Home
Preview
NBA Live 13 Preview

I recently got the chance to see NBA Live 13 in action and while the results weren't the greatest to be sure, there were some helpful tidbits of information you could gather from my initial viewing. The NBA Live 13 team showed us an early pre-alpha version of the game, which according to the Developers,  was 60% complete -- so it was a quite early version of the game which probably won't represent the final product, at least that's the theory I'm working with for now.

The main focus behind NBA Live 13 are three key building blocks which the entire game is being built around for the future: gameplay, presentation, and online.

NBA Live 13 is trying to give the user as much control as possible, with the ability to break out of any animation at any time. The team showed off a triple threat animation and a pass out of a jumper, but it wasn't anything jaw dropping to be sure. Actually, the dunks didn't look bad, but the speed of the moves and the players seemed too fast to me (more on that later).

In the post game, offensive and defensive players are independent of each other, so you will see a variety of animations down low between both players. I wish they would have showed some better examples. Instead, they showed a couple of post game moves with Durant guarding LeBron in the paint. They both banged a little and Bron branched out of it and shot a turnaround jump shot.

The animations looked robotic and not very good at all in the demo. While the overall graphics package looks pretty solid sans-animations, if the animations aren't there then the whole package falls apart quickly. It's entirely possible that this is due to the early build of the game, but what we were shown wasn't up to snuff to be sure.

In the next example, 'Bron does a drop step and the users controller starts to rumble, depending on how hard Durant is trying to push Bron away from the bucket. The controller actually rumbles more if the contact becomes more physical. When timed right, the user will be able to get the drop step and get to the rim. This animation looked a little better and the fingers actually wrapped around the rim on the dunk. Still, nothing really mind blowing here but it is what it is.

While the team showed the offensive moves, they didn't show how the defense can actually defend it. It seemed more offensive friendly, but they did say the defense has a counter for every offensive move and vice versa. Just found it strange, they didn't show any examples of it. Perhaps that is coming later?

Another new feature in Live 13 is a new partnership between EA Sports and Synergy, the official data provider to the NBA. They track all player moves and shots in a database and gives EA access to that database. The AI plays to those strengths and weaknesses, but will also learn from experiences in the game.

They showed some real life footage between the Bulls and Hornets. The footage showed how a certain play the Bulls ran, had a second option if a team defended the first, and the team tended to indicate this dynamic and realistic play depth would make it's way into the game in some form. I found it odd that they showed real life footage, instead of showing it in the game which may indicate the feature isn't fully finished just yet. The Live 13 guys claim they have the tech to make it happen, but that is about as far as they talked about it at this juncture.

ESPN is integrated with the game, so the graphics and transitions are ESPN broadcast quality. When showing the players and teams warm up, it uses the same camera angles ESPN uses during an actual game, and it will be different, depending on arena. Mo-caps were used during pre-game, substitutions, halftime and postgame routines.

Player authenticity was important to the team, as they actually spent a lot of time on each player's likeness. All player accessories have been included, as well as signature emotions from some of the top athletes, however no names were given as to which players got the extra treatment.

Online gaming is another one of the building blocks mentioned by the team and is being treated as very important. NBA LIve 13 will rely on the EA servers to keep everything going smoothly with the plan to keep user experiences fresh with new updates all season long.

Jeff Van Gundy and Mike Breen lead the way with their commentary in the game. While it was difficult to hear, because of some audio issues with the build we were shown, from what I did hear, it seemed fine, at least during the intros. During gameplay, the volume was turned down and I couldn't really hear anything.

During the gameplay, I noticed no off the ball player movement. I mean none. But the Developers stated they simply wanted to show off the passing, so plays were not being run. Another head scratcher to me as this made the game look a little ridiculous. They showed a signature shot from LeBron James, but it didn't look very natural to me at all. In fact, many of the animations seemed to skip frames, it just wasn't fluid. While zooming into player heads, facial hair and tattoos looked great, the gameplay was simply just not worth showing at this time. It's possible/likely this will be cleaned up before launch, but it's worth noting we simply weren't shown much to impress us on the gameplay just yet.

