Home
Preview
Madden NFL 13 Preview

When I first heard that the franchise and superstar modes were taken out of Madden NFL 13, I was livid. Why on Earth would you destroy the offline gamer’s dream? Not cool EA, not cool.

But after getting my hands on the game, I know exactly why they “ditched” the modes. Connected Careers is basically the three modes combined into one, creating what seems to be the most immersive football gaming experience to date. You may not understand it – I didn’t at first – but in time you will.

Connected Careers can be done as a player or as a coach. If you choose player, welcome to Superstar mode; choose coach, welcome to offline franchise. You can choose to create your own guy, choose an exisiting coach or select to be a Hall of Fame player/coach – e.g., John Madden and Jerry Rice – in their rookie season. Once you’ve chosen that option, the main screen will pop up in front of you with news from the league and fake Twitter feeds of your favorite analysts like Skip Bayless and Trey Wingo. The news, for example, does a great job of getting the player immersed in the league. It even takes into account what’s actually happening since I saw one slide talking about Drew Brees’ contract talks being stalled.

Also, there is now actual incentive to practice. By practicing, you earn experience points, which in turn grant your player or coach the option to get better. For a player you can increase attributes and for a coach you can increase your persuasive skills to have key free agents sign with your team. You can also practice in specific situations such as the 2-minute drill or even a three-touchdown deficit in the third quarter. And practice isn’t the only way to gain points: each player/coach has a set of goals per game and season that they need to accomplish. You accomplish them, you get points. If you underperform, you get fired/released. Which leads me to the next point.

If you get fired/released, you are not guaranteed a roster spot or a coaching job from another team. You can actually be unwanted by all 32 NFL teams. But if this does happen to you, you don’t have to give up. You can create a new coach and go to a new team in the same “franchise.” If you coached the Seahawks for seven years and your new guy gets hired by St. Louis, then you’ll enjoy pounding on the same Seattle team you controlled for so long. It really helps you stay connected in your very own world of the NFL.

Scouting has also improved a lot. Now you can see actual player ratings before the draft, and there are plenty of busts and gems. For example, I scouted a cornerback that was all over the news and Twitter and ranked No. 4 overall on the big board and he turned out to be garbage. His rating was 71; his speed was 75; his man and zone coverage were both in the 60s. He had bust written all over him. But without scouting him, anyone would have taken him in a heartbeat. Love it.

One of my personal favorite features added into the game is the fact that retired players and coaches can come out of retirement, including ones who are currently retired and not even in Madden NFL 12. I never saw any of this happen – it’s rare – but someone did see Kurt Warner come back. And let’s be honest, if this feature is in the game, so is Brett Favre.

When it comes down to it, Connected Careers is the heart and soul of this football game. The integration and immersion are very advanced to what we have ever seen in a sports game. If the replayability holds up the way the Madden team says, and the way I honestly feel, then we're all in for a long overdue football gaming experience.

Madden NFL 13 Videos
Member Comments
# 61 AiDub @ 06/07/12 07:56 PM
To the people complaining about not being able to control 32 teams in CCM... I think EA is trying to tell you something... Go make some friends and play online!

# 62 J.R. @ 06/07/12 08:16 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by JerseySuave4
i don't enjoy online and the majority of people who buy the game don't play online.

# 63 Retropyro @ 06/07/12 08:49 PM
There are some things I'm not clear about yet, but I'm sure the answers are coming as we get closer to release.
There are some things I don't like and there are some things that I love.

But most of all, hats off to EA/Tiburon. They done a complete overhaul on this game. They have added so much that the community has been begging for. And yes they have removed a few things, but overhauling a game like this means some things need to go, for now at least.

I just can not get my head around some of the negativity towards what has been done. Year after year people complain that Madden is nothing more than a $59.99 roster update with some useless gimmick added to it. Not going to argue that point with the last few releases. But then they do this massive update and completely change the game (real time physics alone would have made me happy) and people still complain.

Constructive criticism is one thing and should be encouraged, but most of what I see is just flat out complaining simply to complain. I swear some people just see "EA" or "Madden" and start throwing out senseless complaints about the game where it is obvious they have not even taken the time to read/watch/listen to the information that has been released.

Madden 13 so far, not perfect, definitely on the right track and getting there fast.

