Home
Preview
Madden NFL 11 Preview (Xbox 360)

At EA’s recent community event, I was able to sit down with Madden developer Ian Cummings and get a very early hands on with Madden 11. With the tagline "Simpler," "Deeper" and "Quicker" being emphasized, I was able to take a look at some of this year's gameplay improvements that the Madden team feels will elevate Madden 11 to the next level.

Gameplay Improvements

Locomotion

When I first sat down with Ian, I was introduced to Madden’s locomotion engine. Much like NCAA Football 11’s movement mechanics, Madden’s locomotion engine promises to provide much more realistic player movement and acceleration on the field. On offense, the right stick now controls a player's upper torso, giving players unprecedented control over a ball carrier's ability to shed and avoid tacklers.

The most surprising addition to Madden 11’s gameplay is actually a subtraction: the removal of a turbo button (off by defaut, can be turned on). Taking a cue from EA’s successful NHL franchise, Madden 11 no longer requires players to spam a turbo button in a desperate attempt to create offensive separation or track down an elusive player on defense. Instead, player speed and acceleration are completely tied to ratings.

While I was a bit surprised when Ian let me in on the removal of the turbo button (again, this is off by default and can be turned back on) once I got my hands on the game, I immediately felt the difference. The best way I can sum up my gameplay experience with Madden 11 is that the game feels very organic in the way it moves. In other words, the days of choppy animation transitions and stop/starts on a dime that were in previous versions of the game should be minimized this year -- replaced now by an an overall feel that sim fans everywhere should enjoy.

Game Flow

During our time together, Ian also informed me that a lot of research had been completed that determined how many plays gamers had been calling in an average game, which was also coupled with some insight from John Madden himself. After these findings, the development team decided to completely overhaul the way plays are called.

The result is what is known as the "GameFlow," a streamlined game-planning option that will allow a virtual coordinator to call in a play for your team via headset based on a number of offensive variables that the game calculates. Now, before anyone jumps to conclusions and immediately writes this feature off as a way to make Madden 11 more "noob" friendly, please note that the feature can be ignored at any point during the game with a simple button press that takes you back to the traditional play calling menu.

As a veteran of the series, I was a bit worried that GameFlow would be something that I would not utilize -- I typically avoid the "Ask Madden" types of plays in my football games. However, after getting some hands-on time with the feature, and grilling Ian on it, I am absolutely hooked because of the depth that its simplicity provides.

First off, you can completely customize what plays end up in the GameFlow playbook, and you can change plays on a game by game basis. You can even rate your plays via a five-star system (like on iTunes) so that you can easily find them on the fly when customizing a GameFlow. I can already see myself putting together different game plans for online and offline franchise mode, which would add an NFL Head Coach-like layer of strategy to the game that has been sorely missing since the removal of the create-a-play feature.

Secondly, GameFlow makes you feel more like a real head coach. As many of you already know, it is a rarity for a head coach to actually call plays while in a game. Clicking over to the GameFlow button, and then listening to my offensive/defensive coordinators call out specific plays based on game situations is undeniably cool. What is even better is executing plays to perfection -- something that is undeniably rewarding. I can see the GameFlow feature being big among coach-mode fans, especially if you take advantage of the playbook customization in between games.

Finally, as advertised, GameFlow dramatically increases the tempo at which the game is played. In a day and age where the "core" Madden gamer is getting older and has more non-gaming responsibilities, it is very refreshing to be able to complete an entire game of Madden in roughly 30 minutes. I was able to play an entire half utilizing GameFlow in approximately 15 minutes, and it did not feel like I had been cheated out of a gameplay or play calling opportunity either. Instead, I felt like I was an actual NFL head coach who had a laminated page of plays in hand. Yes, I know I come off sounding a bit lame by writing that, but as a huge fan of the NFL, it is a feeling I have never had before in a football game.

New Line Interaction

Similar to the NCAA series, shoddy line play and interaction has been something that has plagued the Madden series for years. However, the new locomotion engine has gone a long way towards improving what some considered "broken" line play in past iterations of the series.

