Home
Preview
NBA 2K12 Preview

NBA 2K is built on a foundation of gameplay and presentation elements that become more refined with each new title. The new additions in NBA 2K12 are sure to be welcomed by the basketball purists. But with a special attention being made to star-player mannerisms and animations, signature style may be stronger than ever.

The first improvement NBA 2K players will notice is the overall polish. Menu colors are vibrant, and the main menu highlights NBA players with in-action still photos. These photos blend realism with the fictional NBA 2K world. Beautifully sculpted in-game player models come to life in pregame introductions. Wade and LeBron might be casually holding a Spalding ball, or Dirk and company might be standing in front of the camera with their mean muggin’ game faces on.

The graphical elements during introductions highlight superstar player models with a sponsored backdrop; the overall feel strikes me as a pay-per-view heavyweight bout, showcasing the world’s best in a tale of the tape. It’s a nice platform to show off the improved player faces and also the considerable detail made to the tattoos. Shading and lighting of the tattoos, coupled with the improved skin tones, were things that caught my attention from the start.

Gameplay Elements

NBA 2K12's gameplay feels more refined. I felt more in control than in the past, partly due to less clunkiness in the animations. Moves were tighter and more crisply executed; this makes it easier to branch from one animation to the next. The dribbling attacks happen in a smaller radius on the court, resulting in more control of your athletes in a given space. This will allow moves in the lane or post to be executed in a more precise fashion without unintentionally dribbling into crowded areas on the floor.

The post-up button has been moved to Y/Triangle, which I am not a fan of so far. It just does not feel practical to use your "shot stick" thumb to press the post-up button before returning back to the right stick. The dual-trigger post-up was inherently natural in my opinion because it allowed for a gamer to hold both triggers to initiate the post-up maneuver. From there, you could continue to hold down one of the triggers and initiate into a variety of moves. On the bright side, drop steps were harder to execute with the improved defensive mechanics that allow gamers to cut off certain angles. I was only able to pull off one drop step in my time with the game.

Beyond that, I was also unable to determine what button the "signature gather" was mapped to now, which tends to be one of my favorite mid-range moves. I was not able to confirm different control schemes, but I’m optimistic last year’s scheme will be an option.

Some other random things I noticed include subtle nuances that have been added for casual dribbles and mannerisms. The game also allows users to add up to 16 plays in a playbook to any particular player on the floor. If Kobe is your guy, he can truly be the focal point now. Another addition I loved was the tweaked in-game coaching strategy mapped to the directional pad. Players can instruct a basic offense to set screens for shooters or to space the floor rather than run specific plays. This allows the game to flow while running a core offensive system on the fly.

NBA’s Greatest

Dr. J steps on the court laced in optical white Star Player high-tops with the bravado of a world-class baller. His history was made, and it is now in the hands of everyone to remake and remix it.

NBA 2K12's Greatest mode is a digital basketball hall of fame featuring playable basketball tales from the greats around every corner. This mode has me beyond excited to play through these classic challenges.

Each era of the NBA is represented dating back to Mr. Logo himself, Jerry West. Animation sets change between eras, shifting from fundamentals of the '60s to the flash and uptempo hoops of the '70s. In my brief time with Ewing and the Knicks, I was able to witness some hard fouls and the ruggedness of the NBA in this era. However, I do not know yet if it was just this game I was playing, or if it was a purposely installed theme in the game. (One can only hope eras will be presented in the game in such a way.)

The legends are true representations, each with his own personal style. (This game mode is most likely where we will see a ton of new animations.) Julius Erving’s body frame appeared and felt unique to his game. His larger than life wingspan, and his maneuverability in the air allowed him to attack the rim at ease.

Bill Russell’s thin frame provided a skill set to rebound and defend over anybody on the court, with considerable touch around the rim. A player from a more Cousy-era has a fundamentally sound dribble game and fundamental shot while rocking uncomfortably tight shorts.

In the old-school Celtics/Lakers game, the Celtics play on old school woodgrain courts with no advertisements in the arena -- just folding tables in place of a scorer’s tables. The commentary had a filter over the voices, authentic to the sounds of the generation.

Final Thoughts

In my short time with NBA 2K12, my excitement level has increased. There seems to have been a focus on distinguishing each player and his skill set, which is a welcomed addition. I hope this focus will lead to more exciting matchups on each end of the floor because it would only enhance the strategies that could be built and executed.

NBA 2K12 Videos
Member Comments
# 81 Pared @ 09/01/11 12:26 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by wizzleman
@Pared, so the flick flick shots are gone this year ? I only used it in the post with big men sometimes but it was nice.
No I'm just saying if you do it this way you incorporate user control into the mix instead of just a dice roll.

# 82 PLAYER 4 REAL @ 09/01/11 09:55 AM
2 K12 KEEP THE CONTROLS THE WAY THAY ARE DO NOT CHANGE THE CONTROL !!!!!! YOU CAN MAKE IT SO WE CAN WATCH FRIENDS PLAY EACH OTHER AFTER TRASH TALKING IN A PARTY PLAY 4 REAL !

# 83 ffaacc03 @ 09/01/11 10:32 AM
Hopefully part 2 comes out either today or on saturday, as tomorrow (unless a delay) we shall have some meat to eat.

# 84 Shield @ 09/01/11 02:40 PM
God i can't wait, the legends teams are superb

# 85 Clarke_311 @ 09/01/11 06:27 PM
I don't think I have ever looked more forward to a game than I am for NBA 2K12. We haven't even found out anything about Assosiation and My Player, and it's already a for sure first-day bye for me. October 4th can't come soon enough.