# 64 metovics8 @ 06/07/12 09:14 PM
yea bcuz when people want actually stuff added to the game and not some gimmick i am sure they arent expecting other stuff to be removed... thats why people complain... CCM sounds good really it does but the stuff they removed is negative to how i play the game.. my brothers and i each control our own fav teams and play on one console and we've been doing that since madden 99 and now we cant do that when they finally make some great improvements.. i feel it was an oversight on their part to remove this.. if they somehow kept the ability to control all 32 teams at least offline then this is great.. i understand one team/player online but not off

# 65 8 @ 06/07/12 09:29 PM
I think what some are not understanding is that the game has been overhauled, they didn't add gimmicks like EA normally does. In order to overhaul the game some things didn't make it into this years game because most likely time didnt permit it. Does it stink that certain things didn't make it in this year? Sure it does, but what they are trying to do is exactly what most people wanted, and while some functions are missing this year they are making great strides in the right direction.

# 66 edaddy @ 06/07/12 10:10 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by King88
I think what some are not understanding is that the game has been overhauled, they didn't add gimmicks like EA normally does. In order to overhaul the game some things didn't make it into this years game because most likely time didnt permit it. Does it stink that certain things didn't make it in this year? Sure it does, but what they are trying to do is exactly what most people wanted, and while some functions are missing this year they are making great strides in the right direction.
Thats cool but what you are minimizing is the fact that those features that EA took were the most important features that people wanted out of franchise mode.People demanded and clamored for the ability to edit players in franchise mode for years and when it was added last year it was because according to EA they wanted to provide full customization to the player. So instead of improving upon on by maybe adding the ability to adjust height weight etc they take it out?. Secondly like someone else stated had EA told gamers that in Madden 13 we are planning to get rid of franchise mode including the ability to edit players, control all teams playbooks and substitutions and implement a connected caeer mode that isnt fully dunctional the way way we want it now but will be in 14 what do you think the reaction from the community would have been?. I can probably venture that it wouldnt be positive. I am in the train of thought that If CC didnt actually improve upon franchise mode this year dueo to it not being fully functional due to time constraints or whatever then wait anothr year to implement it correctly and do it the right way. Franchise mode should have been improved this year with CC being ready to implement next year.And quite honestly I cant believe we are at the point where we are saying "just wwait until next year when everything will be implemented and we will finally get the Madden we want".Cmon how long have we been saying wait until next year.I truly hope that CC is everything that EA hopes for but there hasx to be a realization that they essentially alienated a segment of their consumers. until

# 67 Nba2kDaBest @ 06/07/12 10:16 PM
If you do a 2 player online CCM, do you have to play evey game or can you sim the one's that's against the computer?

# 68 8 @ 06/07/12 10:41 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by edaddy
Thats cool but what you are minimizing is the fact that those features that EA took were the most important features that people wanted out of franchise mode.People demanded and clamored for the ability to edit players in franchise mode for years and when it was added last year it was because according to EA they wanted to provide full customization to the player. So instead of improving upon on by maybe adding the ability to adjust height weight etc they take it out?. Secondly like someone else stated had EA told gamers that in Madden 13 we are planning to get rid of franchise mode including the ability to edit players, control all teams playbooks and substitutions and implement a connected caeer mode that isnt fully dunctional the way way we want it now but will be in 14 what do you think the reaction from the community would have been?. I can probably venture that it wouldnt be positive. I am in the train of thought that If CC didnt actually improve upon franchise mode this year dueo to it not being fully functional due to time constraints or whatever then wait anothr year to implement it correctly and do it the right way. Franchise mode should have been improved this year with CC being ready to implement next year.And quite honestly I cant believe we are at the point where we are saying "just wwait until next year when everything will be implemented and we will finally get the Madden we want".Cmon how long have we been saying wait until next year.I truly hope that CC is everything that EA hopes for but there hasx to be a realization that they essentially alienated a segment of their consumers. until

The biggest problem is that EA will never please everyone. If they waited another year to roll out RTP and connected career a large group of people would yell about madden being the same and doing nothing to make the game better. They can't win, but in the long run the game will be better for what they are doing now. Another problem is the "I want everything now" type of attitude some have. Of course everyone is entitled to their opinion, and in mine I believe the few things that didn't make it this year are a small price to pay for getting this franchise back on track.

# 69 bichettehappens @ 06/07/12 11:05 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by b2th3m1th
I'm still not convinced that all of these modes need to be one mode. I liked being a GM personally. Hiring my staff and making draft selections. I play a couple games a year but mainly sim. SO this takes all of that away from me. Thanks EA, the one year you make madden playable, you manage to make it unplayable
Huh? How does connected careers take any of that away from you? The only thing I'm not certain of is "hiring the staff" as I haven't heard any news about that in either direction. But you can still make all GM-type roster moves that you could previously, make draft selections, and play or sim games.

