Home
Preview
Madden NFL 11 Preview (Xbox 360)

At EA’s recent community event, I was able to sit down with Madden developer Ian Cummings and get a very early hands on with Madden 11. With the tagline "Simpler," "Deeper" and "Quicker" being emphasized, I was able to take a look at some of this year's gameplay improvements that the Madden team feels will elevate Madden 11 to the next level.

Gameplay Improvements

Locomotion

When I first sat down with Ian, I was introduced to Madden’s locomotion engine. Much like NCAA Football 11’s movement mechanics, Madden’s locomotion engine promises to provide much more realistic player movement and acceleration on the field. On offense, the right stick now controls a player's upper torso, giving players unprecedented control over a ball carrier's ability to shed and avoid tacklers.

The most surprising addition to Madden 11’s gameplay is actually a subtraction: the removal of a turbo button (off by defaut, can be turned on). Taking a cue from EA’s successful NHL franchise, Madden 11 no longer requires players to spam a turbo button in a desperate attempt to create offensive separation or track down an elusive player on defense. Instead, player speed and acceleration are completely tied to ratings.

While I was a bit surprised when Ian let me in on the removal of the turbo button (again, this is off by default and can be turned back on) once I got my hands on the game, I immediately felt the difference. The best way I can sum up my gameplay experience with Madden 11 is that the game feels very organic in the way it moves. In other words, the days of choppy animation transitions and stop/starts on a dime that were in previous versions of the game should be minimized this year -- replaced now by an an overall feel that sim fans everywhere should enjoy.

Game Flow

During our time together, Ian also informed me that a lot of research had been completed that determined how many plays gamers had been calling in an average game, which was also coupled with some insight from John Madden himself. After these findings, the development team decided to completely overhaul the way plays are called.

The result is what is known as the "GameFlow," a streamlined game-planning option that will allow a virtual coordinator to call in a play for your team via headset based on a number of offensive variables that the game calculates. Now, before anyone jumps to conclusions and immediately writes this feature off as a way to make Madden 11 more "noob" friendly, please note that the feature can be ignored at any point during the game with a simple button press that takes you back to the traditional play calling menu.

As a veteran of the series, I was a bit worried that GameFlow would be something that I would not utilize -- I typically avoid the "Ask Madden" types of plays in my football games. However, after getting some hands-on time with the feature, and grilling Ian on it, I am absolutely hooked because of the depth that its simplicity provides.

First off, you can completely customize what plays end up in the GameFlow playbook, and you can change plays on a game by game basis. You can even rate your plays via a five-star system (like on iTunes) so that you can easily find them on the fly when customizing a GameFlow. I can already see myself putting together different game plans for online and offline franchise mode, which would add an NFL Head Coach-like layer of strategy to the game that has been sorely missing since the removal of the create-a-play feature.

Secondly, GameFlow makes you feel more like a real head coach. As many of you already know, it is a rarity for a head coach to actually call plays while in a game. Clicking over to the GameFlow button, and then listening to my offensive/defensive coordinators call out specific plays based on game situations is undeniably cool. What is even better is executing plays to perfection -- something that is undeniably rewarding. I can see the GameFlow feature being big among coach-mode fans, especially if you take advantage of the playbook customization in between games.

Finally, as advertised, GameFlow dramatically increases the tempo at which the game is played. In a day and age where the "core" Madden gamer is getting older and has more non-gaming responsibilities, it is very refreshing to be able to complete an entire game of Madden in roughly 30 minutes. I was able to play an entire half utilizing GameFlow in approximately 15 minutes, and it did not feel like I had been cheated out of a gameplay or play calling opportunity either. Instead, I felt like I was an actual NFL head coach who had a laminated page of plays in hand. Yes, I know I come off sounding a bit lame by writing that, but as a huge fan of the NFL, it is a feeling I have never had before in a football game.

New Line Interaction

Similar to the NCAA series, shoddy line play and interaction has been something that has plagued the Madden series for years. However, the new locomotion engine has gone a long way towards improving what some considered "broken" line play in past iterations of the series.

Since players now have to plant before moving, suction blocking and lackluster AI seem to have at least been minimized when it comes to the offensive and defensive lines. During my limited amount of time playing the game, I was able to get solid pressure on the QB when it made sense. In addition, the CPU also pressured me if I attempted to hold the ball for too long in the pocket.

Presentation Upgrades

Outside of the new GameFlow feature, I was able to see some of the improvements EA has made to the presentation in Madden 11. While Ian was feverishly button pressing through some of the more secretive options (more on those in future Madden blogs), I was able to catch some team-specific introductions (example: Drew Brees' pregame "speech"), and even cuts to players preparing for the game in the locker room. On the field, you will see new cut scenes between plays that look more natural than those in the past, and new animations for sideline catches, big hits and mid-air collisions.

Graphically, the game looks to be largely unchanged from Madden 10. Player models, stadium lighting and the turf look like they received minimum upgrades at most. It is worth noting, however, that the build of the game I played was very early in development. In other words, many of the aesthetic details most likely will be improved by the time the game releases.

