Home
Madden NFL 18 News Post

The Madden NFL 18 Creative Director, Rex Dickson has posted an image on Twitter with a brief description of each game style in the game. As noted earlier this morning, Madden NFL 18 will have 3 new game styles, Arcade, Simulation and Competitive. We should hear more details about these game styles as EA Play gets closer.

Game: Madden NFL 18Hype Score: 6/10 - Vote Now
Platform: PS3 / PS4 / Xbox 360 / Xbox OneVotes for game: 9 - View All
Member Comments
# 41 DeuceDouglas @ 05/12/17 08:49 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by OhMrHanky
I do find it interesting the tweet where Rex said comp mode would have over/under thrown balls when throwing into coverage, but sim would be the way it is now?

Just to clarify on this it was the guy that tweeted Rex that said this, not Rex himself. I totally agree though that it should be the other way around and that's what confused me about it. Seemed backwards.

# 42 adembroski @ 05/12/17 10:22 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by adembroski
It's not the photo, it's Clint hinting at the idea over the past year.

Also, I used to work there and something like that is proposed every year. The main problem has usually been having to tune the game for different playstyles.

Sent from my SM-G930P using Operation Sports mobile app
I don't wanna constantly be the guy throwing cold water on things here, so let me say this; the conversation often goes like this.

Designer 1: Hey, why don't we have random events like fumbled snaps and botched holds?

Designer 2: Because the online competitive crowd would lose their ****. Sim guys would like it, but we need both crowds.

Designer 1: So why not have a sim/competitive setting?

Designer 2: Because we don't have the manpower to tune both.

So it's quite possible they'll do some of that other cool sim stuff and make this happen. I VERY much doubt it'll have any effect on playcalling (restricting 4th down to special teams, things like that), but you could very much see more of those out-of-your-hands random events in the future.

Throw on top of that, Clint Oldenburg. I didn't get a lot of opportunity to get to know him, as he came on board just before the start of the Madden 25 cycle and I left a few months into it, but we had a few talks in which he reinforced repeatedly that he was a sim guy to the core. He knows what the sim community wants, and he wants it too. So there's that.

# 43 XtremeDunkz @ 05/12/17 11:09 PM
Yeah I don't think these game styles will make any huge differences, at least not this year.

# 44 jfsolo @ 05/12/17 11:19 PM
Things that I'm pretty certain that will be very different on sim mode are higher number of penalties and injuries, more fatigue, and decreased QB accuracy.

Things that I hope will be different are, realistically short amount of time to throw in the pocket, with the pressure being due to ratings and football concepts not glitching out the blocking A.I., In CFM, no artificial position switching restrictions, a faster and less forgiving kick meter, tackle battle gone.

Things I'm not expecting this year, bad or bobbled snaps,

# 45 DeuceDouglas @ 05/12/17 11:34 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by jfsolo
Things that I'm pretty certain that will be very different on sim mode are higher number of penalties and injuries, more fatigue, and decreased QB accuracy.

Things that I hope will be different are, realistically short amount of time to throw in the pocket, with the pressure being due to ratings and football concepts not glitching out the blocking A.I., In CFM, no artificial position switching restrictions, a faster and less forgiving kick meter, tackle battle gone.

To the bold, I've been thinking about this and I think it was your interaction with Clint that I saw on Twitter where he was talking about time in the pocket being 1.5 seconds and he said something along the lines of "1.5 seconds is 1.5 seconds" and while that is true the mechanics available to evade pressure in Madden are no where near where they are in reality. All you can really do is try to run wide and get outside in Madden and QB's rarely break tackles so when there's pressure it's almost always a sack. I definitely agree with you though but it's something I'd be willing to be more lenient on because of those things. If O-lineman (and backs) were smarter and there was more engaging and steering than shedding and running free then I'd for sure be with having an ultra realistic amount of time to throw especially now with what target passing could entail.

And I don't know if these separate settings will change anything inside CFM but I could definitely be on board with that. And 100% agree with the kick meter and tackle battle. Those are the exact type of options I want to see this year.

# 46 illwill10 @ 05/12/17 11:41 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by jfsolo

Yeah, I just can't see bad snaps, injuries away from ball, more AI false starts this year. Little Things like that aren't really added until the game is established with their game play. Especially stuff like that would upset casual users.
I'm definitely going with Simulation. Hopefully positional ratings will matter. I think a lot of people will have Arcade and Competitive mixed up. Where Arcade will be easier, more high power offense, and have more cheesy/flashy animations occur more often. Competitive is more of how well you are with the sticks than ratings.

