Home
Preview
Madden NFL 12 Preview
Offense

Passing Game

I’ll be talking more about the secondary and so forth later in the preview, so I want to touch on receiver routes and the QB pocket here. First off, QB movement still feels off. The initial foot planting on the drop back and the way the pocket forms around you looks and feels good, but QB movement is spotty. The general issue still stems from scrambling. It’s just very awkward how the QB moves from scanning the field to running for his life. There’s a bit of a gliding motion the QB goes through where the feet have to get revved up real fast in a hurry once you have pressed the button to start scrambling. It does not look or feel right, but it seems like the concession that has been made to activate the QB’s legs during these instances.

In general, QB movement when throwing on the run also feels slightly off. However, in this case it’s all about giving users options no matter what. The game has to allow you to run backwards and throw the ball across the field; otherwise some gamers would be upset. That type of sequence understandably looks really messy and out of place from an animation standpoint. But there are other times where you are on the run, and once again the game almost has to speed up your QB’s body motions to make sure a throw can be made as you are about to be hit. Much like initially going into scramble mode, these are not new issues, and some will not even notice or mind, but it does make the scrambling quarterbacks look out of place in a game trying to look like the real thing. But, to be fair, these issues might tie more into the game engine and the fact that more types of throwing animations may need to be added to correct these faults.

Beyond those issues, the throwing and route running felt sound. I would not say those perfect three- or five-step drops based on timing are in place, but an underrated aspect of Madden has always been lead passing, and that still works great here for those instances. It is also much harder to successfully rack up passing yards this year, especially with the flats being monitored more closely (more on that later), but I did not feel like AI was reading my slant routes before they happened or anything like that. It more seems like the AI has been tweaked to lean a bit inside without giving up easy corner or out routes. Of course all of this is subject to change with lots of gameplay tuning yet to come, but it was refreshing to not just want to go for a slant, fly or flat route the entire time.

Essentially, the early returns on the passing game are that it’s tougher but more rewarding. QB movement still feels like it could be improved with better foot planting, but overall the game seems to want to reward the more creative QB. I threw way less than I ran though, so it was still tough to get a gauge on whether or not you will be able to put more touch on the ball during certain plays. Also, it will be interesting to track the time users will have in the pocket. I was under the gun quite a bit, but for now I’m just chalking it up to getting back into the flow of things.

Running Game

I came away most impressed by the running game. The first thing that immediately stood out to me was the way the offensive linemen really held their blocks and also tried to get to the second line of the defense. In the past, two big issues with the running game have been running lanes suddenly closing, and linemen not having the AI wherewithal to block more than one defender on a given play.

To expand a bit on these two improvements, in the past I have routinely found holes I thought were open, only to have a defender easily disengage from a lineman and tackle my running back as he passed by. This was usually frustrating because it felt more like magic than anything else. If a lineman is holding a defensive tackle at bay, that DT should not just pull away and easily take down my running back at the last possible second. To put it another way, it’s one thing for a running lane to be closed up by a defender moving into the gap from the second line of defense, but it just seemed outrageous more than anything else for the hole to magically close just as I was about to run through it. At the end of the day, my best guess is that the improvements made to suction blocking help to make the visual experience make more sense with what’s going on under the hood of the game engine.

As far as second-tier blocking, it really was gratifying to take the Ravens and Jets in two separate games and put together drives with LT and Ray Rice that were more about getting yards on the ground than in the air. Inside the tackles or outside the tackles, there were yards to be had. And it was truly rewarding because of the improved blocking. Whether it was noticing holes or following blockers in the open field, it felt like your pace and ability to read the play really led to success. I also feel like these improvements were at least partially tied to user skill and my teams as my opponents did not have the same success that I had on the ground.

The overall physics and improved graphics also help this area of the game. It seems odd to tie graphics to an improved running game, but I actually feel strongly about this improvement being tied to the graphics. The graphics in Madden have not been “bad” in my mind, but at times they look muddy or blurry in some respects, which clouds my vision a bit. This year, the graphics have received a substantial upgrade, so it just feels like I have been given eagle vision and can now spot all these running lanes.

The physics tweaks also seem to lead to less "clutter" on the field overall while running. This idea of "clutter" will be a running theme for the preview, so it's important to understand that all it really means is there are not as many bodies falling all over the place. (For example, this will also relate to "tumbleweed" tackling and blocking on returns.) Basically, it just feels like there are more one-on-one battles going on here, and fewer people just nose diving into the ground when blocking or trying to add on to a tackle animation. It makes the experience perhaps not feel as rough and messy as it really is when running between the tackles, but it visually looks much better and allows the users to actually control what's happening in a much better fashion.

