Home
Madden NFL 18 News Post

The Madden NFL 18 Creative Director, Rex Dickson has posted an image on Twitter with a brief description of each game style in the game. As noted earlier this morning, Madden NFL 18 will have 3 new game styles, Arcade, Simulation and Competitive. We should hear more details about these game styles as EA Play gets closer.

Game: Madden NFL 18Hype Score: 6/10 - Vote Now
Platform: PS3 / PS4 / Xbox 360 / Xbox OneVotes for game: 9 - View All
Member Comments
# 21 EricFreakingBerry @ 05/12/17 03:12 PM
Definitely not trying to bring in any negativity here, but I'd say the "Simulation" style will align more with how anyone playing the game now on All-Pro or All-Madden play. Arcade probably means tons of broken tackles, faster players, one-handed catches, etc, and Competitive probably levels the playing field to where everyone on the field seems to play the same so what the user does is most important.

Hopefully there's some "surprises" under the Simulation hood, but I would expect it to feel pretty similar to how I've played M17.

# 22 LBzrule @ 05/12/17 03:17 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by CM Hooe
Could not agree more. Let me live and die based on my own play calling decisions.
If these settings are for online, I do think you will see something similar to the old Fair Play that they had back on one of the NCAA games and I think it was in Madden that year too. You couldn't go for it every 4th down, but there were critical times where you could.

Notice where it says authentic NFL Rules and Gameplay So I do think that's going to be a part of simulation.

# 23 4thQtrStre5S @ 05/12/17 03:22 PM
Since it mentions Competitive mode as being like tournament etc, I would say it is more what we see in Madden 17 now...QB throws on target; incomplete passes are due to receivers being hit; offensive and defensive lines, regardless of player ratings, are generally going to hold up, etc.

I know I am not the only one here that has made observations that the game is tweaked/updated, with tournament in mind after release.

I believe the addition of game styles will eliminate the alienation of each group by universal changes to the game by providing departmentalized updates.

WHat I wanna know: will Simulation mode allow for linemen to be injured?

# 24 adembroski @ 05/12/17 03:29 PM
99% sure the ONLY difference between sim and competitive will do is alter how much ratings play a role.

Don't over think it. It's just going to eliminate random mistakes for tournament play. The best we can hope for is that the gameplay team feels free to really enhance the differences in ratings within sim.

Sent from my SM-G930P using Operation Sports mobile app

# 25 vrtkolman @ 05/12/17 03:37 PM
I'm pretty certain that sim mode is going to be "normal" Madden. The mode differences are only there to separate competitive games out into it's own thing. The fact that the description for sim mode says "play with authentic NFL rules", indicates to me that penalties are going to be disabled in competitive games.

# 26 JayD @ 05/12/17 03:42 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by adembroski
99% sure the ONLY difference between sim and competitive will do is alter how much ratings play a role.

Don't over think it. It's just going to eliminate random mistakes for tournament play. The best we can hope for is that the gameplay team feels free to really enhance the differences in ratings within sim.

How can you be so sure just from a photo?

# 27 DeuceDouglas @ 05/12/17 04:05 PM
Quote:
Quote:
Thought this was an odd response. Right reads only matter on competitive game style?

# 28 Cowboy008 @ 05/12/17 04:14 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by DeuceDouglas
Thought this was an odd response. Right reads only matter on competitive game style?
Maybe in competitive mode you only have to make the right read and it won't take into account your QB's rating. So they won't under/over throw the WR.

# 29 CM Hooe @ 05/12/17 04:23 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by LBzrule
If these settings are for online, I do think you will see something similar to the old Fair Play that they had back on one of the NCAA games and I think it was in Madden that year too. You couldn't go for it every 4th down, but there were critical times where you could.

Notice where it says authentic NFL Rules and Gameplay So I do think that's going to be a part of simulation.
I remember the fair play setting from those older games. I do think it was a necessary addition for its time given how easy it was to exploit the PS2 Madden games, what with rocket catches and whatever else.

That said, as someone who considers going for it on any 4th and 5 or less from my own 40 and in (call me aggressive if you must), I hope this is not the case. The game is getting increasingly more balanced every year and real-life play callers are getting increasingly more aggressive every year, especially in light of the rise of analytics in football. I don't count on the game being flexible enough to accommodate an analytics-informed play calling style while preventing "outright cheese" as it were.