The game seemed too fast. Actually, it looked more arcady to me than sim. Players moved too fast and the developers stated there were no plans at this time to add a speed slider. That is not a good sign for sure. They are implementing a collision system, but they didn't show it at all. It almost seemed like they were more interested in showing off the graphics than actual gameplay.  I came away disappointed as Live 13 was actually my most anticipated game to see coming into E3. The team admitted there were some bugs within the build they displayed, but also claim the foundation has been set and the bugs we saw will be fixed.

Hopefully I get to see a more recent build in the coming months to get a more accurate preview. For now I just have to call it how I see it and the game simply wasn't ready for prime time in my initial viewing. We'll see how it shapes up in the coming months.

NBA Live 13 Videos
Member Comments
# 161 cree ross @ 06/07/12 01:44 PM
I just feel that nba live series is just like the Los Angeles Lakers.... the window has closed. I think the best plan would be to hold off and reboot it for the next gen. Another bad nba game from EA and the live series is finished

# 162 TMayne313 @ 06/08/12 12:43 PM
I think/hope EA is being quiet with what theyre doing because they dont want any of their ideas leaked out so that they could be copied by the competition. This isnt even what we're gonna see in the demo and that wont be out til at least august. Im hopeful with the final product just because they had so much time to work on the game

# 163 P-Dub @ 06/08/12 03:12 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Subversion
Yep same feelings here. I saw the private presentation of Live at E3 and came away thinking "They had 2 years to develop a new idea, and all they did was borrow ANT from FIFA?" All the other assets are from Elite 11'.
ANT was used for NBA Elite 11 as well.

# 164 mvb34 @ 06/08/12 04:26 PM
Why is eveyone keeping saying they had 2 years of devolpment when fact is they got rid of the old team except from one person, moved from Canada to Florida. Who knows how long it took them decided what they want and not want, not unlike a sports team who fires their coach and GM the new guy comes in looks around see what he likes and don't like and bring there people and scheme. Before this year I can't remember the last time EA or 2K showed basketball at E3 event. I will give them the benefit of the doubt if only because I want another basketball option.

# 165 KnicksFan88 @ 06/08/12 04:54 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sydney Deane
Two years and their objective is still bells and whistles.
LoL I Feel you But Those Things are what really Brings the Game Together As Long As The Gameplay is Solid..

# 166 KnicksFan88 @ 06/08/12 05:03 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by gdh5503
These guys spend so much money on strategy marketing and development that they forget about gameplay, player models and AI adaptability. It has been 13 years and we still don't have a basketball sim to revolutionize the way we play basketball games. 2k to me still has another level to go and i don't think they will do it this year either.

To me 2K12 was a downgrade. 2K11 was okay... Better than 2K12, but okay. I still don't see it happening this year either. I don't know what they are waiting for but they haven't wowed me. I mean think about it for a second just really sit back and think about it. Have we seen a basketball sim that has revolutionized the way we play simulation basketball? It has been over 13 years we have spent money to play these so called simulation basketball games.

I am not talking about the development over the years because I give them credit in the sense that as a game in general they have come pretty far from a graphic standpoint and the things you can do as a user, the moves and stuff you can pull off, but what I am taking about is changing the way we play and the way the AI plays against us. I have not been immersed into a basketball sim yet. Not even 2K has sucked me into that "experience" that they talk about every year. Presentation, gameplay all that is okay but not spectacular the way it is hyped up. I found myself skipping through the Sprint momentum play by play by Doris Burke the halftime report I skip, and the intermissions with other teams that are playing report gets skipped. Even the intros I skipped after a month.

I know this thread is about Live 13 but I just got to say it all because they are both making claims about simulation, gameplay experience, ESPN this, Sprite that, and neither Live or 2K has really showed up. Live especially, these dudes been out the game for two years and their build is below average at this point and they don't have very long to go to launch and I fear for them. look how long its been that we have played these basketball games. Just sit and think about it. What are they waiting for, Next Gen consoles? I hope not because we will be right back here again, all next gen is going to be is graphic enhancement.