At this point, I chalk these improvements up to a renewed focus on AI, as well as the modified approach to how the physics engine is registering when players engage with other players. With a minimized amount of suction blocking, people who love to run should have a more enjoyable time pounding other teams into submission.

Defense

Passing Game

Last year, I constantly felt like the deep ball was a little too easy to pull off. I might be in the minority here, but it just seemed like even elite corners did not stand a chance much of the time if the deep ball was thrown far enough. Perhaps my user-control skills were a bit off, but even a well-timed swat did not do the trick often enough for my liking.

So far with this game, I feel much more in control of the situation on deep balls. I have been able to bat away deep balls on downs where I know they might be coming. I will gladly still get jumped by a deep ball after the run has been established and so forth, but I want those moments where receivers are double covered and still catch the ball to be more rare, and thus more memorable when they happen, this year. For example in a game I was watching between two other folks at the event, I saw one receiver come down with a ball around three defenders at the end of a half. The play did not result in a touchdown or anything, but it still made the users laugh and jump out of their seats because, while it looked a little funny because of the way the player dove through the air to catch the ball, it was a cool moment. Rarity breeds that type of excitement for one side and frustration for the other.

It’s also clear that the NCAA and Madden developers shared gameplay pointers when it comes to defenses covering the flats and communicating with each other. Players on defense are pointing to areas of the field or handing off assignments, and linebackers and corners are much more aggressively halting players coming out of the backfield. While this stunted my “money” plays from a year ago, it was nice to see teams not just giving up five and seven yards like it was no big deal.

The zone defense is also a bit super powered right now, but I would rather the defense have more power than not when it comes to Madden. For now, it seems like the concession being made is that defenses are dropping lots of potential interceptions. I don’t even recall intercepting a ball during the event, but I know I should have had at least five. However, this area is another one that is always hard to balance. Wide receivers really don’t fight the cornerbacks to make sure they don’t intercept passes, so the defenders sort of have to artificially drop a couple here and there in these games. Regardless, zone defense and the interception passes are still being tuned, according to EA.

In short, I believe even the developers would admit the defense has the advantage right now. That being said, I would always rather it be a bit too hard to pass than make it too easy. On this front, it will be more interesting to see if creativity, game planning and unpredictably are the keys to success rather than just “money” routes.

Running Game

One of the big issues with Madden games is what goes on in the trenches. The 3-4 defense never seems to get enough love, and blocker-eating DTs never can really do their thing. I’m not here to say that all is well and good now, but the physics tweaks are presumably allowing linebackers to roam a bit more freely during the pass and rush. In addition to getting mauled by linebackers a couple times on pass attempts, the linebackers just seemed to be more active on the field. I did not have the time or inclination to really scope out if my defensive linemen were just taking up space to make this happen, but whatever was going on here was progress.

I have not really talked about the addition of consecutive hit tackles to this point, but again, NCAA and Madden seem to be sharing here. There is a new wrap-up tackle button, which I can’t remind myself to use yet instead of just going for Hit Stick tackles, but consecutive hit tackles seem to be more imperative for the running game. In tandem with the improved focus on weight and momentum, these make those moments in the trenches flow better. There are fewer bodies just falling over while having no impact on the ball carrier (see: "tumbleweed" tackling). The downfall is that you don’t really see “gang” tackles anymore, but the upshot is you don’t see 10 players face down in the dirt at the end of every play. If anything, it seems like an admission that the former physics engine was not going to work anymore, so now we have a modified engine in place that the team probably wants to build and add onto in the future to create those bigger scrums when necessary.

Beyond that, there is not much more to say about this aspect that I did not discuss while talking about running the ball on offense.

Special Teams

Kicking

As far as I am concerned, the kicking game is just never going to be good as long as a meter is involved. Everyone is all about user control (including this guy), but I would honestly welcome “real” FG percentages when it comes to kicking field goals. In NBA 2K12, those developers have incorporated “real” FT and shooting percentages. All this means is that the players shoot closer to their real-life percentages, regardless of user input. Some scoff at these things, and it does go against the general consensus that user control trumps all in video games, but it just seems like the only logical way to make the kicking game interesting.