As a side note, the kicking meter has also been completely redone. It now more closely resembles the putting meter from the Tiger Woods games. Ian explained to me that this change was the best way to differentiate kicker ability in the game because the old meter would not allow the developers to create the differences that truly exist in the NFL. The meter feels great to use, but since I was only able to use one kicker during my time with the game, I was unable to feel any difference in how the meter reacted.

Final Thoughts

It is very difficult to pass any judgments on Madden 11 at this early stage in the game. But, what I can say is that the locomotion engine and GameFlow additions have the potential to fix some of the nagging issues from Madden 10. Since both elements already work very well at this early stage in the game's development, I am very excited to see what the final product looks like come August.

Look for more hands-on previews from OS as E3 approaches, and as always, stay tuned for the most up to date Madden 11 media and information.

Make sure you follow Operation Sports on Twitter and Facebook.

Madden NFL 11 Videos
Member Comments
# 81 ManiacMatt1782 @ 04/27/10 10:59 AM
i just hope they take it out of online completely, without the option to turn it back on there

# 82 chrome_305 @ 04/27/10 12:14 PM
Quote:
Since players now have to plant before moving, suction blocking and lackluster AI seem to have at least been minimized when it comes to the offensive and defensive lines. During my limited amount of time playing the game, I was able to get solid pressure on the QB when it made sense. In addition, the CPU also pressured me if I attempted to hold the ball for too long in the pocket.
This part of the hands on scares me!Minimal improvements for suction blocking and A.I on O-line and D-line (the A.I will still warp when out of position).Did I read this correctly? With suction blocking still in the game it leads me to think that the gameplay is not improved at all.

If a player has to plant his feet now before moving then how is it that suction blocking is still present?During a "suction block" the player would warp/360 turn/fly/teleport to the position thus negating the foot plant. Lets just hope in madden 11 your O-line or D-line doesnt pull a madden 10 and magically let the defender by-pass them so they can tackle you.

Also,If you hold the ball to long of course the CPU will pressure thats been happening since madden 1.Thats the logic of the A.I since to follow the ball so, of course there would be pressure when holding the ball long.

# 83 roadman @ 04/27/10 01:31 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by chrome_305
This part of the hands on scares me!Minimal improvements for suction blocking and A.I on O-line and D-line (the A.I will still warp when out of position).Did I read this correctly? With suction blocking still in the game it leads me to think that the gameplay is not improved at all.

If a player has to plant his feet now before moving then how is it that suction blocking is still present?During a "suction block" the player would warp/360 turn/fly/teleport to the position thus negating the foot plant. Lets just hope in madden 11 your O-line or D-line doesnt pull a madden 10 and magically let the defender by-pass them so they can tackle you.

Also,If you hold the ball to long of course the CPU will pressure thats been happening since madden 1.Thats the logic of the A.I since to follow the ball so, of course there would be pressure when holding the ball long.
Minimized in what you quoted means they don't show up as much as it did previously. They've greatly reduced it.

It doesn't mean minimal improvements.

# 84 Only1LT @ 04/27/10 01:37 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by roadman
Minimized in what you quoted means they don't show up as much as it did previously. They've greatly reduced it.

It doesn't mean minimal improvements.
By any interpretation, I think he, and everyone else as well, was hoping that it was eliminated. Not minimized. I think that is what his frustration is.

# 85 carnalnirvana @ 04/27/10 01:57 PM
the game flow sounds good but if its only for the user thats disappointing. we should have been able to customize the cpu playbook as well.

madden is catering for the head to head crowd

# 86 roadman @ 04/27/10 02:08 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Only1LT
By any interpretation, I think he, and everyone else as well, was hoping that it was eliminated. Not minimized. I think that is what his frustration is.
Ok, hard to determine on a message board.

# 87 roadman @ 04/27/10 02:12 PM
^^ We all have our own interpretations, don't we?

# 88 CreatineKasey @ 04/27/10 02:17 PM
EASports has continued to listen to my wants almost directly, I swear. I can't complain one bit with the direction of this game. I still remember playing the garbage years (06-09) and know how far it came in 1 year. New locomotion and blocking fixes? G f'n G!

I'm pumped already!

# 89 Reaman @ 04/27/10 04:00 PM
Great job on the preview!

# 90 jaygrey722 @ 04/28/10 06:19 PM
the game looks ok it still needs more work, but they need to change up the graphics and the equipiment..... ncaa put in new nike gloves and cleats. they need to put that in the game.Im tired of seeing the same ****ty equpiment.

# 91 rheerun @ 04/29/10 01:00 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by carnalnirvava
the game flow sounds good but if its only for the user thats disappointing. we should have been able to customize the cpu playbook as well.

madden is catering for the head to head crowd
In one of the recent blogs the devs say you can in fact customize a CPU gameplan to make it more tailored to how you think the opposing team plays.