Its been a very long time for these basketball sims and we are still being tickled with gameplay and visuals. Just think about it as a consumer. Does anyone feel cheated but me? Just my opinion either 2K and maybe Live for that matter are holding back for something big for next year because it is not this year and I can guarantee that based on what I have seen so far and we all know they don't have a whole lot of time to scrap and build again before launch or in reality they have reached their CEILING.

Both games in my opinion need an EXTREME MAKEOVER from player models not just faces, to presentation and commentary adaptability, replays and halftime reports, a real deep and immersive Dynasty mode, deep and immersive Create a player not just my player but create a player in Dynasty mode, Olympic games and teams not in a mode only but also into the deep and immersive Dynasty mode and so on. Its been 13 years?!!??
I Agree With You On Alot of The Things you Said, Which Needs To Be Said To The people The Really matter and get them to understand. I Feel Cheated But Only For The Last Few Years Because There was only basketball game out. I Feel As Though Live Was Bringing us What True Basketball Fans Needed up to 2010 beside 2007. I Feel Cheated in A Sense The With NBA Games Because They Never Just Go All The Way in, Put Everything in The Game That They Know We Want, especially in The Dynasty Mode Like You Were Saying..

# 167 22cedric @ 06/08/12 06:09 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tyrant8RDFL
Yes Im having a hard time believing with 2 years worth of work on this title,and what they displayed was only at 60% with major bugs, horrible animations , and not being able to showcase more than graphics. With only 4 months away from launch how can we has the consumer feel confident?

Man I'm so disappointed
don't worry about this e3 info floating around put the negativity aside & stay positive.

# 168 Boilerbuzz @ 06/08/12 06:14 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by mvb34
Why is eveyone keeping saying they had 2 years of devolpment when fact is they got rid of the old team except from one person, moved from Canada to Florida. Who knows how long it took them decided what they want and not want, not unlike a sports team who fires their coach and GM the new guy comes in looks around see what he likes and don't like and bring there people and scheme. Before this year I can't remember the last time EA or 2K showed basketball at E3 event. I will give them the benefit of the doubt if only because I want another basketball option.
Actually, in one of the previews, they SAID that this was NOT going to be a 2 year title. So folks can get off that kick, honestly. They said that they took a year to figure out where they were and what they wanted to do. I guess that means they needed to just learn what was there. Makes sense. And so to think that the game is not done... OF COURSE. Sounds a LOT like what VC went through with NHL and MLB. The question is, does Tiburon get as a pass? That's a rhetorical question. No need to answer. To each his own.

# 169 23 @ 06/08/12 06:17 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boilerbuzz
Actually, in one of the previews, they SAID that this was NOT going to be a 2 year title. So folks can get off that kick, honestly. They said that they took a year to figure out where they were and what they wanted to do. I guess that means they needed to just learn what was there. Makes sense. And so to think that the game is not done... OF COURSE. Sounds a LOT like what VC went through with NHL and MLB. The question is, does Tiburon get as a pass? That's a rhetorical question. No need to answer. To each his own.
Tell me something man

Was there a passionate bball fan alive that played these games that didnt know what was wrong?

# 170 Paul Pierce_OS @ 06/08/12 06:27 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by 23
Tell me something man

Was there a passionate bball fan alive that played these games that didnt know what was wrong?
As a guy who dose some coding, it is not as simple as people make it out to be. You can't just remove hunched players in a second and I think that's not what your guys are getting. I'm sure they went through and picked out bits and pieces of the file, which takes 100's if not thousands of hours to do with how complex NBA video games are. So yes, I could see them taking a year to just pick out what things need to be fixed through coding. Then their took this year to implement the programing they want in the game. But I sadly I do not work their to tell you but it's not easy as you guys make it sound.

# 171 23 @ 06/08/12 06:36 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul Pierce
As a guy who dose some coding, it is not as simple as people make it out to be. You can't just remove hunched players in a second and I think that's not what your guys are getting. I'm sure they went through and picked out bits and pieces of the file, which takes 100's if not thousands of hours to do with how complex NBA video games are. So yes, I could see them taking a year to just pick out what things need to be fixed through coding. Then their took this year to implement the programing they want in the game. But I sadly I do not work their to tell you but it's not easy as you guys make it sound.
Doesn't sound like any other game developing process though

Come on man.. so they removed all the crap in a years time, and then worked on it for a year, and it still looks hunch backed and stiff, and the guys at E3 ALL saw the same legacy issues

So im asking you, whats going on over there?