Since players now have to plant before moving, suction blocking and lackluster AI seem to have at least been minimized when it comes to the offensive and defensive lines. During my limited amount of time playing the game, I was able to get solid pressure on the QB when it made sense. In addition, the CPU also pressured me if I attempted to hold the ball for too long in the pocket.

Presentation Upgrades

Outside of the new GameFlow feature, I was able to see some of the improvements EA has made to the presentation in Madden 11. While Ian was feverishly button pressing through some of the more secretive options (more on those in future Madden blogs), I was able to catch some team-specific introductions (example: Drew Brees' pregame "speech"), and even cuts to players preparing for the game in the locker room. On the field, you will see new cut scenes between plays that look more natural than those in the past, and new animations for sideline catches, big hits and mid-air collisions.

Graphically, the game looks to be largely unchanged from Madden 10. Player models, stadium lighting and the turf look like they received minimum upgrades at most. It is worth noting, however, that the build of the game I played was very early in development. In other words, many of the aesthetic details most likely will be improved by the time the game releases.

As a side note, the kicking meter has also been completely redone. It now more closely resembles the putting meter from the Tiger Woods games. Ian explained to me that this change was the best way to differentiate kicker ability in the game because the old meter would not allow the developers to create the differences that truly exist in the NFL. The meter feels great to use, but since I was only able to use one kicker during my time with the game, I was unable to feel any difference in how the meter reacted.

Final Thoughts

It is very difficult to pass any judgments on Madden 11 at this early stage in the game. But, what I can say is that the locomotion engine and GameFlow additions have the potential to fix some of the nagging issues from Madden 10. Since both elements already work very well at this early stage in the game's development, I am very excited to see what the final product looks like come August.

Look for more hands-on previews from OS as E3 approaches, and as always, stay tuned for the most up to date Madden 11 media and information.

Make sure you follow Operation Sports on Twitter and Facebook.

Madden NFL 11 Videos
Member Comments
# 61 lgxjames @ 04/26/10 03:26 PM
I really hope they get into "play knowledge" with this, or stand alone...Play knowledge can effect so many parts of franchise it would be insane...together with the game plan feature (SMH)

# 62 therizing02 @ 04/26/10 03:27 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bumble14
The cpu picks the play for you based on the situation, you do not spend time in the playcalling screen. You can rate plays, and set up a playbook to customize this, but in game you do not even mess around in a menu like ask madden when using gameflow.
Well this was my point. When you use Ask Madden, there is no scrolling through playbooks. Play ends, push button to skip cut scene, Ask Madden shows the play, press button and you're at the LOS.

These games are taking me an hour to play with 15 minute quarters and a 20 second runoff. I still don't see how Gameflow will cut that time in half.

# 63 kjcheezhead @ 04/26/10 03:45 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by rgiles36
Did you play M10 last year my friend? Or at least offline? Fatigue worked fine and was customizeable (sp). Plus, it was progressive in that heavily used players would not recoup their full energy later in the game.
This wasn't the case for me when I played Madden 10. Fatigue worked in that your player was taken out of the game when his level dropped. If you just subbed him back in, he would play with little to no change. There are plenty of youtube vids demonstrating this as well.

Here is one of something I had happen to me while playing:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kGFd39vqLN0

# 64 roadman @ 04/26/10 03:52 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by kjcheezhead
This wasn't the case for me when I played Madden 10. Fatigue worked in that your player was taken out of the game when his level dropped. If you just subbed him back in, he would play with little to no change. There are plenty of youtube vids demonstrating this as well.

Doesn't your RB get recharged for resting for a series or two? For example, when AD goes to the sideline, Taylor used to come in for a series or two.

I would think your batteries are recharged after resting on the sidelines.

Also, WR's only take on play off after they catch a long pass and they are back out on the field.

Just saying.

# 65 reo @ 04/26/10 03:55 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boregard
this so stupid I wanna type a bunch very nasty vulgarities in rapid succession!!!
That's gold Jerry. Gold!

# 66 RGiles36 @ 04/26/10 03:57 PM
Quote:

Well, I guess that can added to your perceived list of M10 issues .

Nah, all jokes aside, I found that fatigue worked properly in M10. I'm not sure what settings you use or how you use your players, but I haven't the slightest idea how you can say fatigue (or progressive fatigue for that matter) doesn't work.

