Home
Madden NFL 18 News Post

The Madden NFL 18 Creative Director, Rex Dickson has posted an image on Twitter with a brief description of each game style in the game. As noted earlier this morning, Madden NFL 18 will have 3 new game styles, Arcade, Simulation and Competitive. We should hear more details about these game styles as EA Play gets closer.

Game: Madden NFL 18Hype Score: 6/10 - Vote Now
Platform: PS3 / PS4 / Xbox 360 / Xbox OneVotes for game: 9 - View All
Member Comments
# 121 JPBeBeast @ 05/19/17 08:37 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by jfsolo
I know that it's just a simple throwaway line, and that I should just logically take a wait and see approach, but when Rex sends out a tweet that says,

it makes me feel a bit nervous about User vs CPU gameplay.
Saw this tweet a bit ago, extremely troubling imo

Sent from my SM-N920P using Tapatalk

# 122 Rocky @ 05/19/17 10:06 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by JPBeBeast
Saw this tweet a bit ago, extremely troubling imo

Sent from my SM-N920P using Tapatalk

Its just a tweet but yeah....that doesn't inspire confidence lol.

# 123 StefJoeHalt @ 05/19/17 11:11 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by jfsolo
I know that it's just a simple throwaway line, and that I should just logically take a wait and see approach, but when Rex sends out a tweet that says,

it makes me feel a bit nervous about User vs CPU gameplay.

Can't agree more..this is what worries me about "Simulation Style"..this game is currently toned with HUM vs HUM gameplay only..leaving the CPU Ai severely lacking in several fronts..first and foremost playcalling/playbooks...so as great as it is there will be a sim style game play it's still toned for HUM vs HUM leaving the CPU behind the eight ball. And this statement only reenforces it.

Sent from my iPhone using Operation Sports

# 124 jerwoods @ 05/19/17 11:26 PM
here is what i would do if i ran EA

1 rem the tagline if u see it on Sundays it will be in the game will my madden vision wouild be NFL 2K5 Meets ncaa14 meets Madden10

2 fumbles snaps random mess ups liquid ratings just HC09
3 every NFL Coaching staff member would be in game even i cant get the real name u can put the real name in CFM
4 i would put real cheerleaders in the game
team sounds for every team
5 team rec retire numbers 90-man roster
6 full custom draft class in cfm only
7 RFA the extra point weekly show
8 weather affects game play + u can change weather
QB wouild run more if they can more trick plays
9 Players demand trades will take less to play for winning teams
10 u wouild play pro bowl
11 super bowl media day + a all new super bowl prestaction with national athem coin toss etc
12 more than 1 Network score bug
13 more than 1 game open
14 better 2 min drill for AI
15 retried coaches help write the AI and CFM mode coaches like parcels dinka giblls levy shannen fisher J Johnson cower billick reeves dungy gruen
GM 'S also wrie CFM like polin cassely ron wolf
16 user can toggle between 32-team cfm or 1 user HC09 syile game play
17 in offline CFM if u want Dallas in gold uniforms make any jere pants socks etc
18 have your draft graded by kpier mayhock mcshey
19 when u break a record it will be knowed

# 125 Americas Team @ 05/20/17 12:30 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by StefJoeHalt
Can't agree more..this is what worries me about "Simulation Style"..this game is currently toned with HUM vs HUM gameplay only..leaving the CPU Ai severely lacking in several fronts..first and foremost playcalling/playbooks...so as great as it is there will be a sim style game play it's still toned for HUM vs HUM leaving the CPU behind the eight ball. And this statement only reenforces it.

Hopefully Simulation is tuned for HUM vs. CPU.

# 126 StefJoeHalt @ 05/20/17 12:41 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Americas Team
Hopefully Simulation is tuned for HUM vs. CPU.

You would think..but that doesn't appear to be the case anymore..they haven't adjusted the CPU play calling/playbooks since the star system was introduced..and that is likely cause single player mode isn't the norm anymore..so it adversely effects us single mode players..I have heard many posters here who I respect their opinion and knowledge, who say this game is best played HUM vs HUM..and that is due to they way they (EA) tone the game..and to be fair it isn't just Madden but all games are moving away from single player mode which makes me an old "fart" who only plays that way lol..but maybe I'll get lucky and be wrong but not holding my breath

Edit: in my perfect world..game should be toned by CPU vs CPU..

# 127 PVarck31 @ 05/20/17 03:26 AM
I'm not ready to jump off a bridge yet. year of the user doesn't necessarily mean the AI will suck. It could mean a lot of things. I'm just in a wait and see mode.

We should know a lot more in a few weeks.

# 128 ForUntoOblivionSoar∞ @ 05/20/17 06:55 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by PhillyPhanatic14
Sounds like simulation style could be synonymous with normal style. The other two sound like additions and simulation sounds like what we've always had.
I'm near certain that it isn't. We've always had a ratings boost to usered players on every difficulty. I'm pretty sure that will no longer be there in simulation mode.

# 129 CT Pitbull @ 05/20/17 05:43 PM
Maybe, just maybe now....

"The Year of the User" means Madden 18 will finally have somewhat of a VIP system like 2k had back in the day. And the AI is going to play like you and learn from your play style, essentially making HUM vs AI now HUM vs AI/HUM.

lol Im trying to talk myself into good thoughts and away from the horrible thoughts that entered my mind when I saw that tweet.

# 130 NDAlum @ 05/21/17 11:34 AM
Maybe the year of the user will coordinate people in the same area to actually go outside and play some real football...even flag football...so they can TRULY show their user skillz

# 131 ggsimmonds @ 05/21/17 07:01 PM
I don't expect much from the alternate game style settings.

Even before seeing the tweet from Clint, I figured the guys talking about maybe botched snaps making it into the game were barking up the wrong tree.