# 172 EAGLESFAN10 @ 06/08/12 06:38 PM
some of the ppl on here just flat out dont like EA/LIVE its not that hard 2 see

but they gone see when they come swaggin lol

# 173 Da_Czar @ 06/08/12 06:44 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigeastbumrush
Czar...drop a link for your show. I want to tune in.
Here you go Bigeast

http://tobtr.com/s/3356093

# 174 23 @ 06/08/12 06:45 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by EAGLESFAN10
some of the ppl on here just flat out dont like EA/LIVE its not that hard 2 see

but they gone see when they come swaggin lol
They dont like em huh

Tell us, what they gone see Eaglesfan?

What they gone see?

# 175 Paul Pierce_OS @ 06/08/12 06:50 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by 23
Doesn't sound like any other game developing process though

Come on man.. so they removed all the crap in a years time, and then worked on it for a year, and it still looks hunch backed and stiff, and the guys at E3 ALL saw the same legacy issues

So im asking you, whats going on over there?
I'm in no way defending their actions, but I just hate to see people saying stuff thinking its a quick fix. Yes, they could have been more productive with their time. And BTW, 23 we have not even seen ANY full gameplay video of the current build. People forget the build people played at E3 is 60% not the game itself.

# 176 23 @ 06/08/12 06:58 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul Pierce
I'm in no way defending their actions, but I just hate to see people saying stuff thinking its a quick fix. Yes, they could have been more productive with their time. And BTW, 23 we have not even seen ANY full gameplay video of the current build. People forget the build people played at E3 is 60% not the game itself.

I dont think anything is a quick fix, but for the fact that they screwed the pooch, alienated their fans, took 2 years, and we still see some of the same stuff popping up.. Brotha there is a problem at NASA

Not only that, but people talking now are just jabbering. If they release a game that looks no different than or less than their best iteration after all of this time, then they will be blasted to high heaven Elite style

I think everybody is waiting to see, regardless of all the talk

What I find funny is the kids coming here calling old Live fans...2k fanboys

# 177 LionsFanNJ @ 06/08/12 07:01 PM
All this 60% stuff and I bet we still see huchbacked, jersey painted on, too fast animated players/ lack of movement when the "real" gameplay videos come out.

# 178 Boilerbuzz @ 06/08/12 07:01 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by 23
Tell me something man

Yeah, I hear you man. I don't think they spent their time on the obvious stuff that I think everyone agrees on. The games are gigantic and there's is so much under the hood that plays into every single thing you see on the screen. I would bet they were more focused on deciding if the foundation was good or would they have to just start over completely. That's not a quick and easy decision for anyone.

# 179 23 @ 06/08/12 07:03 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boilerbuzz
Yeah, I hear you man. I don't think they spent their time on the obvious stuff that I think everyone agrees on. The games are gigantic and there's is so much under the hood that plays into every single thing you see on the screen. I would bet they were more focused on deciding if the foundation was good or would they have to just start over completely. That's not a quick and easy decision for anyone.
...but it was easy to decide to put in 100 man hours on faces

Dawg... thats still not the stuff the fans have been asking to get fixed

Why even brag about that?

...and therein lies their biggest problem

# 180 Paul Pierce_OS @ 06/08/12 07:05 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by 23
I dont think anything is a quick fix, but for the fact that they screwed the pooch, alienated their fans, took 2 years, and we still see some of the same stuff popping up.. Brotha there is a problem at NASA

Not only that, but people talking now are just jabbering. If they release a game that looks no different than or less than their best iteration after all of this time, then they will be blasted to high heaven Elite style

I think everybody is waiting to see, regardless of all the talk

What I find funny is the kids coming here calling old Live fans...2k fanboys
Compete agree, I'm just waiting till I see gameplay/demo to make my choice.

LOL @ the bolded part, Never got the fanboy thing man, makes no sense to me just because you prefer one series over and for someone to call you that make no sense.

Post A Comment
Only OS members can post comments
Please login or register to post a comment.