# 67 streamline @ 04/26/10 03:58 PM
Quote:
I am just really longing for a return to user control, within the ratings, of what goes on as the game plays out.

M10 you could hit the triangle button any way you wanted, but it had no affect on the attempt that the receiver made.

Spin moves, dives, hurdles, stiff arms, and cut moves are all moves that should have various animations that you can trigger based on how you hit the button.

I always thought it would be cool if you were being tackled near the first down yardage or at the goaline - if you hold the dive button down the ball carrier should reach the ball out - of course with necessary fumble risk!

Spin move
tap = quick spin
press = more looping spin
hold and release as hit = ball carrier would stutter step and well timed
release at impact would give a "bounce off" spin out of tackle
animation

Dive
tap = quick "lay down/fall forward" animation
press = "superman style dive" think Marion Barber
Hold release= over the pile type dive, thus eliminating the need for
situational awareness of the game and letting you try to go
over the "pile" for a first down attempt
Hold during TAK animation = reach out ball for more yardage/ endzone etc

Hurdle
tap = quick low height like to avoid blocker/defender on ground
press = regular hurdle
hold release = really slows you down as player gathers to hurdle gives you
higher hurdle leap

Stiff arm
tap = quick short duration arm extension for defender at arm's length
press = standard stiff arm
hold and release gives you the big punching stiff arm you see AP or Barber
or some other guys do

note: put these back on the triggers and have "cover/protect ball"
be accomplished by holding both buttons in!!!

Cut moves
tap = very quick minor direction change, very fast/short animation
press = little bit bigger direction change with heavy foot plant animation
hold release = big foot plant with added shoulder/head fake
double move/ stutter steps rapidly tap buttons in succession

note: add these back onto the shoulder buttons (L1/R1)
I see no reason why these should not coexist with the
R-stick stuff they are adding to M11

Catch
tap = "in stride" attempt receiver does not break stride arms go for ball
or in perfect throw case just lets the ball come in.
Press = quick jump catch, low to moderate elevation
Hold and release = receiver gathering feet and launching high (within his
ratings) to go after ball at highest point.

note: when you hold the button DBs should "know" that and either
go up with you to fight for ball or line you up for a big hit

note: Pick attempts work same way and with hold/release you
risk falling/slipping/tripping for both catch or intercept if
you hold too long

Dline moves

First off where did the "bull rush" go bring that back immediately
FIN moves (L1/R1)
tap = spin move - risk getting blown up
press = swim move
hold/release = shoulder/head fake set up type move
POW moves
tap = club move
press = rip move
hold/release = "throw OL"
Bull Rush repeatedly tap X to replicate driving feet

Swat (L1)
tap = quick swat, minimal loss of speed unlikely to take you out
of position if you whiff
press = quick jump more likely to knock ball away, but more likely to
get you out of position if you miss
hold/release = gathering of feet, high jump, very likely to hit ball, high
likely hood of being out of position if miss timed

note: safer/ higher success rate over interception attempt

Strip (L2/R2)
tap = quick swat at ball - low impact on tackle attempt success
press = big strip tackle - think strip sack or punch out ball from behind
risk missing tackle increases
hold = grab at ball try to rip it out - huge missed tackle risk

note: holding both buttons makes no strip attempt but rather
becomes a "wrap" up tackle

Final Note: All these things should be based off the ratings as far as success/failure but I want to finally feel like I am in control of the action again and that the input I put into the controller gives me a real sense of "I pulled that off because I timed it right and hit the button the right way"!!!
Obviously, the ratings should affect how successful and quick maybe that these animations are!!!
WOW nice write up! I agree with every single thing you put on the list. This is truly putting the player in control of the player. Just by looking at it I would have to memorize most of these controls and actually spend some time practicing them, which isn't a bad thing necessarily, but for some could be a little overwhelming.

# 68 kjcheezhead @ 04/26/10 04:05 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by roadman
Doesn't your RB get recharged for resting for a series or two? For example, when AD goes to the sideline, Taylor used to come in for a series or two.

I would think your batteries are recharged after resting on the sidelines.

Also, WR's only take on play off after they catch a long pass and they are back out on the field.