That being said, the new kick meter is at least aesthetically more pleasing than a big fat meter running across the bottom of the screen like the one found in last year’s game. Basically, the new meter is similar to one you might have seen in one of the old EA PGA games. I would not say the kick game is any harder or easier with the new meter in place, but it’s something new. On top of that, I may have said it before in my other Madden preview, but I love the new view when kicking field goals. It looks really pretty and mimics the view you would usually see during a game on TV.

Returning

The early returns here are somewhat promising. The action on kick-off returns does not devolve into a clutter of bodies like in the past, again, because of the new tackle/physics tweaks. Instead, it’s a cleaner, more singular battle between players. Again, I think this highlights a potential shortcoming with how the gang tackling is calculated now. While you won’t have guys just falling or diving to the ground all around the ball carrier, football still is a messy game at times. It will be interesting to see if some middle point can be found between utter ridiculous chaos and one-on-one battles on the field.

The punt return portion of special teams seems to fare better with this new gameplay style in place. I witnessed a couple nice returns, and it was not because one player was simply fast enough to get to the outside or because a gunner missed the tackle. Instead, it was more just that the blocking was set up enough, and the punt returner was able to make one move to spring himself for some yardage. The punt return game has been a little too boom or bust in the past, and hopefully this is a sign that punt returns can exist somewhere in the middle.

Final Thoughts

It has to be hard to find balance during a game of controlled chaos. With so many AI players interacting with one another, the physics engine and AI have to be on point or end up making the game look ridiculous. The last system in place led to massive scrums and players diving all over each other, inevitably leading to many fans to turn on the Benny Hill theme song while playing.

In addition, the removal of suction blocking and suction play in general has been something EA has tried to eradicate for years. While it’s probably not going to ever vanish completely during this generation, the tweaks made to the physics engine do have some clear benefits, as well as a couple potential shortcomings. All in all, the developers are not trying to win the war this year when it comes to the problems surrounding physics and suction blocking, but they do clearly want to win a decisive battle in Madden 12.

And while these elements of the game will receive the most focus, the other element worth watching closely is whether or not the presentational uniqueness being introduced to the game carries over to the way each team feels and plays.

Simply put, no one should be thrown off by the game this year because it does feel quite familiar from a pick-up-and-play standpoint, but if gameplay balance is found, there’s enough here to get people excited about where the franchise can end up in the future.

Follow me on Twitter (@ChaseBecotte) or Add as Friend on Facebook.

Madden NFL 12 Videos
Member Comments
# 61 Only1LT @ 05/12/11 02:52 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChaseB
Ha well, I think you're probably reading a little too much into what I said, and for the record I've never asked the developers directly about this, so I'm not speaking for them in this regard. I would think, as someone else said, they perhaps have just not found the right balance yet in terms of how to deal with it more than anything. I can't really think of another game that nailed this issue either. So it strikes me that it's probably really hard to get throwing on the run and all that correct while still staying functional and relatively fun for a broad base of gamers.

I've seen a couple comparisons to NBA 2K, so I feel like I should clear up I guess this misconception. For YEARS NBA 2K -- much like The Show up until this year -- got crap for not being revolutionary enough or not taking enough risks or whatever you want to call it. NBA 2K11 added some really helpful new things to the controls this year, and also redid dribbling -- also really helpful. But in the grand scheme of things, on the court it's the same game it has been for years. But the point is that NBA 2K did not get to where it is making these MASSIVE, ground-breaking achievements on a yearly basis. They found a base (and an engine) that was really good, sound and customizable, and have done an incredible job building and adding to it on a yearly basis.

What you want sounds more like what NBA Elite attempted in one year than anything else.

I don't want to turn this into a debate thread, because I'm sure that's not what you intended this thread to be, but I had to comment on these two points of yours, quickly.

The first point about the balance of animation and control. I'm not sure that it is a balance issue for them. 2K has animations to address these issues, not just in their football game, but in many of their sports titles, if not all of them. Now, whether you feel they "nailed" this aspect or not, their design choices tend to skew towards simulation. I'm not saying that these issues are easy to contend with, by any stretch, but let's be frank, the developers of Madden aren't even trying.

I'm going to go out on a limb and say that the devs are intelligent enough to know that some of the actions performed in the game in general, QB's throwing on the run or across their bodies specifically, aren't physically possible. That being the case, I have to assume that the game's lack of addressing those issues are nothing other than design choices, ie this is how they want the game to play, for what ever reason. And even if, as you say, the engines somehow prevent them from tackling these issues, they are the ones who designed them, so it still boils down to design choice.

