Home
Preview
Madden NFL 13 Preview

When I first heard that the franchise and superstar modes were taken out of Madden NFL 13, I was livid. Why on Earth would you destroy the offline gamer’s dream? Not cool EA, not cool.

But after getting my hands on the game, I know exactly why they “ditched” the modes. Connected Careers is basically the three modes combined into one, creating what seems to be the most immersive football gaming experience to date. You may not understand it – I didn’t at first – but in time you will.

Connected Careers can be done as a player or as a coach. If you choose player, welcome to Superstar mode; choose coach, welcome to offline franchise. You can choose to create your own guy, choose an exisiting coach or select to be a Hall of Fame player/coach – e.g., John Madden and Jerry Rice – in their rookie season. Once you’ve chosen that option, the main screen will pop up in front of you with news from the league and fake Twitter feeds of your favorite analysts like Skip Bayless and Trey Wingo. The news, for example, does a great job of getting the player immersed in the league. It even takes into account what’s actually happening since I saw one slide talking about Drew Brees’ contract talks being stalled.

Also, there is now actual incentive to practice. By practicing, you earn experience points, which in turn grant your player or coach the option to get better. For a player you can increase attributes and for a coach you can increase your persuasive skills to have key free agents sign with your team. You can also practice in specific situations such as the 2-minute drill or even a three-touchdown deficit in the third quarter. And practice isn’t the only way to gain points: each player/coach has a set of goals per game and season that they need to accomplish. You accomplish them, you get points. If you underperform, you get fired/released. Which leads me to the next point.

If you get fired/released, you are not guaranteed a roster spot or a coaching job from another team. You can actually be unwanted by all 32 NFL teams. But if this does happen to you, you don’t have to give up. You can create a new coach and go to a new team in the same “franchise.” If you coached the Seahawks for seven years and your new guy gets hired by St. Louis, then you’ll enjoy pounding on the same Seattle team you controlled for so long. It really helps you stay connected in your very own world of the NFL.

Scouting has also improved a lot. Now you can see actual player ratings before the draft, and there are plenty of busts and gems. For example, I scouted a cornerback that was all over the news and Twitter and ranked No. 4 overall on the big board and he turned out to be garbage. His rating was 71; his speed was 75; his man and zone coverage were both in the 60s. He had bust written all over him. But without scouting him, anyone would have taken him in a heartbeat. Love it.

One of my personal favorite features added into the game is the fact that retired players and coaches can come out of retirement, including ones who are currently retired and not even in Madden NFL 12. I never saw any of this happen – it’s rare – but someone did see Kurt Warner come back. And let’s be honest, if this feature is in the game, so is Brett Favre.

When it comes down to it, Connected Careers is the heart and soul of this football game. The integration and immersion are very advanced to what we have ever seen in a sports game. If the replayability holds up the way the Madden team says, and the way I honestly feel, then we're all in for a long overdue football gaming experience.

Madden NFL 13 Videos
Member Comments
# 21 nvinceable1 @ 06/07/12 01:53 PM
@ Pacman3000 and joeyi05

My understanding is that if you're a coach (or a player) who gets fired, you have two options. 1) Hold out hope that a new team hires you, if that doesn't happen I believe your coach (or player) gets automatically retired. In which case, you have to create a new one in order to continue your CC mode and can presumably take over the same team you just got fired from with your new coach. I'm not 100% positive that you can take over any team you want when you create a new coach, but that's what I assume. 2) The other option is that you can immediately retire your coach (or player) at any time. So if you are only interested in coaching a particular team and they fire you, just immediately retire that coach and create a new one - which leads right back to option one.

There's a few blog posts here about CC: http://www.easports.com/madden-nfl/news

It's not all entirely clear cut, but that's how I understand it.

# 22 TheBleedingRed21 @ 06/07/12 01:54 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by PacMan3000
Thanks Rbower. I'm at work, so I can't watch videos on the mode.

So...does every single player have goals they need to meet? Or is it just a handful of team goals?

Because I'm trying to understand...let's say a goal is to have a RB get 2,000 yards, and he does--do I get XP points for *him* specifically to only progress *him*, or am I gaining XP points that sort of go into a big team pot, and I can then distribute them amongst anyone on the team?
I am pretty sure I am understanding the XP system enough to be confident on what I am telling you.

If you are a coach, you have TEAM goals. Meaning you might have to get so many yards per season, etc. If you are a PLAYER, you have specific goals to your player. Such as if you are a backup HB (such as in the video I watched) you will have a goal of like 1,000 yards which is ranked below the goal VERY HARD. Since as a backup HB, you probably will not reach that but it rewards you 20,000 XP for it (keep in mind that speed was still like 45,000 so you are not gonna be a 99 speed guy right away). As a coach, you have things you can buy such as position perks (as I call it), you could buy a FREE AGENT QB PACKAGE, and that would mean that when you try to sign a QB during free agency, he would be interested in your team more than others that did not have the perk. Another was like Developmental Trait (or something like that) and that allowed you to earn more XP for completing goals. And these things were not cheap either. Also for a player you could buy traits for your player. Everything is done excellent IMO and I am very excited to try it first hand. I have watched almost every video on E3 thread so if you have anymore, I will do my best to answer for ya.