Just saying.
Yeah they do, but it didn't matter imo. If I was playing and Ryan Grant went red and he got subbed out, I put him right back in without letting him take a play off. It didn't affect his play at all.

The vid I showed was one where Jacobs was injured the whole series as well. Watch the end of the play, the cut scene shows him jump up ready for another play, lol.

# 69 roadman @ 04/26/10 04:17 PM
Quote:
Yeah they do, but it didn't matter imo. If I was playing and Ryan Grant went red and he got subbed out, I put him right back in without letting him take a play off. It didn't affect his play at all.

The vid I showed was one where Jacobs was injured the whole series as well. Watch the end of the play, the cut scene shows him jump up ready for another play, lol.
Oh, I never did that.

I'd play it just like the NFL.

I'd take Grant out and put in Jackson for a few series.

# 70 BlackRome @ 04/26/10 04:19 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by beastwork
so it sounds like i can setup my play book with "favorites" I really like this. I won't have to needlessly sift through hundreds of plays when I'm really only familiar with 15 of the plays in a playbook
Being able to customize your playbook was in Madden on the original Xbox.
If I'm not mistaken it was also included in the N64 version years ago when they didn't have the NFL license that year. That was one of the best Madden's I ever played.

# 71 kjcheezhead @ 04/26/10 04:22 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by roadman
Oh, I never did that.

I'd play it just like the NFL.

I'd take Grant out and put in Jackson for a few series.
I had a few of my online friends show me that trick. Kinda forced me to do the same when I played. If I played cpu I let them stay out. I think fatigue needs to actually affect them so you get punished by putting them back in the first place tho. IMO that wasn't the case in Madden 10.

# 72 Valdarez @ 04/26/10 05:01 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by rgiles36
Well, I guess that can added to your perceived list of M10 issues .

Nah, all jokes aside, I found that fatigue worked properly in M10. I'm not sure what settings you use or how you use your players, but I haven't the slightest idea how you can say fatigue (or progressive fatigue for that matter) doesn't work.
He was holding his leg in the video. Looks like he was running hurt, out running other players, and breaking tackles to boot. All while holding his leg. Not a perceived issue, just another bug in the game.

# 73 Valdarez @ 04/26/10 05:06 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by coogrfan
It's quicker and simpler than kicking in previous next-gen Maddens because it's button-based, while at the same time it's deeper because it will allow subtle differences in kicker ability to be easily represented by changing the size of the meter's "sweet spots".

Imo this is a simple and elegant design solution, and one that is far superior to APF's unnecessarily difficult to master kicking mechanics.
It's going to be slower because it's button based, not quicker. Not sure about simpler. Last years was about as simple as it gets. Any more simpler and I'm gonna start handing the controller off to my pup to do the FGs so one is occasionally missed. Definitely not deeper, because it no longer maps the action on the field to an action on the controller.

APF2K8's was only difficult for users that didn't take the time to learn it. Once you learned it, it's fairly easy to get the kick off, and the difficult it more pressure related and based on the limitations of your kicker, as it should be when kicking a FG. Better feedback would have solved the problem for users who struggled to learn how to kick.

# 74 alliance4g63 @ 04/26/10 07:49 PM
Hell has frozen because I actually have some positive feedback. I like the gameflow idea on paper. I have not seen it in game so I can only speculate. In my mind I can see how this may bring me back high school football memories. I hope you can't view the play art once the play is called meaning you have to go by memory. That may cause a purchase right there.. Well let's not jump the gun.

I know Ea won't do it but I would love a "Gameflow" only room. So if the plays are by memory with no play art allowed, you would know your opponent is going by memory as well.

# 75 canes21 @ 04/26/10 07:59 PM
Quote:
I am just really longing for a return to user control, within the ratings, of what goes on as the game plays out.

M10 you could hit the triangle button any way you wanted, but it had no affect on the attempt that the receiver made.

Spin moves, dives, hurdles, stiff arms, and cut moves are all moves that should have various animations that you can trigger based on how you hit the button.

I always thought it would be cool if you were being tackled near the first down yardage or at the goaline - if you hold the dive button down the ball carrier should reach the ball out - of course with necessary fumble risk!

