Home
Madden NFL 18 News Post

The Madden NFL 18 Creative Director, Rex Dickson has posted an image on Twitter with a brief description of each game style in the game. As noted earlier this morning, Madden NFL 18 will have 3 new game styles, Arcade, Simulation and Competitive. We should hear more details about these game styles as EA Play gets closer.

Game: Madden NFL 18Hype Score: 6/10 - Vote Now
Platform: PS3 / PS4 / Xbox 360 / Xbox OneVotes for game: 9 - View All
Member Comments
# 161 adembroski @ 05/24/17 12:36 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by OhMrHanky
'Uncontextualized'? U sure? I don't know for sure, either, to be honest. But, my impression of the VIP was that it would most likely take context into account. I guess we could argue what makes up 'context'? Lol. For me, at the very least, I believe it knew, '3rd and 20', 'I blitz, often'. Or, 2nd and 5, I run often. Or, 4th and 1, I always go for it, or something of that nature. And, if you call random stuff, than random stuff should be chosen. I'm not saying it was amazing, and it's been awhile since I played 2k5, lol, so there's no way I would remember. But, I remember being somewhat impressed. And, at least, theoretically, what I liked most is that I play a sim style making sim type play calls. So, if the VIP picks that up, and then it seems it would make better playcalls. But, I have no idea how good the code was under the hood.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Uncontextual, non-contextual, out of context, whatever, the point is this...

I don't just "hurry to the line" on any 11% of plays, I hurry to the line when it's appropriate. I don't just randomly flip the play. I flip the play based on the routes being run on either side of the field, the coverage, and my QB's arm strength. There's no context being tracked. WHY do I flip the play? What am I trying to accomplish? What happens on those particular 13% of plays that compels me to make that decision?

No, VIP just flips the play anytime it decides this is one of 13 out of every 100 plays it must do so in order to replicate your play style. It's smoke and mirrors, it's weak, and it's pointless. A much more robust system can be built fairly easily (in fact, the guy who posted the franchise mode rebuild had a similar idea to mine that, while flawed, is infinitely better than VIP was.)

VIP was a concept worth exploring, but it was shallow and poorly designed. Sure, a VIP profile might have been more interesting to play, but not because you were actually getting a replication of an intelligent opponent, a reasonable artificial intelligence, but only because the AI had it's dice weighted toward particular decisions that were different from what the base AI did, thus it was different.

Not better. Just different.

# 162 jfsolo @ 05/24/17 01:36 AM
It's been a while since a Madden thread has been derailed in order to make sure that the honor of NFL 2K is not besmirched.

# 163 Americas Team @ 05/24/17 01:38 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by StefJoeHalt
In reference to the Cover 1 press issue..there are several reasons in my opinion..
1. You either win the press or lose..no between
2. Along the lines of 1..there isn't enough animations..there are several technics in press..you have one hand press depending on shad and follow..full press normally used in cover 2..press and bail which has been made popular by Seattle in Cover 3..this is just a few..then u need more bad jams animations
3. Press rating needs to be more effective
4. Needs to be less jams called by CPU in 0 coverage..and less press called in general
5. We most have press/jams in zone coverages..so players don't always know.."ok single high coverage, ball snapped, Flanker just got jammed..I have single high Cover 1"

Sent from my iPhone using Operation Sports
And to add to your list Qb's are WAY too accurate on deep passes, 99% of the time they are perfectly thrown, the receivers don't even have to adjust.

# 164 KingKO92 @ 05/24/17 07:17 AM
Hopefully they do this for all EA Sports games, especially FIFA.

# 165 OhMrHanky @ 05/24/17 08:55 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by jfsolo
It's been a while since a Madden thread has been derailed in order to make sure that the honor of NFL 2K is not besmirched.

I think, in this case, at least, we haven't said things like, 'NFL 2k5 was the best game ever! Madden sux!' [emoji6]. Lol. We're just talking about the VIP thing as computer AI snuck into the conversation. But, wow, seeing those quick vid clips does remind me how far behind madden has been for years. Lol. [emoji848]. But, I've been digging madden, again, since 13, really. And, 16 and 17 were both very respectable and fun to play. I'm still playing CFM in 17, and I actually played MUT this year. As a sim CFM guy, I'm embarrassed to say I liked MUT. Lol. I didn't play online at all, but actually enjoyed the mode as something different to do with challenges here and there. And, collecting random players throughout the year was interesting. Looking forward to seeing what 18 has and most intrigued by the target passing, for sure. NFL 2k5 will live on as a legend of video game football, no matter what madden does. Lol.

# 166 StefJoeHalt @ 05/24/17 09:32 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Americas Team
And to add to your list Qb's are WAY too accurate on deep passes, 99% of the time they are perfectly thrown, the receivers don't even have to adjust.