# 23 trey2k198003 @ 06/07/12 01:55 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by joeyi05
What if I am the coach of the 49ers in an online franchise and i get fired. Ut still want to be the 49ers?
Can i just become whoever the new coach is? This takes away from the GM aspect of hiring/ firing staff. Dumb
no....
at first you try to get another coaching job....IF you cannot find one you have to retire youre coach and at that point you can create another coach or player for whatever team. Im gueesing to get fired from a team and become unhirable you have to be pretty damn bad.

# 24 Td1984 @ 06/07/12 01:57 PM
If automatic progression is gone, goodbye idea of being a coach. I don't like the idea of having to micromanage that much because I'd undoubtedly mess it up. I'd sooner spend my coach XP on improving myself.

# 25 TheBleedingRed21 @ 06/07/12 01:59 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Td1984
If automatic progression is gone, goodbye idea of being a coach. I don't like the idea of having to micromanage that much because I'd undoubtedly mess it up. I'd sooner spend my coach XP on improving myself.
It is simple my man, set your progression to CPU. Back to automatic progression.

# 26 trey2k198003 @ 06/07/12 02:05 PM
bowers thanks for the info its sounding like everytrhing ive wanted in the past years is coming to light.....

# 27 Bolsen @ 06/07/12 02:08 PM
Please tell us what that says on the bottom if the screenshot, what did the whole thing say?

# 28 MarcDub @ 06/07/12 02:20 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by trey2k198003
where did you read that you cannot edit youre teams numbers and etc?
Senior designer Josh Looman said it.. & it's on his twitter feed somewhere as well where he was goin back & forth with someone else who really wanted to be able to do it...

# 29 MarcDub @ 06/07/12 02:22 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by SportsGamer2
Please tell us what that says on the bottom if the screenshot, what did the whole thing say?
Just go 2 nfl.com That's not a storyline from the game.. It's the nfl.com ticker... That's an article on nfl.com

# 30 DeuceDouglas @ 06/07/12 02:25 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by SportsGamer2
The stuff that scrolls at the bottom of the screen are real-life stories. It scrolls when you're signed into XBOX live. It's about Tebow and Lolo Jones.

# 31 GlennN @ 06/07/12 02:35 PM
Not to go all Allen Iverson here, but the talk about practice bothers me. When I see:

"Also, there is now actual incentive to practice. By practicing, you earn experience points, which in turn grant your player or coach the option to get better."

I get concerned by this. I have a job and a family, so my play time is pretty limited. I want to play games, I don't want to practice. It reminds me of when the previous versions of Madden made you do skills drills to get points. I hated that taking time away from playing the games (especially since they STILL don't allow you to save mid-game - sorry pet peeve of mine). I guess my question is whether my players will still be able to progress if I don't practice at all.

# 32 ebugaloo @ 06/07/12 02:36 PM
Have you had a chance to look at the Connected Careers website, to get a feel for how that works?

# 33 Ninomarley @ 06/07/12 02:44 PM
So no more importing draft classes from ncaa 13? If we cant can we edit the class are self *weight, attributes, height??

# 34 PRAY IV M3RCY @ 06/07/12 02:49 PM
Im still confused about something. If i create a player does that change where my career starts like will there be an nfl draft is there anyway i can determine where i can go in the draft r what

# 35 AiDub @ 06/07/12 02:53 PM
I do have a question. I read this and the official developer blog over at EA concerning CCM. When playing Madden in the past I have never made it to that 30 year mark as I usually start over halfway through. This mode sounds like you can retire a player/coach in the middle of a career and start fresh with another. Does that mean that an extra 30 years will be tacked on or are you just running on that same clock. Also since i've never made it to year 30, does it just end at that point or can you keep going beyond that?

# 36 PRAY IV M3RCY @ 06/07/12 02:54 PM
And i cant believe userw cnt play on the same team..really does mess up things when it comes to fa period meaning i cant sign with this team.because a user already.plays for that team

# 37 FreAk47 @ 06/07/12 02:59 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by PRAY IV M3RCY
And i cant believe userw cnt play on the same team..really does mess up things when it comes to fa period meaning i cant sign with this team.because a user already.plays for that team
Yea, hopefully they can work that in for future versions...it would be fun to play on the same team as a friend and work together each controlling an individual player.

# 38 Pete1210 @ 06/07/12 03:42 PM
For those concerned about getting fired as a coach, you can turn that option off or on when you start your franchise.

# 39 sonn @ 06/07/12 04:05 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by SA1NT401
So I can no longer control 32 teams? If that's the case.... Then that's absolutely stupid. Franchise teams simply can not manage their teams properly.

I would like confirmation on this. I'm offline 100% and have ZERO desire to ever play online.

---
I am here: http://tapatalk.com/map.php?2q0oyg
+1.

I usually play franchise mode with a buddy on the same console and have a lot of fun doing that. My interest in the game drops almost to zero if this is true. I'll just stick to NCAA and 2k13.

# 40 themassacre771.1 @ 06/07/12 04:13 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by sonn
+1.

I usually play franchise mode with a buddy on the same console and have a lot of fun doing that. My interest in the game drops almost to zero if this is true. I'll just stick to NCAA and 2k13.
100% confirmed.

Post A Comment
Only OS members can post comments
Please login or register to post a comment.