Spin move
tap = quick spin
press = more looping spin
hold and release as hit = ball carrier would stutter step and well timed
release at impact would give a "bounce off" spin out of tackle
animation

Dive
tap = quick "lay down/fall forward" animation
press = "superman style dive" think Marion Barber
Hold release= over the pile type dive, thus eliminating the need for
situational awareness of the game and letting you try to go
over the "pile" for a first down attempt
Hold during TAK animation = reach out ball for more yardage/ endzone etc

Hurdle
tap = quick low height like to avoid blocker/defender on ground
press = regular hurdle
hold release = really slows you down as player gathers to hurdle gives you
higher hurdle leap

Stiff arm
tap = quick short duration arm extension for defender at arm's length
press = standard stiff arm
hold and release gives you the big punching stiff arm you see AP or Barber
or some other guys do

note: put these back on the triggers and have "cover/protect ball"
be accomplished by holding both buttons in!!!

Cut moves
tap = very quick minor direction change, very fast/short animation
press = little bit bigger direction change with heavy foot plant animation
hold release = big foot plant with added shoulder/head fake
double move/ stutter steps rapidly tap buttons in succession

note: add these back onto the shoulder buttons (L1/R1)
I see no reason why these should not coexist with the
R-stick stuff they are adding to M11

Catch
tap = "in stride" attempt receiver does not break stride arms go for ball
or in perfect throw case just lets the ball come in.
Press = quick jump catch, low to moderate elevation
Hold and release = receiver gathering feet and launching high (within his
ratings) to go after ball at highest point.

note: when you hold the button DBs should "know" that and either
go up with you to fight for ball or line you up for a big hit

note: Pick attempts work same way and with hold/release you
risk falling/slipping/tripping for both catch or intercept if
you hold too long

Dline moves

First off where did the "bull rush" go bring that back immediately
FIN moves (L1/R1)
tap = spin move - risk getting blown up
press = swim move
hold/release = shoulder/head fake set up type move
POW moves
tap = club move
press = rip move
hold/release = "throw OL"
Bull Rush repeatedly tap X to replicate driving feet

Swat (L1)
tap = quick swat, minimal loss of speed unlikely to take you out
of position if you whiff
press = quick jump more likely to knock ball away, but more likely to
get you out of position if you miss
hold/release = gathering of feet, high jump, very likely to hit ball, high
likely hood of being out of position if miss timed

note: safer/ higher success rate over interception attempt

Strip (L2/R2)
tap = quick swat at ball - low impact on tackle attempt success
press = big strip tackle - think strip sack or punch out ball from behind
risk missing tackle increases
hold = grab at ball try to rip it out - huge missed tackle risk

note: holding both buttons makes no strip attempt but rather
becomes a "wrap" up tackle

Final Note: All these things should be based off the ratings as far as success/failure but I want to finally feel like I am in control of the action again and that the input I put into the controller gives me a real sense of "I pulled that off because I timed it right and hit the button the right way"!!!
Obviously, the ratings should affect how successful and quick maybe that these animations are!!!
I personally love how this would work. I can already see it now. Holding the swat button and releasing it in time and making a beautiful swat, but Brandon Stokley comes in and catches the ball for a game winning touchdown.

# 76 Eastsidestory5 @ 04/26/10 08:04 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by rudyjuly2
Are you sure? Sounded like they took it out of Madden completely.
ian_cummings
For anyone that despises change, the sprint button can be turned back on in M11.

# 77 shadthedad @ 04/26/10 09:20 PM
Is this game pad compatible with the Ipad....

# 78 sportyguyfl31 @ 04/26/10 10:49 PM
Turbo is kinda becoming obsolete..i dont mind it being gone in the least. Let a player's speed, be his speed.

# 79 sarlndr @ 04/27/10 03:12 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by ProjectSRT
What if we like our games to last over an hour? I want my game to be as close to authentic as it can be, and playing a full NFL game in 30 minutes goes in the opposite direction.
If you want a true NFL experience then even one hour won't be enough. A sixty minute game that lasts three hours is what you get on Sunday's. I don't care who you are, nobody is going to be playing a game of Madden that long.

# 80 PanthersFanboy @ 04/27/10 09:40 AM
That sounds great.

Post A Comment
Only OS members can post comments
Please login or register to post a comment.