The question isn't can they address them, it is will they ever come around to the possibility that they can design a game where you can not perform unrealistic actions, and that players will understand that this is ok.

The NBA 2K point. I think most people understand that NBA 2K and the Show are still very similar to their last gen iterations, though there is no denying the additions and strides they've made. So I don't really think there is a misconception there. The difference, for many people, and this is why they make the comparisons that they do, is that although Madden has, likewise, definitely made additions and improvements over the years, many feel like it needs drastic changes before it can get to the point where a tweak here or tweak there is viewed in the same light as the tweak here, tweak there approach that 2K and the Show have largely employed.

When you already love the foundation of a game, then any positive additions or improvements are met with adulation. When you hate the foundation, then small additions are met with a different sentiment, closer to loathing lol. That's where those types of comments really come from. It's really just in the eye of the beholder.

# 62 WFColonel56 @ 05/12/11 02:54 PM
has the 4-3 defense changes any?...its been the same 3 formations since 04..

and are there any new plays in the 4-3 formations?

is there a 4-4 stack defense? (the formation that people commonly think about when you say 4-4)

# 63 Armor and Sword @ 05/12/11 03:05 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by DJ
Yeah, Monday will be big in terms of franchise info. That's a huge selling point for me. I still feel buyers' remorse over Madden 11; I should've just stayed with 10 for another year as there wasn't enough of a change to warrant a switch, imo.

I've been playing these games for 20-plus years, so things really need to wow me to get me to pay full-price for games. NBA 2K11 did that by adding Jordan and all that went with him being in the game, not to mention the on-court improvements they made. MLB The Show just does so much right it's hard not to support that title.

Madden and NCAA really rubbed myself and a lot of people the wrong way with their respective performances on this generation of consoles, especially from 06-09. Madden started to turn a corner in 10, and stayed stagnant last year. Hopefully things continue to move forward. I feel like NCAA 11 made significant advances from years past, but so far 12 doesn't look all that different from 11 (reminds of Madden 11-Madden 10 comparisons).

The demos will play a big part, too.

Oh I hear you. I also have been playing 20 plus years so we can call ourselves the pioneer console sports gamers lol. I did not go next gen till late 2009 so I was spared the frustration of Madden 06-09. I learned from my jump from PS to PS2 to wait at least 2 years before changing consoles to let the developers to get their footing with the new power at their disposal. So my first next gen Madden was 2010 and the first Madden I had purchased since Madden 2007 for PS2. NCAA 2011 was my first NCAA title since 2007 also for PS2. So I have not been as jaded by the last few years of sub standard football games.

I took a chance by trading in my current titles (Madden 11 NCAA11) and I am going to roll with the new ones. I really hope I don't regeret it. With NCAA 11 it was tough because the game is truly awesome. But the new Graphics engine as well as the improved tackling and defensive AI made it a must buy. I don't see myself getting anymore football titles till at least the 2014 versions are released.

# 64 BezO @ 05/12/11 03:21 PM
Another question Chase...

I watched the NCAA vids and noticed a lot of legacy issues. Can you comment on any of these?

-Defensive Alignment - I remember reading about this being a point of emphasis, but it still looked like a problem in NCAA. Are you noticing the defense allowing themselves to be out flanked? For example, I noticed in the NCAA vids, on the TE side, both the DE & OLB line up inside the TE sometimes.

-Contain - In addition to the alignment issues, DEs & OLBs still seem unaware of contain responsibilities. Is it still too easy to run outside? Especially with no engaged player lateral mobility, unless the OLB or DE "wins", too often, it's one-on-one on the edge with a CB.

-Any special teams improvements? Any double teams on the gunners on punts? Any new kick/punt return plays? Was the surprise onside in?

# 65 DJ @ 05/12/11 03:22 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Armor & Sword
Oh I hear you. I also have been playing 20 plus years so we can call ourselves the pioneer console sports gamers lol. I did not go next gen till late 2009 so I was spared the frustration of Madden 06-09. I learned from my jump from PS to PS2 to wait at least 2 years before changing consoles to let the developers to get their footing with the new power at their disposal. So my first next gen Madden was 2010 and the first Madden I had purchased since Madden 2007 for PS2. NCAA 2011 was my first NCAA title since 2007 also for PS2. So I have not been as jaded by the last few years of sub standard football games.