# 47 DeuceDouglas @ 05/13/17 12:04 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by illwill10
more AI false starts this year
That is something I'd like to see different within settings as well. With the way it is currently, false starts (and offsides/neutral zone) on both sides can only be triggered with a hard count. So if you never hard count then you'll almost never see either of them on offense. I'd like that to be changed so that they were a bit more random in nature.

One thing I forgot to add that I'd like to see as well is a lot tighter coverage on simulation settings. Windows are small in the NFL and I want to feel that. That's one of those global issues though that I don't think separate settings could really separate.

# 48 Rocky @ 05/13/17 03:42 PM
Eventually, I would like to see this extend to the movement of players....especially QB's and DB's. There needs to be realistic momentum and planting with these positions.

# 49 Madwolf @ 05/13/17 04:03 PM
I'm pretty excited about all of this. I think the first part of simulation mode, at it's core, should be making the ratings correspond to the real life game especially in terms of QB accuracy (especially under pressure), tacking, pass rushing, and other areas.

# 50 jfsolo @ 05/14/17 11:26 AM
Quote:
@KoolaidTheGreat @TheBlackPH03N1X I'm a sim player and I am averaging 4-5 INTs on competitive game style w All Pro difficulty.
Rex Dickson (@RexDEAFootball) May 13, 2017
Quote:
@jfsolo23 @KoolaidTheGreat @TheBlackPH03N1X My usual on simulation 2 per game. Reason: Lower drop INT chance on competitive. I get 3 bad reads per game that are dropped by LB's on sim
Rex Dickson (@RexDEAFootball) May 14, 2017
So this is an interesting tidbit. Rex hasn't yet answered the follow up question about whether or not the drops on sim style are tough INT chances that the LB just couldn't corral or if they are just wide open drops.

It seems that as of right now, sim players can get away with more mental mistakes. It's a conundrum, I want ratings to be respected, but I also want the toughest mental challenge.

# 51 NDAlum @ 05/14/17 11:31 AM
So I wonder if competitive basically just takes out the randomness aka ratings. So basically catch won't even matter. If it hits the hands it'll be caught no questions asked.

Isn't that what the competitive crowd wants?

# 52 DeuceDouglas @ 05/14/17 01:46 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by NDAlum
So I wonder if competitive basically just takes out the randomness aka ratings. So basically catch won't even matter. If it hits the hands it'll be caught no questions asked.

This pretty much falls in line with what I was expecting. No dropped picks or passes. More than likely fumbles only triggered by user hit sticks. Stuff like that.

The interception tweet is interesting because I think there are certain areas that definitely cross over in terms of simulation and competitive and I think that's one of them. If I'm throwing passes directly to players and making terrible reads, I should pay and pay often. That's pretty universal and it goes both ways. I don't want to be dropping a ton of picks or knocking down passes thrown right to my players but the key there is making the AI smart enough to make those opportunities hard to come by and having them come from things like pressure and/or bad ratings because right now they're entirely too common.

# 53 4thQtrStre5S @ 05/15/17 12:38 AM
Quote:

I am also thinking along those lines, but would add that Competitive play would also be more about the user clicking on the player to make a catch, or clicking on nearest defender to make a better tackle, and also may have bonuses to usering a player.

Already in MUT there is a chemistry, and the actual chemistry and what it does escapes me, though I believe it has something to do with the player a user controls throughout the whole play has a greater chance of making an interception when given the opportunity.

Also, prior to M17's release it was stated that players who user catch and such will see a "slight" advantage in making a catch, for example, and I believe in the Simulation mode, these types of usering based bonuses will be removed and left for Competitive mode. But just my guess.

# 54 CM Hooe @ 05/15/17 03:39 AM
Quote:

My thinking is that in competitive mode you'll get a heavy boost in your chances for success, but only if you master the controls.

To piggyback off the catching example - if you try an aggressive or RAC catch in triple coverage, you'll still get the ball knocked out more often than not (similar to what happens currently), but if you do a possession catch and the quarterback throws the ball accurately, you'll basically catch it regardless of ratings.

That's probably the simplest example, but I'm imagining target passing, the new RB moves from M17, and anything else highly associated with "stick skills" are going to be the focal points of competitive mode.