# 92 Shadak @ 04/29/10 03:05 AM
Hmm this year kinda reminds of the last one tbh... "we are going to have warm ups before the game start, yay, that has never been seen in Madden before" , yeah **** gameplay lets put some real **** it. Oh well, I'll try demo and go back to 2k5 or wait for 'breaker

# 93 lgxjames @ 04/30/10 01:27 AM
The irony of people praising backbreaker when they ADMIT to being a arcadish sim

# 94 rudyjuly2 @ 04/30/10 09:41 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by lgxjames
The irony of people praising backbreaker when they ADMIT to being a arcadish sim
I agree. I see quite a few posts from people criticizing Madden heavily over not having everything correct and yet the same people saying "Can't wait for Backbreaker or Tecmo Bowl!". I think some of it is still hatred towards EA over the exclusive deal and they just can't let go despite the fact it's been over five years.

Some of it is simply expectations. People have much higher expectations for Madden than those other games. Madden isn't perfect and has had some flaws hang around forever so when the game doesn't improve much it gets flamed. If you took a newbie to football gaming and had them play Madden and Backbreaker for the first time I'm guessing 90% or more would say Madden is far superior. I'm guilty of this as well but sometimes we just have to step back from the disappointment over a few issues and look at the big picture. Is the game fun?

The other thing is labels. Some people say Tecmo and Backbreaker are arcade so they have no problem accepting certain flaws. Why not just accept Madden for what it is? A football video game. Whether it's pure sim or part sim and arcade, it shouldn't matter how you judge it imo. Just call Madden an arcade football game then and be happy. We should judge games based on how fun they are and not how they perform in a particular genre.

# 95 ODogg @ 04/30/10 09:53 AM
Yeah it's BS rudy how people change their standards. They nitpick Madden about not having the right cleats but then give a pass to Backbreaker for not having any injuries, LOL. Such hypocrisy.

# 96 Bgamer90 @ 04/30/10 10:18 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by ODogg
Yeah it's BS rudy how people change their standards. They nitpick Madden about not having the right cleats but then give a pass to Backbreaker for not having any injuries, LOL. Such hypocrisy.
lol, very true.

# 97 lgxjames @ 04/30/10 12:21 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by rudyjuly2
I agree. I see quite a few posts from people criticizing Madden heavily over not having everything correct and yet the same people saying "Can't wait for Backbreaker or Tecmo Bowl!". I think some of it is still hatred towards EA over the exclusive deal and they just can't let go despite the fact it's been over five years.

Some of it is simply expectations. People have much higher expectations for Madden than those other games. Madden isn't perfect and has had some flaws hang around forever so when the game doesn't improve much it gets flamed. If you took a newbie to football gaming and had them play Madden and Backbreaker for the first time I'm guessing 90% or more would say Madden is far superior. I'm guilty of this as well but sometimes we just have to step back from the disappointment over a few issues and look at the big picture. Is the game fun?

The other thing is labels. Some people say Tecmo and Backbreaker are arcade so they have no problem accepting certain flaws. Why not just accept Madden for what it is? A football video game. Whether it's pure sim or part sim and arcade, it shouldn't matter how you judge it imo. Just call Madden an arcade football game then and be happy. We should judge games based on how fun they are and not how they perform in a particular genre.
Exactly what I'm saying, I want Madden to be as sim as possible, almost to the point where I probably will be happy if I never win the superbowl because it's that realistic...So I get peeved when certain things aren't to my liking but to see people calling for ea's head because they "lied about why short socks are in this year but not last" This place sometimes is more comical than informational (in a good way)

# 98 23 @ 04/30/10 01:06 PM
I can interject here and say this goes far beyond Madden because its the exact same effect in basketball as well.

Backbreaker isnt even out yet and its the first iteration. There really is only so much comparing you can do.

Now give the devs at NM about 6-7 years with the game and they still leave fundamentals in the game in array and you'll see the same kind of despisings, especially when the fanbase has been asking for particulars for years on end.

I do understand what you fellas are saying but the truth is, you ask for one thing and continually get another and the basic things of the game stay damaged then yes there are going to be some issues people take with that.

# 99 cdpig @ 04/30/10 07:29 PM
Gameflow sounds badass!!!

# 100 Bgamer90 @ 05/01/10 12:23 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by 23
I can interject here and say this goes far beyond Madden because its the exact same effect in basketball as well.

Backbreaker isnt even out yet and its the first iteration. There really is only so much comparing you can do.

Now give the devs at NM about 6-7 years with the game and they still leave fundamentals in the game in array and you'll see the same kind of despisings, especially when the fanbase has been asking for particulars for years on end.

I do understand what you fellas are saying but the truth is, you ask for one thing and continually get another and the basic things of the game stay damaged then yes there are going to be some issues people take with that.
I understand that, but still... I remember ones saying "I'm never going to buy a football game that doesn't have proper fatigue, lacking features, etc." in terms of Madden earlier this gen (a good number of them being 2k fanboys) and now they are all over backbreaker and call it "super sim" even though it doesn't have fatigue, injuries, hot routes, etc.

I'm pretty sure that if Madden put in euphoria but took out fatigue, injuries, etc., it would get a lot of bad feedback from the same ones looking forward to backbreaker. Heck, chances are if backbreaker didn't even exist and what I said in my previous sentence was true, ones would call euphoria a "gimmick" (lol).

Post A Comment
Only OS members can post comments
Please login or register to post a comment.