I took a chance by trading in my current titles (Madden 11 NCAA11) and I am going to roll with the new ones. I really hope I don't regeret it. With NCAA 11 it was tough because the game is truly awesome. But the new Graphics engine as well as the improved tackling and defensive AI made it a must buy. I don't see myself getting anymore football titles till at least the 2014 versions are released.
I hope you don't regret the decision, either. I do think we will see some offline franchise improvement in Madden 12 and NCAA 12 will be a tightened-up version of NCAA 11, which as you said, is very good. As an FSU alumn, it's going to be hard not to get that game just due to the fact that Chief Osceola and Renegade are in the game.

I'm going to wait until Monday's blog about Franchise before I make a decision about what I'm going to do this year. Either I will trade in both 11 games and get this year's versions (and ride with them until the next gen of consoles), or I'll stick with what I've got and just play that for another year.

# 66 at23steelers @ 05/12/11 03:41 PM
Sorry, Chase, I looked for your presentation blog and couldn't find it. Do you mean your responses in the question / answer thread or did you actually write an actual blog?

# 67 ChaseB @ 05/12/11 03:58 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by at23steelers
Sorry, Chase, I looked for your presentation blog and couldn't find it. Do you mean your responses in the question / answer thread or did you actually write an actual blog?
Well I wrote an earlier Madden 12 preview that's pretty much alllll about presentation. And I assume I probably talked more about it in the QA thread as well. Check the Previews section for the article, and then just search this forum for the first Madden 12 preview -- should be in red.

# 68 SteelerSpartan @ 05/12/11 04:00 PM
Specifically with the Defensive Pre-Play Controls.......

When using the Old Controls

Could you shift your DL Left/Right.....Your DBs Back/Press with the Left Analog Stick???

This was left out of the Madden 11 "Old Controls", They forced you to use the D-Pad for those commands.....and was the major problem everybody had with StratPad........Its much easier to do your Defensive Hot Routing and shifting with the left analog presses

# 69 BezO @ 05/12/11 04:14 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by SteelerSpartan
.....Your DBs Back/Press with the Left Analog Stick???
I meant to ask about this. Chase, can you explain how pressing CBs individually works? Is it quick & seemless? Will I be able to press one CB, back the other off & bring the SS in the box without fear of being quick snapped?

And actually, is there a separate control for bringing the SS in the box?

# 70 adriano @ 05/12/11 10:20 PM
Chase,

The thing I hate with Madden, is when I aim my passes, sometimes
they are no where near where I was aiming, and my receiver adjusts
and catches it. Did you notice any of that?

# 71 Jarodd21 @ 05/13/11 04:00 PM
Question Chase...

Are DBs able to grab sideline or back of the endzone INTs and do the have an animation for toe tapping catches for the secondary by the sideline? If you notice on the last few Maddens DBs never pick off interceptions around 3 yards from the sideline or the back of the endzone. I was wondering if that animation got throwed in for the the secondary.

# 72 RogueHominid @ 05/13/11 04:49 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by tazdevil20
Yeah, this just made it sound like this game is still not going to be very good. I just wonder what they work on. It sounds like all of the major problems are still there minus a few tune ups.
No offense to those involved, but I came away from the review with a similar feeling that there wasn't that much to be really excited about. It's nice that some run plays showed potential improvements to run blocking, but the lack of clarity on why the 34 LBs seemed more active, exactly how the OL/DL interacted on pass plays, and what exactly made the CPU defenders better at zone leaves something to be desired.

It's not like they have limitless time and resources, but from a PR perspective, it probably would have been better to preview very specific parts of the the game like the run game, the pocket, coverage, etc, and let Chase look at focused issues over a little longer time. That way there'd be some real specific info about exactly what is the same and what is different gemeplay wise.

Right now, the small sample size and gestalt approach seems to have produced a neutral effect. I'd love a preview of the new defensive schemes that tells how you can use new controls to combat favored sets and routes, how shading works, all that stuff. That would be more useful I think.

On the one issue that seemed to stand out as positive, did you sense, Chase, that there was a particular reason attribute wise that your players could hold their blocks longer, or did it seem like a global improvement?

I played with TEN a lot, and their RG is an 82 OVR but gets tossed at the LOS every dang play lol and it was so frustrating. This happens a lot I notice with average lineman, almost like there's no middle ground between not blocking a guy and blocking a guy. You either get great drive and a pancake or a quick whip and toss animation. With what you say, it sounds like there was more gray area where guys made longer blocks generally. Is that accurate?

Post A Comment
Only OS members can post comments
Please login or register to post a comment.