# 55 OhMrHanky @ 05/15/17 08:59 AM
Yeah, I could see simulation giving a +1-2 point(s) boost for user control, but maybe comp gives it +5 or something. Rex has said on twitter more ints in comp mode that open ints simply won't be dropped. Because, u would think, at the end of the day, ratings should matter everywhere, and user control should matter as well. I gotta think it's a points based type deal giving a different factor of help to the dice roll kind of thing. Because, even in sim as a sim guy, I also want my controls to matter some, so I could see something like I said, above. A few points for sim (as I don't think it will be zero) and more points added to catch rating during catch in comp mode, maybe. And, as much of a sim guy as I am, I may actually look at comp mode (even vs CPU in franchise), because I like the idea of user control helping, but I'd like to know the exact amount of boost. Totally onboard with them adding these levels. And, I didn't even see 'comp', we've always discussed arcade vs sim, but with esports and whatnot, this is a great addition. I've heard they will tune these separately, as well (which, I would hope they do), so that's a cool addition to really fine tune the game to everyone's liking. Hopefully, they get the tuning correct. Lol.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

# 56 howboutdat @ 05/15/17 09:28 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by OhMrHanky
Yeah, I could see simulation giving a +1-2 point(s) boost for user control, but maybe comp gives it +5 or something. Rex has said on twitter more ints in comp mode that open ints simply won't be dropped. Because, u would think, at the end of the day, ratings should matter everywhere, and user control should matter as well. I gotta think it's a points based type deal giving a different factor of help to the dice roll kind of thing. Because, even in sim as a sim guy, I also want my controls to matter some, so I could see something like I said, above. A few points for sim (as I don't think it will be zero) and more points added to catch rating during catch in comp mode, maybe. And, as much of a sim guy as I am, I may actually look at comp mode (even vs CPU in franchise), because I like the idea of user control helping, but I'd like to know the exact amount of boost. Totally onboard with them adding these levels. And, I didn't even see 'comp', we've always discussed arcade vs sim, but with esports and whatnot, this is a great addition. I've heard they will tune these separately, as well (which, I would hope they do), so that's a cool addition to really fine tune the game to everyone's liking. Hopefully, they get the tuning correct. Lol.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Yeah , im with you on this. I dont really see how , even in comp mode, you just have guys never drop catches or ints either one. If so then your team could just be anyone , any bum in game and they play like randy moss or deion sanders. That dont seem to make total sense imo, but i can see what your saying as the case, they get + 5 or something boost to all their attributes in comp mode or something.

Im also with you on the Sim thing as well. To me , who ever im usering , im their brains/awareness, im their PRC and other things as well. Outside of that, i am cool with them playing according to their attributes, but honestly it dont feel like they do now to me. I see numerous guys in leagues using 68 overall guys, and even letting the cpu control them and they making plays like a star and leading league in areas.Its kinda crazy, Still dont see oline playing any different really either. Atttributes have to really matter.Otherwise "building" players up with xp is really pointless and just something to consume time.Id really like to see attributes matter in 18 for every single position.The one guy i user, i override his awareness and PRC,outside of that the rest should go based on attributes.

# 57 howboutdat @ 05/15/17 09:31 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by CM Hooe

" the new RB moves from M17"

Im just curious here, what were the new moves for hbs in 17? Do you mean the "quick juke,quick truck, quick spins"? Outside of that i dont recall much new about running back moves . Maybe i missed something. Or maybe thats what your referring to , using the quick moves makes defenders miss .

# 58 roadman @ 05/15/17 09:50 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by howboutdat
Im just curious here, what were the new moves for hbs in 17? Do you mean the "quick juke,quick truck, quick spins"? Outside of that i dont recall much new about running back moves . Maybe i missed something. Or maybe thats what your referring to , using the quick moves makes defenders miss .
https://www.easports.com/madden-nfl/...-special-moves

# 59 ehh @ 05/15/17 09:53 AM
I hope Arcade and Sim aren't simply masking Rookie vs All-Pro on recent Maddens. Meaning if you select Arcade, you're playing on Rookie, etc. I hope there is an obvious difference in the two styles.

# 60 Jarodd21 @ 05/15/17 10:11 AM
From what I'm seeing for each mode you can still adjust the skill level. I was afraid if I choose simulation I would be stuck with Pro or All-Pro. It looks like I can put it on Simulation and crank it up to All-Madden which we would be a great thing for me. I have yet to play a Madden game where All-Pro resulted in a challenge for me personally.

Post A Comment
Only OS members can post comments
Please login or register to post a comment.