# 70 bichettehappens @ 06/08/12 12:10 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by b2th3m1th
thats one of the biggest parts of it. They should have just kept the modes separate.
The thing is, the community (at least on OS) had been asking for the modes to be combined; EA listened. Trust me, in the long run this is for our benefit even though it may be a short-term annoyance. Making improvements and corrections for 1 game mode is much easier and quicker than having to make them on 2 or 3 separate ones.

If hiring is in fact gone this year (hopefully a GC or someone can confirm whether coordinators are or are not there), I'd recommend getting a post up on the Game Changers 'Idea' portion of the EA site and posting it in the wishlist threads here. Personally, I've always thought the hiring was more cosmetic and for effect than anything and didn't really have any impact on the field, but it was definitely a nice realistic touch.

Nonetheless, I'd like to see it still be a part of the game myself, and hopefully they can actually do so in a way that actually MEANS something (different coordinators changing your schemes and default playbooks, helping increase chances for the XP you can earn at certain positions)

# 71 BostonsDaBest @ 06/08/12 12:37 AM
The players coming back from retirement feature has me thinking of a Super Bowl commercial from a couple years back where Brett Favre is holding a holographic Super Bowl MVP trophy in the year 2020. And to think now, I can finally make that a reality. Let's bring Brett out of retirement (yet again) EA!

# 72 RamsFan5545 @ 06/08/12 01:45 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Retropyro
I'm a little unclear about this still and concerned. If I create a coach or player, I want to use them for a career.

If my players contract runs out, I want to go through being a UFA as that player and try to get signed. Same with the coach if he is fired or has his contract end.
you don't automatically have to retire, you have a chance of signing but if you were bad enough than your kinda outta luck, it all depends on performance which is where the realism of it comes in

# 73 RamsFan5545 @ 06/08/12 02:05 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Retropyro
I was kind of hoping the coaching career would be similar to NCAA Dynasty, where maybe I play out my contract and then go to another team as the same coach.
thats basically what it is, you don't have to resign with the same team you can test free agency or other teams if your the coach

# 74 secondsolution @ 06/08/12 02:09 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by BostonsDaBest
The players coming back from retirement feature has me thinking of a Super Bowl commercial from a couple years back where Brett Favre is holding a holographic Super Bowl MVP trophy in the year 2020. And to think now, I can finally make that a reality. Let's bring Brett out of retirement (yet again) EA!
That is one of the features that has me most intrigued, like how many past players and coaches they have that will come out of retirement, how their ratings will be affected and if they would just play for one year then retire again.

# 75 RamsFan5545 @ 06/08/12 02:14 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by J.R.
couldn't think of a better response myself lol

# 76 RamsFan5545 @ 06/08/12 02:21 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by edaddy
there at the end didn't you just say to wait til next year to add the better mode (being CC) but then say its ******** that we're saying wait til next year for a feature as small as editing players (i hate to see it go myself but its worth it with a deeper mode.) you kinda contradicted yourself there pal

# 77 RamsFan5545 @ 06/08/12 02:22 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by js3512
Can you have more than one offline connected careers save file on the same consol?

Example: Could I have one connected careers file where I'm the coach of the Bears and another completely seperate connected careers file where I'm the coach of the Browns?
you'd have to do them on two separate profiles

# 78 secondsolution @ 06/08/12 02:36 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by RamsFan5545
you'd have to do them on two separate profiles
That's not true, Josh Looman has already said that you can have multiple saves just not multiple players in one CC.

# 79 Skyboxer @ 06/08/12 03:58 AM
Personally I am looking forward to this Madden a LOT. More than I've had in years.
I'm sure the "features" taken out will return. Everyone complains Madden is same ole same ole every year...
They make changes and they get hammered.
EA is screwed either way.

Now if the editing etc.. doesn't return over time AND there is no justifiable reason, then ok jump on them.
Until then I'm happy we aren't getting another roster update with a new year in the title and I'm very hopefull we are seeing a sort of rebirth of teh Madden fun.

# 80 secondsolution @ 06/08/12 04:07 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Skyboxer
Personally I am looking forward to this Madden a LOT. More than I've had in years.
Same, most years I'm pretty pumped for it. This year I'm on a whole other level!

Post A Comment
Only OS members can post comments
Please login or register to post a comment.