Home
NBA Playgrounds News Post

NBA Playgrounds
is a fine-tuned blend of arcade basketball and competitive play. It has a tendency to lean on the former, but the 2-on-2 matches can get awfully tense in the final moments of a game, especially in more difficult matches against the A.I.

The game strives to be a modern-day take on the NBA Jam formula, letting players leave realism and simulation at the door in favor of a faster pace. It doesn't live up to the aforementioned classic, but it's just fresh enough that it's able to chisel a spot for itself among the short list of arcade sports titles on the current generation of consoles.

Read More - NBA Playgrounds: A New Take on Street Style Basketball

Game: NBA PlaygroundsHype Score: 9.5/10 - Vote Now
Platform: Nintendo Switch / PC / PS4 / Xbox OneVotes for game: 2 - View All
Member Comments
# 21 Thrash13 @ 05/19/17 01:30 PM
I'm not very good at it, that's all I know so far! My 9-year old son smashed me last night, so that's slightly embarrassing. Haha. To be fair, he plays it quite often and loves it.

It's a good game for $20, and it should only get better with updates. I'm all for the 3 on 3 idea that's been thrown out. I think that's just the right number, and perhaps they could partner a little with the new 3 on 3 league about to begin.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Operation Sports mobile app

# 22 Murph @ 05/19/17 06:33 PM
I realize there's a Rookie difficulty in Exibition, but they REALLY need to make an Easy/Rookie difficulty for Tourney mode, especially for younger kids (and me) who struggle in the later rounds. It's no fun when the CPU steals at will and hits half court shots and you, the player can barely get out of your own end.

# 23 Tomba @ 05/20/17 08:12 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Murph
I realize there's a Rookie difficulty in Exibition, but they REALLY need to make an Easy/Rookie difficulty for Tourney mode, especially for younger kids (and me) who struggle in the later rounds. It's no fun when the CPU steals at will and hits half court shots and you, the player can barely get out of your own end.
I cheated right back I used Stockton/Stockton combo and just drained corner 3's by elbowing ai and shaq

it was not fun

been two weeks now almost no patch for switch

the "within few days of release " is now weeks

game can royally go fly a kite

the xp that is dished out requires you to play 10 games just to get constant repeated players

until a patch is out this game this game isn't fun anymore

# 24 drugsbunny @ 05/22/17 02:06 PM
How many renditions of this game style are they going to make for heavens sake!!!

# 25 RipCityAndy @ 05/28/17 01:20 AM
I've played this on my Switch. This game is flat out bad.

1. There is no rebounding mechanic. The best way to grab a rebound is to run around until it hits you on the head. Literally.

2. If you get frustrated by moments that make you say, "this f#$@ing game cheats!!" this game is not for you. I just played a game wherein David Robinson hit three, perfect, 4-point shots in a row. The worst part? That's not uncommon.

3. The defense is horrible. The stealing and blocking mechanics are so unreliably bad, it's almost not worth trying.

4. The shot timing feels completely arbitrary. I roll my eyes every time I pull off a "perfect" shot because I'm not doing anything different. The layup and dunk timing is too punishing as well. You will miss these routinely.

5. You will quickly learn that the stamina bar makes this game no fun.

6. Why the hell did they put shoving in the game if it's unusable for all intents and purposes?

I really, really wanted this to be good. I loved NBA Jam. It was one of my favorite 360 titles. This game can't hold a candle to Jam. Too bad...

# 26 RipCityAndy @ 05/28/17 01:25 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Earl1963
Great game, and IMO it's better than NBA Jams on fire addition.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Better than Jam OFE?!?! Hmm... If like to hear the reasoning behind that. It doesn't have the gameplay mechanics, game modes, and online features of Jam. Plus, it's objectively crappy in multiple areas (rebounding, shooting, defending...)

# 27 Mintsa @ 05/29/17 09:55 AM
Where are you guys at right now with this game ?

I'm level 41, and have 29 more players left to unlock.

# 28 Mintsa @ 05/29/17 09:56 AM
Also, the "record" shown in your profile......is this your offline record ? Online record ? Or Overall, your entire W/L record spanning over every mode ?

# 29 ojandpizza @ 06/02/17 12:24 AM
Some aspects on this game are just so infuriating. For one, the player ratings are horrible. It makes you think that whoever created the game had virtually no knowledge of a lot of these players individual abilities.

I also hate that I can pretty much only get a perfect release on shots where I'm at the top of the key and get a decently open 3. Meanwhile the other team can hit 3 or 4 in a row running one handed shots or fading out to half court all worth 4 points a piece.

Also, guys like 40 year old Jason Kidd doing front flip dunks over guys like Kawhi and Bill Russell. Who I intentionally picked for defense. And I'll end up with 1 seal and 0 blocks.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

« Previous 12Next »

Post A Comment
Only OS members can post comments
Please login or register to post a comment.