# 86 Blak_Baki_Hanma @ 09/01/11 07:32 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by PLAYER 4 REAL
2 K12 KEEP THE CONTROLS THE WAY THAY ARE DO NOT CHANGE THE CONTROL !!!!!! YOU CAN MAKE IT SO WE CAN WATCH FRIENDS PLAY EACH OTHER AFTER TRASH TALKING IN A PARTY PLAY 4 REAL !
Although spectator mode is a GREAT idea (and a few games have it), 2k and their 3rd world servers aren't even close. Good luck completing a ranked game for the first 4-6 weeks. I will purchase 2k12... but only after the community has confirmed online play (all modes) works as advertised.

Speak with your wallet... it's the loudest voice you have. Instead of wishlists, consumers have the power to make DEMANDS. IF WE DEMAND SPECTATOR MODE (i.e. we will not pay for less), 2k would be FORCED to improve their online performance and give us spectator mode. Until the majority of us make it a "dealbreaker", don't expect change.

My money's on online play... when they provide it, I'll pay to play.

# 87 BullFan 23 @ 09/02/11 03:16 AM
I want more insight about game play, create a player, and etc. I can careless about the greatest mode. I do these things last.

# 88 erickonasis @ 09/02/11 11:37 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by PLAYER 4 REAL
2 K12 KEEP THE CONTROLS THE WAY THAY ARE DO NOT CHANGE THE CONTROL !!!!!! !
This....

I know they change the controls every year but hopefully they dont this year...2k11's was perfect

# 89 erickonasis @ 09/02/11 11:39 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pared
Guys - this thread is about 2k - not EA.

As for the hopstep - you can do that on command as a layup, so it is still there to a certain extent.

What they should do is the following:

-left/right on shotstick + LT = hop step in that direction (like it already is)
-a second flick is required in that direction equates to a finish at the rim. Will also allow you to control how you finish.
-If you don't second flick, you hop step then remain stationary.

This way

1) it's controllable
2) you introduce skill by the user; gone are the hold LT+flick layup shots that are automatic gimmes

It's more complicated this way but it solves the problem you all are pointing out.

You should probably wait and see until you play it before you decide if you like it or not.
awww dammm

# 90 erickonasis @ 09/02/11 11:41 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Footballforever
To be completely Honest, I don't care about current NBA, This game Has all the great 90's teams I will be in Heaven, I can stay stuck in the 90's NBA forever Best era EVER!!!!
Truth....my association is definitely going to be custom with just classic teams probably...Maybe a some current teams but just the good ones

# 91 SBartlett @ 09/02/11 12:02 PM
Thanks all. We will have more coverage coming soon as we get more time with the game.

# 92 Pared @ 09/02/11 12:50 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by erickonasis
This....

I know they change the controls every year but hopefully they dont this year...2k11's was perfect
They changed the controls and I'm sure most will get used to it.

As always, there will be people who prefer older controls.

# 93 ernie07 @ 09/02/11 12:58 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Self313
ok so at what point do you realize that people are waiting on the meat n potatoes... who cares about these old dudes.. its dope yeah but this is 2011... lets see gameplay, myplayer, association... Im 27 I loved those guys back then... Im a die hard pistons fan... but cmon...

I mean this year 2k is givin us the run around... last year we had these things moving... I just wanna see somethin that I'll actually play... Ive had 2k11 since the first minute of release lol and I still havent played with Jordan...
im 27 too and i love the classic teams, I can play with jordan all day everyday. And now theyre going to have a young kobe!!!! yup this game will be great. how have you not played with MJ !?!?!?

# 94 erickonasis @ 09/02/11 03:07 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pared
They changed the controls and I'm sure most will get used to it.

As always, there will be people who prefer older controls.
urrrrrgghhhhh ...time to relearn everything...had them mastered too for both ps3 and xbox....

i guess thats a good and bad thing...keeps the game fresh to some extent

# 95 Money99 @ 09/02/11 03:16 PM
I hope there's news on My Player in Part 2 of this review. I love those modes.

# 96 Jackmouv @ 09/02/11 05:14 PM
I don't care about nothing but the SERVERS. Will I be able to play online teamup with 5v5 and headsets. That should be their MAIN area of focus. WE have not been able to run 10 player games with headsets since they came out with TeamUp like 3 or 4 versions ago, and the servers STILL SUCK. GET them fixed!!!!!!!!!!!

# 97 Uncle Way @ 09/02/11 06:54 PM
Damn I can't wait...

# 98 panthersfanstev @ 09/02/11 09:44 PM
Cannot wait for this game! Lots of favorite teams from the recent past. I imagine that the current draft class will not be available until a new CBA is reached, that is the one downside, but we shall have to wait and see.

# 99 AIR96st @ 09/03/11 10:05 AM
I wish people would ask the REAL questions. Sure the game looks great, but will Online actually Work this year? Will we run into the same Server problems? Like will I have to set my 360's time zone to Japan Just to play a Crew Game? Will they be quick to ban the cheaters? Those are just a few of the questions I would like the answers to..

# 100 youvalss @ 09/03/11 02:20 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by AIR96st
I wish people would ask the REAL questions. Sure the game looks great, but will Online actually Work this year? Will we run into the same Server problems? Like will I have to set my 360's time zone to Japan Just to play a Crew Game? Will they be quick to ban the cheaters? Those are just a few of the questions I would like the answers to..
These questions are asked on a daily basis. You're not alone.

Post A Comment
Only OS members can post comments
Please login or register to post a comment.