For the record hate agreeing with Cowgirls fan..ughhh lol

# 167 roadman @ 05/24/17 10:38 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by OhMrHanky
I think, in this case, at least, we haven't said things like, 'NFL 2k5 was the best game ever! Madden sux!' [emoji6]. Lol. We're just talking about the VIP thing as computer AI snuck into the conversation. But, wow, seeing those quick vid clips does remind me how far behind madden has been for years. Lol. [emoji848]. But, I've been digging madden, again, since 13, really. And, 16 and 17 were both very respectable and fun to play. I'm still playing CFM in 17, and I actually played MUT this year. As a sim CFM guy, I'm embarrassed to say I liked MUT. Lol. I didn't play online at all, but actually enjoyed the mode as something different to do with challenges here and there. And, collecting random players throughout the year was interesting. Looking forward to seeing what 18 has and most intrigued by the target passing, for sure. NFL 2k5 will live on as a legend of video game football, no matter what madden does. Lol.

Eh, piling on/sweeping under the carpet and throwing excuses up in thin air doesn't quite cut it when it could have been ignored and moved on from.

I'm sure this still holds water until 8/1/17.

http://www.operationsports.com/forum...ding-bans.html

As a friendly reminder, I would suggest that the talk cease on the the other game and steer more in the Madden direction.

People can take it to the other forums or PM to discuss anything further.

A mod can remove this post if they disagree.

# 168 Millennium @ 05/24/17 11:23 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by roadman
Eh, piling on/sweeping under the carpet and throwing excuses up in thin air doesn't quite cut it when it could have been ignored and moved on from.

As a friendly reminder, I would suggest that the talk cease on the the other game and steer more in the Madden direction.

The mods agree.

'Nuff said.

Sent from my Pixel XL using Operation Sports mobile app

# 169 OhMrHanky @ 05/24/17 01:11 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by roadman

It's all good. I've been rereading my post, because, honestly, I wasn't trying to throw shade at madden, but I can understand how u took it that way. Again, I've been digging madden since Rex took over, so just looking forward to 18. Really curious to see what target passing is all about.

Peace. [emoji41]

# 170 Playmakers @ 05/24/17 02:07 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by cable guy
Teams playing to their real life tendancies is huge.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk
Sadly to my knowledge we've never had that Madden

I would love for EA to finally nail it when it comes to team/payer tendencies on the field

I guess this is where I believe if they at least installed more gameplay sliders that tied into actual team(s) playing styles we could finally see a light at the end of tunnel

# 171 DeuceDouglas @ 05/24/17 04:35 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Playmakers
Sadly to my knowledge we've never had that Madden

I would love for EA to finally nail it when it comes to team/payer tendencies on the field

I guess this is where I believe if they at least installed more gameplay sliders that tied into actual team(s) playing styles we could finally see a light at the end of tunnel
I wish this was something they took a lot more seriously and updated throughout the year. It's like ratings where you kind of have to foreshadow what certain teams look like but it would go a long way in creating a more enjoyable AI opponent. The 49ers are going to look a lot different than they did last year but in Madden my guess is they'll just pretty much copy-paste the Falcons stuff from last year and call it good. It's one of the things that drags down CFM because everybody plays pretty much the same and calls the same stuff so you miss out on those nuances that make teams feel unique and as you get deeper into franchise those missing factors become a bigger deal IMO. They have tools in place that could improve this quite a bit but they're not utilized and it also doesn't seem like something that is very high on the priority list.

# 172 PVarck31 @ 05/24/17 11:54 PM
I'm excited about the prospect of "simulation mode."

I think that if you are rational person you see that the game has steadily improved over the last three years. Not giant leaps, but definitely building to something.

If simulation mode means team tendencies, AI that can adjust to your playstyle, and I am always looking for an improved running game, then I will be happy.

I have confidence in this team. They have showed they are serious about sim football, but we also have to understand there is a huge consumer base that is not interested in sim football, so by creating these separate modes just shows that they are still committed to the sim community.

And I am sure this has something to do with guys like Clint and Rex wanting to keep that aspect in this game.

Plus this is something we have been asking for, for a long time.

I can't wait to see what they have done. Madden 17 was a good game. It played a solid game of football. It wasn't a great game, but very good imo. And I think if the track record continues with this series, I am expecting a great game this year.

# 173 SolidSquid @ 05/25/17 03:16 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by PVarck31
I'm excited about the prospect of "simulation mode."

I think that if you are rational person you see that the game has steadily improved over the last three years. Not giant leaps, but definitely building to something.

If simulation mode means team tendencies, AI that can adjust to your playstyle, and I am always looking for an improved running game, then I will be happy.

I have confidence in this team. They have showed they are serious about sim football, but we also have to understand there is a huge consumer base that is not interested in sim football, so by creating these separate modes just shows that they are still committed to the sim community.

And I am sure this has something to do with guys like Clint and Rex wanting to keep that aspect in this game.

Plus this is something we have been asking for, for a long time.

