnessed for years with the game right out the box.

I remember one year they had the QB Cone thing can't remember what it was called but it did work to a certain extent. I don't think we've seen anything close to it since that time.

# 297 SolidSquid @ 06/09/17 07:05 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Playmakers
You are not alone man...

For years Madden has never been able to separate qb play especially on default gameplay settings as you pointed out in an earlier post.

Every guy is virtually the same guy in terms of accuracy out of the box

That's why you see so many sliders every year posted on OS and very rarely will you ever see a slider set with QBA at default 50 for USER on any level of Madden

That's because EA has yet to come up with a solution or a SIMULATION setting that captures the QB's close to their Real LIfe counterparts

Brandon Weeden on Default setting human controlled could play like Tom Brady and we all know that ain't right but it's exactly the type of QB we've witnessed for years with the game right out the box.

I remember one year they had the QB Cone thing can't remember what it was called but it did work to a certain extent. I don't think we've seen anything close to it since that time.
Qb cone was the last time there was a substantial difference between qbs

# 298 R1zzo23 @ 06/09/17 07:43 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by SolidSquid
Qb cone was the last time there was a substantial difference between qbs
Agreed and I would have no problem bringing that back whatsoever.

# 299 ODogg @ 06/09/17 11:56 PM
Flashlight football was awful and it will never come back because most people hated it

Sent from my iPad using Operation Sports

# 300 NDAlum @ 06/10/17 10:38 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by tyberious4now
Just browsing thru this forum it is amazing to me reading different comment from different generation of players. .....I'm telling my age **cough cough* 47 yrs old and still going strong with Madden since the beginning. ....

What people are expecting in a Video game vs real football is amazing...Has Madden improved over the years you betcha; will it every be a true simulation in every way I doubt it but it doesn't mean you can't enjoy it to its fullest...

I couldn't imagine playing this type of Madden game (which is very good to me in its current state) 20 something years ago lol..I'm telling you younger cats the progression of Madden though not perfect is leaps and bounds better when I first started playing......

Madden back then has never delivered a perfect game and I don't expect now just make the best out what ya have and game on!!!!!
The one thing I want the most which I feel gets worse every year is the CPU AI.

Post A Comment
Only OS members can post comments
Please login or register to post a comment.