I highly doubt EA is going to add new animations for any one style of play.

My guess as to what the settings involve, is that it is more than premade slider settings, but nothing mechanic changing. I think a reasonable hope is that the 3 settings alter the range of attributes and their effect on outcomes, and that is where us sim guys can be happy. Not going to add anything new, only modify the variables already present.

For example, assuming QB accuracy slider is the same, a QB with 80 accuracy may miss his mark more than a QB with 90. Whereas on competitive those two QBs may be largely the same, allowing for the two users to dictate the outcome. Also lets say in years past the bottom tier for accuracy was 70 or 75, meaning that there was no actual difference between a QB who had 55 accuracy and one with 70. Maybe now the range will be expanded to cover these scrubs. This would relate to the oft talked about problem of putting kickers on the offensive line.

# 132 roadman @ 05/21/17 07:01 PM
Or like Natedog said in the tweet thread, year of the user could mean all the modes are separated, therefore, year of the user.

# 133 DeuceDouglas @ 05/21/17 07:25 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by ggsimmonds
I don't expect much from the alternate game style settings.

Even before seeing the tweet from Clint, I figured the guys talking about maybe botched snaps making it into the game were barking up the wrong tree.

I highly doubt EA is going to add new animations for any one style of play.

My guess as to what the settings involve, is that it is more than premade slider settings, but nothing mechanic changing. I think a reasonable hope is that the 3 settings alter the range of attributes and their effect on outcomes, and that is where us sim guys can be happy. Not going to add anything new, only modify the variables already present.

For example, assuming QB accuracy slider is the same, a QB with 80 accuracy may miss his mark more than a QB with 90. Whereas on competitive those two QBs may be largely the same, allowing for the two users to dictate the outcome. Also lets say in years past the bottom tier for accuracy was 70 or 75, meaning that there was no actual difference between a QB who had 55 accuracy and one with 70. Maybe now the range will be expanded to cover these scrubs. This would relate to the oft talked about problem of putting kickers on the offensive line.
This is what I'm expecting. Hopefully down the line we can start to see some setting specific implementations but I'm not expecting any this year. There's still some more penalties I'd like to see and then plenty of simulation specific stuff that can be added. And the one thing I'll be looking for and hope they go in-depth with in the EAPlay blogs is going into great detail on exactly how each setting will differ and affect gameplay from 17 from 18. 17 was essentially a hybrid of all three so I want to know exactly what is going to make each setting be different than what it was in 17. I want more than a short blurb about how this setting will play "the most authentic and true to realistic NFL experience to date."

# 134 4thQtrStre5S @ 05/21/17 09:39 PM
Maybe the "Simulation" option will allow for a true coach only mode so we don't have to snap the ball.

I am thinking the "Year of the User" is meaning the collection of options that will be available to the user, such as coverage assignments and game play style choices like competitive and simulation.

# 135 Americas Team @ 05/22/17 02:31 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by StefJoeHalt
You would think..but that doesn't appear to be the case anymore..they haven't adjusted the CPU play calling/playbooks since the star system was introduced..and that is likely cause single player mode isn't the norm anymore..so it adversely effects us single mode players..I have heard many posters here who I respect their opinion and knowledge, who say this game is best played HUM vs HUM..and that is due to they way they (EA) tone the game..and to be fair it isn't just Madden but all games are moving away from single player mode which makes me an old "fart" who only plays that way lol..but maybe I'll get lucky and be wrong but not holding my breath

Edit: in my perfect world..game should be toned by CPU vs CPU..

In Franchise mode it should be assumed most games will be user vs. cpu and they should tune the game accordingly.

# 136 roadman @ 05/22/17 09:51 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Americas Team
In Franchise mode it should be assumed most games will be user vs. cpu and they should tune the game accordingly.
That might be true, but ratings play out more realistically in a CPU vs CPU game. It's more difficult to define in user vs cpu setups.

# 137 DeuceDouglas @ 05/22/17 01:00 PM
I could be wrong but I think these tweets are likely related.

Quote:
@jfsolo23 @KoolaidTheGreat @TheBlackPH03N1X My usual on simulation 2 per game. Reason: Lower drop INT chance on competitive. I get 3 bad reads per game that are dropped by LB's on sim
— Rex Dickson (@RexDEAFootball) May 14, 2017
Quote:
Could be seeing a lot more dropped picks on both sides because of this which shouldn't be too big of a deal. Hopefully on the Sim setting though the AI QB's are more competent and use the new mechanic in a smart manner to avoid throwing right at defenders.

# 138 TheBleedingRed21 @ 05/22/17 01:09 PM
I never play CPU and play in online franchise so I'm just hoping WE get the ability to throw away from defenders in a tight area. That's all I personally need but hope the offline guys get CPU improvements on that end.

# 139 Americas Team @ 05/22/17 02:16 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by SteelD34KC
If they would just fix the damn playbooks and playcalling the CPU would really be a challenge.

I cant tell you how many times Ive seen them blitz when my WR1 or WR2 has literally punted there CB in press coverage.

You would think they would learn, but the CPU doesnt.

Plus the amount of plays there "Able" to call is so redicilously low. You fix this, and Im thinking the game will be very, very good.

If not? RIP CFM.

Madden 17 would have been way more difficult if it wasn't for the horrible defensive play calling where the left DB would press the receiver with no help over the top resulting in wide open streaks multiple times a game.

# 140 ODogg @ 05/22/17 06:54 PM
I've had a lot of time with Madden 17 and this streak "bug" is bogus. Perhaps it occurs if you glitch but I just play the game normally.

Post A Comment
Only OS members can post comments
Please login or register to post a comment.