I can't wait to see what they have done. Madden 17 was a good game. It played a solid game of football. It wasn't a great game, but very good imo. And I think if the track record continues with this series, I am expecting a great game this year.
My biggest worry about the 3 game styles is the base game will still be the same. Simulation mode would be exactly what we have now as Madden has been touted as sim for year. Competitive would remove ratings and let stick skills shine. And Arcade is obviously no penalties/ no defense, high scoring games.

If I'm wrong then playing on all madden sim will be pretty fun

# 174 DeuceDouglas @ 05/25/17 04:08 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by SolidSquid
My biggest worry about the 3 game styles is the base game will still be the same. Simulation mode would be exactly what we have now as Madden has been touted as sim for year. Competitive would remove ratings and let stick skills shine. And Arcade is obviously no penalties/ no defense, high scoring games.

If I'm wrong then playing on all madden sim will be pretty fun
This is pretty much what I'm expecting. I don't really think the different settings are going to be much more than some different tuning sets and there won't be much, if any, difference in AI between the three. I don't know if that is something they can tune separately to be "smarter" on a simulation setting than a competitive setting but I'd love more than anything to be wrong about that.

Now this might sound crazy but if that is the case where they're all working on the same base AI, I wonder if having separate settings could actually end up being worse for the advancement of AI at least from a simulation standpoint. The reason I say this is because I had an online player laugh at my tweet asking for better AI and from what I could gather, having competent AI that makes plays for you essentially equates to you being a "bum" in the online realm. The point being that you can continue to make the AI smarter and smarter but if they're all using the same base you can't make it too smart because then it has the potential to start overriding user skill which greatly affects the competitive and online environment. But if we find out that they are truly separate in the coming weeks then this all becomes irrelevant.

Hoping for the best though. It'd be great to have a fresh feeling, competent AI opponent this year. 17 was really fun and I could only imagine how much better 18 could be if they nailed this.

# 175 Shadymamba @ 05/26/17 10:18 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by moose1619
If I remember correctly they had this feature back on ps1 or early ps2 days. Glad it is back, more options is always a win for the community!

Yes exactly - there are always 3 to 4 different types of gamers so that is a good thing - hopefully the "specific" style that everyone plays is enjoyable and plays well to their liking

# 176 Shadymamba @ 05/26/17 10:21 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by DeuceDouglas
This is pretty much what I'm expecting. I don't really think the different settings are going to be much more than some different tuning sets and there won't be much, if any, difference in AI between the three. I don't know if that is something they can tune separately to be "smarter" on a simulation setting than a competitive setting but I'd love more than anything to be wrong about that.

Now this might sound crazy but if that is the case where they're all working on the same base AI, I wonder if having separate settings could actually end up being worse for the advancement of AI at least from a simulation standpoint. The reason I say this is because I had an online player laugh at my tweet asking for better AI and from what I could gather, having competent AI that makes plays for you essentially equates to you being a "bum" in the online realm. The point being that you can continue to make the AI smarter and smarter but if they're all using the same base you can't make it too smart because then it has the potential to start overriding user skill which greatly affects the competitive and online environment. But if we find out that they are truly separate in the coming weeks then this all becomes irrelevant.

Hoping for the best though. It'd be great to have a fresh feeling, competent AI opponent this year. 17 was really fun and I could only imagine how much better 18 could be if they nailed this.
Your question was valid, because especially in football, where you only control 1 of 11 guys on the field. If you are pass rushing you would hope your DB has an ounce of AI to stay with the WR at least until you can switch over (if that's your play style) - having your AI play like CPU All Madden is probably asking a bit too much, but give you a little help I get it LOL

# 177 ShaneTheMaster @ 05/26/17 03:16 PM
Love how the screenshot showing simulation mode has a setting of 6 minute quarters.

# 178 PVarck31 @ 05/26/17 11:16 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by ShaneTheMaster
Love how the screenshot showing simulation mode has a setting of 6 minute quarters.

Why is this a big deal? This is the case with all timed sports games. I believe NBA 2K is at default six minutes.

I'm not trying to be a jerk here but you're really reaching to find flaws.

# 179 ODogg @ 05/26/17 11:18 PM
Quote:
Why is this a big deal? This is the case with all timed sports games. I believe NBA 2K is at default six minutes.

I was going to say that. I am a Sim player but I don't have time for "realistic" 3 1/2 hour replicas of real NFL games myself. I tend to play on 8 minute quarters or less myself.

Sent from my iPad using Operation Sports

# 180 JoshC1977 @ 05/27/17 12:29 AM
Quote:

Yeah, but IF EA is calibrating based on 6 minute quarters (which does not give the proper 120-130 plays per game), that IS a potential concern. If settings are calibrated to too short of a quarter length, it could very well (based on past precedent) be problematic.

Now, nothing about that screen shot suggests one way or the other, I get that. However, based on past comments from the devs, this is what they have defaulted to in previous games. One little screenshot is clearly not enough to elicit more than maybe a raised eyebrow, but I also would not say that the concern is "reaching".

Post A Comment
Only OS members can post comments
Please login or register to post a comment.