# 30 DeuceDouglas @ 05/12/17 04:31 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cowboy008
Maybe in competitive mode you only have to make the right read and it won't take into account your QB's rating. So they won't under/over throw the WR.
Could be. Making the right read being the only thing you have to worry about would make sense in a competitive setting. The guy who tweeted at Rex did say this too though:

Quote:
I personally think that the Competitive setting in 18 should more closely resemble the way 17 is now rather than Simulation. Going to be interesting to see how this is handled.

# 31 Cowboy008 @ 05/12/17 04:38 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by DeuceDouglas
I personally think that the Competitive setting in 18 should more closely resemble the way 17 is now rather than Simulation. Going to be interesting to see how this is handled.
I would think the Sim game style would be what Rex said and not Competitive. I agree it will be interesting to see how they do it.

# 32 NateDogPack12 @ 05/12/17 04:40 PM
I do wonder what exactly "target passing" is. That could mean a variety of things but hopefully it's a mechanism that allows the game to portray inaccurate balls and to differentiate between classes of QB's. Makes me wonder if it could be some type of MLBtS style mechanic.

# 33 DaSmerg @ 05/12/17 05:07 PM
Always exciting, new Madden launch. And switching to a new game engine. Oh my!

But some of us that have been here for the whole Madden ride know this game all too well.

My question is this really a new game? Or is this M.o.t.S., new graphic engine placed on top of flawed coding? Because you can call it Ultimate Simulation Mode all you want if the old legacy stuff still applies to our fancy new graphics.

# 34 therizing02 @ 05/12/17 05:09 PM
It'll be interesting to see how they differentiate difficulty levels for each of the game styles.

Maybe I missed it, but how will All Pro differ from All Madden? It seems if the game style is simulation and ratings are the end all be all they should be able to do away with the difficulty levels.

No?

# 35 Stats85 @ 05/12/17 06:07 PM
Already chosen my style simulation

# 36 ednaaard @ 05/12/17 06:26 PM
I wonder how this is going to work with sliders. I hope each setting doesn't just set a different slider set for each, that would be incredibly lazy...

# 37 SolidSquid @ 05/12/17 06:32 PM
Glad we are finally getting game play options, hopefully sim means we get bad snaps, botched handoffs etc. does anyone else feel like there should be a combination of stick skills and ratings though? I don't want to be able to dominate with any player, but I want there to be some user skill involved with the game.

# 38 adembroski @ 05/12/17 06:56 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by JayD
How can you be so sure just from a photo?
It's not the photo, it's Clint hinting at the idea over the past year.

Also, I used to work there and something like that is proposed every year. The main problem has usually been having to tune the game for different playstyles.

# 39 apollon42 @ 05/12/17 07:13 PM
I hope that under simulation they give us realistic penalties. Let the cheesers play on competitive. Let us sim heads have our sim game.

# 40 OhMrHanky @ 05/12/17 08:43 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by SolidSquid
Glad we are finally getting game play options, hopefully sim means we get bad snaps, botched handoffs etc. does anyone else feel like there should be a combination of stick skills and ratings though? I don't want to be able to dominate with any player, but I want there to be some user skill involved with the game.

Yeah, I was thinking/worrying about this, too. I think it will be ok, though. I'm thinking sim may be more based on ratings, but certainly stick skills will still play a role. Perhaps, in comp mode, they will simply be weighted quite a bit more. I do find it interesting the tweet where Rex said comp mode would have over/under thrown balls when throwing into coverage, but sim would be the way it is now? Lol. Should be the other way around. But, I'm going to hope for the best. As much as I'm a sim guy, it might end up being possible that comp mode is more my style. But, then penalties might not be there. And, so I slider that sucker out. Oh no!!!! Slideritis!!! Crap, now I'm starting to worry more. Lol. It would be just the worst deal that madden FINALLY gives us arcade/sim modes AND they even think to add a comp mode as another variant they see necessary, but they mix/match pieces of what we want as sim with comp and vice versa!!! Lol. Oh, man. I'll still hope for the best right now. [emoji41]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Post A Comment
Only OS members can post comments
Please login or register to post a comment.